Caretaker manager?

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
I see a lot of people urging that we stick with Pedro as we 'need time' to get right man and have to 'get it right first time' this time...but surely that points more to a caretaker than keeping him in place OR hiring someone right now?

Why I think this:
1. Many experienced and usually very highly paid managers currently out of work might appreciate a shorter stint in shop window
2. Any caretaker can use time to work with MA on his role - scouting, youth football, training facilities, fitness: where are we? What do we need?
3. MA gets longer to draw up a shortlist of people to interview
4. Caretaker gets ON interview panel with MA - no more non football people making up the panel
5. Keeping managers on after it's clearly not working often leads to worsening results rather than 'stability' - "Hey Pedro, you're sacked in May but I'm sure you'll be giving 100% until then eh?"

My own choice would be someone like Pardew or Allerdyce - British, experienced, can fight from the trenches, and both use sport science etc.

What say you FF? Is not jumping in NOW sensible...appoint for next season?

I think this approach works if there's very little availability of unemployed managers and you're waiting for a few bottom end EPL clubs to bullet. However, right now, there are actually quite a few options.

My fear is that if we were to go short term, it wouldn't be Pardew or Allardyce, but McLeish. And he would be keeping it warm for McInnes - who doesn't want to leave mid-season. That would be horrendous.

Would be open to Pardew or Allardyce getting a season long deal with the option of extension. As much for their benefit as ours, if that was an option at all.

Good points Earl it's only a question of time before Pedro looses the dressing room completely we have to do something sooner rather than later

Did big Eck not knock this type off arrangement back last year as he wanted guarantees for the job based on his performance?

Watching Miller with King yesterday I reckon him and Murty will be running things by Christmas. We're skint and no new wages required.

That's not what I want but what I think will happen.

Watching Miller with King yesterday I reckon him and Murtie will be running things by Christmas. We're skint and no new wages required.

Wallace joining coaching staff part time to 'do his badges'?

So we want Pedro gone and replaced with a Murty/Miller/Wallace combination?

And you wonder why people want to stick with Pedro and give him more time?

So we want Pedro gone and replaced with a Murty/Miller/Wallace combination?

And you wonder why people want to stick with Pedro and give him more time?

Who wants that? I haven't read that anywhere...frightening stuff and I can't wait to read about it.

Allardyce isn’t coming up here to be a caretaker manager (in fact I doubt he’ll be up here at all now the West Ham, Leicester and Everton jobs are up for grabs).

Pardew possibly, but it’ll be with the proviso that if he hits his targets between now and May, the job is his permanently.

I’m not sure the board will be willing to go down that route however.

Remember, after Warburton we got a non-entity from Qatari football!

I see a lot of people urging that we stick with Pedro as we 'need time' to get right man and have to 'get it right first time' this time...but surely that points more to a caretaker than keeping him in place OR hiring someone right now?

Why I think this:
1. Many experienced and usually very highly paid managers currently out of work might appreciate a shorter stint in shop window
2. Any caretaker can use time to work with MA on his role - scouting, youth football, training facilities, fitness: where are we? What do we need?
4. Caretaker gets ON interview panel with MA - no more non football people making up the panel
5. Keeping managers on after it's clearly not working often leads to worsening results rather than 'stability' - "Hey Pedro, you're sacked in May but I'm sure you'll be giving 100% until then eh?"

My own choice would be someone like Pardew or Allerdyce - British, experienced, can fight from the trenches, and both use sport science etc.

I think this is a sensible way to go. The next appointment is crucial. Has to be correct. We need to take time and get it right. Your plan is logical to me.

Watching Miller with King yesterday I reckon him and Murty will be running things by Christmas. We're skint and no new wages required.

Stuff of nightmares. Murty was rubbish. Somehow his period as caretaker has now reached the idiotic levels of Kyle Hutton v Man Utd :D

Why I think this:

IF we go for a caretaker think that just goes to show our board have absolutely no clue what they are doing.

Whether you are backing him, or wanting to sack him, you could not argue that Pedro has been doing a brilliant job so far- certainly there were doubts as far back as last season (maybe even doubts after the first match....).

If the board have been letting that go on without a backup plan 'just in case' it's terrible.
If they sack him go with no back up plan in place then it's utterly shambolic surely?

That’s exactly what I think will happen , I mentioned this on another thread .

I can't bring myself to watch another Murty team, I'd rather see out the season with Pedro - lesser of 2 evils

Tin hat on. We're not wining anything this season. The refs are seeing to that. Nor are we getting relegated.
Let Pedro & the current squad play out the season - unless the manager 'chucks it'. No sign of him giving up. More concerned about some players.
Next May, we'll pay less compo to everyone. And meantime, the board get time line up the right successor.
Or maybe, just maybe, Pedro will string some form & wins together. Refs permitting....

I am also concerned that King is trying to force a resignation and will sit back and watch it unravel. We have wasted every single year since our demotion. And more worryingly I feel we have zero cash to do anything about it.

Back