Carbone signs for Sheff Wed 25 years ago, PR covering it is special

There's certainly nothing offensive about that. Pavarotti is the equivalent of a Scottish player signing abroad and them welcoming him with bag pipes.

Carbone is the journeyman’s journeyman.

Moved club almost every season...16 clubs? WTF

If he’s called Benny Carson he’s back on the building site mid 20’s.

Carbone is the journeyman’s journeyman.

Moved club almost every season...16 clubs? WTF

If he’s called Benny Carson he’s back on the building site mid 20’s.
Carbone.was a good players, Italian players tended to move clubs regulay

Thought he was class, I was well into that style of player that kicked about the EPL at that time, Kinkladze and Curcic as well all pretty comparable in size and skills, absolute ballers.

Mental, was just thinking about him the other day when I was trying to think of goals to put in that “underrated or great forgotten goals” thread because he scored some crackers.

He wasn't really average at all.
Why so many clubs then?

I get what your saying with reference to his talent. But his transfer history would suggest no one actually wanted to hold onto him for long...Wednesday for three seasons is the exception.

He was an average player who moved for money every 18 months.

Look at his history - it’s mental.

He was a good player. Scored some cracking goals. His overhead kick away at Newcastle is super underrated in terms of great goals of the PL era.

By his own admission he should have stayed the course at Wednesday, but he was too close to Di Canio and got caught up in all his drama. His career took some strange turns after that.

Talented player who could and should have done more.

Why so many clubs then?

I get what your saying with reference to his talent. But his transfer history would suggest no one actually wanted to hold onto him for long...Wednesday for three seasons is the exception.

They did though. It was predominantly him who forced moves to chase money, albeit was a perfectly good cnt when it comes to Bradford.

Just looking at a list of clubs and deciding he was average is a bit wild. Did you actually ever watch him play?

Remember it well, my first season ticket at Hillsborough was when Carbone and Di Canio were in the starting 11.

He was a fantastic player, could create something out of nothing and carried the side after Di Canio left after shoving Alcock over against Arsenal in 98.

Feel lucky now that I watched us beat Arsenal, Man Utd (beat the treble winning side 3-1) Chelsea Liverpool, and actually turned up expecting to win with these two in the side

Sadly we are now light years from the top flight where we should be

Apparently one of the most professional footballers in England at the time in terms of application in training. He was mocked by the English players for showing up at training in designer suits everyday.

He was a good player. Scored some cracking goals. His overhead kick away at Newcastle is super underrated in terms of great goals of the PL era.

By his own admission he should have stayed the course at Wednesday, but he was too close to Di Canio and got caught up in all his drama. His career took some strange turns after that.

Talented player who could and should have done more.
Some cracking goals been scored at that end at St James’

Bergkamp’s goal was there too

They did though. It was predominantly him who forced moves to chase money, albeit was a perfectly good cnt when it comes to Bradford.

Just looking at a list of clubs and deciding he was average is a bit wild. Did you actually ever watch him play?
At the time? Not in person.

Take it you did? Or just MOTD same as me.

At the time? Not in person.

Take it you did? Or just MOTD same as me.

In person or at the time, even at that time there was a hell of a lot more football on than just MOTD to be able to watch players.

He would look utterly sublime if only watching him on MOTD he loved an absolute screamer of a goal.

Remember it well, my first season ticket at Hillsborough was when Carbone and Di Canio were in the starting 11.

He was a fantastic player, could create something out of nothing and carried the side after Di Canio left after shoving Alcock over against Arsenal in 98.

Feel lucky now that I watched us beat Arsenal, Man Utd (beat the treble winning side 3-1) Chelsea Liverpool, and actually turned up expecting to win with these two in the side

Sadly we are now light years from the top flight where we should be

Indeed.

Same old problem at Wednesday, small time mentality amongst the ownership. Frankly the club couldn’t handle two “mercurial” personalities like that, and I’ve given up ever seeing talents like that again at Hillsborough.

My first thought when Di Canio shoved Alcock was that we’d never see either of them again and relegation would soon follow. Carbone at least gave us another year or so but his head had gone. Of the two, I preferred Carbone and wonder how different things might be had we never signed Di Canio.

Back