Carl Zeiss Jena

I’m sure the ECWC Final in 81 is the lowest attended European final - just under 5,000.

It was played in Düsseldorf so supporters of either team couldn’t travel for obvious reason.

Great book "frozen in time" about the cup winners cup has them in it, 1981 final. lots of anomalies re clubs that competed. Rangers obviously in the book.

I love the name and it evokes memories of hissing/crackling radio commentaries of European games. German reunification negatively impacted a number of East German sides. A real shame.

vs. Newport County in a European Quarter-Final.

@Wazza is usually the man for this.
Newport County?
A European quarter final!

Dynamo Berlin have always fascinated me because of their links to Erich Mielke and the Stasi.

A fair share of their fans are more aligned with the Der Dritte Weg neo-nazi party nowadays.

That said, the club is not the skinhead nirvana it used to be 20-30 years ago. You'll find plenty of normal, even decent, fans supporting them as well (god knows how they ended up doing so). I'd say they're like a more extreme, angrier, often scarier version of Millwall.

A lot of these East German clubs have the same problems. Lok Leipzig are the worst I've seen when they used to come up to play them in Prenzlauer Berg.

Class pics @Wazza !

A fair share of their fans are more aligned with the Der Dritte Weg neo-nazi party nowadays.

That said, the club is not the skinhead nirvana it used to be 20-30 years ago. You'll find plenty of normal, even decent, fans supporting them as well (god knows how they ended up doing so). I'd say they're like a more extreme, angrier, often scarier version of Millwall.

A lot of these East German clubs have the same problems. Lok Leipzig are the worst I've seen when they used to come up to play them in Prenzlauer Berg.

Class pics @Wazza !

They reckon it was a good core of them (Dynamo) who caused the problems when Germany played in Prague a few years ago, Chemnitz and LOK also mentioned I am sure.

I have to say when I went to watch them at Jahn Sportpark I went in a bar outside full of old DDR memoribilia and I was fascinated by it really, was a bit like going back in time - even the lads inside it dressing like throwbacks (obviously don't agree with their beliefs). Plenty of decent folk to seem to go and watch them mind.

People might like a listen of this:

Last edited:
A wee story about "German" binoculars :)

For VE-Day - My dad, Field Marshal Rommel’s binoculars and a game of dominoes to the death!
A little bit self-indulgent - but indulge me.
My dad, Daniel Dingwall, served in the war as a Royal Engineer.
It won’t be that long now until we have no-one left who experienced the Second War World much like the passing of those who could tell us first hand about the Great War.
Growing up it seemed every adult had been in the war. Everyone had tales to tell either of the home front or exotic theatres of battle overseas.
My cousins and I made a few shillings acting as waiters at family or house parties - in those days almost all men drank whisky, Piper or McEwan’s Export in those cans you had to burst open with the pointy edge can opener. The men were usually in the living room while the women were in the sitting room with sherry, Advocaat or Babycham.
The talk was always of shipyards - virtually everyone had worked in the yards, even the women, Auntie Jennie as a forklift driver and Aunty Joey in the canteen - and the war.
One of my dad’s pals was nicknamed “Sass” as he claimed to have been an original member of the Long Range Desert Group, the forerunner of the SAS Regiment. As the nights grew longer the tales got taller!
My dad’s favourite yarn was told about field glasses he had won in a game of dominoes with Field Marshall Rommel while he was a Desert Rat.
My dad was in the 8th Army Royal Engineers but said he went along with a commando raid on Rommel’s HQ and saved his captured comrades from execution by beating the Field Marshall in an all-or-nothing game of dominoes in which Rommel was caught trying to cheat and thereby got his nickname of the Desert Fox!
Quite why a sapper who was trained to clear mines and then spent the rest of the war maintaining cranes in Port Tufic was selected to take part in an assassination attempt was never full explained. Work accident and ringworm scars were shrapnel wounds!
Being a domino game away from execution didn’t really explain why dad or his 8th army pals seemed to hold Rommel in such high esteem as a decent man and a worthy foe. In fact, they idolised him and the Africa Korps as much as they idolised Monty.
It was explained that the graticules - markings on the lenses - on the binoculars worked so that you work out the range of tanks - and so they do.
I was delighted to be able to take the binoculars out to Israel a few years ago and use them in Haifa, the Golan, Jerusalem, beside the River Jordan, the Judean Hills, the Dead Sea and on top of the great fortress of Masada. The old man would have loved to have seen the Holy Land and I thought of him as I used them.
On top of Masada the thought suddenly struck me as I adjusted the eye-pieces. Why would Field Marshall Rommel have been using a pair of British binoculars made in 1944 - the year after he left Africa?!
The old man - as usual - had the last laugh. One more time.

+2

103Gary Cardwell, Christine Holmes and 101 others
18 comments
2 shares

Comment

The Welsh cup, English teams got to compete,like Hereford.Sure my local team ,Hednesford Town got to a final.
Don't think the English teams ,if they won got to go to Europe though

For VE-Day - My dad, Field Marshal Rommel’s binoculars and a game of dominoes to the death!
It won’t be that long now until we have no-one left who experienced the Second War World much like the passing of those who could tell us first hand about the Great War.
Growing up it seemed every adult had been in the war. Everyone had tales to tell either of the home front or exotic theatres of battle overseas.
My cousins and I made a few shillings acting as waiters at family or house parties - in those days almost all men drank whisky, Piper or McEwan’s Export in those cans you had to burst open with the pointy edge can opener. The men were usually in the living room while the women were in the sitting room with sherry, Advocaat or Babycham.
The talk was always of shipyards - virtually everyone had worked in the yards, even the women, Auntie Jennie as a forklift driver and Aunty Joey in the canteen - and the war.
One of my dad’s pals was nicknamed “Sass” as he claimed to have been an original member of the Long Range Desert Group, the forerunner of the SAS Regiment. As the nights grew longer the tales got taller!
My dad’s favourite yarn was told about field glasses he had won in a game of dominoes with Field Marshall Rommel while he was a Desert Rat.
My dad was in the 8th Army Royal Engineers but said he went along with a commando raid on Rommel’s HQ and saved his captured comrades from execution by beating the Field Marshall in an all-or-nothing game of dominoes in which Rommel was caught trying to cheat and thereby got his nickname of the Desert Fox!
Quite why a sapper who was trained to clear mines and then spent the rest of the war maintaining cranes in Port Tufic was selected to take part in an assassination attempt was never full explained. Work accident and ringworm scars were shrapnel wounds!
Being a domino game away from execution didn’t really explain why dad or his 8th army pals seemed to hold Rommel in such high esteem as a decent man and a worthy foe. In fact, they idolised him and the Africa Korps as much as they idolised Monty.
It was explained that the graticules - markings on the lenses - on the binoculars worked so that you work out the range of tanks - and so they do.
I was delighted to be able to take the binoculars out to Israel a few years ago and use them in Haifa, the Golan, Jerusalem, beside the River Jordan, the Judean Hills, the Dead Sea and on top of the great fortress of Masada. The old man would have loved to have seen the Holy Land and I thought of him as I used them.
On top of Masada the thought suddenly struck me as I adjusted the eye-pieces. Why would Field Marshall Rommel have been using a pair of British binoculars made in 1944 - the year after he left Africa?!

+2

18 comments
2 shares

Comment

Brilliant story. Thanks for sharing.

Who did they play in the final? I’ve just googled the binoculars and seemingly they are worth a couple of hundred quid, I doubt he’d have given me them if he’d realised what they could be worth. :))
Nah mate they’re tourist tat and nothing more. That being said I’ll gladly give you £20 for them.

B-D

+2

18 comments
2 shares

Comment

My grandad never spoke of the war, and it wasn’t mentioned when I was a kid, but he was injured in battle with shrapnel wounds, so he had a built up shoe, and lived well into his 80s, but it was on his wedding anniversary that we were chatting in the hallway of my uncles house, and he started telling me about his service. He trained with a Welsh lad who he called Taff, and Taff called him Jock, they went everywhere together, and how they had a laugh, then they went into battle and Taff was shot dead yards from my grandad, he told of tanks rolling forward and bombs going off around him, and then he was hit by the shrapnel. Thanks to the great people of the hospital in Aberdeen, and then Erskine, he made a full recovery and led a full working life.
Lest we Forget.

The company is stil a high class lens producer, something the East Germans were good at. I have a pre smartphone mobile that used their lenses for the camera, 5MP which at the time was huge deal (2007).
They Used these lenses on the cameras for the moon landings and I phone cameras another bit of useless information.

Besides Zeiss, there's also Leica!

Besides Zeiss, there's Leica - both world renowned.

First camera on the moon was a Hassleblad and Zeiss produced the lenses for that famous camera company.

I know its mostly about the football OP but another fun fact(?) - fashion photographers in the 60's & 70's using Zeiss lenses had to either smear vaseline on the lens or cover it with a piece of ladies Nylon because it captured every detail including skin imperfections and subjects not happy with results!

Who'da thunk it - Vaseline, the Original Photoshop!

I remember when I lived in Berlin they were in town for an away game. They seem to draw a sizeable crowd for a team that basically has fallen away over the years.

How do you best get to these places? Football wise only really been to Dusseldorf in Germany (probably ideal for beginners!)
For Rostock Hamburg is best as the Train journey you see lots of Hansa graffitti as soon as you get in to Mecklenburg V, also lots of fans get on along the way so a good atmosphere builds up. Anywhere else in the East I have just flown to Berlin, Leipzig is the central place for many of them really mind - Jena, Zwickau, Aue, Chemnitz. Berlin is a bit of a crap Airport situation as you are spending an hour really before you get to Central Station but I think that is improving now, sure you can get to Rostock direct from Brandenburg Station

Dusseldorf is the most straight forward one really yeah. Berlin etc offers more for lower league stuff though, whereas Dusseldorf area nothing too special out the top 2 leagues.

I've hammered it the last 10 years and done over 45 in top 3 tiers now over there, lived there for 2 years which helped but did loads before and after just going from City to City by Train. Lockers in stations helped loads as well as flying in and out of different Airports. Done a few in Holland and Belgium as well before going on to Germany and vice versa - did a match in Germany at 2 and a match in France at 8 one Saturday! Been all over Europe now doing it, only got 3 big ones I want to do in Europe now, done pretty much all I set out to do.

Ryanair has been the big friend really over the years. Rucksack with me and 2/3 nights just going City to City watching Football. When you plan it well it can/could be really cheap, can’t help but think the golden days of it are gone now mind - often doesn’t seem to be as cheap and many routes have gone or schedules less frequent.

Last edited:
For Rostock Hamburg is best as the Train journey you see lots of Hansa graffitti as soon as you get in to Mecklenburg V, also lots of fans get on along the way so a good atmosphere builds up. Anywhere else in the East I have just flown to Berlin, Leipzig is the central place for many of them really mind - Jena, Zwickau, Aue, Chemnitz. Berlin is a bit of a crap Airport situation as you are spending an hour really before you get to Central Station but I think that is improving now, sure you can get to Rostock direct from Brandenburg Station

Dusseldorf is the most straight forward one really yeah. Berlin etc offers more for lower league stuff though, whereas Dusseldorf area nothing too special out the top 2 leagues.

I've hammered it the last 10 years and done over 45 in top 3 tiers now over there, lived there for 2 years which helped but did loads before and after just going from City to City by Train. Lockers in stations helped loads as well as flying in and out of different Airports. Done a few in Holland and Belgium as well before going on to Germany and vice versa - did a match in Germany at 2 and a match in France at 8 one Saturday! Been all over Europe now doing it, only got 3 big ones I want to do in Europe now, done pretty much all I set out to do.

Ryanair has been the big friend really over the years. Rucksack with me and 2/3 nights just going City to City watching Football. When you plan it well it’s can be really cheap, can’t help but think the golden days of it are gone now mind - often doesn’t seem to be as cheap and many routes have gone or schedules less frequent.
Great stuff - sounds brilliant!

I'm hoping a lot of the lost routes were temporary Covid things and will come back. Say what you like about Ryanair but they've really opened up Europe to your average traveller and made it far easier to visit 'off the beaten path' destinations

Great stuff - sounds brilliant!

I'm hoping a lot of the lost routes were temporary Covid things and will come back. Say what you like about Ryanair but they've really opened up Europe to your average traveller and made it far easier to visit 'off the beaten path' destinations
Been a great laugh, seen things I never thought I would. Became very addictive the more confident I’ve got. £6 to Eindhoven and stuff being booked when bored working and before you know it 3 matches lined up to go to!

Been a great laugh, seen things I never thought I would. Became very addictive the more confident I’ve got. £6 to Eindhoven and stuff being booked when bored working and before you know it 3 matches lined up to go to!
Think I spend my life on skyscanner!

CZJ had a great Euro run that year - Roma, Valencia and Benfica on the way to the final. They lost 3-0 in Rome and won the 2nd leg, 4-0:

A Roma team with Tancredi in goals, Falcao, Ancelotti and Bruno Conti.

Who are the last remaining ones?

I saw them win at Newport County in the 1980's in A ECWC quarter final.
I watched the video in an earlier post and Newport battered them, don't know how they never scored. Actually listened to the game on the radio at the time, they had an amazing run to get that far. The crackling radio reception and the crowd roaring their heads off gave the listner a brilliant experience.

Back