Can we win the Europa League?

There just is something about Gerrard and European football, I don't think defensively we are strong enough but we can score goals against anyone, a huge ask but we couldn't could we?

Yup, I really think we can. Absolutely brilliant feeling being a bear. European last 16 draw tomorrow, few more big European nights, winning 55, skudding Celtic every time we play. We're on the crest of a wave

There just is something about Gerrard and European football, I don't think defensively we are strong enough but we can score goals against anyone, a huge ask but we couldn't could we?
cites benitez as one of the best managers he has worked under.

rafa was very very decent as a cup manager.

These two games we set up to attack the opposition as they concede goals as well as score, we got the tactics right though conceded five but scored nine. I think the backroom guys will know what is required for each opponent. With our squad we can tighten up at the back and hit teams on the break giving us a chance against anyone. Bring them on.

Would doubt it , I would love nothing more but lets just be thankful every single team who are left in it doesn't fancy drawing us tomorrow and we will take it a game at a time

I know its not the Lounge but surely there should still be some sort of "I'm gay" option in the poll.

Head says yes
Heart sags start looking at hotels and flights in Gdansk.

Key to get the League done and dusted asap.
A kind draw and then go all in and you never know.

Couldn't care about Scottish Cup.

Yes.
Slavia Prague are beating Leicester just now so that would be one of the major threats out the way of stays the same or if Leicester just get 1 goal

Not a chance unfortunately
We've got a chance, although every round we progress to we're stepping up a level as regards quality of teams but depending on the draw we can reach the last four, we get to that stage we'll have a great chance. We have to stiffen up at the back though, all very well having a great defensive record in the SPFL but we have to be better at the back in Europe. However no doubt the management will work on that

To win it would be out of this world and the way this season is panning out, I wouldn't be surprised. Truth is, I am content that we have matched our achievement of last year and the goal should now be to go one round better. Anything beyond that would be sensational.

Yes.

I firmly believe we can. Sometimes, a group of relatively unknown players comes together under a new manager and becomes and achieves something special (and against the odds) on the European stage.

I think we can be that team this season.

We definitely can win it. We’ll need a big slice of luck but it’s not out with the realms of possibility. Keep believing Bears.

The carrot of the winners entering the CL next season would suggest that the bigger guns will come out blazing to achieve this. Particularly the English clubs floating about he 5th, 6th, 7th places in the EPL.
Having said that, a favourable draw and the semis would not be a surprise.

some ridiculously good sides left in this.

so yeah.
I know your post is part tongue in cheek but the level of teams in the Europa League compared to previous seasons is ridiculous, the carrot of Champions League football if you win it has made teams take it much more seriously now.

Unfortunately I don't think we have the slightest chance anymore. Its just too difficult now for teams outside the big 5 leagues to compete. We've done great to get this far but i'd say the quarter finals is as far as we can go, and even that is reliant on an extremely friendly draw. It's only a matter of time before we meet a side that's in a different league financially, and as good as our defence is domestically, it just isn't good enough to withstand a team of a higher caliber forwards.

My reply remains the same as my, much maligned, prediction at group stage, we’re going all the way!

If we can tighten things up a bit defensively then I don't see any reason why we cannot go close. In Europe I feel we can score goals against anyone.

Tighten up at the back and we’ll give any team something to think about in this competition. Still leaking soft goals but nobody would be comfortable at the back if our frontline is on it’s game like tonight.

Possible? Yes. Likely? Probably not but not the pipe dream daftness it might have been the last few years.

Maybe. Not a definite no. A lot depends on the draws and biggest teams disappearing. But already tonight Lille, Napoli, Salzburg, Real Sociedad and Benfica gone. Leverkusen and Leicester in trouble.

I'd say no, but frustratingly if this side plus management team had been around 5 or 6 years ago we would have had a real chance when frankly the competition was looked upon more dismissively by the big guns. Auntie, balls and all that.

I know your post is part tongue in cheek but the level of teams in the Europa League compared to previous seasons is ridiculous, the carrot of Champions League football if you win it has made teams take it much more seriously now.
fully agree and ive been on the wine

there are a lot of teams left in there that are serious players at this level. in some ways id rather we drew a man utd or arsenal as opposed to a shakhtar as i think we would be comprehensively torn to bits by some of the perceived "lesser" sides

focus seems to be on the danger of the english sides but for me, we would be reasonably well equipped against them (not saying we would go through) but the lesser known sides that are left in the pot are without a doubt a tough proposition

Of course we can. We'd need a hell of a lot of luck and our team to be at top of their game but we absolutely could win it.

Do I think we will? No, the next round or last 8 is probably about our level, but it wouldn't be the biggest shock of all time if we went all the way.

We will probably have to in order to stay ahead of Ukraine in the coefficient. Celtic shitting the bed yet again has really hurt it.

Back