Captaincy up for grabs - The Sun

Watched the shooting drill video from yesterday’s training and someone gets called skipper

Could be a nickname or maybe the decisions been made was unable to make out exactly who it was

I am hoping it's none of the current players and he's using it as motivation to get more out of the players and our marquee signing is yet to arrive who will be capt

He’s the first choice goalkeeper for Scotland and just won POTY at an English Championship club a few weeks ago. I’m sure the squad has probably worked out by now he’s our first choice goalkeeper.

Hes not scotlands 1st choice keeper.

I think Goldson too

But he has to be a good communicator on and off field and have the respect of his team mates

Whoever it is has also be able to challenge wrongs on the pitch and be able to speak to the referees and not accept the shite and incompetence we’ve been on the end of for years

If fit give it to J. Rossiter.

Same boat as you.

If he was guaranteed to be playing every week or at least 95% of the games I think he would already have it. A nasty wee fucker in a defensive midfielder role is ideal for captain and the player we saw versus hibs was that player. Only thing going against him is his age and fitness troubles so would err towards not yet with Rossiter.

If Rossiter could stay fit I would give it to him but it’s a lot of weight on the young guys shoulders.

Jack may be an option.

Tav should never wear the arm band again especially after his comments when we drew away to Dolly, His form also dipped badly when he put the arm band on .

If Rossiter stays fit then i reckon he will be our captain figure whether he has the armband or not.

The staying fit part is the hard part though.

If Rossiter could stay fit I would give it to him but it’s a lot of weight on the young guys shoulders.

Jack may be an option.

Tav should never wear the arm band again especially after his comments when we drew away to Dolly, His form also dipped badly when he put the arm band on .
It wasn’t too heavy for a young Barry Ferguson. The boy has already displayed the right attitude by coming out and giving a good account of himself in the media after the Progres shambles.

I lean towards someone more experienced but I wouldn’t rule Rossiter out, if he stays fit.

Steven Davis isn’t a captain IMO. I can remember the criticisms of him the last time in that roll.
Ludicrous comment....

The guy has captained his last 2 clubs and also captained his country to an international tournament but na.... he's not a captain :rolleyes:

If he can stay fit I’d give it to Rossiter.

He was England u19 captain and he is the type of player that can bark orders and lead by example

Would love to see the meltdown on here if he gave it to Windass :D

Joking aside, I'd probably go for Ryan Jack but think we should try out a few different captains in friendlies & the early European games before installing a permanent captain for the league kicking off.

Ludicrous comment....

The guy has captained his last 2 clubs and also captained his country to an international tournament but na.... he's not a captain :rolleyes:
To be fair to the poster,there WERE a lot of criticisms of Davis as captain at the time-a lot of them unjustified imo-he's more of a modern day Captain that does his talking on the pitch rather than bawling at anyone which doesn't sit well with some.
I have to be honest,I prefer someone that's a bit more vocal personally-but that doesn't mean Davis isn't an excellent Captain-just different is all.

He stressed that he must be a captain on and off the park. No-one fits the bill for that gig as yet.

Mcgregor, Goldson or a new signing i think. At the turn of the year around the time he put in his best perforamance yet for us at parkhead i thought Tavernier had it in him to become a really strong captain for us but the end of the season would really suggest otherwise.

I don't see many other leading candidates in the squad right now. Jack and Rossiter have the characteristics to be a captain in the future but is too soon for both them, especially Rossiter although i do love how vocal he is on the park.

See the negative thing about a keeper being captain, he’s often so far away from the action.

We need to be aggressive next season and challenging the referees on decisions that go against us and being involved in any discussions on the park. McGregor can’t exsctly do that when he is 50+ yards away.
Agree with this. Often the ref will ignore other players and communicate directly with the captain. Shagger can't be that guy.

Rossiter is too young, inexperienced and unproven due to his injury. I believe he'll pick someone with a more proven appearance history.

I think it'll be Tav if he stays.

Would love to see the meltdown on here if he gave it to Windass :D

Joking aside, I'd probably go for Ryan Jack but think we should try out a few different captains in friendlies & the early European games before installing a permanent captain for the league kicking off.

Totally disagree with that mate. SG has been in the game long enough to know who is captain material for a club like ours. The players need discipline and direction from the earliest possible stage. We need to hit the ground running this year.

We've not had a real Captain for years. It will have a huge impact on our team and performances when we have real on field leader to drive everyone on when we're up against it. Our players hardly talk to each other when the chips are down.

Back