Cardid to tell FIFA Sala move from Nantes was invalid

Bonnyloyal

Cardiff will tell FIFA that Emiliano Sala’s move from Nantes was invalid when the club responds to a complaint over their refusal to pay the Ligue 1 outfit his £15million transfer fee.

The 28-year-old Argentinian striker died in a plane crash in the English Channel on January 21, two days after the Premier League club had announced him as their record signing “subject to international clearance”.
But Press Association Sport understands that Cardiff will tell football’s world governing body that Sala was not eligible to play in the Premier League at the time of his death and was free to join another club had he so wished.

So what about the tears, minute silences, banners and wreaths? Was that all an act?

Scummy behaviour.
Exactly, sickening the way the Cardiff people are behaving. I'd like to think their fans will be disgusted with the people taking this stance.

Reactions: M@x
If it wasn't all signed and sealed then I don't blame them.

I think there is a hell of a lot still to come out about this tbh, Especially around McKay and the finalising of the deal.

Cardiff will tell football’s world governing body that Sala was not eligible to play in the Premier League at the time of his death and was free to join another club had he so wished.

They must know how awful they're coming across here?

Between this & the Crewe stuff last week, bad time to support those clubs.

Last edited:
They must know how awful they're coming across here?

Between this & the Crewe stuff last week, bad time to support them.

End of the day we are talking about £15m here.

If the deal wasn't signed and sealed as a Cardiff player then I don't see what the issue with them contesting it is?

If it was signed, sealed and registered then fair enough.

No business, no matter what there revenue is is suddenly just going to say yeah well take a £15m hit.

IMO, Far more to come out about this.

If the deal wasn't signed and sealed as a Cardiff player then I don't see what the issue with them contesting it is?

No business, no matter what there revenue is is suddenly just going to say yeah well take a £15m hit.

It's the morality of it for me. They held up banners and shed lots of tears for Sala like he was one of their own. Plus they are an EPL club and £15m is back pocket change to them.

The right thing to do is pay the money, as a gesture if nothing else.

There may well be more to come (although I've not seen much else suggested recently?) but that doesn't mean Cardiff are in the right. At the least, they should be coming to some sort of agreement with Nantes.

I genuinely hope the cunts get relegated. In fact they could plummet down the divisions right to the bottom tier of English football and they still wouldn’t have sunk as low as they have in dealing with THEIR player’s tragic death.

I don’t know what the general consensus is amongst their fans, but they should be thoroughly ashamed of their club and their faux grief and general insensitivity. Imagine how the guys family will be feeling knowing that his two previous clubs have already forgotten about their son/husband/nephew etc and are more interested in saving a few quid. And when you are an EPL club, it really isn’t an astronomical amount of money.

It's the morality of it for me. They held up banners and shed lots of tears for Sala like he was one of their own. Plus they are an EPL club and £15m is back pocket change to them.

The right thing to do is pay the money, as a gesture if nothing else.

It is £15m :D

It doesn't matter if they are an EPL side or not, they are still a business and if that business has not legal obligation to pay £15m then they are not going to pay it, simple as that. The CEO and Board would not be doing their duty if they did.

As I said previously though, I expect much more to come out from this, allegations McKay was making death threats to Cardiff employees over it says to me has made a mess of it somewhere along the line.

If he was legally Nantes player, then do they have a morality dilemma in that they should not want the £15m?

Why are Cardiff the bad guys in this when they might be completely in the right?

surely if you sign a player an insurance policy would be taken out at that moment, he could have died in a simple car crash or a heart attack

There may well be more to come (although I've not seen much else suggested recently?) but that doesn't mean Cardiff are in the right. At the least, they should be coming to some sort of agreement with Nantes.

Ok then how about this.

We come to an agreement with A club.

Terms agreed.

Players goes away back to say bye to his teammates

We offer to fly player over

Agent says don't worry I will

Legal papers haven't been signed and no money has transferred yet

Agents plane blows up

Player dies

Team says Hey Rangers we want that £7m for the player.

Do you want Rangers to say ok there is the £7m we will forget the fact the deal hadn't actually been legally formalised yet, here Mr Agent have your cut while we are at it.

Without wanting to sound too harsh here, it isn't Cardiff's fault that his happened, it isn't there doing, and yet they are the ones who are to bend over and hand over £15m.

It isn't as if it is peanuts no matter how people dress it up.

surely if you sign a player an insurance policy would be taken out at that moment, he could have died in a simple car crash or a heart attack

You can't if that player isn't legally yours.

It is similar to buying a car, the insurance starts on the day the car is yours.

If I buy a car from AC, They crash it the next day, I am not paying for that car when it comes to the Friday and it is purchase day and swap papers and the insurance kicks in.

It is £15m :D

It doesn't matter if they are an EPL side or not, they are still a business and if that business has not legal obligation to pay £15m then they are not going to pay it, simple as that. The CEO and Board would not be doing their duty if they did.

As I said previously though, I expect much more to come out from this, allegations McKay was making death threats to Cardiff employees over it says to me has made a mess of it somewhere along the line.

If he was legally Nantes player, then do they have a morality dilemma in that they should not want the £15m?

Why are Cardiff the bad guys in this when they might be completely in the right?

As I said, that is back pocket change to any EPL club these days, no matter what end of the table they are at. Fulham spent £100m last summer FFS.

There may be no legal obligation to pay it (as they are claiming), but the manner of which the guy died and the way Cardiff as a club mourned his passing, should suggest that morally they should pay what they agreed to pay Nantes. Now it just looks like all the grief was just crocodile tears for affect.

As I said, that is back pocket change to any EPL club these days, no matter what end of the table they are at. Fulham spent £100m last summer FFS.

There may be no legal obligation to pay it (as they are claiming), but the manner of which the guy died and the way Cardiff as a club mourned his passing, should suggest that morally they should pay what they agreed to pay Nantes. Now it just looks like all the grief was just crocodile tears for affect.

Nonsense.

Because they mourned it they should pay out £15m.

If the player wasn't legally his, they shouldn't be paying out a penny;.

Nonsense.

Because they mourned it they should pay out £15m.

If the player wasn't legally his, they shouldn't be paying out a penny;.

My point is they mourned like he was their player. They unveiled him as a Cardiff player. The guy was desperate to play for them and now they won't pay what they agreed with Nantes because there are a few signatures missing.

A quick look at a Cardiff forum shows even some of their own fans are disgusted by this.

Ok then how about this.

Terms agreed.

Agents plane blows up

Player dies

Do you want Rangers to say ok there is the £7m we will forget the fact the deal hadn't actually been legally formalised yet, here Mr Agent have your cut while we are at it.

Without wanting to sound too harsh here, it isn't Cardiff's fault that his happened, it isn't there doing, and yet they are the ones who are to bend over and hand over £15m.

I would be beyond embarrassed if Rangers behaved in the crass way Cardiff currently are (thankfully we never would).

It's tragic that, as @Recoba has pointed out, his family have to watch the two teams squabble over him like he's more an object rather than a deceased person.

Ok then how about this.

Terms agreed.

Agents plane blows up

Player dies

My interpretation is that everything between the player/agent and both clubs had been signed, but they are trying to wriggle out of it on the basis that International Clearance (ie. A Rubber Stamp fax from the French FA to the English FA) hadn't been received at the point that the plane went down, meaning that although he had been signed by Cardiff, he couldn't yet play for them.

It is normal that it takes a day or two for International Clearance to follow, as it cannot be done until the transfer is concluded between the two clubs.

I would be beyond embarrassed if Rangers behaved in the crass way Cardiff currently are (thankfully we never would).

It's tragic that, as @Recoba has pointed out, his family have to watch the two teams squabble over him like he's more an object rather than a deceased person.

He was an asset at the end of the day.

Sure it isn't nice for the family, but the fallout from these types of things are never going to be nice for the families.

As I said, I am simply saying if the player was not legally Cardiffs, they have every right to dispute paying £15m for him.

If the player was legally Cardiffs then they should be fined the same again for even disputing it.

A few tears and minute silence and a wee shrine doesn't make them liable for £15m though, only legal papers make that happen.

Personally I would feel the Rangers board are failing the business if they paid up in the instance the player wasn't legally ours, especially after the agent decides to hijack the players travel arrangements and ultimately is responsible for the players death.

He was an asset at the end of the day.

Sure it isn't nice for the family, but the fallout from these types of things are never going to be nice for the families.

As I said, I am simply saying if the player was not legally Cardiffs, they have every right to dispute paying £15m for him.

If the player was legally Cardiffs then they should be fined the same again for even disputing it.

A few tears and minute silence and a wee shrine doesn't make them liable for £15m though, only legal papers make that happen.

Personally I would feel the Rangers board are failing the business if they paid up in the instance the player wasn't legally ours, especially after the agent decides to hijack the players travel arrangements and ultimately is responsible for the players death.

It's a messy case, no doubt. I get your argument and from a purely legal standpoint (assuming the international clearance never went through), you're right. But I'll always refer back to the morality of it.

No winners apart from the lawyers raking it in.

Morality has no place in business as we have found out.

They should pay up. And Nantes should give half to his family.

A new high in lows
I would say Celtc cheating their way to a title over the PoD scenario is worse. It was manipulation of fixtures as they knew they were onto a hiding and it allowed them the chance to cheat us and in so doing secure CL riches.

Morality has no place in business as we have found out.

They should pay up. And Nantes should give half to his family.
So if we sell Morelos for £15m and the same thing happens to him, we should give £7.5m to Morelos's family, even though he's not our player anymore?

Have Cardiff's insurers refused to pay out, near sure I heard Cardiff had insured him for 16 million.

What I read was that Cardiff had a 'blanket' insurance policy in the sum of £16m (that was covering ALL their players). The article I was reading went on to say that even if the insurers paid out that £15m Cardiff would still be liable for a FURTHER figure circa £16m is salaries and other payments. Can't find the bloody link now but will look again later.

This will all come down to the players registration, if it has gone through Cardiff won't have a leg to stand on, if they have applied for it, they still will have to pay up,

Cardiff have just moved into joint second in my most hated clubs book. Scummy behaviour of the lowest order. I wish them nothing but bad luck and relegations.

Back