Casemiro-Kroos-Modric the end of an era

Is it just me or could Kroos and Modric make Seb Faure look good in that holding role.
Never really bosses the same performances Brazil that he did with Real and will be an interesting dynamic.

Still an outrageous talent though and the type of boy Utd need but £70m and &350k per week! On a 30 year old :eek:
I for one hope he unsettles ALL the obvious prima donnas !

He looks like a little skinny girl but what a fucking footballer he is.

Would have been great if Allly had went and watched Zagreb and came back and told Walter to go get him instead of forget it we can’t afford him
i remember Ally talking about that, was it not something ridiculous like £3m he would have cost back then? If only mate, what a player!

It's a good transfer for ManU, but it's the least of their problems with that clusterfuck of a defence.

i remember Ally talking about that, was it not something ridiculous like £3m he would have cost back then? If only mate, what a player!
Sure the story was forget it we can’t afford him

How true it is who knows?

What a player though. Think he went to Spurs for about £17m

Watched them last weekend mate n he looks miles off the pace his contract up at the end of the season would be suprised if he got offered a new deal
They paid 60 million quid for a player who is nearer 31 and in the last year of his contract?

Surely they new this?

Mental club truly batshit crazy stuff!

Be interesting to see how he fits in - 30 year old, played in a much less intense league all his days, for a team that doesn’t play high pressing football.

Varane looks like a little lost boy without Ramos holding his hand and I think Casemiro will also struggle. Man U just don’t appear to have any kind of recruitment strategy at all, he couldn’t be any more different to their first target De Jong.

I think Modric is a tremendous player. That midfield for whatever reason don’t seem to be held in the same esteem as Xavi and Iniesta but they won back to back to back CLs when Barca couldn’t defend it once

Probably because the Barca midfield bitch slapped them about for a decade in domestic football.

Probably because the Barca midfield bitch slapped them about for a decade in domestic football.
Modric (2012)
Casemiro (2013)
Kroos (2014)

Since the first one joined it’s been Barca 5, RM 3 & AM 2 La liga titles. I would hardly call that being bitch slapped in domestic football. You’re talking about the 5-6 years before any the 3 of them played for Madrid.

In Champions League terms since 2012 it’s Real Madrid 5-1 Barcelona. No contest.

Modric (2012)
Casemiro (2013)
Kroos (2014)

Since the first one joined it’s been Barca 5, RM 3 & AM 2 La liga titles. I would hardly call that being bitch slapped in domestic football. You’re talking about the 5-6 years before any the 3 of them played for Madrid.

In Champions League terms since 2012 it’s Real Madrid 5-1 Barcelona. No contest.
If both of those midfields came up against each other in their respective primes, there's only one winner. Not to take away from Real as they've been outstanding but the Barca trio was an entirely different level imo.

If both of those midfields came up against each other in their respective primes, there's only one winner. Not to take away from Real as they've been outstanding but the Barca trio was an entirely different level imo.
That wasn’t really the point that was being made though.

It would also depend who was behind them & who was in front of them to actually know that. Barca trio more talent, Madrid trio achieved more together.

That wasn’t really the point that was being made though.

It would also depend who was behind them & who was in front of them to actually know that. Barca trio more talent, Madrid trio achieved more together.
The Barca trio won the Euros and the World Cup to go with all the domestic trophies and the couple of Champions Leagues. I think they achieved a fair whack together. Madrid are the masters of the CL though, there is no denying that obviously.

On the face of it, it's a good signing. But when you think about it, they wanted De Jong in the middle then sign someone completely different. United's problem is they have no real plan. Also, almost any player that signs a deal 350k a week or more seems to just give up playing, with the odd exception. Ozil, Sanchez, De Gea, the list goes on.

Basically it ain't going to work.

On the face of it, it's a good signing. But when you think about it, they wanted De Jong in the middle then sign someone completely different. United's problem is they have no real plan. Also, almost any player that signs a deal 350k a week or more seems to just give up playing, with the odd exception. Ozil, Sanchez, De Gea, the list goes on.

Basically it ain't going to work.
They haven't had a plan for over a decade now. Every single summer is a total scattergun approach to recruitment after they fail to land their primary targets after months of trying. It is a genuine basket case of a football club off the pitch, and that is being reflected on it. I actually feel sorry for Ten Hag, he's a good coach and it'll take him a while to get the stink of this inevitable disaster off him.

The Barca trio won the Euros and the World Cup to go with all the domestic trophies and the couple of Champions Leagues. I think they achieved a fair whack together. Madrid are the masters of the CL though, there is no denying that obviously.
The Barca trio all playing for a great side like Spain at the right time isn’t something that a Croatian, German & Brazilian can really influence though?

Modric dragged Croatia to the WC final, Kroos won it in 2014 too.

That’s just not true.

If you include international honours then it’s a different conversation when one trio all played for the same & the other trio played for 3 different nations.

At no point when Busquets, xavi & iniesta were at their peak did they even come close to dominating European football the way Madrid did from 2014 onwards.

If u take modric out a that midfield 3 mate it’s no even Half as successful as it was it’s him who makes them tick he’s on a different level to the other 2

If you include international honours then it’s a different conversation when one trio all played for the same & the other trio played for 3 different nations.

At no point when Busquets, xavi & iniesta were at their peak did they even come close to dominating European football the way Madrid did from 2014 onwards.

Even club football wise the Barca trio achieved more and it’s not even close.

The idea that Pep’s Barca team didn’t come close to dominating European football the way Madrid 2014 onwards did is wild as well.

They didn’t really. Slightly different eras.

They have more than held their own domestically. And totally dominated where it really counts, the Champions League.

The Barca trio have won la liga 25 times between them, the Real trio have won it 9 times.

The Barca trio have won the CL 11 times between them, the Real trio 14.

Add in all the other domestic success Barca have had and the international careers of the three of them and it’s not even really close IMO.

Even club football wise the Barca trio achieved more and it’s not even close.

The idea that Pep’s Barca team didn’t come close to dominating European football the way Madrid 2014 onwards did is wild as well.
Pep’s Barca team - 2009 final (winners) & 2011 final (winners).

2 finals whilst they had Busquets, Xavi & Iniesta is anything but domination. By 2015 it was Luis Enrique in charge and it was Xavi’s last season.

Went to Anfield to watch Liverpool vrs Spurs years ago, Spurs won 2-0. Modric ran the show, totally dominated a Liverpool midfield including SG. He remains 1 of the best players I have ever seen live.

NI v England 2005 at Windsor Park.

Steven Davis showed Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham how to be a midfielder.

The Barca trio have won la liga 25 times between them, the Real trio have won it 9 times.

The Barca trio have won the CL 11 times between them, the Real trio 14.

Add in all the other domestic success Barca have had and the international careers of the three of them and it’s not even really close IMO.
That’s not what you said though.

You said they got bitch slapped by the Barca trio. And they didn’t, their eras were different, and both were fantastic.

In both eras the Barca trio dominated more domestically, and in Real’s they dominated more in the CL.

Pep’s Barca team - 2009 final (winners) & 2011 final (winners).

2 finals whilst they had Busquets, Xavi & Iniesta is anything but domination. By 2015 it was Luis Enrique in charge and it was Xavi’s last season.

Are you honestly telling me you don’t think Pep’s Barca team were dominant?

That’s not what you said though.

You said they got bitch slapped by the Barca trio. And they didn’t, their eras were different, and both were fantastic.

In both eras the Barca trio dominated more domestically, and in Real’s they dominated more in the CL.

I think it’s obvious at this point that we have a different definition of what dominating means.

NI v England 2005 at Windsor Park.

Steven Davis showed Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham how to be a midfielder.
Can’t remember the game but I’ve no doubt you are correct, you won’t get any argument from me, I love the wee man.
In the context of what makes the complete midfielder, I still think Davis is the best in that position at our club today.

Casemiro is good. He played well in the Super Cup and scored, but for me, Kroos was even better in controlling the midfield and must have covered most of the pitch. Modric took it easy in that game and still showed class with his lay-offs. Be interesting to see if Casemiro can be as good without the support of his 2 world class partners. At Man U there is no-one near the level of Modric or Kroos.

Was this Trio more successful both domestically and in Europe, than the Barca trio?

They may not have been as easy on the eye, but did they match them title for title?

Was this Trio more successful both domestically and in Europe, than the Barca trio?

They may not have been as easy on the eye, but did they match them title for title?
No, it’s 5-3 in La Liga titles for Barca in the same time period. With Athletico winning the other 2.

Real have however won 5 CL titles in the last 10 years.

But the point I tried to make though was you can’t compare them as they were different eras, those 3 are still playing, and current CL holders, whereas the famous Barca trio ended many years ago. They were most dominant when Pep was the manager.

No, it’s 5-3 in La Liga titles for Barca in the same time period. With Athletico winning the other 2.

Real have however won 5 CL titles in the last 10 years.

But the point I tried to make though was you can’t compare them as they were different eras, those 3 are still playing, and current CL holders, whereas the famous Barca trio ended many years ago. They were most dominant when Pep was the manager.
I was just wondering on the domestic front, I was too lazy to check for myself!! How many CLs did Barca win in the same time period, roughly, in 10 years? 4 is the number I can think of, I’m probably wrong right enough! We can argue that Real and Barca were similarly successful both domestically and in Europe so in terms of comparing both great sides, there’s not a great deal in it but most people would argue that Peps Barca were the better side and more successful?

I was just wondering on the domestic front, I was too lazy to check for myself!! How many CLs did Barca win in the same time period, roughly, in 10 years? 4 is the number I can think of, I’m probably wrong right enough! We can argue that Real and Barca were similarly successful both domestically and in Europe so in terms of comparing both great sides, there’s not a great deal in it but most people would argue that Peps Barca were the better side and more successful?
Yeah I think Pep’s Barca side were the best I’ve seen in the last couple of generations. I think they won 3 CL titles though did they not?

They both had their all time legends in Messi and Ronaldo, both had amazing midfielders, but their peaks were definitely at different times.

Yep, great midfield trio in their pomp and can't argue with what grey achieved.

I actually think this a fantastic deal for Madrid to get that fee. They have actually been really sensible in their recruitment / succession planning recently and have 2 ready made, younger replacements in Camavinga and Tchouameni (both of whom will go on to become fantastic players imo), not to mention Valverde who can slot in their too.

Crazy again from man u though...paying well over the odds for an aging player, admittedly talented but hardly seems to suit the pressing game that Ten Haag favours...total basket case recruitment again.

Back