Celtic 1 Rangers 2 1980

madride

Been fighting the boredom by watching old matches and came across one of my favourite wins over them.

First win at the piggery in 6 years (wouldn’t happen again for another 9). Standard mentally challenged tears over a disallowed goal and a belter of a late winner

I remember thinking that Jim Bett was going to be a real star for us.

And imagine brothers playing against each other in this game, hard to believe that will happen much.

One of the craziest goal celebrations ever, I must have ended up 30 yards away from where I stood when Alex Miller hit it.

I was that nervous near the end of that game that when Humphrey hit that one in my jaw locked almost shut with the sudden cheer. Had to squeeze food through my teeth for days but it was worth it. Funny every time I see it again as I would have sworn it was way outside the box at the time.
Looking back at these old games that have been on here recently you realise that we played some really good stuff but it wasn't analysed to death like nowadays so you kind of forget.

Great to see that again.
Only remember 2 things about that day was it was roasting and Alex Millers goal .

How good were Jazzer Bett and Bobby Russell. Roy Aitken serial thug as ever. Recall got them to Ibrox in the November and horsed them 3-0,big Colin won the battle of the brothers that day. WATP

The first time I saw us beat them
My previous 2 games against them we were beaten 1-0 in each game
Great result and a great day

Had never seen Rangers win at Scumdome and guess what , my sister decided to pick that day to get married so I missed the game. The date is ingrained in my memory, 23 August 1980. Had to wait a further 9 years before witnessing my first away OF victory.

I was 16 and me and a pal had manoeuvred towards the back to escape the notorious crushing on the way out- my how how celebrated when "The Humphs" goal went in.

I remember us being bricked by mentally challengeds from the old railway line adjacent to Springfield road after the game. Scum then and the same now.

The mistake for their goal could fit right into this season's comedy offerings. I loved that team though and could comprehend, as a kid, how big Ham & Egg couldn't be successful as a manager. Used to have a huge Colin McAdam poster on the bedroom wall

Watching all these old games,really does bring back memories,such as
Redford, really underrated then,Willie wan fit,really did have two.
Still haven't changed my opinion on big McCloy,really didn't rate him,but every one of them gave 100%

I'm ashamed to say that after the lengthy run of defeats at the DhimDome in the lead up to this game I had decided I was 'boycotting' going there because I was so frustrated at Rangers performances. We were a far more competitive team against them than that stat indicated.

So, I heard the score from this game come through on the radio as I was driving through from Lanark to Edinburgh with my then girlfriend. An English lassie, from Doncaster, who knew nothing about football. She almost shit her pants when I let out a roar of delight upon hearing the score.:)

I didn't realise there was another 9 years of pain to follow at their place though.:(

I'm ashamed to say that after the lengthy run of defeats at the DhimDome in the lead up to this game I had decided I was 'boycotting' going there because I was so frustrated at Rangers performances. We were a far more competitive team against them than that stat indicated.

So, I heard the score from this game come through on the radio as I was driving through from Lanark to Edinburgh with my then girlfriend. An English lassie, from Doncaster, who knew nothing about football. She almost shit her pants when I let out a roar of delight upon hearing the score.:)

I didn't realise there was another 9 years of pain to follow at their place though.:(
That's why we love (and sometimes don't) love the game. Wouldn't be the same if we knew what was coming up.
Having said that, that was a sore one for you. It was my first time there so enjoyed the moment not imagining the hurt that was to follow.

That's why we love (and sometimes don't) love the game. Wouldn't be the same if we knew what was coming up.
Having said that, that was a sore one for you. It was my first time there so enjoyed the moment not imagining the hurt that was to follow.

I had been trooping along to all those games at the Piggery since about 1970. Saw some wins but then came that 6 year losing streak and I began to think I was a jinx but, mainly, I couldn't understand how we could go there so often and make an utter arse of things. That game was the first of my 'boycott' - and we go and win the damned thing. Sadly, it was a false dawn.

Watching all these old games,really does bring back memories,such as
Redford, really underrated then,Willie wan fit,really did have two.
Still haven't changed my opinion on big McCloy,really didn't rate him,but every one of them gave 100%

I thought McCloy was a very poor keeper. I know that he won a good few medals with us, but he made far too many costly errors, consistently.
Redford wasn’t one of my favourite players. Don’t like being negative, but that is my genuine opinion.

Had a mate up from London that weekend. He couldn’t believe what it was like. We ended up miles apart when the winner went in.

I thought McCloy was a very poor keeper. I know that he won a good few medals with us, but he made far too many costly errors, consistently.
Redford wasn’t one of my favourite players. Don’t like being negative, but that is my genuine opinion.
I didn’t particularly rate McCloy either, certainly technique wise when you see Goram and McGregor. He was at the club a long time and was part of Barcelona so he must’ve done something right.

McCloy was definitely someone who divided fans opinion,older bears will remember things like being outjumped for the alky wife beater to score,or being beaten by Charlie George from the halfway line.other side of the coin is the amount of medals he won.

I had been trooping along to all those games at the Piggery since about 1970. Saw some wins but then came that 6 year losing streak and I began to think I was a jinx but, mainly, I couldn't understand how we could go there so often and make an utter arse of things. That game was the first of my 'boycott' - and we go and win the damned thing. Sadly, it was a false dawn.
I seem to have mirrored your experiences but 10 years later. Up until we won there again I felt like I had a Groundhog day every time I went there. It would be pishing with rain and we would lose to a late goal and I would step off the bottom step leaving the ground into a pool of pish that covered my shoes. It might not actually have happened that often but felt like it and especially the years pre Souness which were dark time Bear wise.

Great to see the old games and players

interesting to see “The Rangers” in the initial footage (if my eyesight wasn’t wrong) As mentioned on other threads, no idea why some think that might annoy us.

Right in the middle of the Rangers End, total carnage at the goal. Train back into the toon from Bridgeton, no idea how or why but ended up in Denholms Bar In Hope Street with a crowd of Bears from London.

Back