Cappielow 19th April 1980, the Pulled Programmme and that Picture

Remember playing footy up Whitehill pitch and he and another lad came along and asked for a game, they jumped on one on each side. I thought I was a decent player but couldn't get near him. He was a journeyman pro but looked like Maradona compared to the rest of us!
Think he was injured as a youngster on a road accident, cant mind specifics but he was possessed when he got fit afterwards

Ian Redrord as well, probably just using the office tea boy as proof reader....

QUOTE="UlsterScotGer, post: 5731121, member: 13883"]
Colin Hackson at centre half too! Deliberate mistake?
[/QUOTE]

Was it normal for both us and Celtic to be away from home on the same day back then..... I can't remember?

I remember going to a midweek League Cup tie at East End Park, the Wednesday after Dunfermline had beaten Celtic 2-0 in a League game there. Listed in the Dunfermline programme that night, playing # 4 for Rangers, was Roy Aitken!

Obviously a typo carried over from 4 days earlier, but dearie me!

Last edited:
Was it normal for both us and Celtic to be away from home on the same day back then..... I can't remember?

I remember sitting in the old stand at Cappielow (a glorified hen run) watching Rangers playing Morton (I think the game might have ended 2-2) whilst Dundee were losing 5-1 at Dens Park (an 18-year old Iain Ferguson, later to join us, running amok) and listening to David Francey's commentary, with the famous line, "and there's two minutes left, and Dundee still HANGING ON to their 5-1 lead!" PMSL.

Not entirely relevant to the tenet of the thread but that was a very good Morton side.
They did indeed have a good side then, especially if they could get Ritchie out of the Norseman bar in time for kick off.... I’m pretty sure I was at this game

They did indeed have a good side then, especially if they could get Ritchie out of the Norseman bar in time for kick off.... I’m pretty sure I was at this game
I’m sure I was as well. Did Colin Jackson score with his head? I was 7 at the time and vaguely remember it.

I’m sure I was as well. Did Colin Jackson score with his head? I was 7 at the time and vaguely remember it.
I’m not too sure... but as a kid I went to a lot of the games at that time as I had an uncle who was a mad Morton fan And used to take me

Was that the game their forward Bobby Thompson got sent off after an altrication with Sandy J? I've never seen anybody go so mental when sent off, he was close to having a heart attack!
Not sure if it was that game or the next time we played them. I was at the game I think the abuse we were giving him contributed :)) bitter bitter mentally challenged IIRC

Rangers beat Morton 1-0 that day with Bobby Russell getting the only goal of the game

Believe around either 3000/4000 were printed in time for the game after the 1st edition got pulled

I was 10 back then and got a programme every game. I also thought because it was such a huge game they sold out early - mystery solved 29 years later.

Back