Cantona - 25 years ago today

Astonishing incident, Cantona was mad as hell but a great player as well, which is probably the only reason Fergie stuck by him.

Lle
A Man U player (one of the Nevilles I think) telling a story where they said they questioned Fergie as to why Cantona got away with all sorts in training that they couldn’t.

The answer was:
‘Because he is Eric Cantona son’
Remember neville saying they were at some big awards night fergie told them shirt and tie,the bold Eric strolls in with poca dot shirt,jeans and red trainers,one of the players complained and fergie says when you are as good as Eric you can dress like that too

After he was banned by the FA I hoped we could get him on loan for the duration of it.

His seagulls quote stole the main news headlines on the day Davie Cooper passed away.

Another magnificent bastard.

That last interview was awesome. He never pandered to the English journo and his outlook on life about looking forward not backwards is exactly how I like to live mine. Also that arse was a thug and deserved that Kung Fu kick.

If you are gonna do it, do it right. %^*& your wee ball of tape....

He was a scumbag and all his interviews were total gibberish.

What a player, unreal the way he glided through a game. Technique was absolutely outstanding and he genuinely made that Man Utd team in the 90s in my opinion.

Madman but the game misses characters like that. His return 9 month later slotting away that penalty against Liverpool was top notch. The FA really did try and do all they could do drive him out a England and limit him from having any match fitness whatsoever.

The Premiership the now will never be as entertaining as it was in the 9ps and early 2000s

“Off! Off! Off! It's an early bath for you, Mr Cantona!" - according to Matthew Simmons.

“f*** off back to France you French b*****d" and referred to Cantona’s mum as a“French w***e” according to everyone else.

Simmons got a £500 fine for using threatening behaviour and a year-long stadium ban – upon receiving the verdict he lunged at the prosecution lawyer, which led to him being sentenced to seven days in prison for contempt of court.
As if anyone would believe his claim of what he actually said, at least make it semi believable! Cantona was a true maverick.

If my memories correct the game wasn’t live on Sky.

But it was the lead item on the news or there was a midweek final score. Remember hearing the reporter live from the game and it’s was just unbelievable
I thought the game was live.But memory could be playing up

Truly world class player. Performed in the big games. But completely out there!
Definitely. A bit like Drogba in that he wasn’t actually the most prolific overall, but did it when it absolutely mattered. And was a much bigger personality than Drogba, borderline insane!

R

remember being at the game, August 94? Think he had been sent off a few times either side of the game against us.. starting to lose the plot!!
Was there in the east
Mad as a box of frogs with outstanding talent.
Gough and Brown had him in their back pockets in the Battle of Britain.
Definitely. A bit like Drogba in that he wasn’t actually the most prolific overall, but did it when it absolutely mattered. And was a much bigger personality than Drogba, borderline insane!
outrageous ability and self belief.

Back