CB + Kent and we're done

True but thats also where Allen needs to earn his keep. He has been here during Pedro, Murty & Gerrard, whilst the squad becomes more and more bloated with average players.

This is why I’m in favour of the likes of Rossiter leaving, despite being a fan, theres no time for sentiment or “he could become a player” when the squad is this large. Manager needs to be ruthless & trim this squad down, we could save a really large amount of wages.

I said the same thing regarding space, when folk are adamant that we’d bring in lots of players and keep saying “its only early days”. There is literally no space for new players bar a couple of positions.

That would be insane to replace Morelos with an EPL loan I think. Defoe, Kent, Ojo & another ST on loan? Would leave us with another important, costly rebuilding job next season.

The reason I think we would look to an EPL loan to replace Morelos is because we literally have no space to use all the funds and bring in 3/4 players. So we aren't going to go out and spend the guts of 10m on one player to replace Morelos. I could see us banking the Morelos cash, pushing the boat out on wages for a season on an EPL loan.

We would then have some funds to go into the market in January if need be.

Win the title? You potentially access that 30m CL dough, still have cash left over from Morelos leaving and we are literally debt free now as well after the debt to equity deal going through. We would be in an unbelievable financial position.

All hypothetical of course and a bit of a wish list :D But entirely plausible imo.

Need a first pick centre back and Kent, and we’re done.

Would feel much safer with Katic, Goldson and another all capable of controlling the back line. Edmundson won’t see much game time just yet.

Get a left back if Barisic leaves. You saw how pointless Lee Wallace was, another one would be the same.

Not much need for a third pick striker when we have Stewart, Rudden, and Murphy.
^ Exactly this,at least until Alfie goes which I reckon he will then we need to be ready to move for his replacement.

The squad is looking undeniably stronger though.

We've got more than enough for our first competitive game, so no rush or panic buys necessary. I'm sure Gerrard said last season he wanted 3/4 transfers to improve us this summer and it was quality over quantity. I'm sure we all read that as first teamers...so Ojo and Aribo thus far? Another year of Kent and a top level CH and we're off and running! Quality and quantity!

Reactions: cav
The game with Sadiq starting against the sheep was the only time over the course of the entire season when our third choice striker started a game. There is no way we are bringing in a third striker of quality unless there are assurances about game time and personally I think that brings it's own issues as rotation of strikers does not work.

I'd be happy to go with Rudden and Hardie fighting it out to be third choice as they are only likely to get the odd sub appearance here and there.
Did hardie and rudden travel to the Portugal camp?

Neither did. Rudden is injured I believe and I think Hardie is probably going on loan.
Fwiw I’d put Rudden as third choice striker this season to learn from Defoe and see if he can progress in that way after a successful loan last season.
Hardie just won’t be able to get to the level we require I’m afraid,I hope the lad can relaunch his career elsewhere.

Alfie(or his replacement if he goes),Defoe And Rudden with Stewart and hopefully Kent as false nine options would give plenty of different choices for us.

I don’t see us sign a Left Back unless Barisic leaves we have Halliday and Flanagan for cover. CB agree. Striker agree. I just think something other than Ojo and Aribo are what you would consider marquee are it. EPL teams haven’t begun their pre season process, I think Gerrard is waiting on something. Just a gut feeling.
Everyone always talks about this at this time of year. We see what is available after EPL finalises their squads.

Can't remember the last summer window we brought in a loan deal from the EPL. Plus their window shuts start of August this year I think?

We brought Worral from Forrest. Defoe and Davis were January recruits but both joined because of links to either the manager or playing previously for the club. Don't see lots of options like that in EPL atm.

Reactions: MSF
Barisic will be like a new signing this season.

The guy was in his 1st season in a new country and obviously struggled to adjust.

Anyone who questions his ability should be watching woman’s football.

I’ll judge him on how he performs through pre season and the start he makes to the season.

Everyone always talks about this at this time of year. We see what is available after EPL finalises their squads.

Can't remember the last summer window we brought in a loan deal from the EPL. Plus their window shuts start of August this year I think?

We brought Worral from Forrest. Defoe and Davis were January recruits but both joined because of links to either the manager or playing previously for the club. Don't see lots of options like that in EPL atm.

January is supposed to be the more difficult window and we brought in Defoe and Davis so that makes absolutely no sense, plenty of good players sitting waiting for football haha!

I would still like us to bring in a powerful, tall striker to give us a different option from what we currently have, We put some amount of great balls into the box yet we still don't have a striker who is a real threat in the air, especially against those teams that will sit in. We need to be able to mix it up imho.

January is supposed to be the more difficult window and we brought in Defoe and Davis so that makes absolutely no sense, plenty of good players sitting waiting for football haha!
Oduwa, Ball, Hyndman, Zelalem, Toral good you mean?

Davis and Defoe are special cases. Twilight of their career and consumate pros.

There isn't "plenty" of them "sitting waiting".

Could you give an example of one?

I think you're underestimating the pull of our manager in all honesty.

We 100% enquired about Gray a few weeks ago, the player was keen to come but we couldn't afford the wages. We could move back in if Morelos goes and be in a position to offer him more wages.

We badly need 1 if not 2 strikers, it’s the one area it’s really quiet on which is strange imo, last year we ended up with Sadiq in a semi final as 2 strikers were unavailable

Our squad will obviously be shaped by what happens with a Tav and Alfie, 2 players we don’t want to lose, if they are going we need it to be done quickly to enable us to move forward

2 strikers, centre half a left back still need to be brought in I think

I think you're underestimating the pull of our manager in all honesty.

We 100% enquired about Gray a few weeks ago, the player was keen to come but we couldn't afford the wages. We could move back in if Morelos goes and be in a position to offer him more wages.
Sell our best player and top goalscorer to bring in a player on loan who may not adapt to the league?

Not progress in my opinion.

Yes, I said I expected us to start next season with the team who started against Celtic and a couple of zoomers lost their shit.

I still wouldn't be shocked if we did start with that team as such and Aribo was eased in and Morelos starting next season from the bench

I really don't understand why some people on here can't separate a change in circumstance and situation.

Aye but a thing once happened so it should always then apply - it's just mad logic.

It is a bit like last year when some spoke about us as a football side like we were still the same team who had been managed by Murty and Pedro.

Short-termism. I agree with another poster selling Morelos, at this point, to secure a loan deal for his replacement is bonkers.

Surely if Morelos was sold it would be longtermism?

15/18 million for a player signed for 600k is like a EuroMillions win to the football club

Short-termism. I agree with another poster selling Morelos, at this point, to secure a loan deal for his replacement is bonkers.

What would be bonkers is going out and making a panic buy just for the sake of it to replace him. Like we done with Grezda when Murphy got injured.

I think we’ll spend big on a ball playing centre half.
That and Kent back with a young third choice striker and we’ll bring home the title.

I think we have a squad capable of winning the league. Where we may struggle is in depth in CB and upfront if we get an extended European run. I think we’ll stick with what we have and if end of August we’re still in with a shout of a good run in Europe we may strengthen then. At that point the Premier League window will be closed and we will know who may be available in England

He showed he is not good enough to be our first choice.

I suspect we’re going to see how Barisic looks after Julys games, then make a decision on him. Can’t go in to the season with a bang average LB.
Maybe at the start of the season but he more than done enough when he came back in for the last 6 odd games and showed he can be of good value to the team.

need two strikers who can rattle them in against every team as we make the chances yet don't.
take enough of them.
We’ve got two of them. The two best strikers in Scotland! If Alfie screws his head on he could be a 40 goal a season man and Defoe is still an incredible player to have as a backup. There are EPL teams that don’t have that quality up front

Oduwa, Ball, Hyndman, Zelalem, Toral good you mean?

Davis and Defoe are special cases. Twilight of their career and consumate pros.

There isn't "plenty" of them "sitting waiting".

Could you give an example of one?

Well we also found Murphy and Goldson in that situation of not seeing EPL minutes, you don’t think there are more?

Greg Stewart is best as a striker who drops deep so I wouldn’t be surprised if he is 3rd choice

I think we’ll spend big on a ball playing centre half.
That and Kent back with a young third choice striker and we’ll bring home the title.

I can see us going for John Souttar at Hearts. Not every ones cup of tea, but for me he is a talent and very good with the ball at his feet. Lafferty as part of the deal.

Agree, defender, Kent and a striker.

Well we also found Murphy and Goldson in that situation of not seeing EPL minutes, you don’t think there are more?
Sure there are countless not seeing EPL minutes but worthwhile ones like Murphy, Goldson, Davis and Defoe are few and far between. Players who are of a certain age and have a lot to offer on and off the pitch.

Folk like Fraser and Macarthur who might've been in the Murphy bracket are too expensive now. As well as Gray who is way too expensive.

Players kicking around the benches of your Bouremouth, Palace, Norwich, Villa, Southampton, Brighton are often too young and untried at any level and not many would get the juices flowing like Murphy, Goldson, Davis and Defoe.

Just my opinion though. Would be delighted to get a Goldson level CB for example or a Defoe level CF to round out our team. Just don't want us settling for less than we already have.

@darrellcurrietv: As it stands Liverpool have no interest in loaning out Ryan Kent again. Klopp wants to see him in pre-season to assess his development. Things might change later in the window but Kent himself will have to push very hard to make this happen.

@darrellcurrietv: A bit more on Ryan Kent:
If a sizeable bid was made and Kent himself wanted to go then Liverpool would be more inclined to sell.
Over to the Rangers board...

Do we not need a left back ? I say we do .

Do we?

Many on here were talking like Flanagan was the answer after he looked competent in a few dead rubbers in May.
I personally find it astonishing that people think we could win the title with Flanagan at left back.

It's clear, we either persevere with Barisic or we get a new one. I don't know what the answer is from those two but Flanagan, Halliday etc ought not to even come into the equation.

We’ve got two of them. The two best strikers in Scotland! If Alfie screws his head on he could be a 40 goal a season man and Defoe is still an incredible player to have as a backup. There are EPL teams that don’t have that quality up front

I trust Defoe and he is quality but will need a rest at times Morelos needs to be moved on he cannot be trusted at Rangers to do what's best for the team or the manager.
We need two strikers.

Back