CB + Kent and we're done

One of them is prone to getting suspended and the other is closer to 40 than 30. We need 3 strikers we can rely on, the Sadiq show against the sheep proved that.
I’d like to see one of the young lads like McPake get some first team games this season. Stewart can also play as a striker if required. What money we have should be invested in a cb.

Ideally if like us to sign an experienced cb in their late 20s early 30s.
Kent back on loan for the season.
A striker preferabley a target man who's got a great header on them for games against teams who play with all 11 men inside their box or a jelavic type who's strong and has that wee bit extra class to best a man or create goals for himself similar to what Alfie does. That lad koljic that keeps getting mentioned looks like he be a good fit for us and we would need to move now for him before a club who can offer more money than us takes a punt on him.
I hope the scouting team are aware of strikers like him who are ready to make the jump to a club like ours but won't cost us a fortune.

Does anyone else feel that we are only 2 more signings away from finishing our incoming business?

We currently have 3 CB's and Gerrard is previously on record as saying he wants 4. McCrorie is capable but I don't think Gerrard fancies him there and I half expect him to be loaned out. That leaves space for another. Preferably a left footed one.

We obviously want Kent but given we've brought in Jones, Hastie, Ojo and Stewart as well as the returning Murphy I don't think we'll look for another attacker if Kent falls through.

Bring 2 more in, keep Tav and Morelos and we're good to go!

Quite entitled to your own opinion but that is not what Gerrard said yesterday.
With headlines like this you could write for the Evening Times!

Still think left back could be our achilles heal this season if we don't strengthen there. Barisic might come good but we need someone who will be serious competition for the starting Jersey, if we don't it might bite us in the arse come the end of the season

Nope, we still need more quality.

If we think we can get away with not properly improving the first 11 & taking it up levels, then we’ll regret it, big time.

The CB has to be of a similar quality to Goldson - that would be well worth another £3m or so.

Besides Kent, I still think we need a rock solid young left back to at least challenge for that spot, an attacking mid that can rifle a shot from the edge of the box/play passes to open up defences, and an goalscoring attacker than can play in a narrow 4-3-3 or fill in up front if needed.

If we get those positions sorted, the squad is probably in the best nick it's been since 2011 odd.

We need to move the players surplus to requirements on before we bring anyone else in ,once they move then I think we will add the quality Gerrard spoke of in the spring or at least I hope that's what will happen .

I think a third striker to take the place of Lafferty is actually something of a priority now, and that’s on the assumption Morelos stays.

If he leaves, we’ll need another first choice striker to replace him.

I think we’ll then add a fourth centre back on loan to replace McAuley, but Kent returning I’m actually fairly ambivalent about now - I’ve no idea where we’re going to play all these wingers.

Definitely another striker, got a feeling if Morelos goes it’ll be near the end of the window. So I would be happy to get one in sooner rather than later. Probably being greedy but a LB and another CB must be a priority aswell.

Do we not have the World cup runners up left back in our squad?
If Barisic comes good then we have that problem solved. I’m happy enough to go with Flanagan there if Barisic unavailable. He showed towards the end of the season that he’s got himself in a lot better shape and performed well.

If Barisic comes good then we have that problem solved. I’m happy enough to go with Flanagan there if Barisic unavailable. He showed towards the end of the season that he’s got himself in a lot better shape and performed well.
He showed he is not good enough to be our first choice.

I suspect we’re going to see how Barisic looks after Julys games, then make a decision on him. Can’t go in to the season with a bang average LB.

I think a third striker to take the place of Lafferty is actually something of a priority now, and that’s on the assumption Morelos stays.

If he leaves, we’ll need another first choice striker to replace him.

I think we’ll then add a fourth centre back on loan to replace McAuley, but Kent returning I’m actually fairly ambivalent about now - I’ve no idea where we’re going to play all these wingers.

I think Greg Stewart will be the 3rd choice striker. Murphy can also fill in there as well. We don't play with 2 up front so we should be fine with 2 out and out strikers and a couple of guys who can also play there in an emergency, supplemented by youth.

Kent and a CB and we will be done. We will have a squad of about 38 players once Kent, Aribo and a CB are signed. Any other incomings will be dependent on guys like Morelos and Barisic leaving imo.

We can all debate whether what we have is enough now to go and actually challenge/win the league but that's a different debate altogether. We literally have no room for any other players once the rumoured 3 targets come on board. We have the biggest first team squad in living memory at the moment.

If Lafferty goes we will need another goal threat. If Morelos and Lafferty go we will need two. Squad is not far away but I think 4 more (inclusive of Kent if he returns).

I’d like to see one of the young lads like McPake get some first team games this season. Stewart can also play as a striker if required. What money we have should be invested in a cb.

The game with Sadiq starting against the sheep was the only time over the course of the entire season when our third choice striker started a game. There is no way we are bringing in a third striker of quality unless there are assurances about game time and personally I think that brings it's own issues as rotation of strikers does not work.

I'd be happy to go with Rudden and Hardie fighting it out to be third choice as they are only likely to get the odd sub appearance here and there.

W
I think Greg Stewart will be the 3rd choice striker. Murphy can also fill in there as well. We don't play with 2 up front so we should be fine with 2 out and out strikers and a couple of guys who can also play there in an emergency, supplemented by youth.

Kent and a CB and we will be done. We will have a squad of about 38 players once Kent, Aribo and a CB are signed. Any other incomings will be dependent on guys like Morelos and Barisic leaving imo.

We can all debate whether what we have is enough now to go and actually challenge/win the league but that's a different debate altogether. We literally have no room for any other players once the rumoured 3 targets come on board. We have the biggest first team squad in living memory at the moment.
Shouldn’t come in to it. Bad squad management by having it overloaded with average players should not be stopping us bringing in quality.

Centre back, left back, Aribo, Kent, another striker and that will be us I think.

I don’t see us sign a Left Back unless Barisic leaves we have Halliday and Flanagan for cover. CB agree. Striker agree. I just think something other than Ojo and Aribo are what you would consider marquee are it. EPL teams haven’t begun their pre season process, I think Gerrard is waiting on something. Just a gut feeling.

W

Shouldn’t come in to it. Bad squad management by having it overloaded with average players should not be stopping us bringing in quality.

Agree that we have a hell of a lot of deadwood. A lot of it is legacy stuff that Gerrard inherited though as well, so it can't solely be blamed on him.

Whether we have brought in enough quality is the part that is up for debate. People will have differing opinions on that. Gerrard said only yesterday he's really happy with the players he's brought in and they have all added quality to the squad and have us in a far better place than last season.

I think a lot depends on Morelos going from here. And even if he does go in a few weeks and we get a big fee for him, where's the space to bring in another 3/4 players? It doesn't exist. I would expect us to go for an EPL loan if Morelos goes and invest in wages for a season.

Do we not have the World cup runners up left back in our squad?

Barisic played no part in the World Cup, so using that as something to big him up is frankly ridiculous.

It remains to be seen if he has the mentality to cut it at a big club as ours. There are major doubts.

At this stage Flanagan is the more reliable option.

Barasic will be the man.
SG I trust

Has something dramatic happened to Borna Barasic in the close season for everyone to all of a sudden be hailing “ he’s the man “ and “ we don’t need a left back “ ?

The guy was an unmitigated disaster last year . The short memories of the very fans who were on here moaning and enraged at his performances seems almost surreal .

My question is what has changed ? I already know the answer - nothing .

We do need a quality proven left back and anyone who says otherwise is sticking their heads firmly in the sand . It seems the new narrative is “ but he’s a World Cup finalist , he’s knuckling down , plus anyway we have Halliday “ :rolleyes:

Let me just confirm that last season we played Aberdeen 7 times . We won twice . Kilmarnock 7 times. We won 3 times .

Positivity is fine but a sense of reality needs put into proceedings here .

We haven’t improved our first 11 from last season so far , I think we will , and left back is a position that simply must be improved .

I like Morelos but the refs are out to book him for the slighest thing. Thats the problem, he's a good player but the referees want him off asap, the referees want to see Rangers beat although they still have to be as non biased as possible.

Some of the refereeing performances last season, especially at Ibrox, were disgraceful where they know they can infuriate 50,000 Rangers fans and theres nothing we can do about it.
Alfie was the victim of a slightly xenophobic media narrative that influenced officials, but here is the harsh truth last season he was his own worst enemy and did himself so much unnecessary harm. I hope we keep him and that he grows up. If he does the media circus will move on and find a new target demonise as the leagues bad boy. Hopefully for once it won't be a Rangers player. Keep Alfie, let him score 30 goals, win 55 and sell him for £30m.

I tried a thread like this last week, but was accused of being a bed-wetter, but OP is not far off the mark ! :) I reckon we will end up with a squad of circa-25 players.

Kent is obviously on the radar and SG really wants him back on loan. I think this could result in Murphy being given a 6-month loan to get him back match-fit, after all the recent wide player additions.

LB - In my opinion, jury is still out on Barisic, and I think SG will be watching this one with interest. Flanagan and Halliday can both deputise, but the summer training and games will prove whether or not Barisic is in the long term plans. If not, I expect him to be sold and replaced with a new first choice LB.

CB - Fully expect another CB in for the squad, as the OP says, preferably a left sider.

Striker - I think this is one that could go to deadline day, with an expected saga with Morelos in August. Even if Morelos stays, I reckon SG will be in the market for another quality loan striker. No point improving all over the field and then falling short in the Striker position and ending up in the Aberdeen SF shambles situation again with no strikers.

That would leave the following:

Squad

McGregor
Fodergham
Firth
Tavernier
Flanagan
Goldson
Katic
Edmondson
CB - ??
Halliday
Jack
Arfield
Aribo
Kamara
Davis
Kent - ??
Hastie
Jones
Murphy - (possibly loan out for fitness)
Hastie
Candeias
Ojo
Morelos
Defoe
Stewart
Striker- ??

Loans out:

Docherty
McCrorie
Middleton
McCrorie (GK)
Hardie
Murphy (possible for fitness)

Exiting:

Alnwick
Rossiter
Dorrans
Lafferty
Herrera
Dodoo
Holt
Grezda

He showed he is not good enough to be our first choice.

I suspect we’re going to see how Barisic looks after Julys games, then make a decision on him. Can’t go in to the season with a bang average LB.

He picks up another knock or fails to find form like the majority of last season and his career to date and we are back to Flanagan or Halliday at left back. That's a big gamble.

Quality over quantity. Whilst there is still time in the transfer window, to date we have not improved the first team. The squad now has more options but we still lack the quality our manager talked about.

LB
CB
Kent
Replacement for Lafferty.

The LB and CB should be the two positions where the players in question are of a better quality to what we have and come in with a view to improving the first 11.

We can't keep on signing numbers and expecting a step up in quality.

Reactions: MSF
Barisic played no part in the World Cup, so using that as something to big him up is frankly ridiculous.

It remains to be seen if he has the mentality to cut it at a big club as ours. There are major doubts.

At this stage Flanagan is the more reliable option.
If you say so.
Last summer a team got to the World Cup final. 12 months later their coach doesn't feel they have a better left back than Borna Barisic.
Ridiculous are people like you and others above with patter such as not good enough, average etc.
That and putting him down because it has took him more than 10 minutes to get used to playing on a surface akin to my grannies auld carpet, or the fact he's a football player been thrown into what plays like an MMA league.

Before you use words like ridiculous you should probably have a think about the message you are sending out.
One of knowing better than our manager and the coach of the Croatian national team.
That's just plain stupid.

Before you use words like ridiculous you should probably have a think about the message you are sending out.
One of knowing better than our manager and the coach of the Croatian national team.
That's just plain stupid.

The same Steven Gerrard who barely played the guy 2nd half of the season even when he was fit?

the same Steven Gerrard who voiced his concerns on numerous occasions about the performance/mentality of the player?

Keep going on about the Croatia national team all you want, it doesn't mean a thing. We are Rangers not Croatia.

They are blessed with a few world class players in key positions. Barisic is certainly not one of them.

Just because they have Modric, Mandzukic etc that doesn't mean they are stacked with quality left backs.

Can you name the other left backs in competition with Barisic ? Which elite clubs are they playing for ?

Croatia has less of a population than Scotland. Think about that. Maybe they just don't have very good left backs?

Barisic has had two big moves in his career. He initially moved from Osijek to Dinamo Zagreb. He failed with them and was back at Osijek within a year.

if he doesn't buck up his ideas with us he'll be back at Osijek again.

If no other players where to leave and we got Kent we would still need a striker(to replace Lafferty) and another c.b.
Left back is up for debate it all depends on if Barisic comes onto a game.

The same Steven Gerrard who barely played the guy 2nd half of the season even when he was fit?

the same Steven Gerrard who voiced his concerns on numerous occasions about the performance/mentality of the player?

Keep going on about the Croatia national team all you want, it doesn't mean a thing. We are Rangers not Croatia.

They are blessed with a few world class players in key positions. Barisic is certainly not one of them.

Just because they have Modric, Mandzukic etc that doesn't mean they are stacked with quality left backs.

Can you name the other left backs in competition with Barisic ? Which elite clubs are they playing for ?

Croatia has less of a population than Scotland. Think about that. Maybe they just don't have very good left backs?

Barisic has had two big moves in his career. He initially moved from Osijek to Dinamo Zagreb. He failed with them and was back at Osijek within a year.

if he doesn't buck up his ideas with us he'll be back at Osijek again.
Ridiculous.

We don’t need Kent.

We should be playing the 4-3-2-1 and we currently have Arfield, Murphy, Ojo, Stewart and Hastie competing for those spots. The cost in terms of loan fee and wages are not worth it in the context of those other players.

Agree that we have a hell of a lot of deadwood. A lot of it is legacy stuff that Gerrard inherited though as well, so it can't solely be blamed on him.

Whether we have brought in enough quality is the part that is up for debate. People will have differing opinions on that. Gerrard said only yesterday he's really happy with the players he's brought in and they have all added quality to the squad and have us in a far better place than last season.

I think a lot depends on Morelos going from here. And even if he does go in a few weeks and we get a big fee for him, where's the space to bring in another 3/4 players? It doesn't exist. I would expect us to go for an EPL loan if Morelos goes and invest in wages for a season.
True but thats also where Allen needs to earn his keep. He has been here during Pedro, Murty & Gerrard, whilst the squad becomes more and more bloated with average players.

This is why I’m in favour of the likes of Rossiter leaving, despite being a fan, theres no time for sentiment or “he could become a player” when the squad is this large. Manager needs to be ruthless & trim this squad down, we could save a really large amount of wages.

I said the same thing regarding space, when folk are adamant that we’d bring in lots of players and keep saying “its only early days”. There is literally no space for new players bar a couple of positions.

That would be insane to replace Morelos with an EPL loan I think. Defoe, Kent, Ojo & another ST on loan? Would leave us with another important, costly rebuilding job next season.

Think we definitely need another striker. Only an injury to Defoe away from having no cover for Alfredo or option on bench

There's a lot of cruft needing trimmed from the squad, namely Rossiter, Lafferty, Dorrans and most likely Grezda too. If we can shift these guys on some for nominal fees too then we'll be looking at a stronger squad.

Back