Celtic’s new CB

Does this guy keep Helander out of the national team ?
Doubt it. He has all of 3 caps to his name and wasn’t called up to the Euro’s squad for Sweden.

Admittedly I don’t pay too much attention to middle of the road - and table - Russian clubs but living out here I do watch the league a bit and this guy had never been on my radar at all in terms of being a player ready to make a big move back to Western Europe.

I ‘follow’ - in the loosest term - Dynamo Moscow and watched their game with Rubin Kazan towards the end of last season. Dynamo absolutely ran over Kazan in the pissing rain and somehow contrived to lose 2-0 in what was one of the luckiest wins I’ve ever seen in football based on the flow of the game and chances etc. Kazan somehow managed to finish 4th and qualify for Europe with a late season run up the table.

Starfelt played 29 out of 30 games last season - and in helping keeping a clean sheet that day despite the onslaught and healthy dose of luck obviously did well - but Russian domestic football is pretty turgid, slow paced and monotonous stuff and I’d fancy us against any Russian side in a two legged European tie. Sure they are generally way more technical than your average Scottish side but the pace, intensity and brutality even of the Scottish game isn’t for everyone, and big lumbering centre halves playing for either side of the OF can struggle when faced with teams who play direct on the counter and having too much time on the ball themselves relative to their limited technical ability.

I notice he came to Russia from IFK Gothenburg. Hopefully cut from the same cloth as Karl Svensson was :)

I had never heard of him prior to being linked. A quick search and read up on him wasn’t exactly a glowing report. Took a long time to settle in Russia, error prone, gets caught on the ball, poor positional sense, not very commanding.

From everything I’d read when he signed, he seemed to be known for being comfortable enough on the ball but not commanding and poor aerially. I seen all of that last night and I hope he keeps it up all season.

I had never heard of him prior to being linked. A quick search and read up on him wasn’t exactly a glowing report. Took a long time to settle in Russia, error prone, gets caught on the ball, poor positional sense, not very commanding.

By the sounds of it the reports are right so far

Nope.

He never played at centre half. I could be corrected but not in a competitive match. Given we were generally playing 7 centre halves at the time this could easily be fudged!
He played in back 5 as the left side of the 3 CBs I am almost positive.

Only seen goal clips etc but he appeared to be somewhat disorientated in having to play on left hand side of defence .
From there his body positions wrt attackers and the goal were skewed , that’s what I thought anyway .
on top of that he became harassed and panicked which led to him being impetuous and then going to ground as an attacker spun him .

Not sure if this is all about settling and fitness deficits but his involvement on that opener looked weak /

I’m not going to write this guy off as a dud like Duffy just yet. Actually playing him yesterday was an act of desperation and unfair on the player. However it shows the shambles they have got themselves into right now. Players are gradually eased into our setup - whilst they are throwing theirs in unprepared.

The manager threw him under the bus imo.

No way would a player come straight into our team after just meeting the players the day before.

Was pleasing to see him adopt the Duffy position as Hearts took the lead.
Furuhashi was put on after only meeting with the squad earlier the same day. Absolute amateur hour.

The atmosphere in their dressing room will be really toxic and demoralising at the moment, very bad atmosphere for any new signings to come into a gel with the team.

To remove that toxic atmosphere within their dressing room they would need a really charismatic manager with very good people skills, fortunately Ange does not fit that description.

We are lucky to have a manager that is very charismatic and has excellent people skills, he can get the best out of every player.

It just shows how laughably bad their recruitment is. The way Ange looks to be playing has the centre backs over the halfway line so anyone and their granny can see they would require centre backs with pace, he looks very slow.

It was the same last season with Duffy, he has always been good in teams that sit deep and defend for their lives, backs to the wall type defender, he is dreadful with the ball and pretty much said that himself when they signed him. He was never ever going to be successful in a team that is looking to play high and need defenders that can pass out.
Their defenders have clearly passed out

Ange starting arsefelt on Saturday should really give us a clue to how well of a man manager he is lol he stayed after the game that arseft had only one training session before starting the game . Why on earth when you’ve just been knocked out the champs league ,are a new manager under pressure to get instant results and needing a win to bounce back go ahead and start you new cb when he’s nowhere near ready . He’s basically dug his own hole deeper an now he’s managed to drag his new signing into the hole with him . It’s amazing to watch but it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

Arsefelt looked rotten and a LCB who is right footed doesn’t help balance in a team

Furrysashi weak in a tackle and don’t think he speaks English so language barrier will be a challenge

Abada is young and need to see more of him but not convinced he will improve them more than Forrest

According to MSM arsefelt hasalready been the subject of a 40 million pound bid from the Spanish giants Leavemyarsealona
They were right up there alongside the following from the 80s

Unreal Madrid
Bayern Bru
Inter Milamb (Aberdeen based)
Inter Yermaw

Don't think any of them are still playing today.

Remember they said he’s better than helander, ohhh how I laughed
He's that better that despite having played in a higher quality league, he can't get ahead of Helander in Scotland, Danielsson in China and Jansson in the Championship.

Wit a player :rolleyes:

The only thing he seems to have going for him is his quality at attacking corners. Defensively not so much. Julien is the exact same. Who cares about actual defensive ability, when you can win a few headers when attacking from corners.

Arsefelt looked rotten and a LCB who is right footed doesn’t help balance in a team

Furrysashi weak in a tackle and don’t think he speaks English so language barrier will be a challenge

Abada is young and need to see more of him but not convinced he will improve them more than Forrest
The majority of Japanese people are taught English, however most do not like speaking it.

A lot of it is to do with embarrassment due to mispronunciation and making a mistake.

Nakamura could speak English but hated speaking in it.

That Abada seems to be promising but he looks very raw. He is the kind of player we would take on as a project and slowly try to develop him. They are throwing him into the deep end.

Back