Cantona - 25 years ago today

That makes me feel old. Can’t believe that was 25 years ago. I loved watching him back in the day.

Anyone else remember the blazing row on Super Scoreboard the following weekend between Davie Provan and old piss stained jakey Pat Crerand ?

Crerand did his whole Man Utd apologist part and defended Cantona and Provan at one point screamed "C'mon Paddy, if Cantona had done that to someone in the East Enclosure or the Jungle he wouldn't have gotten out alive"

Absolutely iconic

90s/early 2000s football was brilliant. Still had big characters and not the media trained robots of today.

And in relation to the British tabloid press he was absolutely bang on in that interview!

The fact that it went over their heads and he was seen as some sort of funny foreigner says it all.

Loved Cantona!

I remember the Cockney Reds boasting how they were going to smash the guy’s face in, and yet, when he appeared in court, the streets were full of Palace and the Red Army nowhere to be seen.
Cuntona.

I worked over Christmas and the New Year and took a holiday in January. When I return to work everyone was talking about it and I had no idea what they were talking about. I lay on a beach and drank steadily in the sunshine .

I actually liked his quote and found it to be bang on and took it as, " When the seagulls (Press) follow the trawler, (Player or Press Conference) its because they know that fish, (exclusive info) are about to be thrown into the sea, (are about to be made public). Pedros quote I took as similar ie, Press can talk shit but we will remain focused on the task in hand. Shame it didnt work out the way we had hoped for him.

Great player and I wish we had signed the guy somehow. Nevertheless he deserved a jail term for an assault like that.
Was it really that long ago?

Mad as a box of frogs. What did the fan shout to him. Should of sued him.

I remember the kick-ee was interviewed in the papers and he claimed he only said something along the lines of "It's an early bath for you, Eric!"

Hmmmm. Somehow I doubt it was something as innocuous.

Remember he got sent off at Ibrox in a friendly. Lunge on Steven Presley if I remember correctly. And Alex Ferguson said he’d never bring another team to Ibrox for a friendly again.

Did he play in both legs for leeds against us.
Cant remember him having much of an influence during the game, memory getting worse

Wonderful player & most certainly a character. Couldn’t believe what I was seeing when I saw the footage on TV

A Man U player (one of the Nevilles I think) telling a story where they said they questioned Fergie as to why Cantona got away with all sorts in training that they couldn’t.

The answer was:
‘Because he is Eric Cantona son’

“Off! Off! Off! It's an early bath for you, Mr Cantona!"
I'll always remember that, it was Pythonesque in its absurdity but added to the surrealism of the incident. And then at the time folk were in sympathy with the Gallic genius, but were asking "but Eric, it was only a Palace fan?''.
The shocked youngster in the crowd will be in his thirties now, just like I was then, time has flown with the speed of a Jorg Albertz shot :)

Last edited:
“Off! Off! Off! It's an early bath for you, Mr Cantona!" - according to Matthew Simmons.

“f*** off back to France you French b*****d" and referred to Cantona’s mum as a“French w***e” according to everyone else.

Simmons got a £500 fine for using threatening behaviour and a year-long stadium ban – upon receiving the verdict he lunged at the prosecution lawyer, which led to him being sentenced to seven days in prison for contempt of court.

I was going to post from memory. I knew it was along something to do with 'it's an early bath for you.' :) Even reading the court transcript at the time I thought, no way is he expecting anyone to believe that

If my memories correct the game wasn’t live on Sky.

But it was the lead item on the news or there was a midweek final score. Remember hearing the reporter live from the game and it’s was just unbelievable

Another magnificent bastard.

That last interview was awesome. He never pandered to the English journo and his outlook on life about looking forward not backwards is exactly how I like to live mine. Also that arse was a thug and deserved that Kung Fu kick.

If you are gonna do it, do it right. %^*& your wee ball of tape....

Back