Candeias to Turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish people would stop saying stuff like aw just get rid of Grezda, Lafferty, Dorrans etc. Not easy to shift players on big contracts, especially when they’ve underperformed

These guys won't make anywhere near the money they're on now at new clubs. Exception being Lafferty if the rumours of him going to Qatar are true.

I would keep him this year as some consistency at least that you know what you are getting.
We have lots of bodies for the wide spaces, but it is a great big unknown how they will settle.
Stewart/Hastie/Jones/Ojo - might fold under pressure of the jersey
Murphy - need to see how knee holds up
Kent - May never arrive
Grezda - Nope

I'd be genuinely sorry to lose him.

As one the first thread posts mentioned, his work rate and industry and well suited to a team that might like to work on a high pressing technique. We'll miss his input there if he goes.

I would keep him this year as some consistency at least that you know what you are getting.
We have lots of bodies for the wide spaces, but it is a great big unknown how they will settle.
Stewart/Hastie/Jones/Ojo - might fold under pressure of the jersey
Murphy - need to see how knee holds up
Kent - May never arrive
Grezda - Nope

This.

Especially if the fee is only going to be a few hundred grand. We'd be as well keeping him, at least until January.

I think it was notable that up until the last handful of games he remained in possession of the shirt, and that's despite Gerrard ostensibly dropping him at least twice that I can recall... yet he always ended up bringing him back in. We've yet to see if the other options are any better. Why punt him at this stage?

Last edited:
It reckon giving his age the fee we would receive is pretty minimal so for that reason he would be better here for another season

Guys like Halliday should be out the door long before Candeias.

Why Halliday?

He provides good cover at left back and has excellent delivery, which is ideal from a wide position.

He's also a very robust athlete, never injured, always available for selection.

If Barisic got injured tonight, who else do we have for cover?

Gerrard clearly believes he's got numerous better options than Candeias now.

I like Candeias, but the manager has signed players to replace him.

Sad to see him go. Don’t think we will get much of a fee, not convinced we would get a one million for him at this stage, for that reason i would rather see him here for the season and leave on a free, we know he can be relied on for his work rate and we will need that at some stages of season

What a way to bring me down before the game tonight. Candeias showed against Rapid and Spartak away that he's a useful player to have in the European games. We'll get buttons for him given his age and the fact he's in the last year of his contract, and he won't likely be on a massive wage; he'd be worth keeping.

If this is true I'll be sad to see him go, he never gave us anything less than 100% and he seems a decent guy.

That said, I think I know deep down we probably need better quality.

Let's just hope the new lads are up to it over the course of a season.

Daily Record:

Daniel Candeias’ Rangers career could be about to come to an end after Turkish side Genclerbirligi ‘agreed a deal’ for the winger.
The Portuguese moved to Ibrox under Pedro Caixinha and was one of the few from that time who earned rave reviews.
But the signings of Sheyi Ojo, Jordan Jones, Jake Hastie and Greg Stewart appear to have pushed him down the pecking order with Candeias being left out of the Europa League squad to face St Joseph’s.
Rangers fans wouldn’t be entirely happy to see a fan favourite depart the club, however reports in Turkey suggest a deal is already agreed and it could be announced tomorrow.

To me that looks lifted from this thread or at best the original article. FWIW I'd be disappointed to lose him. A useful squad player.

As fans we value hard working players and Candeas really is a grafter . Will be remembered for his brilliant backheel to set up Alfredo v Vienna and his crucial goal at st Mirren amongst other things .

Wish him all the very best if he is away , and I’ll hazard a guess at a fee of around £1 million

Big miss imo. Him and tav worked well in Europe and against the mentally challengeds!

All the best Daniel!

He's a good player and has an eye for goal. I'll be sorry to see him go.

But 31 and last year of his contract?

Exactly, and people are forgetting his own preference in this

Candeias is probably wealthy through football but probably not wealthy enough to sustain the rest of his life in the way he wants. If he's got an opportunity at one last big signing on fee and decent wage, he may well do it for family reasons.

As fans we value hard working players and Candeas really is a grafter . Will be remembered for his brilliant backheel to set up Alfredo v Vienna and his crucial goal at st Mirren amongst other things .

Wish him all the very best if he is away , and I’ll hazard a guess at a fee of around £1 million

Absolutely no chance of that fee.

DC is an honest journeyman, he'll be 32 in Feb and his career of 10 clubs (8 on loan) in the 8 years before coming to Rangers and his time at Rangers show this very clearly.

They have James Forrest in this position. DC seems like a nice man and I wish him well but if we want to win the league next we must have better in that position, even as back-up.

It is as simple as that.

He's a good player and has an eye for goal. I'll be sorry to see him go.

But 31 and last year of his contract?

Mate, with respect, his lack of goals (for a Rangers forward) is one of reasons he needs to go. His crossing is poor and he cant take a man on and beat him, which you;d expect wouldnt be great for a winger.

We need significantly better to win the league.

Did this actually ever happen??

even when Candeias didn’t have a particularly good game going forward he more than made up for it with hard work tracking back and covering Tavernier
Which is good in European games or games against Celtic but matters very little in the majority of matches we will play this season

Disappointed. You need someone like Candeias in your squad to get through a season, and I feel like he'd still have comfortably played 30 odd games if he'd stayed.

Unfortunately, when offloading players, teams are going to be more interested in the decent ones than the dead weight, so it was always going to be easy to find a buyer for the likes of Candeias.

If he goes, it will be with the absolute best wishes, as into the bargain, he's an absolute top gentleman.

Its not going to be a choice between those 2, Hastie is only 19 and is not going to be a 1st team starter, i think he has great potential though but at 19 its too early for him.

We will play the majority of games with 2 narrow forrwards, between Arfield Ojo and Jones most likely and if we don't get Kent we may even see another attacking player come in.
Not sure I agree with that. I think we'll see the standard 433 used regularly as well. Especially the games where Morelos starts.

If we are replacing him with Kent then I suppose I'll be okay with this.

I still feel a bit unsure that getting rid of him at this stage is the right call though.

I like candieas and would like him to stay. He does provide the assists but in front of goal he’s normally pretty terrible.

He is 31 and in last year of deal, so this could be a last big pay day for him. As well as that he doesn’t seem to stick with a club too long, so it could be he’s not really up for the fight in a large squad. That combined with his age and possible need to play probably makes the player keen on an exit.

It’s a shame I’ve been impressed with him in the friendlies but it seems he might have to go.

Guys like Halliday should be out the door long before Candeias.

Halliday to leave??

You joking mate he would play for us for free. He is living our dream playing for the team he loves. Maybe he’s not the standard of others players but no chance he should be sold. He’s got a great relationship with Stevie G as well as us the fans. He will always give 100% and always has when other players haven’t. You can see how much it means to him in the Old Firm getting in and about that lot. The video of him in with the fans when we got promoted.

You don’t just sell someone like Halliday.

Not sure I agree with that. I think we'll see the standard 433 used regularly as well. Especially the games where Morelos starts.
We haven't played with 2 wide men for months, this system has worked very well for us and there is no reason to change it and go back to an isolated forward upfront

It wont be that formation for every single game but i expect it to continue this way for the majority of our games.

"Super League teams Genclerbirligi last minute transfer development took place.

According to information obtained by Ajansspor; Gençlerbirliği has reached an agreement with right-wing player Daniel Candeias, who played for Glasgow Rangers.

Çaykur Rizespor'un also included in the agenda Candeias preferred the capital team because of the education status of children.

31-year-old Portuguese footballer played in Alanyaspor in 2016/17 season."

Keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back