Cedric Itten

Was poor tonight, think he'd excel in a 2.

Be interesting to see if gio adopts a 352 for certain games.

I've tried to persist with him just because I really, really wanted the boy to kick on after he pulled us out of a fire against Motherwell at Ibrox last year.

But it's not happening. Few times tonight the chance was on a plate for him if he just gambles slightly. He was billed as a penalty box striker but doesn't seem to have the killer instinct for it.

A myth kind of developed that he wasn't getting a fair crack of it with us.

He just isn't good enough to start games for Rangers.
It probably started because he had a decent few games in the Bundesliga including scoring against Bayern.

People rightly wanted to see if he'd perhaps do better now that he'd experienced a bit of that league, including the boss.

But no, he's definitely not the required level. Those three chances that went right to his feet, Defoe would've finished every one of those.

He’s simply not good enough to be starting games for us.

Not physically imposing enough to be a target man. Not quick or technically gifted enough to cause a threat.

Impact sub at best

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact he is a Swiss international. Clearly he has his strengths. Maybe just doesn't fit into our "system", but we should be able to change it to accommodate when required, imo. He's not a bad player by any means.

A bit of a cult hero that has done nothing to earn it. He looks like a player that would struggle to get games for the other dross in the league, no show tonight.

How he gets capped by the Swiss is an absolute mystery.

I don't like getting ripped into individual players but I think he's had more than enough chances to prove himself now. Lost count on how many balls were fizzed across the 6 yard box and he was nowhere to be seen. Taking far too long on the ball too.

Wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt but unfortunately he’s not good enough. Reminds me of Steven Thompson.

I quite liked him before he went out on loan but he's been very disappointing since he came back. We need better, even for a squad player.

Tonight was the night my patience with him finally ran out. Unless Gio has plans to bring a striker in this window, the decision to let Defoe go before they'd had a chance to properly evaluate Itten in the flesh is baffling.

Back