Caught a bit of the filths game last night

The Gooner

What was very noticeable was the Austrian team closed down their players all over the park and never gave them time to settle. The golden boy Tierney was hoofing it forward and gave the ball away on countless occasions. Oh how I wish we would press them all over the park instead of sitting back making them think they are Barcelona.

Salzburg looked like a really good team.

Celtic looked shite. Especially first half.
Never saw first half but The Gooner is right. Celtic don't handle teams in their face well at all. Broonaldo came on and first thing he did was foul a guy twice in the same tackle.. not even a free kick. Not happy they got through but they are not unbeatable

i watched the full thing becasue i noticed in the first coupl eo fminutes how badly they were getting outplayed, salzburg were oustanding, celtic couldn't get out their own half

Absolutely spot on. We’ve all been saying it for ages. They can’t handle teams getting in their face.

We done it in the 3-2 game at Ibrox and for some reason when we took the lead we sat off and conceded then pressed them again and went 2-1 and sat off again and conceded again

Our midfield needs to sort itself out for that to happen.

We press well in the wide areas, but they play through our midfield so often it’s unreal.

And long term sorting the midfield is the next big step for this team moving forward.

I like all our midfielders, but we need a standout, like Alfredo is a standout. Easier said than done to acquire however.

Salzburg are one of the best sides in the tournament. Made the semis and narrowly lost out to Marseille last year, they are in with a good shout of winning it this year for sure.

What was very noticeable was the Austrian team closed down their players all over the park and never gave them time to settle. The golden boy Tierney was hoofing it forward and gave the ball away on countless occasions. Oh how I wish we would press them all over the park instead of sitting back making them think they are Barcelona.

I didn't see any of their game but this sounds just like the way Hearts have played against them in the last few matches at Tynecastle. Sick of us just turning up and letting them roll us over without anyone laying a glove on them, needs to change on the 29th.

Taking the game to the tims and pressing hard is the way to beat them in my opinion.i don't know what the points status will be come the 29th but we have to get the monkey off our backs and beat them,its a must.

This is the way any team that have got a result off of them have played, Hearts done it twice and the bits I saw of the game against Livi they were pressed. They don’t like people in their faces I’d like to think that the manager and his backroom team are well aware of this and intend to work this angle when we play them.

Wee bit of luck helped them.

We had absolutely none in Europe

They got a bit of luck, but ultimately they got three wins and we got one. There are certainly beatable on the 29th, but the Austrians are a very good side and have far more quality than we have.

Constantly pressing them in packs is the biggest single factor that fecks up their whole game plan.

We simply can't allow them to stroll up to our penalty area unchallenged.This has to change and I think our manager knows this only too well.

I'm hoping for an early breakthrough on the 29th and see how they react under real pressure.

That Salzburg team are CL class and could go a long way in that comp, yes they made the manks look ordinary but guess what the f uckers got through and more $ in the coffers, just what we need

Salzburg are a top quality team, thats why they made it look easy.

We can only dream of one day having a team like Salzburgs.

Salzburg were a really good team and pressed them all over the pitch

First half the scum were so lucky. Could have been 4 or 5 down

Salzburg players were very quick and never gave them time to play the ball about.

On the 29th, we should be up and at them,in their faces, Give them zero respect.
Unlike just sitting back, afraid, and letting them pass the ball all over the park.

Saw that too, impressive side. What’s happened to our high tempo pressing game? Last time I think I saw it was the 1st half against Hearts at Ibrox. Maybe the 7-1 v Motherwell but they collapsed after going to 10. Why are we no longer starting games like that, killing it off before seeing the game out?

this is the way Hearts play against them, and look at their home results.

for some reason we give them the ball and let them play. inviting them onto us

They got a bit of luck, but ultimately they got three wins and we got one. There are certainly beatable on the 29th, but the Austrians are a very good side and have far more quality than we have.

That wee bit of luck would have gotten us three wins though.

I know we missed our own opportunities to better a couple of our results but Morelos' goal being disallowed in Moscow and Candeias' red card against Villareal have cast a large shadow over our campaign.

That wee bit of luck would have gotten us three wins though.

I know we missed our own opportunities to better a couple of our results but Morelos' goal being disallowed in Moscow and Candeias' red card against Villareal have cast a large shadow over our campaign.

Yeah, if they say these things even themselves up over a season, we are in for one heck of run of good luck.

We will get a result against them this season. Law of averages if nothing else.

Until this team do, they'll never have the belief that we can win this league and reach 55.

And yet they progress in a far more difficult group than ours .

We really need to thump them on the 29th , we can’t afford another loss

Hardly far more difficult.

They started off with a guaranteed 6 points from Rosenborg so only had to win 1 of 4 games to qualify ultimately.

I'd take those odds over our group where everyone could take points off each other.

I wouldn’t say their group was harder.

They had a clear favourite, a whipping boy in Rosenborg and a Leipzig team who weren’t taking the competition seriously with a lot of changes and their star man Werner only starting one game.

It’s sometimes easier to have that so it’s a two horse race for second - our group was the tightest in the competition up until the 80th minute last night.

Hardly far more difficult.

They started off with a guaranteed 6 points from Rosenborg so only had to win 1 of 4 games to qualify ultimately.

I'd take those odds over our group where everyone could take points off each other.
so did everyone else in the group using your logic

Not sure how much Salzburg are spending on bringing those players in.

But we should be trying to target the market in which they are looking at.

They looked a top side without any well known names tbh.

And yet they progress in a far more difficult group than ours .

We really need to thump them on the 29th , we can’t afford another loss

It wasn't a far more difficult group than ours at all. Rosenburg are diddies and all that was required was to beat them and get one result from 4 against the Red Bull sides. Leipzig drawing last night was a freak result.

I don't think for 1 second anyone looked at both groups at the draw and thought they had the harder group, thats nonsense.

Anyone who thinks the answer is that simple doesn't know much about football.
Salsburg have the quality players to do this. It would be very risky against them.

Our group was a good bit tougher. Long haul trips to Moscow (who were in CL last season), a cow field in Vienna and a massive name in Villareal.

They had proper pub team in Rosenborg, Leipzig who aren't any good and couldn't care less about the Europa, and Salzburg who will be shown up in later rounds for the easy group they had.

poets had a very easy run as usual, I'm praying their luck runs out and they draw Arsenal in the 32.

Not sure how much Salzburg are spending on bringing those players in.

But we should be trying to target the market in which they are looking at.

They looked a top side without any well known names tbh.
Was wondering that myself?
Are Red Bull pumping millions in for them to spend or is it a really good scouting system and a cracking coach?
They seem untouchable domestically.

Salzburg’s annual budget is 40 million euros. Not much more than ours. That is the level we should be aiming to get to. They schooled the Tim’s over two legs. Battered them home and away. They won every group match in the Europa League and are sitting top of there league. Very very impressive outfit. They should be the bench mark for us.

Our group was a good bit tougher. Long haul trips to Moscow (who were in CL last season), a cow field in Vienna and a massive name in Villareal.

They had proper pub team in Rosenborg, Leipzig who aren't any good and couldn't care less about the Europa, and Salzburg who will be shown up in later rounds for the easy group they had.

poets had a very easy run as usual, I'm praying their luck runs out and they draw Arsenal in the 32.

What a lazy comment; Salzburg got to the semis last year, they're no mugs. They had to beat Sociedad, Dortmund and Lazio to get there, and took Marseille to extra time in the semifinal.

Why oh why would you watch that shite
I never stumble across there games in Europe, I make a point of watching them and to be honest it's been highly entertaining the last few seasons seeing them get absolutely roasted on many a night. It's great to watch them being brought right down to earth after lauding about in our league where they actually believe that they are a good team.
Last night could easily have been another PSG / Barcelona type gubbing. All these teams press them hard with undoubted skill of course and it's the only way we must play at Ibrox with 50,000 bears behind them to finally get the monkey of our back.

Salzburg will go far in that tournament. The speed of their passing, their ability to close down players and their general energy made them very dangerous.

They could have scored 5 or 6.

Back