Cash only at Ibrox

Contactless points are a must for the new contract in the summer. I don't understand how the queues manage to move so slowly anyway - maybe the drinks??

Is the problem not that while point of sale (POS) machines can read debit/credit cards (either contactless payments or payments using a PIN) offline, an internet connection is required to complete the card processing transaction and as such some of the transactions may not be successful. This is a risk to a business that takes a large number of transactions offline. Thus the infrastructure needs to be in place for businesses to using POS machines to have a reliable internet connection (wired for wireless).

Then why does Celtic have Domino’s?
Dominos is franchised.

Greggs isn’t.

I think they took their catering in house. Meaning that the board runs that particular franchise of dominos. They’ll have to pay royalties each month to Dominos for using the brand name.

Whereas with Greggs, the risk of the business failing will have a bigger impact on them than it would on Dominos.

The catering / lack of Card payment / choice of food and drinks is as outdated as many other aspects of the match day experience.

There is some stuff we have done for years - just because we are Rangers thats is nothing short of awesome, there are aspects of where we haven't moved on that are embarrassing though (this is one of them)

The whole catering experience needs revamped but I appreciate there are various reason for the cash only thing. Hopefuly the new caterers will be looking at improving it. Has there been support engagement as to just what people are hoping for?

In depressing contrast to the Ibrox match day 'experience', I was at the Arsenal on Saturday and they have notified supporters that all kiosks will become cashless from March.

What a backwards, embarrassing shambles we have in comparison.

Signal is terrible at Ibrox. As far as I’m aware these machines need to have reception to work, alternatively they could be hardwired in but that would be at a cost these shitty catering companies aren’t prepared to spent.

Hopefully we are putting out the contract to tender after this one ends.

Also would like us to make the concourse area larger by extending to the bits underneath the Copland, SJ and Broomloan. Understand it would cause issues relocating peoples bricks, but a larger concourse could give us scope for better catering and other facilities inside perhaps.

Be prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

Rarely do I buy from the kiosks now. Rarely do I have cash on me either, just card. Need to move with the times

The annoying thing for me is when I go within a minute or two of the half time whistle and the pie I’m wanting has sold out. This has probably happened 5 or 6 times over the last couple of years (probably only went down about 10 time’s). Surely you could expect them to have enough food to get through half time.

Contactless points are a must for the new contract in the summer. I don't understand how the queues manage to move so slowly anyway - maybe the drinks??

It's because the people serving food are painfully slow at their job. Either a lack of training or a lack of ability means it takes forever.

At a game last season, I was in the Club Deck an hour before kick off, first at the kiosk, and it took two of folks working there 2-3 minutes to get and sell a pie and a drink.

If you go to any pop up bar or food market you can tap your card rather than fumbling with cash. Seems bizarre we can’t.

Would speed things up too.

it will be down to the caterers probably. Loads of outlets each needing a terminal, and the training of the servers, some of who don't seem switched on. imagine some of them trying to change the printer roll.

Even saying "can I have a scotch pie please" is met with a glazed expression on their face like you asked them to do some quantum mechanics.

Always find the criticisms of the food at Ibrox funny. Are we expecting a Gordon Ramsay, Kitchen Nightmares overhaul?

A pie’s a pie.

The whole catering situation definitely needs a revamp, although people seem to complain about x/y/z to do with the food and quality of it every season at the AGM and very little ever seems to change.

I was at the Etihad at the weekend and the match day experience far outweighs what we get at Ibrox.

Pretty much a cashless stadium, decent food and a pint at half time. No waiting for 20 minutes at half time to be served and generally happy, smiling punters behind the kiosks. Night and day from Ibrox or pretty much any stadium on Scottish football for that matter

Fan experiences in the concourse has always been rubbish. Crap food, people rushing to put a bed on, ques everywhere. We should be able to maximise profits within this time. Many fans turn up early enough.

As a comparison, the Hydro is pretty new and accepts contactless.

Still a long wait in a queue for extremely over-priced food & drink!

How many people come with cash now? The last time I was at Ibrox was in September, and I couldn't believe I needed cash to buy something from one of the kiosks. Didn't spend any money as a result of not having any cash with me, which I rarely do these days...

As a comparison, the Hydro is pretty new and accepts contactless.

Still a long wait in a queue for extremely over-priced food & drink!
The Hydro will have an infrastructure that gives food retailers internet connectivity and this would have been designed in from the beginning, which would make it easy to use contactless point of sale machines. I suspect that Ibrox will not have anything near that level of infrastructure for food retailers which unless it is upgraded would present issues for contactless payments.

I stopped buying food and drink in Ibrox years ago. The prices are far too steep for the low quality food. Hopefully the next contractor is significantly better!

The Hydro will have an infrastructure that gives food retailers internet connectivity and this would have been designed in from the beginning, which would make it easy to use contactless point of sale machines. I suspect that Ibrox will not have anything near that level of infrastructure for food retailers which unless it is upgraded would present issues for contactless payments.
I know, I fully understand why we don't have contactless (and it's very annoying having to remember to withdraw money before heading to the game!).

My main reason of comparing the Hydro was to point out that contactless payments still lead to long queues, as well as over-priced food and drink :p

We need to improve the standard of food at Ibrox is one of the worst for food. Healthy options especially for the kids.

It's a pain if you have kids with you and forget to take money out. Apart from that I very rarely buy any food or drink in Ibrox

It’s definitely behind the times.
I’m just back from China, even the street food venders accepts their version of Apple Pay, no cards needed, just your phone.

I know elior themselves are massive, but because they bought over azure, they allowed that operation to continue as it was.
The catering contract they have with us is a fairly big Contract in terms of how It’s worth, although not the £35m it was quoted years ago, but it’s almost like a cowboy operation. Order the cheapest stock they can buy in and sell it off at massive profit. And give a horrendous service at the same time, while paying the staff a pittance

the regional director I know makes a right few quid off it.

the biggest problem is, this company has been involved with the catering for a very long time, and they are basically ingrained in the club, and they have rested in their laurels years ago. Trying to get rid of them will be a major issue as they will want to renew the contract, probably on improved terms too.

I remember year ago the old meal deals you used to get, even as far back as 2000 the food was decent and it didn’t cost a fortune plus there was a better selection.
Now it’s all garbage that’s offered
I don't get your reasoning that they will be hard to get rid of.
They may want to renew but they'll need to come up with the goods against other competitors.

I don't get your reasoning that they will be hard to get rid of.
They may want to renew but they'll need to come up with the goods against other competitors.
I know what your saying but why’ve been involved in that contract for the best part of 20 years. They won’t want to let it go now.

I know it's a pain for some but how hard would it be to stick a couple of quid in your pocket before leaving for the game?
There's more time wasted at the kiosks with the youngsters trying to put the lid on the hot drinks cup than any cash transactions take.

Those servers struggle to give you the right pie, imagine them trying to work a contactless machine!

However i agree, getting food at Ibrox is a total shambles, I think these days when you have to take money out (with no free to use cash machines around Ibrox) then run the risk of frittering it all away when you do, most folks don't bother. So thats cash thats missing from the club.

I dont understand why there is still places that only deal in cash never mind a business like Rangers. Absolute pain in the arse - cant een find a free cash machine these days. I think people might be inclined t buy something if card could be used

It’s madness. I was in a pub down south and the bloke in the toilet had a card machine for a lolly and a spray of Old Spice!

Some German grounds use a weird prepaid card system. Rather than using bank or credit cards, fans need to put funds on a card that will only work in that ground.

Probably fine for regular match goers but a pain in the hole for folk who aren't regulars at games.

Think it’s really bad that you can’t pay contactless at the food outlets. I hardly ever carry cash and sometimes don’t have enough time to get to a bank before the game.

Back