Can you remember a game where Rangers used more of the dark arts than the opposition ?

This has always annoyed me a bit.

Another thing that bothers me is how little we get in the referees face and put a bit of pressure on them. When Motherwell started time wasting we should have been pointing out every instance and blowing up at it. And even beyond just yesterday, there are loads of times I feel we've had a really good penalty shout, or a bad tackle against one of our players, and everyone just jogs away instead of screaming for a decision. Even if we don't get that one we should be getting in the referees head for the next.

The thing is we expect better.

Remember when Lafferty did that going down holding his face thing? Or even when Muscat did similar against Thistle? The vast majority of us were embarrassed. Other teams supporters cheer that shit.

2-0 game in November 2004.

Alex Rae outlennoned Lennon and Lovenkrands got Thompson sent off.

Rae was absolutely magnificent that day. Far too savvy for their shite and played Celtic at their own game and beat them hands down

It was the first time under Eck we actually physically stood up to them and refused to be intimidated since Amo et al had left.

Yesterday was one of the worst I can remember. The ball must have been in play about 15 minutes total for the second half.

They we’re wasting time from the first minute of the game, Kelly obviously paid attention to McGregor, as at every goal kick he went over to get the ball if it was at the boards he was deliberately fumbling about like McGregor does in the 90th not the 1st minute. Every time it was in his hands it was at least 15 seconds before he released it.

A minute was wasted at every throw in O’Donnell went to take.

It was a Steve Clarke at Kilmarnock rerun, waste as much time as you can, even if 1 down as generally every team get worn down with frustration and the opposition generally get a chance.

As usual like fools we fell for it, we knew it was coming did we do anything to counter it ?

Even when they were wasting time our players were just sauntering about allowing it to happen I didn’t once see any of our players get on to McLean.

Sometimes you have to have more than a Plan A

I’m sure there’s footage somewhere of a crowd down south counting out the referees paces at a free kick for where the wall should stand and giving a big cheer when he got it right.

Might be an idea for the crowd to start chanting 1, 2, 3 etc when the keeper has the ball in his hands. Certainly makes it a lot harder for the ref to ignore it and draws attention to the time wasting.

Would allow it to be brought up in post-match interviews as to why the crowd have reached 15 and the ref still isn’t doing anything about it.

2-0 game in November 2004.

Alex Rae outlennoned Lennon and Lovenkrands got Thompson sent off.

Rae was absolutely magnificent that day. Far too savvy for their shite and played Celtic at their own game and beat them hands down

It was the first time under Eck we actually physically stood up to them and refused to be intimidated since Amo et al had left.

Is that the game Sutton handballed it to get himself sent off?

A few times against Celtic in the past,

When we won at their cesspit to all but secure 9 in a row that patched up team fought more than played.

Remember Fergie blasting the ball right into their stand and gerry McNee saying 'That's rather foolish from Ian Ferguson." :D

Another thing that bothers me is how little we get in the referees face and put a bit of pressure on them. When Motherwell started time wasting we should have been pointing out every instance and blowing up at it. And even beyond just yesterday, there are loads of times I feel we've had a really good penalty shout, or a bad tackle against one of our players, and everyone just jogs away instead of screaming for a decision. Even if we don't get that one we should be getting in the referees head for the next.
I have seen our players get booked when they do that!!

Yesterday was one of the worst I can remember. The ball must have been in play about 15 minutes total for the second half.

They we’re wasting time from the first minute of the game, Kelly obviously paid attention to McGregor, as at every goal kick he went over to get the ball if it was at the boards he was deliberately fumbling about like McGregor does in the 90th not the 1st minute. Every time it was in his hands it was at least 15 seconds before he released it.

A minute was wasted at every throw in O’Donnell went to take.

It was a Steve Clarke at Kilmarnock rerun, waste as much time as you can, even if 1 down as generally every team get worn down with frustration and the opposition generally get a chance.

As usual like fools we fell for it, we knew it was coming did we do anything to counter it ?

Even when they were wasting time our players were just sauntering about allowing it to happen I didn’t once see any of our players get on to McLean.

Sometimes you have to have more than a Plan A

some of the players were giving McLean it tight later on when one of theirs went down with nothing again

the difference is that McGregor starts what Kelly was doing yesterday and he gets warned & has to curtail it

Mclean should've been right on their antics

Take the responsibility of time-keeping off the referee. Rugby style clock in the stadium required. Every time a player goes down the clock stops. Clock doesn't start again until the ball is kicked and in play. It will also cut out the time wasting opportunity for goalkeepers taking their time over goal kicks.

We are refereed differently so we wouldn't be allowed to.
Going to be controversial here and say I don't think we are.I have played loads of games at a lower level and watched a lot at different levels and some decisions need to be seen to be believed.Yesterday we got away with an offside goal and they had a good case for a penalty and so did we and none was given.We also got 6 minutes of injury time which was fair enough.

Back hand payments to Gordon Marshall when he played for Kilmarnock and again for Motherwell. On both occasions we won the league on last day of the season. But keep it to yourself... :shh:

We were good that day. O’Neill and Lennon stoating across the pitch like a pair of drunks
I actually felt a bit sorry for Lennon when O'Neil did that. He just didn't want to be there.

And, if you can remember, O'Neil said to him "Don't worry about these orange b&&&&&ds". Which was ridiculous and swept under the carpet.

Ive seen time wasting but yesterday's game was something else and only one booked for it and had a sneer on his face at the time, one of them jumping mad at the corner when they scored about two minutes later when they decided to slowly make their way back he sat down holding his leg absolute disgrace.

Mentioned this to McRod on the way home yesterday , none of us could think of a single time , both in our 50s .
Remember when Lionel Messi and Ruud Gullit accused us of playing anti-football after we played Barcelona in 2007.

What would they have made of Murderwell's tactics yesterday. In comparison we played like the free flowing Brazilians of the 1982 World Cup against the Catalan Galactico's

Going to be controversial here and say I don't think we are.I have played loads of games at a lower level and watched a lot at different levels and some decisions need to be seen to be believed.Yesterday we got away with an offside goal and they had a good case for a penalty and so did we and none was given.We also got 6 minutes of injury time which was fair enough.
No, we didn't.

As for the 6 mins injury time, Motherwell made a substitution during the added time, yet the 30 seconds minimum referees are instructed to add was not added. In fact, we were in a promising attack when Mclean blew up.

Remember when Lionel Messi and Ruud Gullit accused us of playing anti-football after we played Barcelona in 2007.

What would they have made of Murderwell's tactics yesterday. In comparison we played like the free flowing Brazilians of the 1982 World Cup against the Catalan Galactico's
I’ve always maintained a healthy dislike for messi since that game , quite recently on here a poster explained that he never even said it , one of our neutral hacks said it to Messi .
Brilliant player but not in Pele’s class imo

Last edited:
I remember after that game I watched the RTV analysis , then later on that evening watched the septic tv version , I thought jim craig was gonna burst a blood vessel , edited .

supposed to have quoted SDF’s post

No, we didn't.

As for the 6 mins injury time, Motherwell made a substitution during the added time, yet the 30 seconds minimum referees are instructed to add was not added. In fact, we were in a promising attack when Mclean blew up.
Didn't think so at the game as it happened so quick but having re watched it on the TV he clearly is offside,it's not even Close. The only people to blame are the players for not taking their chances,making wrong decisions and overhitting simple passes,the game should have been out of site.

Shagger does it in Europe and against the Tim’s. N we all love him for it of course Motherwell used these tactics at 1-1 or even at 1-0 they just wanted to stay in the game. We should put the game out of sight no1s fault but our own.

I can remember being one up on Them on a freezing day and we kept the ball boys in at halftime saying it was too cold, They we’re not amused-;)

The thing is we expect better.

Remember when Lafferty did that going down holding his face thing? Or even when Muscat did similar against Thistle? The vast majority of us were embarrassed. Other teams supporters cheer that shit.
Hated that he did it but now I would not blink an eye giving what was encouraged by pundits, scum journalists, match officials, opposing players and opposing fans against us!

Not so much shithousery as just the dark arts of the day. My first game at Ibrox vs Inter Milan in Nov 84… I’ve watched it back on YouTube and we were dirty as fk.
Ally Dawson smashed their winger in the coupon with his elbow at one point as he threatened to go past him, brutal.
Archie McPherson (paraphrasing) “strong defending from Dawson there”
A straight red nowadays.

Back