Celebrating when scudding a team?

Ease up or slaughter?

• Conserve energy and show respect.

Votes: 64 19.3%
  • Muller them.

Votes: 268 80.7%

• Total voters

Gordy Boy

Talksport has been full of chat today about the USA women going OTT yesterday as they thumped Thailand 13-0. Apparently when the players scored they were counting on their fingers as to the number they had netted.

On the flip side we have stories that Lowe told Germany to "take it easy" in the second half of the WC Semi after they led Brazil 5-0 at the break.

Another example being Pep Guardiola ordering his team to thump Burton Albion in the second leg after a heavy first leg win.

What would you do?

I wouldn't take my foot off their throat until the final whistle.

Go for the jugular. Goal difference could come in to factor at end of season.

Plus people remember games won 5,6,7,8 / nil more than 3,4-0.

Before 2012, I would be happy with 2 or 3 and a good performance. Now I want us to take at least 5 off every one of them. Never going to happen but one can dream

Talksport has been full of chat today about the USA women going OTT yesterday as they thumped Thailand 13-0. Apparently when the players scored they were counting on their fingers as to the number they had netted.

On the flip side we have stories that Lowe told Germany to "take it easy" in the second half of the WC Semi after they led Brazil 5-0 at the break.

Another example being Pep Guardiola ordering his team to thump Burton Albion in the second leg after a heavy first leg win.

What would you do?

You're asking two different questions.

One is about the appropriateness of "celebrating" a big win and the other is about scoring as many goals as possible.

No one will argue with the latter but some will with the former.

Before 2012, I would be happy with 2 or 3 and a good performance. Now I want us to take at least 5 off every one of them. Never going to happen but one can dream

I voted to conserve, not thinking about teams we play. I don't like small countries teams getting hammered. But want us to hammer every single team in our league by as many as possible.

Anyone remember when we allowed Chris Woods to take a penalty in a cup game, cant remember who it was against, maybe East Fife. He bloody missed it !!!

You're asking two different questions.

One is about the appropriateness of "celebrating" a big win and the other is about scoring as many goals as possible.

No one will argue with the latter but some will with the former.
Exactly. Takes the piss over celebrating going 13-0 up, but don't see a problem still trying to score no matter how big your lead is.

I took my mate to a game v Morton, cup match I think, back in the late 80s. We thumped them 8-0, my mate was delighted he had seen so many goals, and at how ruthless Rangers were.
He started going regular on his own, I didn’t have a clue until I bumped into him on the way home.
More goals = more entertainment.

I always hate it when we score 4 or 5 in the first half then chuck it in the second. When we beat Keith 10-1 twenty odd years ago it was about 7 at half time. Show professionalism and keep the performance going, don't "show respect" and ease up. It's entertainment, more goals more entertaining.

Mullering them is different from being an arrogant lady's front bottom, openly counting up the goals with your fingers, in effect taking the piss, is bad sports(wo)manship.
Agree with that. Watched the game but didn't notice the counting fingers. There was no need for that,but if it was one of ours against the Tim's,I'd be all for a signed photo and have it hanging in the living room

By all means score as many goals as you can given qualification could come down to goal difference.

The US are the best team in the world, at best their opponents are amateur and whose goalkeeper is a whopping 5 ft 4. It was never going to be a fair contest. There was no need to take the piss and be disrespectful.

I remember on our way back through the leagues McCoist coming out with some comment regarding not absolutely hammering some team/showing them respect, I remember that pissed me off a bit, so going by that, muller them.

Exception being, if there's another big game coming up soon to preserve some energy

if we were giving the vermin a doing I would expect our team to rub it in ,yesterday just wasn’t right ,but what goes around comes around,I’ll watch just too see the yanks get a doing.

Ramping up the scoreline in case of goal difference? Fair enough. Doing the conga on the sidelines and jumping about like you’ve just won a close fought final against your biggest rivals? Embarrassing and poet like. Our club was founded on Sporting Integrity, not religious discrimination. Some on this thread need to remember the Sporting Integrity part.

Several posts have criticized the US team for over-celebrating, counting on their fingers, etc. Just to be clear - after the final whistle, a number of them took the time to console the Thai players, including the keeper.

The question has been asked in the US press, too. Not surprisingly because, especially in baseball, there's a very strong unwritten rule in that you don't over-celebrate, and you don't rack up runs when you're already way ahead. This extends to the majors, in which "breaking" these rules can lead to fistfights, and/or pitchers trying to hit the batter. For example, if you hit a homer, you're not meant to celebrate at all. Even flipping your bat is seen as "disrespectful to the pitcher", and can earn you a fastball in the ribs next time up.

Imagine celebrating scoring multiple goals at a world cup. I haven't been this offended since Oduwa tried that rainbow flick. It's beyond the pale, players celebrating goals and using skills. Would put ye aff fitba for life.

If a big team is thumping amateurs in some cup, or in any game involving glaringly mismatched teams, over-celebrating your fifth sixth seventh goal is embarrassing, and there's a reason teams don't do it. At this stage, a gentlemanly handshake should suffice.

What would you do?

I posted right after watching the game yesterday (which was brutal to watch)
Lots of nice goals,but these two teams should never have been matched up.
End of of the game celebrations were tasteless,lacked respect for their opponents.
Hope they get their arses kicked at some point.Hoping it’s Canada,and we dance around and give them a taste of what it’s like.

I was entirely ambivalent about this furore until I heard the perennial whiny bints have reverted to type by asking 'would these questions be asked of male athletes'.

Over emotional attention seekers rightly criticised for classless celebrations - its a gender issue. Or something.

All a little predictable.

Last edited:
If we are talking about a League match then NO but, if in the Womens World Cup, I think it would be appropriate to take the foot 'off the gas' at 6 or 7 thereby not destroying ambitions of Thailand's ladies' from wanting to compete ever again.

Would be good if Brazil take 10 or so off USA in the Real ( Men's World Cup ) just as part of a learning curve.

Just my opinion !

if a footballer doesn’t play to his full strength not make them more likely to get injured?

Also a striker scoring more goals in one game could lead to a transfer to a bigger club

I dont think the problem (in the USA game) is with them scoring so many goals, some are taking issue with the way they celebrated the later goals, counting on your fingers and basically rubbing it in to the Thai's was a bit much, win big, but win with class seems to be the thing that many are saying.

Respectful thing to do is take it easy, but I’m a bad bastard so I’d want to absolutely slaughter the opposition.
Grind them into dust and then sprinkle them onto a dog shit.

There's a difference between keeping your intensity high and ripping the p*ss.

If you want to keep going and smash a team, fine. Don't rub it in while you're on the pitch. It generally leads to wild challenges, someone getting hurt (almost always the player who isn't ripping the p*ss) and a load of nonsense that's easily avoided.

Dignity when winning is something that should be encouraged.

Back