Cantona - 25 years ago today

Super post Smkz23

He was a huge character - one I loved when I was growing up. I wore my football shirts with their collar up because of him ;). My Yorkshire friend still insists he was a better player when he was at Leeds!

Fcuk that makes me feel old. Madman as he was , would he of done same at anfield, Maine rd , Stamford bridge etc?

9 months off the top my head

United suspended him themselves to the end of the season. The FA increased it until October 1995 much to Ferguson's fury. Cantona wanted to quit England after the extension of the ban which led to the famous story of Ferguson on the back of a motorbike bombing through the streets of Paris to reach Cantona and persuade him to stay.

The FA also wouldn't allow him to take part in bounce games against other clubs in order to keep his fitness up.

Still amazes me everytime I watch it back...brilliant.

Some of the shit getting thrown and shouted from the crowd these days together with the 'over exuberence' in the 16' cup final part of me would like to see it happen again in a way.

Maybe just not one of our players.

I recall reading one of Fergies books about the incident, he genuinely didn’t know what had happened until the next day, he obviously knew there was an incident and he had been sent off, he went home after the game and his boy tried to talk to him about it and he said I’m not in the mood Jason and he went to bed, all the while this story was headline news everywhere, he went to Old Trafford oblivious the next day.

I was driving my car and heard it all kick off on the radio. The radio commentator done a great job of describing the action. When I saw it on tv later I honestly couldn't stop laughing. Football needs characters like Cantona. He was proper mental

He was an absolute legend. A proper player. 25 years... a quarter of a century! I was only a kid then but it’s makes me feel old. I was raging when I realised I wasn’t going to be able to watch him on match of the day for ages.

Sadly there won’t be the likes of Cantona again in the modern game.
[/QUOTE]
We have Zultan in the modern game who isn’t only mental but thinks he is a philosophy student

What a player, was the look on the guys face as the big man launched himself over the hoardings

Mad as a box of frogs. What did the fan shout to him. Should of sued him.

“Off! Off! Off! It's an early bath for you, Mr Cantona!" - according to Matthew Simmons.

“f*** off back to France you French b*****d" and referred to Cantona’s mum as a“French w***e” according to everyone else.

Simmons got a £500 fine for using threatening behaviour and a year-long stadium ban – upon receiving the verdict he lunged at the prosecution lawyer, which led to him being sentenced to seven days in prison for contempt of court.

And to think big dunk got jailed for his clash with mcstay
Well big Dunc did have quite a bit of previous. Fights at taxi ranks etc.
I agree however that jailing him for the McStay incident has to go down as one of the worst decisions ever made

Mad as a box of frogs. What did the fan shout to him. Should of sued him.

Matthew Simmons, the man who Cantona kicked, claimed that he had merely said "Off! Off! Off! It's an early bath for you, Mr Cantona!" – which, for anyone who has ever attended a football match, is about as likely as you being selected from the stands to play up front before netting a hat-trick – but far more likely were the allegations that he had, in fact, screamed at him to "f*** off back to France you French bastard" and called his mother a “French whore”. Simmons was later sentenced at Croydon Magistrates Court, receiving a £500 fine for using threatening behaviour and a year-long stadium ban – upon receiving the verdict he lunged at the prosecution lawyer, which led to him being sentenced to seven days in prison for contempt of court.

I was 9 and I can remember my Mam telling me about in the morning before I saw it on the news.

I was excited to see how "Fantasy Football League" would handle it and they had Statto kick a fan in the front row.

Back