Candeias > Ojo

Just as an aside, Candeias has played the full 90 minutes for his new team in each of their 4 matches so far this season. He has 1 assist. They have 1 point from 12 as far as I can tell and are currently languishing in last place in the league table. They play the league leaders tomorrow.
Is it too late to change his mind? :D

Gerrard has said ojo one minute can score a screamer then miss a sitter. You can see he has pace power and a strike on him. I'm happy with his contribution so far and when Kent comes back and teams double up on him that will leave more space for the likes of ojo

If Ojo had the work rate to match his forward play ability, he wouldn’t be at us. Liverpool have loaned him to us as he’s an incomplete player. He will win us more games than Candeias did, we really don’t need our wingers to be second full backs in the majority of games we play in. The 7 outfield players behind him in a 433 should be more than enough for the defensive duties , let him play forward and win us games

I didn't want DC to leave. It's worth remembering he was pretty frustrating himself. Like from the winter break to the end of last season. He was essentially cack.
Ojo is just a lad still. He'll be inconsistent at times. It's not fair to compare him to a 30 year old.

It’s like some of the biggest cheers on Thursday were for tackles. Scottish football and fans are weird as %^*&.

To be honest I'm guilty of that too. I'll cheer on a big crunching 50/50. I think that's a British football thing too, I've seen it plenty of times watching English football as well.

The difference being it's not the only thing I look at from a player, espcially a wide player.

Kent started off last season slowly as well, took until the second half of the season to really find his feet, we've now happily paid a fortune for him lets give Ojo time.

Just an opinion but Candeias offered far more to us than Ojo does. People can cite stats all they want, but for the balance of the team Candeias definitely offered more. Tav looked far more comfortable having Candeias in front of him as well.
We score more goals with Ojo.

The right sided midfielder takes more resposibility now and moves out wide to shore up or drops in.

Ojo has stacks of potential and will hit 15 plus goals his season no bother.

Just an opinion but Candeias offered far more to us than Ojo does. People can cite stats all they want, but for the balance of the team Candeias definitely offered more. Tav looked far more comfortable having Candeias in front of him as well.
100% agree but it was Candeilas sections to leave as Gerrard could not guarantee him game time, nor should he. No man is bigger than the club.

It’s like some of the biggest cheers on Thursday were for tackles. Scottish football and fans are weird as %^*&.

I actually think it's good that supporters appreciate different areas of the game. Our defenders make a fair but hard challenge and win the ball and our crowd reacts and applauds. Elsewhere in Europe this might not happen, I am glad we appreciate this part of the game because it's just as important as the attacking side.

It's not weird at all. It's called supporting your team and players.

Bottom line is Candeias’s ego couldn’t handle having to fight for his place so spat the dummy & left.
Cut off his nose to spite his face

Bottom line is Candeias’s ego couldn’t handle having to fight for his place so spat the dummy & left.
Cut off his nose to spite his face

One way of looking at it.

Candeias wasn't even included in the 23 man Europa League squad so as a footballer now in his 30s, would he rather go elsewhere and actually play football in his last few years or potentially sit in the stands?

No brainer really.

Agreed, more assured and more tactically aware.

We shouldn't really compare a player who had became used to playing for Rangers over 3 seasons to someone who just arrived 3 months ago.

Ojo is learning and on his day will deliver bigger and better performances than Candeias could.

I miss Candeias as him and Tav on the right always filled me with confidence but come the end of the season we could all be posting #AnnounceOjo as it took Kent a wee bit of time to be accepted by the fans too.

Ojo has some great raw material. But he struggles with decision making. I think as the season goes on he will improve.

This for me, you can see it when he gets time to think. He can’t decide. He seems better when it’s just a case of go with it.

To be honest, I’ll be happier when it’s Kent, Morelos and Arfield. I think that will help Tav no end.

One way of looking at it.

Candeias wasn't even included in the 23 man Europa League squad so as a footballer now in his 30s, would he rather go elsewhere and actually play football in his last few years or potentially sit in the stands?

No brainer really.

No brainier for you, maybe. Different people want different things.

I’d rather fight for appearances with somebody than be guaranteed games with nobody.

Ojo is pretty terrible but DC wanted out. What exactly could we do to guarantee him a strat every week?

Ojo is pretty terrible but DC wanted out. What exactly could we do to guarantee him a strat every week?

But I thought I had read that his statistics thus far have been excellent and better that Kent over the same period last season ? Seems he has scored 5 in 12 appearances not to mention assists ! I may have got that wrong !

But I thought I had read that his statistics thus far have been excellent and better that Kent over the same period last season ? Seems he has scored 5 in 12 appearances not to mention assists ! I may have got that wrong !

Stats aren't everything though.

For me, Ojo seems to play better once we're already ahead and the game is in the bag. Other than that he hides/takes the safe option.

Feyenoord goal was still a belter right enough, he obviously has that in his locker I just wish he'd be a bit more direct when taking on defenders.

Stats aren't everything though.

For me, Ojo seems to play better once we're already ahead and the game is in the bag. Other than that he hides/takes the safe option.

Feyenoord goal was still a belter right enough, he obviously has that in his locker I just wish he'd be a bit more direct when taking on defenders.

As someone has pointed above, Ojo was probably the pick of our players first half today. When it was 0-0. He certainly wasn’t ‘hiding’.

Ojo has some great raw material. But he struggles with decision making. I think as the season goes on he will improve.
Precisely. Ojo will score and assist plenty of goals this season, more than Candeias but he is a young player and will have poor games and go missing for spells but he will get stronger as the season goes on and will prove himself to be an important player this season.

Ojo is fine , he’s got the most goals outside alfie and Defoe and he’s got more assists than anyone else , obviously I’d like him to do more work but he’s giving us far more attacking threat than candeais did , candeais would be better for the European games though

I thought Ojo had a decent game today. Again.

I thought he was decent as well certainly first half he was the only one besides Morelos who offered much from middle to front. Yet one of the multiple posters thinks he is terrible , we all see the game differently some posters like players running about a lot putting in challenges showing huge effort , doesn’t matter to them if there is any end result.
For this stage of the season he has been a success certainly better than Kent was at this stage goals and assists wise.

I thought he was decent as well certainly first half he was the only one besides Morelos who offered much from middle to front. Yet one of the multiple posters thinks he is terrible , we all see the game differently some posters like players running about a lot putting in challenges showing huge effort , doesn’t matter to them if there is any end result.
For this stage of the season he has been a success certainly better than Kent was at this stage goals and assists wise.

Another one who only uses stats for their argument.

Answer this please, who would you rather have in your team - Ojo or Kent?

Ozil or Iniesta? If football was purely about stats then Ozil is a much better player than Iniesta.

Ojo > Candeias. 100%.

I loved Candeias but this thread is nonsense. Daniel made the most of his talent with his work rate and because he worked so hard he was invariably heavily involved every game but the priorities for a wide player in our team is too provide a goal threat and assist. Ojo in his short time here already looks more likely every game to do both these things than Candeias did.

I believe over the course of the season he'll become more consistently involved in each game and if he does his numbers could be spectacular since there already pretty decent when it's obvious he's still finding his feet in this league and in our team.

Another one who only uses stats for their argument.

Answer this please, who would you rather have in your team - Ojo or Kent?

Ozil or Iniesta? If football was purely about stats then Ozil is a much better player than Iniesta.

You don't need stats to tell you that Ojo will score more goals. He won’t give you the defensive shift that Candeias did though. That comes down to the style of player each is.

We can argue about which will be the more important to the team this season. I’d contend that, ultimately, the goals will be more valuable. I’d not dispute that Tav appears less effective without Candeias though.

At the end of the day, Candeias was looking for assurances that the Manager - correctly - wasn't prepared to give him. He effectively then asked for a transfer. My line in that has always been that if a player wants out of Rangers then let them go if the deals right, whomever the player may be. Superstar or dud.

fans need to judge him in the final 3rd of the pitch, he's not going to have favorable stats on tackling etc as he's no Ryan Jack and on Thursday i was screaming him to get tighter on his man but as Gerrard said post match we actively encouraged Feyenoord to have the ball out wide so Ojo was carrying out his managers instructions

If both fit snd play the same minutes oho will score more and assist more than Kent. I said it before season started and I haven't changed my mind in the slightestI have no problem saying that

Youre naw seriously putting candeias into the same bracket as davis and shagger who on their day are world class.

Candeias had 6 goals and 7 assists in 52 games

Ojo has done that in 12.

People keep bring up the stats side of things but that doesn't give the full picture. Apart from the fact Candieas set up a number of good chances that was squandered by our attackers, so failed to register an assist, people forget that his team work is one of the reasons why Tav's stats are so high. Candieas would create space and time for Tav to provide excellent deliveries into the box, not to metion tracking back and covering for Tav when he pushes forward. Look at the impact Candieas being away has had on Tav. It may be a conincidence but I'm not so sure.
Don't get me wrong, I would have loved DC to have better stats but at the same time, he would have been one of my first picks for the right wing and I do believe we are missing him.
One final point on DC, he is a right footer that always played on the right wing. The likes of Ojo is a left footer who plays mostly on the right as an inverted winger giving more opportunity to get the type of goals he is scoring.

People keep bring up the stats side of things but that doesn't give the full picture. Apart from the fact Candieas set up a number of good chances that was squandered by our attackers, so failed to register an assist, people forget that his team work is one of the reasons why Tav's stats are so high. Candieas would create space and time for Tav to provide excellent deliveries into the box, not to metion tracking back and covering for Tav when he pushes forward. Look at the impact Candieas being away has had on Tav. It may be a conincidence but I'm not so sure.
Don't get me wrong, I would have loved DC to have better stats but at the same time, he would have been one of my first picks for the right wing and I do believe we are missing him.
One final point on DC, he is a right footer that always played on the right wing. The likes of Ojo is a left footer who plays mostly on the right as an inverted winger giving more opportunity to get the type of goals he is scoring.

Spot on.

I also don't think it helps Tav when a left footer (Ojo) is playing in front of him or an inside forward (Arfield). The link up play is nowhere near as effective as it was with a natural winger (Candeias).

Lots of running with no end product is what i remember of him, we are wanting to be a force again in europe and sadly for me dc lacked that quality needed, ojo is still finding his feet in our game and clearly has more quality than cd

Instead of us wanting a pretty average guy to come back then we should back our current players and get over the fact an average player chose to leave us...... He wanted out and away.

Back