Cascade at the Edmiston Club

Morelos_55

Hi guys, a bit of a long shot here. Does anybody have any information or newspaper clippings of a band that used to residency at the Edmiston Club back in the 70s called Cascade? Been looking for information on them for quite a while but i'm not finding much online. My dad was very good friends with the lead singer who sadly passed away a few years ago so it would be great i could find some pictures or articles of the band. I found some newspaper clippings that Mark posted a few years ago of bands playing the Club but none of Cascade unfortunately.

Hi guys, a bit of a long shot here. Does anybody have any information or newspaper clippings of a band that used to residency at the Edmiston Club back in the 70s called Cascade? Been looking for information on them for quite a while but i'm not finding much online. My dad was very good friends with the lead singer who sadly passed away a few years ago so it would be great i could find some pictures or articles of the band. I found some newspaper clippings that Mark posted a few years ago of bands playing the Club but none of Cascade unfortunately.
I'm sure they were the resident band

Reactions: Gee
They were really good and always had the place rocking, they regularly played through the 80s and 90s too in the Edmiston club, they gained quite the following and I may be wrong but I’m sure they released an album which was advertised on STV.

The guitarist was a Tam Stevenson.

Very talented wee guy, Super sang the odd song with them on Sunday afternoons at Major Ness.

Last edited:
Anyone with back issues of the a Rangers news will be able to provide info.

I have a bunch of programmes from the early 70s, I’ll have a look and see if I turn up anything. Any idea of the year(s). The Rangers News from that timeframe is a probably a better bet though

Last edited:
Was that them that sang "Rangers all over the world " during their show ?

Remember them playing at the old Louden POTY

The guys that were in Cascade will be in their mid 60’s early 70’s now.

Des Barclay

John Crawford (bass)

cant remember other guy.

was the 80s not 70s im sure and as someone above mentioned they had 1 album.

I have a bunch of programmes from the early 70s, I’ll have a look and see if I turn up anything. Any idea of the year(s). The Rangers News from that timeframe is a probably a better bet though

Time frames i'm not too sure about, i do know they were the resident band for around 10 years as they used to joke that they had longer contracts than the players! Probably late 70's early 80's.

They were really good and always had the place rocking, they regularly played through the 80s and 90s too in the Edmiston club, they gained quite the following and I may be wrong but I’m sure they released an album which was advertised on STV.

If only i could get my hands on that album, that would be superb!
Des Barclay

John Crawford (bass)

cant remember other guy.

was the 80s not 70s im sure and as someone above mentioned they had 1 album.

I think it was late 70's early 80's but i'm not 100% sure, i do know they were resident for about 10 years.

im wondering if the line up changed at some point cos that name doesnt ring a bell, Des Barclay was the one who had a son with a illness/disability,
Did a rsc have wee fellas name on their club info?
ie, wee des loyal, or am I way out?

im wondering if the line up changed at some point cos that name doesnt ring a bell, Des Barclay was the one who had a son with a illness/disability,

He was defo on lead guitar when they appeared on Stars In Their Eyes (Marti Caine), think he might’ve jacked it mid 80’s to teach guitar.

He’s a nice wee guy.

Had some cracking nights in the Edmiston. I liked the way they were flexible re pricing in that you could book a table a la carte, take a set menu option, or just pay entry fee with no meal.

Had some cracking nights in the Edmiston. I liked the way they were flexible re pricing in that you could book a table a la carte, take a set menu option, or just pay entry fee with no meal.

Last time I was in it was Rangers News POTY, Hateley eon, couldn’t make it as was playing in a testimonial at Pompey.

Really good night.

It was a brilliant club, used to go pre match with my auld boy and brother, place was always packed, they would show videos of Rangers games, occasionally Cascade would play too, wee bite to eat and my da would have a few pints.

When I got older the club was still on the go, the POTY dances were something else, some amazing nights with the players, the place was jumping, thank god there weren’t camera phones back then :D

You haven't got a closer time scale? i could do a hunt for you but a near date, give and take a few years would be ideal

This is from the Rangers News in December 1994.You will see them mentioned. I think they were resident in the Edmiston Club through most of the nineties. I'm pretty sure the Rangers News had an article about the singers boy being ill.

6gQLgTZ.jpg

Just noticed the Wee Des/Ally McCoist RSC Christmas Dance on 26th December. That is probably a reference to the boy mentioned.

Had many great nights at the Edmiston club and Cascade were a class band. A lot of top acts played it over the years and the club is sadly missed.

Looking through the old Rangers News they had some well known acts. Tony Christie, The Drifters, Frank Carson. Even Suzie Quatro one night. Boxing nights and snooker competitions as well.

I used to go out with big Des the drummer's daughter.
Know Tam Stevenson, well, they played in Burnbank Masonic too on the afternoon shift, they had a massive PA and played all mic'ed up which was rare at the time.
Tam became a christian and chucked playing live, a real shame as he was a very talented guitarist.
Always remember he took his teeth out and "gurned" at the crowd!
Great band.

Back