Carlton Cole "Holocaust"

Thick players will have to go a long way to top the offensive stupidity of Geoff Hurst, who while sitting next to Garth Crooks on a World Cup panel, suggested a team with an outside chance to win it said "they could be the n****r in the woodpile."

How about Ron Atkinson calling Marcel Desailly a 'lazy black b*stard' while still live to the whole of the middle east. Abhorrent views aside who is honestly that stupid to say that on the TV/Radio!

There is literally nothing wrong with what he said. The word existed long before what happened in WW2 and means that many things will be destroyed/people killed. It was used to describe what would happen during a nuclear war, amongst other things.
There is literally everything wrong with what he said. Many things won’t be destroyed and I’m fairly sure people won’t be killed during this match.

There is literally everything wrong with what he said. Many things won’t be destroyed and I’m fairly sure people won’t be killed during this match.
Ahh, so we can only speak in literal terms now?

There is an absolute race to be offended that folk just want to jump on.

It is a fucking ancient Greek word to describe something bad happening. People have used it to describe bad things happening for several thousand years.

Intent is just completely ignored now.

Ahh, so we can only speak in literal terms now?

There is an absolute race to be offended that folk just want to jump on.

It is a fucking ancient Greek word to describe something bad happening. People have used it to describe bad things happening for several thousand years.

Intent is just completely ignored now.
today is the first day of Hanukkah so, it was pretty damn disrespectful and offensive to the Jewish faith. What do you think his intent was with his choice of words?

'You've got to give Man City some respect,' Cole said, 'otherwise you're going to get picked off and then it's going to be a holocaust, and you don't want that.'

So, I take it from his comments that he thinks the scoreline could be a massacre if Man city pick off The Hammers .. that all sounds very offensive to the Jewish faith to me and especially so on the start of Hanukkah..

Last edited:
If you want to look at it that way the words like disaster shouldn’t be used to describe football matches either, and they regularly are.
Stupid thing for the guy to say, but hardly the end of the world. As usual people desperate to take offence.
In life actions speak louder than words, that seems to have been forgotten these days.

There is literally nothing wrong with what he said. The word existed long before what happened in WW2 and means that many things will be destroyed/people killed. It was used to describe what would happen during a nuclear war, amongst other things.
I think if you take a step back you can see why people are offended though. I realise the word existed before however it has become a very sensitive subject/ event , and you cannot talk about things like this in another context. Similar to saying “ he raped a defender” we all know what the commentator meant, however you just can’t say these things.

But it's synonymous with the deaths of millions of Jews. He shouldn't have used the phrase to describe a game of football.

I hate it when people cave in and apologise when they have said nothing wrong other than to have uttered something on the 'banned' list by the woke crowd on Twitter.

The more we pander to them the braver they feel.
Why would you use Holocaust though to describe a game a football? It's nothing to do with cancel culture.

today is the first day of Hanukkah so, it was pretty damn disrespectful and offensive to the Jewish faith. What do you think his intent was with his choice of words?

'You've got to give Man City some respect,' Cole said, 'otherwise you're going to get picked off and then it's going to be a holocaust, and you don't want that.'

So, I take it from his comments that he thinks the scoreline could be a massacre if Man city pick off The Hammers .. that all sounds very offensive to the Jewish faith to me and especially so on the start of Hanukkah..

I am absolutely fucking offended you had the affront to use the word massacre. As a MacDonald the word has terrible connotations to me and my family and despite it being a word not specifically owned by me and mine, used for 600 or so years to describe a mass murder, I find it revolting that you would use it in this context, especially during a period of bad weather.

I hate it when people cave in and apologise when they have said nothing wrong other than to have uttered something on the 'banned' list by the woke crowd on Twitter.

The more we pander to them the braver they feel.
Normally I do aswell but, Cole is wrong in this..

Woke, pandering to the mob, free speech blah blah blah its a change of tune when someone uses the word hun though

The guy is obviously a fcuking idiot. I mean that can't be up for debate.

Why would you use Holocaust though to describe a game a football? It's nothing to do with cancel culture.
People use a variety of words, often exaggerated, to describe the action they are discussing.
I struggle to see why this would offend anyone. If it does then they need to be told to go away and come back when they have something serious to complain about.

But it's synonymous with the deaths of millions of Jews. He shouldn't have used the phrase to describe a game of football.

It is about intent. Nothing more and nothing less.

Did he use it to directly compare The Holocaust to a petty game of football in order to trivialise what happened to the Jews or did he use a word that means to 'obliterate' to describe a team being obliterated?

We all know the answer and all know, deep down, that intent is ignored in favour of allowing folk to broadcast to the world just how right on they are.

I am absolutely fucking offended you had the affront to use the word massacre. As a MacDonald the word has terrible connotations to me and my family and despite it being a word not specifically owned by me and mine, used for 600 or so years to describe a mass murder, I find it revolting that you would use it in this context, especially during a period of bad weather.

Mate, you can try and be smart arsed but, for me, you are clearly just not grasping why today of all days Jews would be offended by this ignorant use of the term holocaust..

It is about intent. Nothing more and nothing less.

Did he use it to directly compare The Holocaust to a petty game of football in order to trivialise what happened to the Jews or did he use a word that means to 'obliterate' to describe a team being obliterated?

We all know the answer and all know, deep down, that intent is ignored in favour of allowing folk to broadcast to the world just how right on they are.
what do you think his intent was?

Mate, you can try and be smart arsed but, for me, you are clearly just not grasping why today of all days Jews would be offended by this ignorant use of the term holocaust..

It is not being smart arsed in the slightest.

It was a stupid thing to say, insensitive even. It was not intended in any way to offend people and it was not, actually, offensive on any level. He used a word in absolutely the correct manner and correct context.

It is not being smart arsed in the slightest.

It was a stupid thing to say, insensitive even. It was not intended in any way to offend people and it was not, actually, offensive on any level.

He used a word in absolutely the correct manner and correct context.
says you but plenty of Jewish people disagree with you and as you have no idea what word he should have used or his intent on using the term he did, you cant speak for him!

what do you think his intent was?
If you want to accuse him of anti-Semitism, go right ahead and say it. It is not my place to accuse him of anything.

My guess is that he used a word to describes someone or something being on the receiving end of something terrible to describe a team potentially getting a doing.

I've heard it used in that context quite often over the years. I appreciate that it is offensive but why now?

If you want to accuse him of anti-Semitism, go right ahead and say it. It is not my place to accuse him of anything.

My guess is that he used a word to describes someone or something being on the receiving end of something terrible to describe a team potentially getting a doing.
I think IT was pretty obvious what I meant considering I used the term Hanukkah twice and said if was offensive to the Jewish faith.

Pre-war was over 80 years ago now. Things change. Langauge evolves with the times. Not appropriate now in a football context.

says you but plenty of Jewish people disagree with you and as you have no idea what word he should have used or his intent on using the term he did, you cant speak for him!
I strongly suggest you read up on what the Jewish community's take on the use of the word 'holocaust' is.

To make it easier for you, they make a distinction between The Holocaust and holocaust.

Perhaps you should not be declaring a whole race of people 'offended' when they themselves declare openly that they are not?

Back