Cardiff Met Uni

Superrangers

Apparently these guys have qualified for Europe, despite being a student-only side and now face our old foes Progres Niederkorn.

Looking at the table, they finished top of the b league group in Wales and had to overcome a penalty shootout to make it.

Does anyone know the ins and outs of this and how they qualified, despite not being in the top section?

Qualified via Play offs.

"Teams that finish in positions third to seventh at the end of the regular season will participate in play-offs to determine the third participant for the Europa League"

Qualified via Play offs.

"Teams that finish in positions third to seventh at the end of the regular season will participate in play-offs to determine the third participant for the Europa League"
Right, surprised the SFA haven’t thought of this.

Right, surprised the SFA haven’t thought of this.
I don't know if it would work as the 3rd spot would go to the Scottish Cup winner meaning the finalists of the play offs could both be in if an already qualified team won the cup. Would defeat the purpose of having it.

Unless you remove the Cup winner qualifying and do it as.

1st: Champions League
2nd & 3rd: Europa league
4th-8th Play off for the final spot.

It would turn the league into a farce though as you'd have the split as it stands and the play offs and only 9th,10th wouldn't be playing for something at the end once you factor in the relegation play off.

I don't know if it would work as the 3rd spot would go to the Scottish Cup winner meaning the finalists of the play offs could both be in if an already qualified team won the cup. Would defeat the purpose of having it.

It would turn the league into a farce though as you'd have the split as it stands and the play offs and only 9th,10th wouldn't be playing for something at the end once you factor in the relegation play off.
Could this not also happen in Wales?

There has to be a place for the domestic national cup winner - UEFA requirement

In Wales it TNS v Connah's Quay Nomads last season TNS winning

Connah finished 2nd in the League and because the Welsh Cup Winners spot moved up a round they benefited from that- due to Chelsea already qualifying for CL via the League that meant changes elsewhere in the EL access list as we know

Could it work in Scotland yes but it might became complicated due the slots for Europe

CL - 1st
EL - CW
EL - 2nd
EL - 3rd-7th for final EL spot

or 4th -8th if CW already qualified for CL

We would need to change the fixture schedule so play-offs take place directly after the Cup Final winners is known

In Wales they split after 22 games and play another 10 games - Cardiff Met finished with a higher points than 6th

Could this not also happen in Wales?
In theory yes but when I say I don't think it would work I mean for our league circumstances it could be implemented for sure.

It would need a full restructure of the league which the SFA seem reluctant to do. It would also need the SFA to remove the Cup spot and IMO the Scottish Cup win would be more prestigious as a play off.

If we kept the league split as is you would have a play off with 4th-7th and 4th/5th would finish the season playing the top half whereas 6th/7th would be in the play offs.

It would need a major overhaul to be implemented.

In theory yes but when I say I don't think it would work I mean for our league circumstances it could be implemented for sure.

It would need a full restructure of the league which the SFA seem reluctant to do. It would also need the SFA to remove the Cup spot and IMO the Scottish Cup win would be more prestigious as a play off.

If we kept the league split as is you would have a play off with 4th-7th and 4th/5th would finish the season playing the top half whereas 6th/7th would be in the play offs.

It would need a major overhaul to be implemented.
It all gives me a headache trying to figure out.

There has to be a place for the domestic national cup winner - UEFA requirement

In Wales it TNS v Connah's Quay Nomads last season TNS winning

Connah finished 2nd in the League and because the Welsh Cup Winners spot moved up a round they benefited from that- due to Chelsea already qualifying for CL via the League that meant changes elsewhere in the EL access list as we know

Could it work in Scotland yes but it might became complicated due the slots for Europe

CL - 1st
EL - CW
EL - 2nd
EL - 3rd-7th for final EL spot

or 4th -8th if CW already qualified for CL

We would need to change the fixture schedule so play-offs take place directly after the Cup Final winners is known

In Wales they split after 22 games and play another 10 games - Cardiff Met finished with a higher points than 6th

Wales is so much more complicated than I thought.

I thought the cup winner was the case but couldn't see the CW qualifying on Wiki but since got my head around it.

Prelim - Barry Town (finishing 3rd in league) and Cardiff Met Uni (Play off win)
1st qualifying - Connahs Quay (2nd league).

As TNS won cup and league there was an extra place for 3rd.

It's bizarre that Cardiff Met finished top of the relegation group and qualified for the play off which they went on to win.

Wales is so much more complicated than I thought.

I thought the cup winner was the case but couldn't see the CW qualifying on Wiki but since got my head around it.

Prelim - Barry Town (finishing 3rd in league) and Cardiff Met Uni (Play off win)
1st qualifying - Connahs Quay (2nd league).

As TNS won cup and league there was an extra place for 3rd.

It's bizarre that Cardiff Met finished top of the relegation group and qualified for the play off which they went on to win.

It is complicated but Wales have 4 places in Europe just like us but when you factor in a playoff system for EL qualification it doesn't make it easier to understand - not the only country to have this system

Since entering the Welsh Premier in 2016 Cardiff Met Uni have always been in the EL play-offs, as stated 4th-7th currently play for the remain EL spot

Back