Cedric Itten

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was bought for the future (a future without Morelos) not right now. I think next season we'll see a lot more of him, especially through the middle with Roofe & Kent either side of him.

Personally I think he’s playing as much as I thought he would, more so with Morelos staying. There’s overthinking it, he will get chances and I’m sure he will take them.

That's fair enough, I maybe expected him to play a little more given the financial outlay, age and him coming off a fairly hot goalscoring season in Switzerland but I'm not working with the guy on a full-time basis. I'm sure he'll come good, his goals against Motherwell alone suggest so.

Probably something to do with the fact that a team is only allowed 11 players on the pitch and the current crop on the team sheet are winning matches .
Leave the team selection to our management team . Seems to be working quite well like that is it not .I'm sure Itten will get his chance when injuries and suspensions kick in during the season

People forget that when the mentally challengeds first loaned in Odsonne Edouard, that his minutes were very limited to begin with. Until nearer the end of the season. Once the talk of Dembele leaving started to intensify. They then bought him and sold Dembele. He's being coached and although his minutes are limited atm, he's being given time to adapt and adjust.

I'm not suggesting there are any issues nor I am having a dig at the management team for not playing him more regularly, which I can see a few posters seemed to have suggested here. I'm merely curious about the lack of game time he's getting given his last decent run out saw him put in a fantastic performance.
Tbh after the two goals I thought the management would have tried to build on that obvious confidence and play him again in the next league game, must be difficult for him getting small bit parts here and there then finally when he does shine after getting another small bit part, he’s left out again

I'm not suggesting there are any issues nor I am having a dig at the management team for not playing him more regularly, which I can see a few posters seemed to have suggested here. I'm merely curious about the lack of game time he's getting given his last decent run out saw him put in a fantastic performance.
The lack of time is because Alfie then Defoe then Roofe were started before him or came on as a sub. We won all those games so when should he have started/been subbed on? Roofe scored a wonder goal, Defoe a lovely goal and Alfie a winner. There is just no place for him at the minute. There will be.

Simply, Itten is 3/4 choice striker just now. We play with 1 most of the time. Hence we might not see a lot of him.

When Defoe retires and if Alfie gets sold then he'll come up the pecking order. If he nets a few he might sneak up the order too.

TBH after the little I had seen of the Polish lot I was surprised at Roofe starting, expected Alfie or Itten to give us a bit more physical presence and hold up play. Itten will be fine though he is a young lad settling into a new culture and we have no need to rush him.

New country etc, all the cliches, but are cliches for a reason.

Still settling in and our attacking play has been excellent so there was no need for him to have to hit the ground running straight away.

Seems to keep picking up silly wee injuries and knocks. Maybe it's the intensity in training that his body is needing to adapt to

The lack of time is because Alfie then Defoe then Roofe were started before him or came on as a sub. We won all those games so when should he have started/been subbed on? Roofe scored a wonder goal, Defoe a lovely goal and Alfie a winner. There is just no place for him at the minute. There will be.

Wouldn't it be great if football was as black and white as this post. Would make these conversations a lot easier. I could counter your post and say, what if we had started Itten last Sunday and he scored a hat-trick?

Anyway, no cause for concern, we're winning games and that's the important thing here but it is rather curious.

Good position to be in when you make a relatively big signing and it's not really mattered he's not played a big role.

Obviously bought as an emerging player and to develop but I would argue slightly concerning he's not been seen more and that suggests he simply hasn't done enough to get more game time.

No reason to panic for sure but I would think the player will be a little disappointed he's not made more of an impact.

I was surprised and, to be honest, disappointed , that against Livingston, he didn't start.

Defoe's obviously gone and proved it was a good move to start him in that game, but I think the point remains, Defoe won't be here next year and Itten hopefully has a long future at Ibrox ahead of him.

Hamilton next Sunday looks like an ideal chance to give him a game.

200.gif

What I think is going is that, he hasn't had a brake or a pre season. His league finished and he signed for us a day later.

We won't see a lot of Itten until the Jan/Feb mark I would imagine.

What do we think is going on with this guy?

Since that fantastic cameo at Motherwell a couple of weeks back he's barely featured which has surprised me, felt like that was the game that would really elevate his presence in the team but it appears to have went the opposite direction. I get he's got some tough competition ahead of him but is it just that? Carrying an injury? Not doing it in training?

The gaffer will have his reasons obviously, I'm just not sure what they are.
Part of me agrees with you but last night was not his game , it was tailor made for Alfie to come on and do what he did.

Part of me agrees with you but last night was not his game , it was tailor made for Alfie to come on and do what he did.

Wasn't even thinking about last night mate, just more generally. He's played 19 minutes in total across 5 games since his double against Motherwell.

Hes still young and Gerrard is doing the correct move for him the fact of the matter is hes not better than Alfredo kemar or defoe so for they reasons alone he should be on bench its no fault of his own but in my opinion at the moment in time all three are better and its all three players he can learn a lot off

Folk have to realise we have a large squad and later in the season when the cups kick in on top of Europa and then we have the winter schedule and the yellow card suspensions, players like Itten & Edmundson will see more action. When Itten signed he wouldve been told he would have to fight with Defoe, Morelos & Roofe for that starting berth.

Plenty of time for the lad and if he comes off the bench and scores 2 goals for us now and again, lovely stuff.

Good position to be in when you make a relatively big signing and it's not really mattered he's not played a big role.

Obviously bought as an emerging player and to develop but I would argue slightly concerning he's not been seen more and that suggests he simply hasn't done enough to get more game time.

No reason to panic for sure but I would think the player will be a little disappointed he's not made more of an impact.

You've been arguing shite since he signed, that's for sure.

Since that fantastic cameo at Motherwell a couple of weeks back he's barely featured which has surprised me, felt like that was the game that would really elevate his presence in the team but it appears to have went the opposite direction. I get he's got some tough competition ahead of him but is it just that? Carrying an injury? Not doing it in training?

Hopefully in time the lad will show his worth.

He has a big future at us that's for sure. He's in the mix with some top strikers and will have to wait for chances , but he has all the attributes to be a huge success IMO

He was bought as I think the hierarchy at the club expected Morelos to be moving on, that didn't happen so he's not getting the game time he would have hoped.

It's still early days for him tho and I am pretty confident he can go on and be a good addition.

Reactions: fmp
The worst thing we could do is rush him when we have so many options, he's young and a raw talent that needs moulded and will be finding his feet in a new country. Clearly by the reaction of his team mates at fir Park he's a well liked big boy and I've no doubt he will step up to the plate when his time is right.

Itten will be absolutely fine. Looks a tidy player, has a bit of pace, and good movement.

He will have his part to play.

The big man will get his chance when the situation arises. Still not fully up to speed yet.
We are well covered in the strike department. Brought in as it was a possibility Alfie might have been off.
Looking forward to seeing him fully fit. Looks very direct.

We can only play 11, Itten is a good player and will be banging them in for years to come, just how good is it to have squad depth after many years of bare bones?

He's a long term project for me. We have so many attacking options it gives him time to settle and find his feet. Next season will be his year for me and I think he's going to be a very decent player for us.
This i agree with he will be watching from the sidelines and see whats required when his chance comes and be ready to grab it with both hands or maybe feet,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back