Cedric Itten

Nobody’s saying he’s a superstar just that he’s more than good enough for the fkn SPL.

For the likes of Hearts or Hibs, sure across a season he would have scores goals, for Rangers in the SPL, he didn't look good enough let alone more than, Lafferty probably looked more comfortable with us when he returned under Gerrard, and Lafferty wasn't great during that spell.

Itten was a really poor spend of a decent chunk of cash

Hopefully we recoup what we paid for him but I think in 4 years we will look back at bad timing due to his age and the other strikers we have. I think once he gains more experience he will end up at a bottom half epl team.

The love in for a 4th choice striker is laughable. To suggest he played for a team that didn't cross the ball is revisionism of the highest order. He played in the same team as Borna and Tav FFS. The guy is woeful and scoring in friendlies against Arsenal and Real doesn't change the fact that he offered no threat against SPL teams when given the chance. 4th choice summarises his career with us.
How many quality crosses to his head were there?

You played the boy week in week out he'd get you between 20 to 30 in our league imo. He's a goalscorer but he lacks some other aspects of his game that Morelos has. If he gets a few between now and January it may be in our interests to recall him. Not even for us to play but for us to sell in the summer so we don't have a Jack Hendry situation they found themselves in with a team taking him for agreed fee then doubling their cash right away.

He’s getting some much needed game time at as high a standard as possible at this stage in his career.

When Morelos eventually goes….. I would have Itten back. Especially a more experienced and accomplished Itten.
They have a 3 million agreed fee in summer if they want him if we don't recall him in January I think.

I did actually read the post. to suggest that Itten having a good/decent preseason( and I'd need to see the stats again to see how many games he started) absolutely nails how short term our fans views are.
It's like Wright for Kent ...and then after a game they go 180.

Itten currently can't get a game for his team who sit at the bottom of the league.

And then we get the stuff he's a target man....really?

You've missed the point again. All the other poster said was that Itten was our best player during pre season and you reacted with:
Wow our best player? How did we win the league with SG in charge.

At no point did anyone say Itten was our best player. But he was our best player in pre season and Gerrard kinda alluded to that as well.

Some folk like to make out like Itten is a complete donkey when the fact is he's been capped for Switzerland who are no mugs and he had a decent goalscoring record before us.

Far better players than him have made moves that don't work out, that's football.

You've missed the point again. All the other poster said was that Itten was our best player during pre season and you reacted with:

At no point did anyone say Itten was our best player. But he was our best player in pre season and Gerrard kinda alluded to that as well.

Some folk like to make out like Itten is a complete donkey when the fact is he's been capped for Switzerland who are no mugs and he had a decent goalscoring record before us.

Far better players than him have made moves that don't work out, that's football.

You are a switched on guy I'm surprised you've missed the point I'm making.

I can't remember how many games Itten started preseason but my point is to suggest that is a measure that the manager didn't factor in when he made his decision to loan him out is nuts. To suggest it's an important measure or indeed that preseason showed he had stepped up a level and we let him go... is again nuts.

But it ties into both the short term mentality of a section of our support who always want changes/know better and a fact that anyone watching football for any amount of time will know football supporters as a mass don't always understand the details of player's ability or football at all-every week you hear the craziest criticism or advice shouted at the players.

This thread cements it, Itten as a striker who if played would score 20+ goals but the manager has missed this, we don't do crosses, we don't score enough headers, he's a target man, goals in games that are either friendlies or lost when he scores means his CV has been bolstered to a meaningful extent....all this stuff is just short term reactionary nonsense to a single goal from a player who is still not getting a start/holding down a place after being loaned presumably to get more games.

Itten is a Brattbak, Bo Anderson style striker likes the ball in front of him and at the right team/level will do well. He's clearly a very professional guy who HAS improved but simply is not the type of player who will fit into our system, the fact that I think Sakala has the same potential problem for different reasons is neither here nor there. On paper you can see why we bought him, right age, good scoring record but ultimately a bad scouting failure as he clearly doesn't fit our style of play and despite working hard to fit in is still seen as the manager as surplus no doubt balanced out by the player quite rightly wanting game time.

In short the thread is a bit mental.

FWIW I liked Itten and think he's a better player than he's accounted for at Rangers. He's obviously got something about him to have been capped for Switzerland and you can see with his goal outside the box vs Motherwell and away against Poznan that he's got that in his locker.

I just think it wasn't a great fit for club or player. He doesn't fit our style and he's not better than Morelos or Roofe to be playing as a central striker on his own.

I'd be happy if we could recoup what we paid for him tbh.

FWIW I liked Itten and think he's a better player than he's accounted for at Rangers. He's obviously got something about him to have been capped for Switzerland and you can see with his goal outside the box vs Motherwell and away against Poznan that he's got that in his locker.

I just think it wasn't a great fit for club or player. He doesn't fit our style and he's not better than Morelos or Roofe to be playing as a central striker on his own.

This for me.

I was more excited about him than Roofe, as well.

It was more about a section of our support's view on players. You think a goal against Bayern late on when they are 3 FWIW I liked Itten and think he's a better player than he's accounted for at Rangers. He's obviously got something about him to have been capped for Switzerland and you can see with his goal outside the box vs Motherwell and away against Poznan that he's got that in his locker.

Aye, that’s exactly it.

@DylanGer he scored against Bayern for one of the worst teams to ever play in the Bulli. Of course it’s good for his CV.

Aye, that’s exactly it.

@DylanGer he scored against Bayern for one of the worst teams to ever play in the Bulli. Of course it’s good for his CV.

How?
Do you think teams scouting him will look at a goal against Bayern when they are 3-0 up as important?
It's nonsense his overall ability, form and how he will fit into a team are the key things.

Itten was only ever good enough to be a back up striker at Rangers.

The amount of excuses people find for him is bizarre.

Good players grab the chances he got. He didn't because there was a large drop off from our regular forwards to him.

Thanks for his contribution but we need better.

We aren’t playing well so it’s time for calls to bring back a player that wasn’t good enough.

If Itten was still at Rangers he would have struggled to make the bench.

He got his start in Malmö and was miles off it. 30 minutes in Armenia and barely touched the ball.
That says more about the players behind him than anything else imo. Hardly any of our forwards have seen the ball this season. Our penetration and midfield play has been diabolical so far.

That says more about the players behind him than anything else imo. Hardly any of our forwards have seen the ball this season. Our penetration and midfield play has been diabolical so far.

Exactly, couldn't name any player who was 'on it' that day.

The boy that used to play for Celtic? The implication we didn't put the ball often into areas for players to score, and often from crosses is quite staggering to be fair, a raft of our goals come from the ball being worked into the box from wide areas.

In short we pussy foot around the penalty box, Shoot, don’t be stupid it’s not in the Rangers vocabulary we see it repeatedly too many players are timid to Shoot. As for speed of pass Naaa, let’s do five passes when two would do, if we won games on back and sideway passes, we would easily surpass 10IAR.

Reclaimed as a superstar after a goal and a load of posters suggesting we should have changed our play to suit him.......you couldn't make it up. Then again I did see Jason Cummings get a reception like he was the second coming.
He is the second Cummings , so his da said :D .

Was pretty poor last night
Yeah he didn’t have his best game in my opinion but Gerrard reckons different in his presser today.

I suppose on another night he could have had the equaliser with his offside goal. I don’t think many players were good last night.

Buf should be playing instead of Roofe.

In short we pussy foot around the penalty box, Shoot, don’t be stupid it’s not in the Rangers vocabulary we see it repeatedly too many players are timid to Shoot. As for speed of pass Naaa, let’s do five passes when two would do, if we won games on back and sideway passes, we would easily surpass 10IAR.

Drugs?

We aren’t playing well so it’s time for calls to bring back a player that wasn’t good enough.

If Itten was still at Rangers he would have struggled to make the bench.

He got his start in Malmö and was miles off it. 30 minutes in Armenia and barely touched the ball.
he was the only one in the team doing anything. First half he chased defenders, held the balll, laid it off but had nobody behind him. His performance in malmo was better than our strikers last night for example.

I take it Furth are the whipping boys over there?.

For sure. Koln, on the other hand, is kind of like the Newcastle of Germany I'd say. Mid table, but amazing fans and club culture.

"Eines Tages, eines Tages, eines Tages wird’s geschehn, ja dann fahren wir nach Mailand, um den FC Köln zu sehn" - One day, one day it will happen and then we'll go to Milan to see Koln. That's their fan song/motto. Another club who should be bigger than they are!

We need all the help we can get and Ced could still have done something for us. Hope he has a good time in Germany. Wish him all the best.

All of sudden because he’s gone he’s a superstar.
Revisionism, or fanaticism, is not going to help us.

Not the first time I have heard that we were supposed to get Nisbett in place of Itten.That is why Gerrard let him leave.

Why we didn’t get Nisbett??

He's not going to offer us much if he can't even get a start for Furth, time to let this one go I'm afraid.

Have to feel for the big guy starting on the bench after scoring against Bayern.

Don't know what he has to do to show Gerrard he deserves a start. Obviously doesn't fancy him.

Back