Carlton Cole "Holocaust"

Why would you use Holocaust though to describe a game a football? It's nothing to do with cancel culture.
The difference is in the captalisation. I think he's using "a holocaust" to mean a disaster. It's exaggerated but hyperbole isn't illegal. I'm pretty sure he wasn't referring to "The Holocaust" and suggesting it was actually going to be on a par with genocide.

Political correctness shouldn't be an excuse for cordoning off whole sections of the English language.

Only on FF would a load of grown ups defend the use of the word. To some on here it is an affront to their identity, as they quite enjoy using offensive language.

Only on FF would a load of grown ups defend the use of the word. To some on here it is an affront to their identity, as they quite enjoy using offensive language.
I think you'll find plenty of people in the real world have used or use the term when talking about football or when shit hits the fan in their own life. It's a word. I don't know people in the real world that have the views in these issues like the little woke gang on here. Certainly never met them following Rangers. If someone is racist or anything like that they should pay the price. But shit like this and the mock offence on others behalf by bed wetters makes normal people think it's all a load of old bollocks imo. Maybe I just don't move in the same circles with social justice warriors RSC.

Last edited:
This is where your head starts to hurt.

I don't use holocaust personally, but I'll say "Murder" and words that could be taken badly.

Apologise and move on, or has he been cancelled?

It's a word. Folk should check out the meaning. Similar words are carnage, slaughter, devastation, massacre, catastrophe etc etc
He done fvck all wrong and should not have had to aplogise imho.
If he had said "the holocaust" then yes, I could see the point.
He simply used a noun to describe a possible outcome.
The word is not, and should not, be for the exclusive use for what happend to the jewish people.

Last edited:
I think you'll find plenty of people in the real world have used or use the term when talking about football or when shit hits the fan in their own life. It's a word. I don't know people in the real world that have the views in these issues like the little woke gang on here. Certainly never met them following Rangers. If someone is racist or anything like that they should pay the price. But shit like this and the mock offence on others behalf by bed wetters makes normal people think it's all a load of old bollocks imo. Maybe I just don't move in the same circles with social justice warriors RSC.

Seems a strange place to draw the line in the sand. I am not calling for the guy to be cancelled or whatever, I just find it odd that people don't think of six million Jewish people dying when they hear the word. It clearly could (and probably did) cause offence to people. If you and your 'real world' friends like use it in public, I hope it's quietly, because other people will think you sound stupid. Because it is a stupid thing to say.

Seems a strange place to draw the line in the sand. I am not calling for the guy to be cancelled or whatever, I just find it odd that people don't think of six million Jewish people dying when they hear the word. It clearly could (and probably did) cause offence to people. If you and your 'real world' friends like use it in public, I hope it's quietly, because other people will think you sound stupid. Because it is a stupid thing to say.
It's a saying I've heard many times over the years. You've already had a Jewish person on this thread saying he doesn't find it offensive. Maybe just the world I live in isn't full of people that take offence to everything .
People are free to take offence to anything and anyone. Just as I and others should be free to say feck up. As I say if someone is being outright racist that's a different thing altogether.

It's a saying I've heard many times over the years. You've already had a Jewish person on this thread saying he doesn't find it offensive. Maybe just the world I live in isn't full of people that don't take offence to everything .

Can I move to your world mate?

Do you always walk about with your head up your arse?

Do you always walk about with your head up your arse?
Daft wee boys thinking being all PC is going to get them their hole.

Oh thank god, the voice of maturity has waded in.

I am nearly 40. I am not 'being all PC', I am suggesting that there might be a tiny chance that not everyone walks about saying that things are a holocaust. And that perhaps some of the Jewish community, as well as others, might find the term synonymous with the death of 6 million Jews. I think you are getting 'being all PC' mixed up with just being a decent human being. Nugget.

Ahh, so we can only speak in literal terms now?

There is an absolute race to be offended that folk just want to jump on.

It is a fucking ancient Greek word to describe something bad happening. People have used it to describe bad things happening for several thousand years.

Intent is just completely ignored now.
As if he knows the origin of the word. In the modern world, holocaust means the extermination of Jews. People used to use the n word to mean black, but we don’t now, because of the history associated with the word.

Oh thank god, the voice of maturity has waded in.

I am nearly 40. I am not 'being all PC', I am suggesting that there might be a tiny chance that not everyone walks about saying that things are a holocaust. And that perhaps some of the Jewish community, as well as others, might find the term synonymous with the death of 6 million Jews. I think you are getting 'being all PC' mixed up with just being a decent human being. Nugget.
Or perhaps some people can put things in context without being a drama queen.

I think you move in the same circles with people who think its the 19th century and they can be as offensive as they want. Don’t worry, your life isn’t going to change for the worse if you can’t be offensive, you’ll just have to alter your vocabulary

As if he knows the origin of the word. In the modern world, holocaust means the extermination of Jews. People used to use the n word to mean black, but we don’t now, because of the history associated with the word.
Sounds like you are the one that doesn't know what it means, the dictionary is your friend

Just say what you want. Fuck everyone else, If they are offended that's their problem. We are REAL men! We won't say whatever we want at work, or near a policeman, or in the company of people of the Jewish faith. Real men! Not fannies! Men!
I've already said in a previous post that if someone is genuinely racist they should face the consequences. The pile ons on non issues like this are pathetic and childish.

I don’t decide it. Ask Jewish people if they’re okay with it.
A Jewish person already been on the thread saying he doesn't care. Some will be offended as that's the world we live in. Some won't care. If he was using some derogatory racial , religious derogatory remarks about Jewish people I'm on board but bullshit like this turns many off from listening tbh.

But it's synonymous with the deaths of millions of Jews. He shouldn't have used the phrase to describe a game of football.
It's the same with a swastika. It is a Buddhist symbol of peace but in western culture it will be synonymous with the Nazi's for centuries.

People arguing about the word meaning this and how it was used long before that, are on the same wavelength as the Tim's who claim Hun isn't sectarian, because it was used in different contexts in the past.

I've already said in a previous post that if someone is genuinely racist they should face the consequences. The pile ons on non issues like this are pathetic and childish.
Not really a pile on. I just find it really tiring when I come in here and there are folk genuinely trying to claim that it's just a word, like people are stupid because it makes them think of the one of the worst events in human history.

There is a reason the word is taboo, and if you can't see it then there is no hope for you. If he has said that on German radio, things would have been a lot worse for the guy. Like I say, I think it was a daft thing to say, I just don't get why people on here are tying themselves in knots trying to claim that it's fine. It is clearly not fine.

Not really a pile on. I just find it really tiring when I come in here and there are folk genuinely trying to claim that it's just a word, like people are stupid because it makes them think of the one of the worst events in human history.

There is a reason the word is taboo, and if you can't see it then there is no hope for you. If he has said that on German radio, things would have been a lot worse for the guy. Like I say, I think it was a daft thing to say, I just don't get why people on here are tying themselves in knots trying to claim that it's fine. It is clearly not fine.
We'll agree to disagree as I don't see it as a taboo word at all. Still allowed to agree to disagree nowadays? Probably not

Jewish people know the difference between the word holocaust and the holocaust so why don't you stop insulting the Jews.
Really?! From what I have read on the subject, some Jewish people are ok with it. Others find that using the term trivialises what happened. I also read interview on a few years back with some Jewish bloke saying that using the term is offensive, and that antisemites would use the term in a general context around them to make them feel uncomfortable (along with other terms). You obviously know better, according to your post, we are insulting the Jewish population by not using the word holocaust all the time.

As always with issues like this it is hard to put yourself in the shoes of others who were impacted horrific events in the past.

Let's just say I wouldn't want ANYONE making trivial football analogies based on the Ibrox disaster.

Had a look, seems he's apologised.

Is that the end of it?

Is it a hardship to not use the word?

Tune in next week for "Gary Linekar says disaster".

We'll agree to disagree as I don't see it as a taboo word at all. Still allowed to agree to disagree nowadays? Probably not
This is the attitude that pisses me off. "Can't say this anymore, can't say that anymore". Language evolves and people's sensitivities change. It changes as we evolve as humans. We can't just freeze time to when YOU thought it was ok to say certain things about the group of people you want to ostracize. Maybe learn why language is changing the way it is, or maybe just try just being nice to folk. No matter who or what they are.

Really?! From what I have read on the subject, some Jewish people are ok with it. Others find that using the term trivialises what happened. I also read interview on a few years back with some Jewish bloke saying that using the term is offensive, and that antisemites would use the term in a general context around them to make them feel uncomfortable (along with other terms). You obviously know better, according to your post, we are insulting the Jewish population by not using the word holocaust all the time.
Finally we agree :p

Had a look, seems he's apologised.

Is that the end of it?

Is it a hardship to not use the word?

Tune in next week for "Gary Linekar says disaster".
Aye it should, and will be the end of it. The problem with last point is 'The Disaster' isn't a thing, and you know the difference.

Back