Cardid to tell FIFA Sala move from Nantes was invalid

From what I've read, Sala signed a contract, which didn't meet the standards that the FA require for the Premier League.
He was to sign an amended one.
Apparently this isn't an uncommon thing to happen with foreign signings.

A comment on another forum does mention though that just because Sala wasn't eligible to play in the PL, doesn't mean that he wasn't signed to Cardiff.

I think FIFA will come down on them like a ton of bricks over this.
As well they should.

The above comment of all these clubs beginning with "C" is appropriate.
Absolute *unts.

What I read was that Cardiff had a 'blanket' insurance policy in the sum of £16m (that was covering ALL their players). The article I was reading went on to say that even if the insurers paid out that £15m Cardiff would still be liable for a FURTHER figure circa £16m is salaries and other payments. Can't find the bloody link now but will look again later.
That was said on TalkSPORT about a week after he died. Not sure if it was a blanket insurance but definitely would only pay out the £15m which wouldn’t cover the transfer fee and the wages etc.

Technically Nantes haven’t lost any money

What I read was that Cardiff had a 'blanket' insurance policy in the sum of £16m (that was covering ALL their players). The article I was reading went on to say that even if the insurers paid out that £15m Cardiff would still be liable for a FURTHER figure circa £16m is salaries and other payments. Can't find the bloody link now but will look again later.

That’s correct - it’s £30m in total.

In reference to other posts above, the reason Cardiff are saying that the contract is invalid is, ironically, because of a clause that Nantes insisted went into the contract. It was something to do with him remaining a Nantes player until the clearance came through and he was registered - so that they could then sell him again quickly if it fell through with only a week to go in the transfer window.

The Premier League have previously deemed this type of clause illegal and therefore refused to ratify the transfer, as did the Football Association of Wales. He wasn’t registered and remained a Nantes player until this was overcome. This was being sorted between the two sets of legal eagles but, given the timescales, wasn’t completed before his death.

No doubt Cardiff will be condemned in most circles, literally no-one likes us as the saying goes, but not sure anyone would pay a lot of money for something that’s not theirs.

That said, I’ve always been of the opinion that Cardiff should lodge the first installment of the fee with the Premier League until all the facts are established. Then, if they’re due to be paid, there’s no issues.

But, contract squabbles aside, I think there’s a lot more to come out of this yet - particularly with Nantes direct dealings with a banned agent and his subsequent involvement.

Have they been taking lessons from Celtc on how to handle things when a player dies.

No, quite the opposite:

Cardiff’s reaction when one of their players dies - “nothing to do with us, he wasn’t even our player!”

Celtic’s reaction when an ex-player who might even have been an insignificant bit-part player, or one who they even hounded out the door - “oh my god, mother Mary and Joseph, begorrah, I cant believe they’ve taken xxxxx! We can’t play our next game, the players may have once heard his name, call the press, lets get a testimonial set up. Patrick? Get the candles ordered. Keiff? Get the word out. There’s gonna be a vigil”.

It is £15m :D

It doesn't matter if they are an EPL side or not, they are still a business and if that business has not legal obligation to pay £15m then they are not going to pay it, simple as that. The CEO and Board would not be doing their duty if they did.

As I said previously though, I expect much more to come out from this, allegations McKay was making death threats to Cardiff employees over it says to me has made a mess of it somewhere along the line.

If he was legally Nantes player, then do they have a morality dilemma in that they should not want the £15m?

Why are Cardiff the bad guys in this when they might be completely in the right?
Are you trying to tell us that if the poor guy hadn’t had a fatal accident, he wouldn’t have been in the Cardiff squad the next game? They are morally corrupt, and I hope it comes back to bite them on the arse.

Morally I feel Cardiff should bite the bullet . The guy would not have been flying to Cardiff if he was not morally there player . But surely if he wasn't a Cardiff player he must have still been under his french contract and their players insurance .
Sounds like the French were to quick to discard his contract and Cardiff were to slow in doing the legal side to sign him up . Embarrassing on all sides .

They are trying to get out of this on some sort of technicality.

He was announced to the press as their club record signing.
Photographed with their CEO holding the Cardiff City top and wearing a Cardiff City scarf.
He did a video interview on the Cardiff City official channel where they state he has signed his contract and is now a bluebird.

Now I don't doubt that a few loose ends had to be tied up but to try and wiggle out of this now is utter scum behaviour especially as they and their fans have all officially mourned for him.

What a shower of bastards. They’ve just became the most hated team in the world for the EPL equivalent of pocket change

Are you trying to tell us that if the poor guy hadn’t had a fatal accident, he wouldn’t have been in the Cardiff squad the next game? They are morally corrupt, and I hope it comes back to bite them on the arse.

At the moment it happened, he couldn’t have been in the squad, because he wasn’t a Cardiff player

It really isn’t hard to see if you take emotion out of it, in a business outlook they are not liable for an asset that wasn’t legally Cardiff’s.

If he was legally Cardiff’s then they are acting reprehensibly, completely.

Ifs and buts outwith that.

If he was not signed why was he heading back there?

Shocking. They had agreed the transfer and if some buffoon got forms wrong then incompetence or a clerical error shouldn't make too much difference.

Cardiff would have screamed like feck if he wasn't allowed to play had the tragedy not unfolded.

They are trying to get out of this on some sort of technicality.

He was announced to the press as their club record signing.
Photographed with their CEO holding the Cardiff City top and wearing a Cardiff City scarf.
He did a video interview on the Cardiff City official channel where they state he has signed his contract and is now a bluebird.

Now I don't doubt that a few loose ends had to be tied up but to try and wiggle out of this now is utter scum behaviour especially as they and their fans have all officially mourned for him.

Wasn’t Jardel announced as a Rangers player but the Work Permit scuppered it

So if he died on the way over for the game he came to watch, we should have paid out?

Ours was pending work permit clearence
Cardiff’s was pending international clearence

Of course not the same clearence, but the same type of scenario you are saying,

Mo Johnston was paraded as a Celtic signing, we all know what happened there

Until the player is LEGALLY yours, he is not your asset.

Morally I feel Cardiff should bite the bullet . The guy would not have been flying to Cardiff if he was not morally there player . But surely if he wasn't a Cardiff player he must have still been under his french contract and their players insurance .
Sounds like the French were to quick to discard his contract and Cardiff were to slow in doing the legal side to sign him up . Embarrassing on all sides .

I have a theory on that, which might be shite but would explain why the player was in limbo and why McKay is so desperate for Cardiff and Nantes to figure it out without involving him, to the point he is allegedly making death threats.

It's the morality of it for me. They held up banners and shed lots of tears for Sala like he was one of their own. Plus they are an EPL club and £15m is back pocket change to them.

The right thing to do is pay the money, as a gesture if nothing else.
A gesture to who for what? If the contract wasn't finalised it's tough luck Nantes. Why Should it be tough luck Cardiff? Because you think they have money?

IMO,
Whilst, like everyone else, not knowing precisely when contracts were completed and therefore became binding on both parties. It seems to me that Sala (RIP) had signed for Cardiff City, at least in principle, given that he had previously flown to Cardiff ( presumably signed a contract ) and then flew back ( in the same aircraft and with same pilot ) to Nantes to say his goodbyes - the rest is history

That says to me that he had become a Cardiff City player especially given that he was apparently headed back to Cardiff to start training the following day !

He wouldn't have been going back to Cardiff to commence training if he hadn't committed to the club.

Cardiff should have had valid insurance on him from the moment he signed !

Cardiff will tell FIFA that Emiliano Sala’s move from Nantes was invalid when the club responds to a complaint over their refusal to pay the Ligue 1 outfit his £15million transfer fee.

The 28-year-old Argentinian striker died in a plane crash in the English Channel on January 21, two days after the Premier League club had announced him as their record signing “subject to international clearance”.
But Press Association Sport understands that Cardiff will tell football’s world governing body that Sala was not eligible to play in the Premier League at the time of his death and was free to join another club had he so wished.
I’m assuming here that he wasn’t insured by Cardiff.
Would Sala not still be insured by Nantes if that were the case?

I am reasonably certain that the Cardiff board are legally bound, and by that I mean they have an absolutely cast iron legal obligation, not to pay if there is no need to pay unless not paying is likely to lead to tangible financial losses. Their legal duty is to the shareholders of the club, with every decision made being in the financial best interests of the club.

Surely you know within 5 min if he had signed or not. Sounds like they are trying to get out on a technicality.

_105291671_sala.jpg

Surely you know within 5 min if he had signed or not. Sounds like they are trying to get out on a technicality.

Not really, Plenty moves have been hijacked after everything has been agreed, until the player is legally yours, signed and sealed anything can happen.

If fifa registered the transfer then there must be an agreement between clubs and associations!

A gesture to who for what? If the contract wasn't finalised it's tough luck Nantes. Why Should it be tough luck Cardiff? Because you think they have money?

They agreed a fee with Nantes. They unveiled him and mourned him as a Cardiff player. They are using what is essentially a loophole to get out of what they agreed to pay which is wrong given the circumstances of the guy's death.

They agreed a fee with Nantes. They unveiled him and mourned him as a Cardiff player. They are using what is essentially a loophole to get out of what they agreed to pay which is wrong given the circumstances of the guy's death.

What is this they mourned him as a Cardiff player nonsense, it means nothing in business terms which is what Cardiff are looking after.

Plenty of teams have agreed fees, made an announcement the player will sign then been gazumped by another club, it happens in football and if the contracts have not been signed and he was not LEGALLY a Cardiff player, then Cardiff have every right and duty to shareholders and the business as a whole to refuse to pay the fee.

You agree a price for a car from Arnold Clark
Arnold Clark write the car off
You still going to pay for the car?

It is business.

IF he was legally a Cardiff player, then Cardiff should not only be told they are in the wrong but should receive severe sanctions for this course of action I might add.

So if he died on the way over for the game he came to watch, we should have paid out?

Of course not the same clearence, but the same type of scenario you are saying,

Mo Johnston was paraded as a Celtic signing, we all know what happened there

Until the player is LEGALLY yours, he is not your asset.

As I said they are using a technicality to try and getting out of paying a fee which they had agreed to. Now you can dress it up whatever way you want to but that is the bones of it fella ...

As I said they are using a technicality to try and getting out of paying a fee which they had agreed to. Now you can dress it up whatever way you want to but that is the bones of it fella ...

Not really, if the deal wasn't fully completed for instance, the boy gets to Cardiff and suddenly Chelsea have offered £25m and double the wages.

He is getting on another plane to London and Cardiff don't have the player.

Until the deal completes, Cardiff are not due to pay out any money.

Once the deal is complete they are.

As I say, if they have completed and he is legally Cardiff's player, they should be hammered for this course of action.

If it hadn't completed, then they are quite correct.

It is black and white, not a technicality, it is the same when buying any asset.

Not really, if the deal wasn't fully completed for instance, the boy gets to Cardiff and suddenly Chelsea have offered £25m and double the wages.

He is getting on another plane to London and Cardiff don't have the player.

Until the deal completes, Cardiff are not due to pay out any money.

Once the deal is complete they are.

As I say, if they have completed and he is legally Cardiff's player, they should be hammered for this course of action.

If it hadn't completed, then they are quite correct.

It is black and white, not a technicality, it is the same when buying any asset.

He had signed a contract with Cardiff had he not? They had already announced it. It was the international clearance that hadn't yet been finalised, which is the loophole they're trying to use.

We don’t know the full facts about this transfer.

However, loads of players will have been and will be in a similar position.

FIFA (and no doubt lawyers too) will presumably have to decide whether a signature from a player on a contract - irrespective of any other documentation that would naturally follow - is sufficient grounds to deem that the transfer has been completed.

There can’t be any ‘grey areas’ in terms of which club the player is with.

He had signed a contract with Cardiff had he not? They had already announced it. It was the international clearance that hadn't yet been finalised, which is the loophole they're trying to use.

I don't think anyone outwith Cardiff, Nantes, The Player and The Agent know.

I am only basing it on if the player wasn't legally signed to them, I.e there was no way the transfer could be cancelled, player changes his mind, another club comes in etc.

I have said a few times on here, if it was done and dusted and Cardiff are claiming they shouldn't pay they should be dragged over the coals for it.

I do think there is a lot more to come out about it though, and especially around McKay

International clearance had come through, according to Nantes, quoted in the Telegraph:

"Fifa registered the international transfer certificate on 21st January 2019 at 5.30pm"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...city-plan-tell-fifa-deal-struck-buy-emiliano/

I am reasonably certain that the Cardiff board are legally bound, and by that I mean they have an absolutely cast iron legal obligation, not to pay if there is no need to pay unless not paying is likely to lead to tangible financial losses. Their legal duty is to the shareholders of the club, with every decision made being in the financial best interests of the club.
What, like the Rangers board under the spivs had a legal obligation to us, the shareholders. not to give contracts to the fat bastard which were detrimental to us. How did that go.

They should be facing a fine and a transfer embargo for this imo.
I agree completely if it was all registered and above board, but I think that is the key thing.

If for some reason it wasn’t fully registered and above board then I’m really not sure it would be legally possible to fine or ban them if no rules have been broken.

It’s morally reprehensible but I don’t know the full legality of it all, I don’t think anyoyon here does.

They must know how awful they're coming across here?

Between this & the Crewe stuff last week, bad time to support those clubs.

I think it's essential that emotion is taken out of this equation. Not easy when it's as emotive a subject as the death of a young player.

Ultimately, insurance will cover the cost to the clubs of the value of the player. Both clubs should stand back and let the insurers reach an agreement between them. It may go legal and it may be long and messy. Neither club wants the negative publicity from this however ultimately they are both businesses who won't make money by writing off huge sums of money.

If they've gone cheap on their insurance to save a few bob then hell mend them.

If they know, legally, that they are responsible, then they need to take the hit and do the right thing.

I don't agree with Cardiff on this, I think the first instalment should have at least been paid. If they are disputing paying it UEFA should have set up an escrow with the full whack ring fenced whilst they appeal. I've also said from the start with their multi billion cash reserves FIFA could have covered all this horrible mess and set up a trust fund for the lads kids.
Different circumstances but when you look at the behaviour of Fiorentina when their captain died, with what Cardiff are doing is night and day and I'd imagine leave them toxic with rival fans and sponsors/broadcasters alike

What is this they mourned him as a Cardiff player nonsense, it means nothing in business terms which is what Cardiff are looking after.

Plenty of teams have agreed fees, made an announcement the player will sign then been gazumped by another club, it happens in football and if the contracts have not been signed and he was not LEGALLY a Cardiff player, then Cardiff have every right and duty to shareholders and the business as a whole to refuse to pay the fee.

You agree a price for a car from Arnold Clark
Arnold Clark write the car off
You still going to pay for the car?

It is business.

IF he was legally a Cardiff player, then Cardiff should not only be told they are in the wrong but should receive severe sanctions for this course of action I might add.
Is this not a case of
You agree a price with Arnold Clark.
You sign the paper work.
You take the car home to show the wife.
You left your jacket in your old car that you traded in.
You get your mate to drive your new car to Arnold Clark to get your jacket.
Your mate crashes your car coming home.

The problem is no one will know exactly what paperwork was or wasn't signed until it goes to court or one side caves in because of pressure from FIFA. The only upside is any skullduggery on the agents part will hopefully change the buying and selling culture that seems to have set in to football with shady agents, practices and middlemen. But as always with money involved it may just get brushed under the carpet.

That’s correct - it’s £30m in total.

In reference to other posts above, the reason Cardiff are saying that the contract is invalid is, ironically, because of a clause that Nantes insisted went into the contract. It was something to do with him remaining a Nantes player until the clearance came through and he was registered - so that they could then sell him again quickly if it fell through with only a week to go in the transfer window.

The Premier League have previously deemed this type of clause illegal and therefore refused to ratify the transfer, as did the Football Association of Wales. He wasn’t registered and remained a Nantes player until this was overcome. This was being sorted between the two sets of legal eagles but, given the timescales, wasn’t completed before his death.

No doubt Cardiff will be condemned in most circles, literally no-one likes us as the saying goes, but not sure anyone would pay a lot of money for something that’s not theirs.

That said, I’ve always been of the opinion that Cardiff should lodge the first installment of the fee with the Premier League until all the facts are established. Then, if they’re due to be paid, there’s no issues.

But, contract squabbles aside, I think there’s a lot more to come out of this yet - particularly with Nantes direct dealings with a banned agent and his subsequent involvement.
"Literally no one likes us"

I don't think anyone cares too much to be honest.

Pay up your cash. You grieved for him like he was one of your own.

Back