Candeias to Turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look this is Candeias we are talking about not some world beater, yes i like him in our team he works hard and links well with tav but if the gaffer thinks we can do without him and/or bring in better then thats what we’ll do

Undisclosed fee is what he’ll for as we’ll be too embarrassed to admit what we punted him for.
Tav will be gutted as Candy covered for him tenaciously. Gerrard is a class act but made a wee mistake in his handling of this matter.
Anyway good luck Candy and thanks for everything. Way more of a bear than most of the players we’ve had on the books lately.

If the fee is £300-400k plus his £8k p/w wages, it will cover Kent's costs.

In effect, a direct swap of a good squad player with a big game match-winner.

Does this constitute a mistake by Gerrard?

Gerrard in the Record saying he doesn't want him to go but he want's guarantees about 1st team football that he can't give him

Good squad player, hard working and capable of some sublime moments but those moments are surrounded by several hours of frustrating mediocrity. Game time would be limited this season so probably best that he moves on if he’s not happy with that.

Would rather keep him because in certain games we really need his work rate but ultimately he is not good enough to play every week.

I still think we lack genuine quality in the wide positions other than Ojo

No player is or should be guaranteed a starting place.
If Candeias thinks he should get this …without merit…then this club is not the correct one for him.

He doesn’t see getting much game time and Gerrard appears to have reinforced that. I get a vibe he spat the dummy about being the one to drop out the Europa Squad due to the development numbers rule. And these talks may be a bit of in the heat of the moment thing. Candeias has his football flaws but could get a bigger Club than Turkish tin pot

There’s a reason why he’s been a nomadic journeyman all his career. Last couple of seasons we had a poor squad so he was virtually guaranteed a starting spot and, to be honest, he coasted through a lot of games. Plenty of endeavour but not much end product to show for it.

Fast forward to this season and he realises that he has a fight on his hands to stay in the starting XI. Instead of embracing the challenge he decides it’s not for him and asks for a move. He’s spent 2 years as a starter in a relatively poor Rangers side and is prepared to up sticks and leave instead of having a smaller role in a competitive Rangers side with a real chance of winning trophies. To me, that speaks volumes.

Thanks for your efforts Daniel but ultimately you won’t be remembered as much more than a reasonably talented but terribly inconsistent player who didn’t make the most of his abilities and who jumped ship rather than face the pressure of seriously challenging for silverware. Not Rangers class. If we get him off the books quickly then so much the better as we only need players who are up for the challenge and who genuinely “Welcome the chase”.

Lots of posters on here like spurned ex's. Blaming the manager etc for his comments. The truth is, Candieas is far too inconsistent and we won't win the league with him as our regular starter in his position. If he won't accept being a squad player then best to cash in now.
All day long. We all love his work rate but he lacks quality consistently when we need to win games.

If Daniel leaves I wish him nothing but success. His work rate is exceptional and although lacks a wee bit of quality he has given us some great moments.

DC gives his all, Rangers fans over the years tend to love these guys who work hard and leave nothing on the park. Every team needs a player like this, players do feed off the effort of team mates. However the player isn't a young boy, he is looking out for himself, perhaps his last big pay deal. Through his career he hasn't stayed very long at any club. The guy wants to play and who can blame him, but the gaffer wants to improve the quality of the team, and that's enough for me. If he goes then best of luck and huge thanks, if he stays we are no worse off.

If he goes he goes, I wish him well. I watched, as did many others, Gazza, Laudrup, Alberts.... leave and we managed. We’ve a squad that can do it with or without him, he’s had some brilliance, but I’ve watched Gerrard’s frustrations with him in the touchline, I’m not overly surprised. At his age he wants 1st team football, he won’t get it here. He had our best wishes, let’s move on.

When you see the size of the squad now then something has to give at some point.

He's certainly not the first one I'd have on the list to go and we'll miss what he brings but that's football.

I like him when he plays well, but he is far to inconsistent, you know after 5 minutes what type of game he is going to have, if his first couple of crosses do not hit the mark they will not all game.

I’ve heard people all about a lack of balance now if DC goes, but while Murphy and Jones play predominantly off the left, surely they can play off the right as well given they’re completely right-footed?

I like DC, however...

He has asked to speak to this Turkish mob instead of fighting for his place...

So IMO he can go, he doesnt deserve to play for Rangers.

Thanks, but we will get better. You're career will go down hill.

Bit of a harsh post without knowing the facts. We don’t know what has gone in behind the scenes. The only thing we do know is he always gave 100% while playing for us, something a lot of other players could learn from.

I'd wish him well obviously but i'm a disappointed that it's him that wants to go.

He's not good enough to start every game for us but he would still be a valuable member of the squad getting plenty of minutes on the pitch.

I thought it meant more to him playing for us it than it actually does

I thought it meant more to him playing for us it than it actually does

You know him personally, aye?

Nonsense remarks like this are infuriating. You’re expecting a decent player like Candeias to just accept a place on the bench just because it’s Rangers?

Why Daniel Candeias wants Rangers exit talks as Steven Gerrard details crunch transfer meeting

Steven Gerrard revealed Daniel Candeias is set to quit Rangers for Turkish side Genclerbirligi because he isn’t up for the fight for a first team place at Ibrox.

The Light Blues boss - who watched his side hit St Joseph’s for six last night to complete a 10-0 aggregate romp - admitted he had reluctantly allowed the Portuguese winger to hold talks with the newly-promoted Super Lig side.

Candeias was signed by Pedro Caixinha in a £700,000 deal from Benfica in 2017 and featured 52 times for Gerrard’s side last season.

But the 31-year-old was left out of the squad for the 4-0 first leg win against St Joseph’s in Gibraltar and held crunch talks with Gerrard over his future after interest from Turkey emerged.

Gerrard spoke after watching his side stroll to victory with Joe Aribo opening his account before Alfredo Morelos stole the show with a hat-trick and substitute Jermain Defoe completed the scoring with a late double.

And afterwards the Gers boss said: “I had a conversation on Wednesday with Daniel and he said he wanted to go and speak to a team in Turkey.

“I said I wanted him to stay and fight for the shirt and be part of the squad but he said he wants to go and explore the situation in Turkey so we reluctantly but respectfully granted him permission.

“He’s a good man and been a good servant so he’s going to speak to the club in Turkey and we’ll see how that one develops.

“I have to respect Daniel and keep a lot of the conversation private but it boils down to him wanting to be a regular starter as in every single game.

“At his age he doesn’t want to be part of the squad and fight for the shirt without any guarantees so we have to respect his decision but it was Daniel’s decision to explore this interest.

“Myself and Mark Allen sat in front of him and echoed that we’d like him to stay so we’ll see how it develops in the next 24 to 48 hours.

“My gut feeling is that he wants to move on. The financial side of it isn’t my business but since I’ve walked in the door I only want people who are prepared to fight for the shirt and nobody is guaranteed to start.

“I want people prepared to fight tooth and nail to be part of the XI. I really respect him as a person and where he’s at in his career.

“He’s not the best sub and I understand because I wanted to play ever game as a player. But I made it quite clear I wanted him to stay but respected his decision and I’ll never stand in anyone’s way if they want to speak to another team.”

Gerrard said Rangers haven’t received any other offers despite speculation linking French side Dijon with a move for Borna Barisic.

The win over the Gilbratarian minnows sets up a revenge mission against Progres Niederkorn after the Luxembourg side humiliated Gers with a win two years ago.

Gerrard was happy with his two strikers and said: “Both centre forwards were exceptional. One played for the majority and got himself a hat-trick and looks like he’s starting to sharpen up which is great for us.

“We know he’s going to get goals because he’s a fine goalscorer and Jermain came on for his cameo and got a couple of goals - his first a world class finish - and could have got a hat-trick himself so my two number nines were excellent.

“The first half was quite boring, slow and predictable but the second half was really entertaining and much better.”

St Joseph’s coach Raul Procopio said: “The result was to be expected because we lost 4-0 in the first leg and Rangers are a world class team.

But I’m very proud of my team and it’s been a dream come true to play at Ibrox.”

Remember Dalcio got a game ahead of him at the stsrt of the Pedro revolution! I liked his pace and workrate but he was alwsys short of quality. Having said that i'd like him as back up to Ojo. I dont think Hastie is ready. However, if Kent returns there is no way he is getting a sniff of a jersey.

He will leave with my best wishes. I'm surprised he doesn't have the correct attitude to stay and fight for his place however.

We have had a pish squad for years and he wasn't a stand out. We now have strength in depth, he has had a blip being dropped from Europa League and he wants to pursue a move to Turkey?

All the best Daniel, thanks for your efforts but if that's your attitude then don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

31 year old with that attitude is not what we need.

We have had a pish squad for years and he wasn't a stand out. We now have strength in depth, he has had a blip being dropped from Europa League and he wants to pursue a move to Turkey?

All the best Daniel, thanks for your efforts but if that's your attitude then don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

31 year old with that attitude is not what we need.

Ouch, but true!

You know him personally, aye?

Nonsense remarks like this are infuriating. You’re expecting a decent player like Candeias to just accept a place on the bench just because it’s Rangers?

I don't expect him to accept a place on the bench no, but i thought he would have more about him to stay and fight for his place.

It seems soon as the going got tough he's taken the easy way out, thats my opinion on it.

Ryan Kent will want a stable career and a club to settle down with.
Like Docherty - after a years loan he will want his future sorted.
DC would have been good to keep till his contract runs out next year, imo it wouldnt have been renewed.
If he can get a 2 or 3 year deal in Turkey, that will give him stability likely ti finish his career.

Shame to see him go if he does but am
I right in thinking this is the final year of his contract ?

He’s a great engine but I still can’t forget his abysmal crossing that had me cursing him up and down last season

Would rather keep him because in certain games we really need his work rate but ultimately he is not good enough to play every week.

I still think we lack genuine quality in the wide positions other than Ojo

Our width will come from Tav and Barisic, the way we're setting up mate.

Ever since Gerrard changed formation last March and did away with the wingers, we've scored far more freely.

Not surprised that the reaction to DC leaving has been mixed. He is a player who was sometimes good and very average at other times. At his age, he is unlikely to improve. Best of luck to Daniel. He always put in a good effort but would imagine in two or three months, he won’t be remembered by many.

I'm sorry but have people forgot how shockingly bad Candeias was for half of last season? I get he's been good in the friendlies so far but that's all they are. Those saying he's a far better player than Jones, Stewart and Hastie are basing it on what?

Daft from Candieas to be honest.

If he stayed this season, there's a good chance he would have a league medal (and possibly a cup or 2) to go with him, and as he'd be a free agent then presumably he'd be able to get a better deal somewhere than that club having to pay us a fee (which we should insist on btw).
There's also a chance he might play out of his skin like he did last week and get an extension with us.
Silly boy.

He is entering the twilight of his career and has an offer from another club, after being left out of an early Europa league squad and being told he is not a first team starter every week. It is pretty understandable he would like to hear what the Turks have to say. Listening to their offer is no guarantee he will decide to leave, especially given the fact that we look to be on the verge of a good season.

I would like him to stay, I have a real soft spot for the guy, but I can see why he would want to at least hear out any suitors, especially as he has played in the country before.

No matter what he chooses, he is one who can certainly leave with is head held high; he never once had accusations of lack of effort or bad attitude laid at his feet, even in some pretty dark times and while he was not the most consistent of players, he provided us with some superb moments and I firmly believe that he adds a huge, genuinely huge, amount to Tav's game when they link up on the right.

Sorry to see Candeias go but it's understandable if he wants first team football.

Ojo will play the vast majority of games on the right hand side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back