Cash only at Ibrox

Some German grounds use a weird prepaid card system. Rather than using bank or credit cards, fans need to put funds on a card that will only work in that ground.

Probably fine for regular match goers but a pain in the hole for folk who aren't regulars at games.
I'm sure the old season ticket smart cards were designed with this in mind. Obviously never came to fruition.

Card payments should be availabl,unreal we don’t have them in this day and age,you can pay everything by card these days.

The catering at Murrayfield when Hearts used it was the best in Scotland.

is the contract with the current supplier not up at the end of this season? If so we’ll hopefully get a company offering a better product and one that incorporates a card system along with cash to give people an option.
I had an interview last year with a company owned by Eilor and was told they do the catering at Murrayfield.

I remember going to Ajax and the only way you could buy anything was with a prepaid Ajax card that you had to buy from Ajax themselves, this is something the club should be looking at

I visited in 1999 and that was the system then. Astonishing that 21 years later we still use a system probably akin to that which operated in 1872.

It would be alot faster at half time if it was contactless only. I hope they do move on with the times. They would sell more if the queues were shorter.

Visited the Wembley Arena last year. All food kiosks were cashless/contactless. Even had express area for those who had preordered their food from their seat using an app and just had to turn up and collect.

In depressing contrast to the Ibrox match day 'experience', I was at the Arsenal on Saturday and they have notified supporters that all kiosks will become cashless from March.

What a backwards, embarrassing shambles we have in comparison.

I was fortunate to go down to the Emirates during a recent trip to London. The section I was in had booths and tables, a massive bar, a few choices of hot food and also more cafe style section with sandwiches, crisps, juice, etc. You could have been there for a good two hours before kick off and spent a fortune. We are so far behind in areas like that.

Oh, and Arsenal also have their own beer made by Camden Brewery in their own bottles. Very smart and tastes good.

I dont understand why there is still places that only deal in cash never mind a business like Rangers. Absolute pain in the arse - cant een find a free cash machine these days. I think people might be inclined t buy something if card could be used

Is the decision maybe not the caterers rather than Rangers? They are so half arsed about everything, I can see them not wanting to shell out for the equipment, wifi etc.

I hope someone from Rangers is going round other clubs (and not Dingwall or Elgin perhaps some of the bigger ones down south) and just see how the match day experience is there. There seems to be a lot of opportunities to bring money into the club.

Last edited:
Entire food operation at Ibrox is twenty years in the past. Contactless would move the line faster and encourage more spending as you wouldn't be worrying about if you have enough change/loose cash to pay, never mind the time taken by some staff to count cash or when there's issues with the till.

Is the decision maybe not the caterers rather than Rangers? They are so half arsed about everything, I can see them not wanting to shell out for the equipment, wifi etc.

I hope someone from Rangers is going round other clubs (and not Dingwall or something perhaps some of the bigger ones down south) and just see how the match day experience is there. There seems to be a lot of opportunities to being money into the club.

If it means doing some work then they won't do it , just look at the clubs handling of Safe-Standing question

Shambles. I went to see Dortmund in 2014 and they had cards which you could put money on at various machines throughout the stadium and that was 6 years ago this month. Everything ran so smoothly and added bonus of getting a beer. We really need to completely revamp the whole area and matchday experience in line for 2022

I don't get your reasoning that they will be hard to get rid of.
They may want to renew but they'll need to come up with the goods against other competitors.
I guess thats based on the current terms of the contract, lets hope it wasn’t signed by the same person as the proposed memorial garden

At each part there should be a cash desk and a
It's because the people serving food are painfully slow at their job. Either a lack of training or a lack of ability means it takes forever.

At a game last season, I was in the Club Deck an hour before kick off, first at the kiosk, and it took two of folks working there 2-3 minutes to get and sell a pie and a drink.

Even if you leave a few minutes before half time its a struggle to get back for the second half. I just stand watching the people serving moving in like slow motion and wonder how a pie and a drink can take so long to sort out! The time and service to me is actually more of an issue than the quality of the food!

I know, I fully understand why we don't have contactless (and it's very annoying having to remember to withdraw money before heading to the game!).

My main reason of comparing the Hydro was to point out that contactless payments still lead to long queues, as well as over-priced food and drink :p
As you say the Hydro demonstrates contactless payments do not eliminate long queues. However, contactless should be a bit faster. The 15 minutes between the first and second halves does give long for people to get from their seat to the queue, purchase something and then get back to their seat (assuming that they do not miss any of the game). I would assume that the interval at the Hydro will be much longer than 15 minutes to maximise food and drink sales (and profit). The Hydro also has the benefit of high profit alcohol sales.

The quality is poor, the prices are bonkers. If you reduced pricing by even 15% you would look at even higher revenue through increased sales.
I would rather drink from the overflowing urinal than pay that for a Coke!

I understand the principal of the captive audience, look at the away games throughout "The Journey". We sold out all the pies etc nearly every venue due to reasonable pricing.

I hope someone from Rangers is going round other clubs (and not Dingwall or Elgin perhaps some of the bigger ones down south) and just see how the match day experience is there. There seems to be a lot of opportunities to bring money into the club.

Thats a good point - probably is to be honest.

Never carry cash these days, however, the food in the outlets at Ibrox is so poor I wouldn't purchase anything from them anyway.

I always get something to eat at Asda before I go in everybody else seems to do the same if we had decent food and we ran the outlets ourselves we could make decent money from it.

:D I barely carry cash now, always using contactless. Thought wouldn’t affect me as I wouldn’t buy food in the ground, purely because I got a burger once that was as hard as a brick

As you say the Hydro demonstrates contactless payments do not eliminate long queues. However, contactless should be a bit faster. The 15 minutes between the first and second halves does give long for people to get from their seat to the queue, purchase something and then get back to their seat (assuming that they do not miss any of the game). I would assume that the interval at the Hydro will be much longer than 15 minutes to maximise food and drink sales (and profit). The Hydro also has the benefit of high profit alcohol sales.
The hydro only has a 20 min interval for most shows although I’d assume it has a lot more food stands than Ibrox.

The club has no say on this.

Elior run our catering and the club make no profits spent at the kiosks.

We’re as well as boycotting it until the contract with them runs out.

Next time they outsource the kiosks, fancy new fangled ideas like food quality and electronic payment support should be part of the request for service.

Their wifi doesn't cover the inside of the fabric across the kisosks but it doesn't mean they cannot fit ethernet with wifi a wifi mesh. It would cost, but not a helluva lot to cover just the concourses

I moaned about this months ago as part of another catering thread, glad to see the issue is getting the thread it deserves.

Seriously tho, 2020 but going to Ibrox is a step into 1994 all over again

Their wifi doesn't cover the inside of the fabric across the kisosks but it doesn't mean they cannot fit ethernet with wifi a wifi mesh. It would cost, but not a helluva lot to cover just the concourses

Any wifi or internet fitted around the stadium is an investment for the future, do people think we should just plow along in 2020 with no internet availability round the stadium? Regardless of the cost, you need to future proof the place.

Reactions: tam
Any wifi or internet fitted around the stadium is an investment for the future, do people think we should just plow along in 2020 with no internet availability round the stadium? Regardless of the cost, you need to future proof the place.

100% correct mate, the infrastructure runs in a stadium is actually a very easy task with all the open space and access routes.

Back