Caught a bit of the filths game last night

What was very noticeable was the Austrian team closed down their players all over the park and never gave them time to settle. The golden boy Tierney was hoofing it forward and gave the ball away on countless occasions. Oh how I wish we would press them all over the park instead of sitting back making them think they are Barcelona.
Salzburg have much better players than us though. That's the difference.

Never saw first half but The Gooner is right. Celtic don't handle teams in their face well at all. Broonaldo came on and first thing he did was foul a guy twice in the same tackle.. not even a free kick. Not happy they got through but they are not unbeatable
It's about time we got in their faces,the last few games we haven't turned up,we came close to it in the 3-2 game at Ibrox. As people have said sitting off them makes them look better than they are.

And yet they progress in a far more difficult group than ours .

We really need to thump them on the 29th , we can’t afford another loss

Far more difficult group? Im not having that.

Their group had the whipping boys of the group stages in it and a german side playing a reserve side most games.....

It's about time we got in their faces,the last few games we haven't turned up,we came close to it in the 3-2 game at Ibrox. As people have said sitting off them makes them look better than they are.
Absolutely, last few years we've not laid a glove on them. Time for that to change

Amazing how many folk stumble across watching the fiddlers isn’t it? If you want to watch them, watch them FFS.
I usually watch them until they score first cos when they do they usually win. Can't be arsed pretending I stumble across them & not fussed if that makes me unpopular. Saying that id watch pretty much any game that's live from anywhere

Anyone who thinks the answer is that simple doesn't know much about football.
Salsburg have the quality players to do this. It would be very risky against them.

Absolute rubbish. Hearts don’t have quality players, high intensity pressing killed the tims on more than one occasion now. Any domestic game where they’ve dropped points has been the result of teams getting on top of them. They certainly haven’t had better quality players.

Absolute rubbish. Hearts don’t have quality players, high intensity pressing killed the tims on more than one occasion now. Any domestic game where they’ve dropped points has been the result of teams getting on top of them. They certainly haven’t had better quality players.
is that why the scum beat them 5 zip, give it a rest, we dont have the quality to do it, bloody suicide if you ask me, their midfield will walk through ours

Unfortunately we have known this since last year, as we witnessed Hearts scud them 4-0 using those tactics. We just never seem to want to, or be able to for some reason, which is very frustrating to say the least.

They can't handle being put under pressure, but give them time on the ball by standing off them and they will hurt you.

And yet they progress in a far more difficult group than ours .

We really need to thump them on the 29th , we can’t afford another loss

Their group was not more difficult at all, Rosenborg are horrendous Leipzig aren’t anything special either. I know it obviously counts for nothing but we won or head to heads with villareal and rapid, losing only to Spartak. They beat Rosenborg over two games but lost their head to heads with both red bull sides.

Why oh why would you watch that shite
I watched a bit of it in the pub after our game finished and I watched the rest of the game in the house , normally I wouldn't watch them but as I say it was on in the pub and they were being totally outclassed so I watched the rest in the house and they continued to be outclassed , frankly the scoreline flatters them and it made for good viewing

I usually watch them until they score first cos when they do they usually win. Can't be arsed pretending I stumble across them & not fussed if that makes me unpopular. Saying that id watch pretty much any game that's live from anywhere

Which is fair enough mate and your choice. I would turn them on if I knew they were getting beat but never choose to sit and watch them. That doesn’t make me any more staunch than anyone else, just my choice.

Folk that ‘seen the Record on the bus over someone’s shoulder’ or the Sun ‘at the barbers’ are much the same. No you didn’t, you bought the fûcking thing out of choice, get on with it.

Their group had the whipping boys of the group stages in it and a german side playing a reserve side most games.....
Was just about to say the same. Leipzig had no interest in this. Their stadium was empty last night. Rosenberg are absolutely gash

is that why the scum beat them 5 zip, give it a rest, we dont have the quality to do it, bloody suicide if you ask me, their midfield will walk through ours

No, it’s why Hearts have beaten them 4-0 and 1-0 at Tynecastle in the last 12 months.

I will give it a rest from you, you’re an absolute throbber, hell bent on picking fights everywhere, no matter how wrong you are.

Ignored.

we shit the bed too often and dont win high pressure games.
It's a mental block, we need to start winning them.

We are beat in the tunnel most times we play celtic these days. embarassing. We simply are unable to get in their faces or press them

No, it’s why Hearts have beaten them 4-0 and 1-0 at Tynecastle in the last 12 months.

I will give it a rest from you, you’re an absolute throbber, hell bent on picking fights everywhere, no matter how wrong you are.

Ignored.
did i upset you petal sorry for disagreeing with you

Whilst I welcome the sentiment, unfortunately WE are not Salzburg, who topped their Group with a maximum 18 points out of 18. They have the structure, talent and ability to play that fast-paced, high pressing game and know how to utilise the ball well, once they've regained possession. We are a long way off that standard of football.

Rosenberg looked poor but that group is 3 league winners and a top 4 BL side.

I've enjoyed our campaign but every other club in our group sacked their manager during it. They clearly had a tougher group.

Regardless, it's done. Hopefully we can take advantage if any fixture pile up they have given the winter break etc.

Whilst I welcome the sentiment, unfortunately WE are not Salzburg, who topped their Group with a maximum 18 points out of 18. They have the structure, talent and ability to play that fast-paced, high pressing game and know how to utilise the ball well, once they've regained possession. We are a long way off that standard of football.

Correct.

If the quick tempo, high pressing game was that simple then everyone would do it against the filth.

It works very well against that mob when it is executed properly, but having the players to successfully do it is another matter.

What was very noticeable was the Austrian team closed down their players all over the park and never gave them time to settle. The golden boy Tierney was hoofing it forward and gave the ball away on countless occasions. Oh how I wish we would press them all over the park instead of sitting back making them think they are Barcelona.

I’ve been saying this for years.

Closing down the opposition is a golden rule in football. You rarely see teams lose out by doing this. People worry about fitness and their players’ ability to press all game. The solution is to train harder and get fitter. They’re professionals, that’s what they’re paid to do.

Look at the second goal they conceded last night. Their player got in Craig Gordon’s face and managed to intercept the ball and stuck it into the back of the net.

One thing you must never do is allow the opposition to sit with the ball and pass it easily.

Hardly far more difficult.

They started off with a guaranteed 6 points from Rosenborg so only had to win 1 of 4 games to qualify ultimately.

I'd take those odds over our group where everyone could take points off each other.

Well so did the other two red bull teams then surely ?

Both red bull teams were better than Vienna and Spartak .

You know we will sit back and hide up our own arses.

The winners will be a champions league side who drop into the Europa league.

Teams that are flying just now might not be the same threat come March. I thought Lyon looked a slick outfit v Man City and would be one to avoid in the C L but its a big gap between group games and knockout

Not upset, just have absolutely no time for ignorant people like you.

Don’t think science will be requiring your brain anytime soon, Mikey.
ignorant definition "lacking awareness or knowledge" better not tell my employees those f uckers dont need any excuses

And yet most folk on here are saying Salzburg are CL quality . Both red bull teams are far superior to Spartak and Vienna .

Their group was not more difficult at all, Rosenborg are horrendous Leipzig aren’t anything special either. I know it obviously counts for nothing but we won or head to heads with villareal and rapid, losing only to Spartak. They beat Rosenborg over two games but lost their head to heads with both red bull sides.

You think we would beat Leipzig ?

They’re better than Spartak and Vienna

You think we would beat Leipzig ?

They’re better than Spartak and Vienna

The teams they were putting out in the Europa league, aye maybe.

Put it this way Spartak and Vienna would have beat Rosonborg at home. That's all Liepzig had to do to knock Celtic out, they weren't a good team in Europe.

They were put out by Red Star Belgrade this year, they never make any impact in the champ league, can't even remember them playing in the group stage

Almost got to the EL final last year if not for a dodgy corner in the last minute against Marseille.
They are a class above many other teams in the tournament.

Sorry but don’t agree, wouldn’t waste my time watching them
i dont get this, Im a huge broncos fan and watch every other game because i love the sport, so i shouldn't watch other teams play because why?

Was there a wonderful show with the Christmas disco lights accompanied by harmonious carol singing and expansive goodwill towards all mankind?

Thought not!

Salzburg’s annual budget is 40 million euros. Not much more than ours. That is the level we should be aiming to get to. They schooled the Tim’s over two legs. Battered them home and away. They won every group match in the Europa League and are sitting top of there league. Very very impressive outfit. They should be the bench mark for us.

Where did you find their annual budget mate?

I had a look last night, because I thought they were very impressive, but couldn't find it.

Our midfield needs to sort itself out for that to happen.

We press well in the wide areas, but they play through our midfield so often it’s unreal.

And long term sorting the midfield is the next big step for this team moving forward.

I like all our midfielders, but we need a standout, like Alfredo is a standout. Easier said than done to acquire however.

I must admit, I don’t really rate any of our midfielders, arfield aside we need better in there.

OP is spot on. It is hard to play against a team who press constantly and play at a very high tempo. That Salzburg team looked excellant.

What the OP seems to miss is that to play like that you need top class and technically great players with loads of energy and high fitness standards.
We don't have that unfortunately.

OP is spot on. It is hard to play against a team who press constantly and play at a very high tempo. That Salzburg team looked excellant.

What the OP seems to miss is that to play like that you need top class and technically great players with loads of energy and high fitness standards.
We don't have that unfortunately.
no we dont, its all well and good pressing but if you cant use the ball constructively when you get it, it curtains

There has only ever been one way to beat Celtic (unless you have equal to or above Walter level of defence; see AEK in qualifier); attack them. 95% of the time managers get it wrong especially going to the field of screams. Clarke was the latest on Saturday, good side winning by playing an attacking 4-4-2 got changed to a defensive 4-5-1, sat back and were ransacked. Salzburg attacked, took the game to them and as ever their defence simply couldn't cope.

Which is fair enough mate and your choice. I would turn them on if I knew they were getting beat but never choose to sit and watch them. That doesn’t make me any more staunch than anyone else, just my choice.

Folk that ‘seen the Record on the bus over someone’s shoulder’ or the Sun ‘at the barbers’ are much the same. No you didn’t, you bought the fûcking thing out of choice, get on with it.
Agree with you about the 'someone showed me ' people. I don't buy any papers, no need to cos they are usually quoted here anyway.

Back