Catering

I think they should have put it out to Greggs and why can't they have vending machines in the concourse as there will be plenty of parents who are taking small kids and just looking to buy crisps and a drink for them that they could easily access from a vending machine. I also would mind a hot drinks machine as the hot drinks at the catering right now are stinking

I have been to corporate hospitality a few times and while expensive it's great for a one off. However in the concourses in the stands it's rubbish. I have not bought anything there in 40yrs . It's so poor Rangers must be losing a fortune. I was fortunate to go to Vancouver and took a Whitecaps game in. The facilities were great. Loads of different types of stalls ,seemed to use small local companies as well as the larger names. Worked well.

You’d imagine there would of been a tender process when the original contract expired? And you’d expect the club to do their due diligence and hopefully expect a much better product in the concourses going forward.
I’m just being hopeful I suppose as the selection we were faced with last season was guff.

Is it worth the bother for 15 minutes at HT if you really need chips and a burger they'res plenty vans around the stadium.
Think it's really about being able to give more to the club while receiving better the borstal quality at a fair price. You are correct in what you say but why should these vans get our blue pound for more unhealthy and expensive rubbish

The only beneficiaries of elior having their contract renewed will be the food wagons parked up around Ibrox on a match day, of which the club gains nothing.

For next season given restrictions on crowds at present I’m not too concerned about the food offering. How does traffic management work in the concourse next year? Nobody yet knows. Happy for the club to focus efforts elsewhere for the minute.

Contactless is a big improvement. Like a lot of folk, I prefer not to carry cash, so this is far more convenient and should be quicker.

For the following season though, I’d like to see an innovative upgrade to the concourse catering offering.

To people saying “ what do we expect from concourse catering , stop moaning about it “ , it’s as if we are expected to still live in caves according to some .

I had relatives over from Canada four years ago and took them to a game at Ibrox . They were so excited to go but to cut a long story short despite their polite demeanour afterwards I know for a fact they were utterly let down and appalled by the experience ( didn’t help we drew 0/0 and it rained all day ) .

I put this down to both their false high expectations ( hadn’t been to Ibrox since 1980s) with nostalgic and blue tinted specs hoped for a better matchday experience . They asked what the portakabins were for , looked horrified at the basic “ catering “ on offer , and let down by lack of any atmosphere or fan involvement . Talk about a damp squib.

What people who only attend Scottish football need to come to terms with is the rest of the world have moved on . My Canadian relatives go to ice hockey now and get ice cold beers and food from a menu delivered to their seats at games . There are massive parking facilities and on site entertainment for whole families . People are made to feel welcome and involved in clean, modern facilities. The matchday announcer actively encourages fans to join in .

Now imagine going from that , to a rainy Ibrox with barbed wire surrounding Grey portakabins to collect tickets , toilets stinking of 40 years worth of crystallised urine and regal king size smoke, then queue to pay a fortune for a brick hard molten hot pie and watered down coke served by grumpy teenagers in bobbled red jumpers 4 sizes too big for them . A matchday DJ who is too lazy to read out subs never mind encourage singing or fan engagement . You get the picture . And Ibrox is by far the BEST in Scotland ! Think on that .

We are stuck in our ways and thankfully the new board and marketing guys we have seem to have a handle on the fact in 2020 people simply will not put up with such crappy facilities for much longer . Football in other countries have caught up and overtook Scotland on and off the pitch and has left us in their rear view mirror for the most part . We need dragged kicking and screaming into realising it’s meant to be an entertainment , where we welcome fans willing to spend time and money in and around the ground . Otherwise we lose passing the baton on to future generations .

Apologies for the long post but I feel strongly about this subject . Rangers have been pioneers in Scottish terms in the past and it’s time to be so again . Let’s lead the way and let the others try and keep up with us .

For years a tim I worked with couldn't believe we called pakora that,

I also convinced him that up in the club deck we also sold 'No Surrender' Chicken fried rice.

:)

Years ago I got a yahoo in work going tonto when we were discussing bears pakora and blue nose burgers etc in the bothay . He actually believed me when I said we sold “ Protestant Pepsi “ , said we are a disgrace and stormed away . Incredible . This was 20 years ago . I think he still believes it !

Dramatically needs an overhaul. Even when I first started going to Ibrox in the 90s it was a lot better. Not asking for anything fancy just a better overall product and certainly going down the contactless route would help as well. Its 2020 FFS.

To people saying “ what do we expect from concourse catering , stop moaning about it “ , it’s as if we are expected to still live in caves according to some .

I had relatives over from Canada four years ago and took them to a game at Ibrox . They were so excited to go but to cut a long story short despite their polite demeanour afterwards I know for a fact they were utterly let down and appalled by the experience ( didn’t help we drew 0/0 and it rained all day ) .

I put this down to both their false high expectations ( hadn’t been to Ibrox since 1980s) with nostalgic and blue tinted specs hoped for a better matchday experience . They asked what the portakabins were for , looked horrified at the basic “ catering “ on offer , and let down by lack of any atmosphere or fan involvement . Talk about a damp squib.

What people who only attend Scottish football need to come to terms with is the rest of the world have moved on . My Canadian relatives go to ice hockey now and get ice cold beers and food from a menu delivered to their seats at games . There are massive parking facilities and on site entertainment for whole families . People are made to feel welcome and involved in clean, modern facilities. The matchday announcer actively encourages fans to join in .

Now imagine going from that , to a rainy Ibrox with barbed wire surrounding Grey portakabins to collect tickets , toilets stinking of 40 years worth of crystallised urine and regal king size smoke, then queue to pay a fortune for a brick hard molten hot pie and watered down coke served by grumpy teenagers in bobbled red jumpers 4 sizes too big for them . A matchday DJ who is too lazy to read out subs never mind encourage singing or fan engagement . You get the picture . And Ibrox is by far the BEST in Scotland ! Think on that .

We are stuck in our ways and thankfully the new board and marketing guys we have seem to have a handle on the fact in 2020 people simply will not put up with such crappy facilities for much longer . Football in other countries have caught up and overtook Scotland on and off the pitch and has left us in their rear view mirror for the most part . We need dragged kicking and screaming into realising it’s meant to be an entertainment , where we welcome fans willing to spend time and money in and around the ground . Otherwise we lose passing the baton on to future generations .

Apologies for the long post but I feel strongly about this subject . Rangers have been pioneers in Scottish terms in the past and it’s time to be so again . Let’s lead the way and let the others try and keep up with us .

fantastic post and sums up my feelings. I go to a lot of mls and nba games and I always come away with the feeling that rangers match day experience is a joke and it’s purely through laziness and not giving a toss about the ‘ customers’.

it’s 2020 yet you still can’t buy anything remotely healthy at the ground as the club have us all down as beer swirling blokes who will be happy with a pie and bovril. I am hopeful that James bisgrove will improve things although I have my doubts if we have entered into another contract with elior/ azure

Outwith football, I go to the NFL in London, the food inside Wembley is a bit better than ours but not a lot,also a lot dearer, the food outside is all local and artisan suppliers its fantastic and mobbed, real US & european foot stalls

Couple of years ago I took in a baseball game in Chicago (White Sox). Really enjoyed it but the two eye openers were catering which was top class and merchandising as well as a massive club shop on 3 floors outside there were merchandise shops (proper shops) inside. Catering at Ibrox is absolutely rank unless you want junk food there is nothing and the junk food is utter junk if that’s what people want at least get Greggs McDonalds or Burger King to provide it. No different to every other ground in Scotland. We should be looking at Spurs for how to do it or any sports stadium in the USA.

fantastic post and sums up my feelings. I go to a lot of mls and nba games and I always come away with the feeling that Rangers match day experience is a joke and it’s purely through laziness and not giving a toss about the ‘ customers’.

it’s 2020 yet you still can’t buy anything remotely healthy at the ground as the club have us all down as beer swirling blokes who will be happy with a pie and bovril. I am hopeful that James bisgrove will improve things although I have my doubts if we have entered into another contract with elior/ azure
He did mention that the club will ensure that their offerings will improve.

They definitely won't get away with no having bottled water anymore, ridiculous.

I’m sure the Elior deal was for 10 years and was signed in 13/14. It’s in the annual report.

I think outside the hospitality and restaurants they are quite poor (soda water with a bit of coke flavouring gets my goat) but Ibrox really isn’t set up for modern catering for the average punter outside hospitality. It’s pointless comparing our 40 year old stands to modern NFL, MLB, Bundesliga and Premier League grounds.

Obviously the issue with drinks can be fixed easy enough but we have barely any space in the ground for food prep, cooking and storage outside the hospitality areas. The kiosks themselves are very small. The facilities mean it is hard for any company to provide good food options for regular fans when it has to be trucked in elsewhere hours before a game and effectively stuck in a warmer. Improvements are there to be made but I wouldn’t expect it to become drastically better.

The prices are INSANE for the quality of food.
Emirates tournament we were involved in showed us up for what we are in that regard, hell, even Airdrie away in the 2nd Division showed us up.

£2.50 or £3 for a stale scotch pie that resembles a frozen morrisons effort that costs £1 for 4... insane.

A scotch pie should be around £2 mark, no more than that.

I'd love to see a Greggs or something come in as caterer.

Can anyone confirm the future plans for a restaurant/Argyle House restaurant?

I was informed that with the introduction of the Blue Sky lounge that the Argyle House restaurant would effectively be no more.

I was surprised at that given the standard of it and how beloved it is by the support who have been there and I would have taken the info with a pinch of salt if it hadn’t come from someone who knows(or should) about these plans.

Can anyone shed any light? I really would have thought that given Bisgroves gushing praise of how the BS Lounge will eventually look that it would have been a perfect place to situate the restaurant.

The foods rank rotten imo, it’s worse than the pikey burger van heartburn cheese burgers outside. Cold everything and half filled juices. 0/10 lol

Can anyone confirm the future plans for a restaurant/Argyle House restaurant?

I was informed that with the introduction of the Blue Sky lounge that the Argyle House restaurant would effectively be no more.

I was surprised at that given the standard of it and how beloved it is by the support who have been there and I would have taken the info with a pinch of salt if it hadn’t come from someone who knows(or should) about these plans.

Can anyone shed any light? I really would have thought that given Bisgroves gushing praise of how the BS Lounge will eventually look that it would have been a perfect place to situate the restaurant.

Argyle House restaurant will be replaced by The Blue Sky Lounge. As fantastic as the view is up there it’s very dated. The pictures of the hospitality area looked impressive and far more modern.

Cash or card - you'd need to pay me to eat that stuff - let alone queue for it

It does seem ridiculous, embarrassing & disappointing that we're making great progress on so many fronts - yet the poorest food I can think of - is still on sale at our great stadium

If for any reason I'm hungry before or after a match - I'll be using the vans outside the stadium - but I have to say the last couple of times I've used them - they also seem to have dropped their standards & increased their prices

Just relistened to the James Bisgrove pod on H&H and he said

"There's investment being planned with our catering partner and things like the matchday kiosks and the tea bars, to improve that experience, to have screens there, to look at the matchday offering from a menu perspective"

Elior are one of the biggest catering chains in Europe and the fourth largest in the world, making over €5b a year, they definitely offer quality food packages. What we will get at the stadium will be down to the package we have with them.

I find it difficult to believe just how rank this food is & can't imagine many other establishments tolerating such a piss poor product

If, as you suggest, we've negotiated a low grade package - we need to improve it quick - because the revenue we &/ or Elior make will potentially fade away to a negative value

We've ignored this for far too long already - so it would make sense to me to do something about it before it becomes even worse - if that's possible

I think this is a tremendous post.

Argyle House restaurant will be replaced by The Blue Sky Lounge. As fantastic as the view is up there it’s very dated. The pictures of the hospitality area looked impressive and far more modern.

So you’re saying the current argyle house restaurant will still be in situ for Friday lunch for example?
But just “rebranded”?

Definitely wasn’t the impression I got but I would be delighted if this was the case

I find it difficult to believe just how rank this food is & can't imagine many other establishments tolerating such a piss poor product

If, as you suggest, we've negotiated a low grade package - we need to improve it quick - because the revenue we &/ or Elior make will potentially fade away to a negative value

We've ignored this for far too long already - so it would make sense to me to do something about it before it becomes even worse - if that's possible

They provide most of the private schools in Britain, as well as the Louvre in Paris and a restaurant in the Eiffel Tower, from their Wiki page. They’ve recently got the contract for the Met Police and do most of the schools in France, those will be different levels of service and quality. From what I can see online, they are as well regarded as any large catering firm. We will get what we pay for and I would guess all of the effort and investment will go into hospitality catering and the training ground, and the masses are on a low package, because the profit margin will still be good.

The concour kiosks are always busy before games and at half time so I would say the majority are satisfied with what is on offer.

They provide most of the private schools in Britain, as well as the Louvre in Paris and a restaurant in the Eiffel Tower, from their Wiki page. They’ve recently got the contract for the Met Police and do most of the schools in France, those will be different levels of service and quality. From what I can see online, they are as well regarded as any large catering firm. We will get what we pay for and I would guess all of the effort and investment will go into hospitality catering and the training ground, and the masses are on a low package, because the profit margin will still be good.
The concour kiosks are always busy before games and at half time so I would say the majority are satisfied with what is on offer.

Have you sampled what's on offer at Ibrox on match day ?

Have you sampled what's on offer at Ibrox on match day ?

Yes, it’s stinking, I’ve not tried hospitality though, but I’ve only heard how great it is and it’s the same company. Argyle House for example, is always recommended for a meal outside match days. The players and staff also seem fine with the catering at training. Do you not believe that there’s different packages between hospitality and the concourses? We get what we pay for from them, even the best companies have lower tier packages.

Maybe this will come with the fan zone which I think they need to up there game in regard food for in order that it is a success.

So you’re saying the current argyle house restaurant will still be in situ for Friday lunch for example?
But just “rebranded”?

Definitely wasn’t the impression I got but I would be delighted if this was the case

Sorry mate, no when I said blue sky lounge would be repacking the Argyle House Restaurant I meant that the restaurant would be getting removed for this new hospitality venture.

You’ve foreign kids with barely any English and wee lassies about 14 trying to cope with a mass of queues, it’s never going to work. The lassie that worked in EE could barley give out the right change despite it being on the screen in front of her. Yes it’s minimum wage but how the %^*& to do they find some of these people?

I stopped buying unless it’s desperation stages and every single time it’s a huge disappointmen.

Yes, it’s stinking, I’ve not tried hospitality though, but I’ve only heard how great it is and it’s the same company. Argyle House for example, is always recommended for a meal outside match days. The players and staff also seem fine with the catering at training. Do you not believe that there’s different packages between hospitality and the concourses? We get what we pay for from them, even the best companies have lower tier packages.

Well of course I believe there are different packages dished out by this company & I can't believe the fare on offer at the Eiffel Tower, the Met police or to our own playing staff would be similar to the stuff we get on sale at the concourse outlets during match days -
I mean most people wouldn't tolerate this poor quality food- let alone those mentioned

The point is though- this package isn't good enough

I'd argue that the custom they currently get inside the stadium is mostly from those (like myself) who use it as a last resort
If I arrive close to kick-off time & hadn't had much of a breakfast then I'll consider using it - but recently- because of the dreadful quality- I'll go hungry
(Thank God for the Louden)

My son & his mates - who are mostly English & are used to a much higher standard wouldn't dream of eating in the stadium & have often said Leyton Orient's catering wins hands down (subs, pizza slices, cornish pasties, jamaican patties)
Now I know LO have a much smaller customer base - but it could be argued they've also got much smaller resources as well

Right now - I'm embarrassed by our attempts at match day catering & the sooner we get improvement the better imo

In the overall scheme of things we've made enormous progress on so many levels recently & I'm grateful- I realise catering may be considered less important than certain issues- but I hope it's the next in line for a re-vamp

I’m sure the Elior deal was for 10 years and was signed in 13/14. It’s in the annual report.

I think outside the hospitality and restaurants they are quite poor (soda water with a bit of coke flavouring gets my goat) but Ibrox really isn’t set up for modern catering for the average punter outside hospitality. It’s pointless comparing our 40 year old stands to modern NFL, MLB, Bundesliga and Premier League grounds.

Obviously the issue with drinks can be fixed easy enough but we have barely any space in the ground for food prep, cooking and storage outside the hospitality areas. The kiosks themselves are very small. The facilities mean it is hard for any company to provide good food options for regular fans when it has to be trucked in elsewhere hours before a game and effectively stuck in a warmer. Improvements are there to be made but I wouldn’t expect it to become drastically better.

that’s why it should be things like Greggs or dominoes (like that lot have across the city and there shitehole must surely have the same issues) where the food can be made and prepped elsewhere and basically reheated at the ground . As you mentioned drinks are an easy fix

other instant improvement and biggest one for me personally is contactless . Means folk that don’t have cash at least have the option and will reduce queues as will be quicker than getting change.

yes we can’t expect hospitality level food at a kiosk but if burger vans outside can make better food with less space than Ibrox we shouldn’t accept the shite we get the now

wonder if it will remain open on non match days just for a meal

that’s why it should be things like Greggs or dominoes (like that lot have across the city and there shitehole must surely have the same issues) where the food can be made and prepped elsewhere and basically reheated at the ground . As you mentioned drinks are an easy fix

other instant improvement and biggest one for me personally is contactless . Means folk that don’t have cash at least have the option and will reduce queues as will be quicker than getting change.

yes we can’t expect hospitality level food at a kiosk but if burger vans outside can make better food with less space than Ibrox we shouldn’t accept the shite we get the now
Yep contactless would improve things immensely. I’ve only been to Parkhead three times for our games and wouldn’t give them a penny outside ticket and programme so not sure what their facilities are like for food etc.

Yep contactless would improve things immensely. I’ve only been to Parkhead three times for our games and wouldn’t give them a penny outside ticket and programme so not sure what their facilities are like for food etc.

of course I wouldn’t give them a penny either. I have a few mates that from that side and they talk of a dominoes kiosk in their stand

You’ve foreign kids with barely any English and wee lassies about 14 trying to cope with a mass of queues, it’s never going to work. The lassie that worked in EE could barley give out the right change despite it being on the screen in front of her. Yes it’s minimum wage but how the %^*& to do they find some of these people?

I stopped buying unless it’s desperation stages and every single time it’s a huge disappointmen.
The quality of staff is here or there but at least these kids are working on their weekends and trying to earn a bit of money when the majority of their peers are doing %^*& all. It’s no better or worse than the service you get in McDonalds or KFC in the town.

Not sure it’s minimum wage either. Rangers are a living wage employer and to get that cert I’m sure you have to ensure your contractors and temp staff even if employed by someone else are to being paid the living wage.

Back