Cedric Itten

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilso10

What do we think is going on with this guy?

Since that fantastic cameo at Motherwell a couple of weeks back he's barely featured which has surprised me, felt like that was the game that would really elevate his presence in the team but it appears to have went the opposite direction. I get he's got some tough competition ahead of him but is it just that? Carrying an injury? Not doing it in training?

The gaffer will have his reasons obviously, I'm just not sure what they are.

He was injured and in general is still finding his feet at the club.

It will take time but I have no doubt he will become a big player for us. His attitude when he comes on in his sub appearances is good, nothing to worry about mate.

Last edited:

Since that fantastic cameo at Motherwell a couple of weeks back he's barely featured which has surprised me, felt like that was the game that would really elevate his presence in the team but it appears to have went the opposite direction. I get he's got some tough competition ahead of him but is it just that? Carrying an injury? Not doing it in training?

I think you are overthinking things

The manager has repeatedly stated he needed time to settle and to integrate to a new team, new way of playing, new country etc etc

He was injured as well remember.

There is no issues.

He had an injury.

We also have Roofe, Morelos and Defoe so it's not easy for any of them to get into the team and stay there. As it should be!

He's a relatively young guy who has obviously been signed with the future in mind.

What is everyone expecting with Itten? 30 goals? Displacing Alfie and Roofe? He's a young lad with potential, adjusting to life in a new country and at a massive club - the club has invested in him for the long term.

The fact we have Morelos, Roofe and, to a lesser extent, Defoe all available and firing, makes the need for Itten to be setting the place alight less of a requirement. As we have seen with Aribo previously, young lads getting a season to find their feet at a club our size eventually bears fruit. I've no doubt we'll see similar with Itten.

Let's all chill out a bit.

It’s a long season and he will get his fair share of game time and will help bring 55

I believe we are letting him bed into the team and get used to the game here before flinging into the flames and potentially getting torn to bits by the critics on here and the red tabs.

He looks more likely to be a long term project and replacement for Morelos and doesn’t need the burden that Alfie has while Alfie is still here.

The manager has repeatedly stated he needed time to settle and to integrate to a new team, new way of playing, new country etc etc

He was injured as well remember.

There is no issues.

I'm not suggesting there are any issues nor I am having a dig at the management team for not playing him more regularly, which I can see a few posters seemed to have suggested here. I'm merely curious about the lack of game time he's getting given his last decent run out saw him put in a fantastic performance.

It’s got nothing to do with any of the above. He’s a young player in our squad who will improve and get game time when required and like Motherwell I’m sure he’ll make the most of it! Stop with the looking for something that might be wrong, you’ll see plenty of him!

We could see him start this weekend up top, he came on and did well against Motherwell. Think we might see him and Morelos start against killie, the inside right role suits Morelos.

Last edited:
I believe we are letting him bed into the team and get used to the game here before flinging into the flames and potentially getting torn to bits by the critics on here and the red tabs.

He looks more likely to be a long term project and replacement for Morelos and doesn’t need the burden that Alfie has while Alfie is still here.

I agree. Itten was signed to spearhead the attack when Morelos departs. Alfredo is still here, which is as positive as it is surprising, so it gives the manager the luxury of introducing Itten gradually which will be better for his long term career at Rangers.

Nothing to question really, and the fact Itten has been injured is another factor.

Alfie was the man for the job last night. Itten will surely come into the team as he increases his fitness. We have a pretty gruelling schedule right now and will be needing him.

I'm not suggesting there are any issues nor I am having a dig at the management team for not playing him more regularly, which I can see a few posters seemed to have suggested here. I'm merely curious about the lack of game time he's getting given his last decent run out saw him put in a fantastic performance.

I remember him doing an interview and describing the physicality of the league as challenging. It wouldnt surprise me if we use him sparingly this season whilst putting him on a strength and conditioning program because of the options we have available.

Thats just my take mate, i don't actually know for sure.

injury and settling him in.

Roofe was bought as the first team starter & challenge to alfie (if he stayed as he did)

itten is the developing talent - we will see more of him post xmas I reckon and my prediction is he will be this seasons lafferty and finish the season with a run of 27 goals in 8 games *or whatever it was

I’m surprised he hasn’t had more game time, especially after getting off the mark.

Plenty of time.

I would like to see us going with more than one striker in certain games. i Thought that was the point of bringing in 2 strikers

Last edited:
He‘ll get his chance, I’ve liked what I’ve seen of him in the wee cameos he’s played. He’s had a few wee niggly injuries stopping him from training properly. He’s a different option given his height compared to Morelos/Defoe/Roofe.

It’s got nothing to do with any of the above. He’s a young player in our squad who will improve and get game time when required and like Motherwell I’m sure he’ll make the most of it! Stop with the looking for something that might be wrong, you’ll see plenty of him!

He's 24 next month so I'd hardly say he is "young" but given you think I am looking for something wrong you can be excused for talking rubbish here.

SG got the subs correct last night. I think well see him at some point this Sunday, especially If we can get a decent goal lead heading into the last 30 mins of the game.

couple of knocks
alfie is the no. 1 striker at the club
roofes been knocking the door slightly more

give him time

by next season Alfie will be away, Defoe will either be moved to coaching or moved on
so i can see Itten & Roofe as the main striking options

If Alfie is injured ... i think Defoe would start against Killie
Can’t start Defoe against anyone in the top half of our league imo. His all round game makes our play awful to watch and we struggle to make chances. If Alfie is injured I reckon he’ll either start roofe up top or itten with roofe playing one of the roles behind him.

I remember him doing an interview and describing the physicality of the league as challenging. It wouldnt surprise me if we use him sparingly this season whilst putting him on a strength and conditioning program because of the options we have available.

Thats just my take mate, i don't actually know for sure.

You're probably right TBH. Although I actually thought he came to us with better match fitness than Roofe did who has featured more prominently, despite his injuries.

Perhaps it is just as simple as Gerrard easing him in gradually. Personally I'd like to see more of him when the opportunity arises.

The manager explained clearly his reasons for starting Roofe and not Morelos last night. I suspect he and his management team have a plan for introducing Itten into the team at the appropriate times. I would trust them.

I think Itten is an unconditioned diamond. Gerrard rates him, you can tell. But I think from what I’ve read heard from SG and CI so far, the gaffer wants him to play across the front not just no.9. He needs to get used to the system.

he’ll be fine.

For Itten see Morelos when he first sighed. Will score goals in cameos but is nowhere near ready to be our leading striker. When Morelos leaves, that’s when Itten has got to step up.

He is class but he’s not ready yet and that’s not a criticism

He's a top player, the fact he isn't playing is a good thing - it shows you just how good we are right now that we have the luxury of having a prolific Swiss international striker sitting on the bench.

No need to rush him in the way things are going. Afford him the time to settle in, understand not only the style we play but the nature of Scottish football.

Itten has looked a wee bit better every appearance. He's clearly got the ability, but with 3 other strikers fit and firing why rush him.

Imo he was bought on potential and will be gradually introduced to the team.

Reminds me of when my dad was trying to explain women to me years ago. "If your wife buys you two ties and you are wearing one of them, she'll ask if you don't like the other one". We're really fortunate to have a first team that's firing at the moment and have quality in reserve that we can call on if required too. He'll play his part when needed this season I'm sure then he'll play a bigger part in our quest for 56.

Nothing is going on with him, we have 4 strikers and can only play 1. He will get his chance, we will rotate a bit as the season gets heavier. December is a heavy month.

For Itten see Morelos when he first sighed. Will score goals in cameos but is nowhere near ready to be our leading striker. When Morelos leaves, that’s when Itten has got to step up.

He is class but he’s not ready yet and that’s not a criticism

Not really true, Morelos was starting just about every league game right from the off and was scoring goals. Albeit back then he didn't have the same level of competition Itten does today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back