Carlton Cole "Holocaust"

Do people really say, as an example, that so-and-so defender had a Holocaust of a game. ? That's spectacular ignorance and stupidity.

I strongly suggest you read up on what the Jewish community's take on the use of the word 'holocaust' is.

To make it easier for you, they make a distinction between The Holocaust and holocaust.

Perhaps you should not be declaring a whole race of people 'offended' when they themselves declare openly that they are not?
I have and just read countless Jewish posters on Social media going mental and saying he deserves to be sacked.

The most commonly-understood interpretation of holocaust today is the mass extermination conducted by the Nazis, regardless of whatever other historic meaning has been attached to it. Using the word to describe a football match that might be one sided is just crass and dumb, and I doubt Cole used it thinking "I'm meaning holocaust in the ancient Greek interpretation so it's fine". I can see why people would be offended by that, if they feel it reduces the impact of the word in the context of the Nazi attrocities.

That's not to say he should be canceled, he'll have already well and truly learned his lesson here and surely nobody actually thinks he meant any harm or offence by it. I met him at a five a side game in London once and he was thick as shit.

TLDR version: murdering millions is a holocaust, a one sided football game isn't. But maybe let's all move on and not get hysterical

Sure this lack of intelligence was already known when he not only signed for them but thought winning a Scottish cup tie for you 3 points?

It is about intent. Nothing more and nothing less.

Did he use it to directly compare The Holocaust to a petty game of football in order to trivialise what happened to the Jews or did he use a word that means to 'obliterate' to describe a team being obliterated?

We all know the answer and all know, deep down, that intent is ignored in favour of allowing folk to broadcast to the world just how right on they are.
It's a stupid word to use. Insensitive even.

How many times have you used it to describe what you've wrote above?

like when Christopher Hitchens was thrown off an interview for saying the word '*****rdly'.

There is literally nothing wrong with what he said. The word existed long before what happened in WW2 and means that many things will be destroyed/people killed. It was used to describe what would happen during a nuclear war, amongst other things.
Maybe so however it is synonymous with the murder of millions of Jews. The word as you describe it doesnt suit the context of a football match either.

Maybe so however it is synonymous with the murder of millions of Jews. The word as you describe it doesnt suit the context of a football match either.
There are countless occasions where words nothing to do with football are used to describe football. We had one earlier in this thread when someone called the result a massacre.

When a player has ' a nightmare' is he thrashing around on the floor, asleep, dreaming of demons and being unable to run?

When a team is under the cosh, is someone stood over them with a weighted stick?

When a team have lost heavily have they really been battered to within an inch of their lives?

It was insensitive and in this day and age, bloody stupid.

What it was not was intentionally anti-Semitic or deliberately offensive.

There are countless occasions where words nothing to do with football are used to describe football. We had one earlier in this thread when someone called the result a massacre.

When a player has ' a nightmare' is he thrashing around on the floor, asleep, dreaming of demons and being unable to run?

When a team is under the cosh, is someone stood over them with a weighted stick?

When a team have lost heavily have they really been battered to within an inch of their lives?

It was insensitive and in this day and age, bloody stupid.

What it was not was intentionally anti-Semitic or deliberately offensive.
Unless you're Carlton Cole you don't know that. You can say, in your opinion you didn't think it was but, you can't speak for Cole

Thick players will have to go a long way to top the offensive stupidity of Geoff Hurst, who while sitting next to Garth Crooks on a World Cup panel, suggested a team with an outside chance to win it said "they could be the n****r in the woodpile."

My grandmother used to knit many many years ago and I remember her talking about brown wool that she bought and that was how it was described.

Only became used in relation to that after the 70s series of the same name starring Meryl Streep.
I was told that before that, Holocaust was normally used to describe a disastrous fire

But to trivialize arguably the low point in human existence, on the first day of Hanukkah of all days, is ridiculous.

Intent, not a chance in the world Perhaps a bit of public humility and a bit of media from community work, might help. Who knows, a half hour documentary with the player visiting the death camps might turn this genuine mistake into a learning moment. Or just cancel him, and hope it goes away.

My grandmother used to knit many many years ago and I remember her talking about brown wool that she bought and that was how it was described.

My other halfs gran 90 when she died about 10 yr ago was adamant that was a color, couldn’t take he anywhere to be fair :D

JS74986821.jpg

So you feel you should be allowed to call someone racist or anti-Semitic despite his denial and without any burden of proof?

Pointless discussion in that case.
I think you should re-read this thread

You aren't Carlton Cole and you don't know why he said what he did. I Didn't say he was guilty or innocent, I said his comment were insensitive to the Jewish Community and especially so on the start of Hanukkah.

Now, you just go and bore someone else as I've said all I need to to you.

I think you should re-read this thread

You aren't Carlton Cole and you don't know why he said what he did. I Didn't say he was guilty or innocent, I said his comment were insensitive to the Jewish Community and especially so on the start of Hanukkah.

Now, you just go and bore someone else as I've said all I need to to you.
You do not actually know what you are trying to say :D

We both say he was insensitive and I am pretty sure we agree it was stupid.

The funny part is tha5t you are claiming not to be calling him anti-Semitic, while at the same time trying to tell me I cannot say he was not being anti-Semitic.

You have tied yourself in absolute knots trying to be all offended on behalf of a group you are not part of.

Magic behaviour. Night night son.

You do not actually know what you are trying to say :D

We both say he was insensitive and I am pretty sure we agree it was stupid.

The funny part is tha5t you are claiming not to be calling him anti-Semitic, while at the same time trying to tell me I cannot say he was not being anti-Semitic.

You have tied yourself in absolute knots trying to be all offended on behalf of a group you are not part of.

Magic behaviour. Night night son.
I do know, it's you that thinks he's Carlton Cole..
I'm also not "trying to be offended" I have Jewish relatives and know for certain they would be offended and that they are sick and tired of the Jewish faith being abused and for it being alright to use terms and language that are insulting and offensive to jews

Now, for the last time You're not Carlton Cole, you have zero idea of why he said what he did.

Now, stop boring me.

For decades after the war, the genocide lacked any formal title in English except, perhaps, “The Final Solution,” the term the Nazis used.

In Hebrew, it quickly became known as “Shoah,” which means “the catastrophe.”

But it wasn’t until the 1960s that writers began using the term “Holocaust,” and it took the 1978 TV film Holocaust, starring Meryl Streep, to push it into widespread use.

I'm sure Rambo McInally coined this phrase back in the 1990s on Scots port, the dafty. Always wondered why nobody commented on it.

There is literally nothing wrong with what he said. The word existed long before what happened in WW2 and means that many things will be destroyed/people killed. It was used to describe what would happen during a nuclear war, amongst other things.
I see your point. But there is also a distinction between ‘personal’ language and ‘professional’ language.

In casual conversation, I get it. As a simile used by a football co-commentator? Probably not the best.

Cole should be warned by Sky (or whoever it was) on appropriate language and that’s it.

Last edited:
I do know, it's you that thinks he's Carlton Cole..
I'm also not "trying to be offended" I have Jewish relatives and know for certain they would be offended and that they are sick and tired of the Jewish faith being abused and for it being alright to use terms and language that are insulting and offensive to jews

Now, for the last time You're not Carlton Cole, you have zero idea of why he said what he did.

Now, stop boring me.
I’m pretty sure most in here would agree that the Jews get a raw deal in terms of where they fit in the ‘is it ok to offend them-ometer’. But there’s no malicious intention here whatsoever-stupid thing to say but that’s it.
I’m sorry but it’s people with your attitude who are turning the world into a strange and polarised place these days.

I’m pretty sure most in here would agree that the Jews get a raw deal in terms of where they fit in the ‘is it ok to offend them-ometer’. But there’s no malicious intention here whatsoever-stupid thing to say but that’s it.
I’m sorry but it’s people with your attitude who are turning the world into a strange and polarised place these days.
"my attitude"

like when Christopher Hitchens was thrown off an interview for saying the word '*****rdly'.
Was it in the States? Although the word has no racial origins it has been adopted in the States by smart arse racists (see Celtic fans saying ‘you okay, Hun?).

today is the first day of Hanukkah so, it was pretty damn disrespectful and offensive to the Jewish faith. What do you think his intent was with his choice of words?

'You've got to give Man City some respect,' Cole said, 'otherwise you're going to get picked off and then it's going to be a holocaust, and you don't want that.'

So, I take it from his comments that he thinks the scoreline could be a massacre if Man city pick off The Hammers .. that all sounds very offensive to the Jewish faith to me and especially so on the start of Hanukkah..
No offense was intended he’s just a bit thick.

Back