Cedric Itten

One of the worst strikers i have ever seen play for Rangers and i include Sebo in this scenario. Banter years not included as they are different but he is like Daly.
He does nothing well.

One of the worst strikers i have ever seen play for Rangers and i include Sebo in this scenario. Banter years not included as they are different but he is like Daly.
He does nothing well.
Agree will all your points does nothing,i keep hoping hel do something special but gives nothing invisible on the park apart from scoring against motherwell i cant think of a great touch or move hes been invovled in utter dug shit.

I don’t know what he’s good at.

He’s not quick, his link up play isn’t good, he’s not strong, he’s not going to roll a defender or use trickery to get away from them, he’s not that good in the air, he’s not instinctive, he’s not a poacher - he’s just ok at everything without being very good at anything.

I always wanted to give Itten a fair crack of the whip, but against Livi he looked a day late and a dollar short. Against Livi. At Home.

Nothing in that performance said to me he is a Rangers player.

Have said consistently that i thought there was a player there with Itten, last night was the first night i started to doubt that.

He has to be able to impose himself on games like last night. There was plenty of balls in and around the box, he even got on the end of a few of them. But he fell over them or couldn't get them out from under his feet or couldn't get a clean shot away.

Ultimately it is his job to get on the end of a couple of those balls and stick them in the back of the net, he is the main man leading the line. How he does it is his business, it doesn't even need to be beautiful, just get the ball over the goal line.

He is now playing for his future Rangers career. He has a couple of games now to loosen up and show us what he has or there is no doubt he will be gone in the summer.

still see potential in Itten all be it sparse, could do us a turn when needed if he sticks to his task and used as a penalty box striker on the other hand Wright is just not going to make it with us, hate to say it and hope Im wrong but h e has not improved one iota in 12 months
I just don't see him being sharp enough to be a penalty box striker. He's so slow at moving his feet.

Big 3 points tonight in awful conditions but Itten was awful. I struggle to see what he brings to the team.

He can't hold the ball up
Lacks sharpness
One paced

If we have to rely on him for any length of time we're in trouble
Agree mate I have never seen anything to change my mind since I first seen him he's a big coo never Rangers level yet there is some on here who get their knickers in a twist about him because he scored a goal against m'well at Ibrox last season .

When Alfredo is missing it shows. Itten is clearly not at the standard required. Roofe is talented but too injury prone. Right now I’d be giving young Tony Weston a chance rather than Itten, but we should also be looking to invest in another striker capable of being a first team regular. Not entirely sure that letting Defoe go was sensible, keeping him until the end of the season may have been wise.

Big 3 points tonight in awful conditions but Itten was awful. I struggle to see what he brings to the team.

He can't hold the ball up
Lacks sharpness
One paced

If we have to rely on him for any length of time we're in trouble
Should have walked straight to the Airport.
Weak, lazy, with zero pace or skill.

I wouldn’t be unhappy if he never played for us again. Can’t understand why some were happy that he was recalled.
A couple of goals against Motherwell in a Rangers career that has otherwise been abysmal seemed to elevate him to cult status amongst some. I've never known so many apologists for a non-contributing player amongst our support. Maybe the Dodoo and Garner years dented their judgement.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact he is a Swiss international. Clearly he has his strengths. Maybe just doesn't fit into our "system", but we should be able to change it to accommodate when required, imo. He's not a bad player by any means.
Have you seen some of the Scottish “internationals”

Given him the benefit of the doubt until now. He's another very poor signing. Any sort of bid and he should be out the door.
Agree, he seemed to get a pass because he looked like a nice guy who tried, had an affinity for us and let’s be honest, did score a few important goals but he just isn’t at our level, the livi CH threw him about (he was a big lump TBF) and his linkup play was poor. Not sure we can afford to let him go in jan but defo summer he should be sold.

A couple of goals against Motherwell in a Rangers career that has otherwise been abysmal seemed to elevate him to cult status amongst some. I've never known so many apologists for a non-contributing player amongst our support. Maybe the Dodoo and Garner years dented their judgement.
Yep, last night he was dreadful & showed why he was sent out on loan. I cannot see any benefit for us in recalling him. He won't do anything for us & it's been obvious for some time.

Want him to make it ……but……a diddy.

Sands ……a diddy.

Wright……diddy.

Sakala……less of, but still a diddy.

Roofe……bit of a diddy.

Diddy = Not good enough for Rangers at this time.
You’re not replying to anybody here.
Have I missed something?
Sands, two games and written off?
Sakala?
Roofe?

Last night was a turning point for me as far as Itten is concerned. It's not good enough for us to be trying to create the kinds of chance he can put away, he needs to score the chances we're creating and he just couldn't do it. The ball kept rolling across the front of goal and he was nowhere near it.

Wright was given a showing up by Lowry, who has slotted into the team quite naturally. Although Lowry was duped for fouls a couple of times by more experienced players he kept his head.
Wright, and to an extent Sakala, offers speed to get past defenders but often seems unsure what to do with the ball once he hits the byline. At least Sakala made the keeper earn his money.

It wasn't a tough night for a central striker at all - provided they were capable.

A capable centre forward thrives off a team who has almost 75% possession and constantly on the offensive - he should be bursting a guy in between the lines, making space for himself, gambling and instinctively knowing what to do - he done none of those things.
I haven’t looked at the stats yet but 75 per cent possession sounds right. Livingston didn’t really want the ball. They were focussed on staying compact and in their shape and they did it well.

Possession v a team that doesn’t really want the ball doesn’t tell us much. I wish we had ‘constantly been on the offensive.’ We weren’t though. Compare and contrast the game last night with the games v St Mirren or Dundee. A different starting shape and completely different performances from the full backs, midfielders and wide men. It was much closer in performance terms to the game v Dundee Utd when we started with Lundstram as a holder and Kamara as an 8. Alfie, as central striker that game, had a very tough day that day and he had been playing week in week out.

Itten will certainly need to show more. I think he can. You probably don’t. We’ll just need to agree to disagree if you think that wasn’t a tough night for a central striker, particularly one who has had next to no football for close to 4 months.

I haven’t looked at the stats yet but 75 per cent possession sounds right. Livingston didn’t really want the ball. They were focussed on staying compact and in their shape and they did it well.

Possession v a team that doesn’t really want the ball doesn’t tell us much. I wish we had ‘constantly been on the offensive.’ We weren’t though. Compare and contrast the game last night with the games v St Mirren or Dundee. A different starting shape and completely different performances from the full backs, midfielders and wide men. It was much closer in performance terms to the game v Dundee Utd when we started with Lundstram as a holder and Kamara as an 8. Alfie, as central striker that game, had a very tough day that day and he had been playing week in week out.

Itten will certainly need to show more. I think he can. You probably don’t. We’ll just need to agree to disagree if you think that wasn’t a tough night for a central striker, particularly one who has had next to no football for close to 4 months.

You must be joking, a tough night?. A centre forward worth his salt had 3 or 4 gilt edged opportunities handed to him on a plate. Had he anything resembling predatory instincts he was on a hat-trick.

He can't hold ball up, can't dribble, can't dominate in the air in spite of his height, can't scare defences with pace, can't command a start when shipped out on loan, he's lightweight and easily dominated by defenders. I struggle to find any positives for him. No idea what you see in him.

If only the sale of goods act applied to players. We could at least be demanding our money back.

I have always backed the boy but it seems when he starts he can’t handle the pressure of being the main striker. Feel for the lad as he’s a trier but with us he’s an impact sub at best.

He is quickly running out of time and with Roofe and the Alfie coming back his options will be further limited for game time.
I'm not totally writing him off but will he get too many more chances to impress?

Never, ever, ever going to be our main striker....and I bet Gio has no thoughts of replacing Alfie with him. Money back would be best for all....if possible.

Want him to make it ……but……a diddy.

Sands ……a diddy.

Wright……diddy.

Sakala……less of, but still a diddy.

Roofe……bit of a diddy.

Diddy = Not good enough for Rangers at this time.
Sands = 2 games in, in a defensive minded position
Sakala = One of the best players on the pitch last night
Roofe = 2nd top goalscorer behind Morelos

:shh:

As usual the longer he was away and out of the team, the better he became in people’s minds.
I think we can close the book on this one now. Wish him well but his best move will be back to a Swiss team.

Morelos would have taken one of the driven crosses across the face of goal as he is always in about it, Itten seems to be in weird positions or wrestling a defender when the ball is played in.

You must be joking, a tough night?. A centre forward worth his salt had 3 or 4 gilt edged opportunities handed to him on a plate. Had he anything resembling predatory instincts he was on a hat-trick.

He can't hold ball up, can't dribble, can't dominate in the air in spite of his height, can't scare defences with pace, can't command a start when shipped out on loan, he's lightweight and easily dominated by defenders. I struggle to find any positives for him. No idea what you see in him.

If only the sale of goods act applied to players. We could at least be demanding our money back.
Yep, I think it was a real tough night for a centre forward. Two good balls fizzed across the goal doesn’t change the fact we didn’t play well or that Livi were very well set up and are defensively sound. I watched Alfie fail to score a goal from a perfect pass rolled to him by Roofe v Hearts. Failing to slot that didn’t make him a dud though.

You think he’s a dud. Fair enough. I think a guy that scored 1 in 2 in the Swiss League and has scored at International level must have something to his game.

Running out of game time to prove he is good enough for us,Time might even be up already,Very poor last night.

Was, isn't and never will be good enough.

If I hear one more "we can do without Morelos" I'll do time for somebody.

When Morelos is missing it’s so clear just how vital he is to the team.

Another example tonight, and I’m just hoping we’re not saying it after Roofe leading the line in the next two matches.

Have said consistently that i thought there was a player there with Itten, last night was the first night i started to doubt that.

He has to be able to impose himself on games like last night. There was plenty of balls in and around the box, he even got on the end of a few of them. But he fell over them or couldn't get them out from under his feet or couldn't get a clean shot away.

Ultimately it is his job to get on the end of a couple of those balls and stick them in the back of the net, he is the main man leading the line. How he does it is his business, it doesn't even need to be beautiful, just get the ball over the goal line.

He is now playing for his future Rangers career. He has a couple of games now to loosen up and show us what he has or there is no doubt he will be gone in the summer.

He’s actually Scored some lovely goals for us, including Real Madrid, and that was why I thought he could get himself back into consideration with Morelos away.

Last night, as many have said, there were some deliveries that a good striker would have died for, but Ced just wasn’t attuned, mentally or physically.

I’m now gone with him I’m afraid. It now looks like our only genuine cover for Morelos is Roofe, who didn’t look close to the required fitness level when he had his cameo last night.

Last edited:
Yep, I think it was a real tough night for a centre forward. Two good balls fizzed across the goal doesn’t change the fact we didn’t play well or that Livi were very well set up and are defensively sound. I watched Alfie fail to score a goal from a perfect pass rolled to him by Roofe v Hearts. Failing to slot that didn’t make him a dud though.

You think he’s a dud. Fair enough. I think a guy that scored 1 in 2 in the Swiss League and has scored at International level must have something to his game.
Yeah yeah yeah. Keep hearing this tired old nonsense about how he 'must have something' based on a couple of goals against Motherwell and his stats from a league 9 places lower than Scotland in the UEFA rankings. It's remarkable that those claiming he 'must have something' seem incapable of identifying positive attributes that could form the basis of the 'something' they hope hemight eventually demonstrate. In 18 months at Ibrox the guy has never progressed beyond 4th choice striker and if we had been able to sell him following his unconvincing loan spell, we would probably have kept JD till the end of the season.

He’s actually Scored some lovely goals for us, including Real Madrid, and that was why I thought he could get himself back into consideration with Morelos away.

Last night, as many have said, there were some deliveries that a good striker would have died for, but Ted just wasn’t attuned, mentally or physically.

I’m now gone with him I’m afraid. It now looks like our only genuine cover for Morelos is Roofe, who didn’t look close to the required fitness level when he had his cameo last night.
Agreed GY, i have saw flashes of something now and again. He is capable of moments of real skill.

Just not sure anymore we can wait on him to get comfortable. Falls into the 'sell' category now for me.

Roofe, in fairness is in that very same category, he is a 'sell' for me as well. Not available enough for a top earner and nowhere near the standard of Alfie when leading the line. He does have that killer instinct in front of goal, but still a 'sell'.

Agreed GY, i have saw flashes of something now and again. He is capable of moments of real skill.

Just not sure anymore we can wait on him to get comfortable. Falls into the 'sell' category now for me.

Roofe, in fairness is in that very same category, he is a 'sell' for me as well. Not available enough for a top earner and nowhere near the standard of Alfie when leading the line. He does have that killer instinct in front of goal, but still a 'sell'.
Roofe ! No way is he a sell, there's even better to come from him, I like him a lot.

Doesn’t have the movement or speed to get chances.

We signed him on the back of 30 goals in 61 games in the top flight of Swiss football. A league far better and technical than ours.

He has scored at international level.

Someone posted a youtube video of his goals, in one of the weekly threads, a great variety.

He has scored against Arsenal, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid this season :)

can we put this nonsense to bed. He can quite clearly get chances and score goals.

maybe his style isn’t suited to us, we were firing balls up to him last night as if he was Mark Hateley , another thread has established Scott Wright is sh!te apparently, Sands isn’t good enough (whilst we are at it I personally thought ten touch Sakala was also poor) maybe he didn’t get much help from his team mates.

Roofe ! No way is he a sell, there's even better to come from him, I like him a lot.
Fair enough.

I did say 'for me', only my opinion.

But he has been plagued with injuries most of his career which has continued while in a Rangers jersey. He isn't getting any younger so i don't imagine that will improve. As a top earner we need more imho.

When fit he is tidy, i see that, just not fit enough for me.

Sell.

Back