Celtic and the trophy center

hammer-time

sorry for yet another thread on then but didn't want this question to be lost as I wanted to get it answered. how long did they have their Trophy center contract still in place after Torbett was jailed for abusing Celtic youth players? Was Liewwell there when any payment was made to the Trophy center?

The Trophy Centre.

Lawwell came back to Celtic in September 2003. I believe payments of £250,000 to the TC took place between 1998 and 2002, but this needs to be verified.

Some of these payments came after Rangers had introduced an EBT scheme, so there is no credible argument against action being taken against Celtic on the basis of how far back in time any infractions occurred.

The Trophy Centre.

Lawwell came back to Celtic in September 2003. I believe payments of £250,000 to the TC took place between 1998 and 2002, but this needs to be verified.

Some of these payments came after Rangers had introduced an EBT scheme, so there is no credible argument against action being taken against Celtic on the basis of how far back in time any infractions occurred.

Was it not £250k each year for 4 years?

Here’s something I just noticed. I’ve got a metallic key ring, had it for more than 20yrs it’s of the front door of Ibrox, bought it from the superstore at Ibrox. Yesterday was just absently playing with my keys, noticed the company stamp on the back, a rosette with trophy centre in the middle of it.

The Trophy Centre.

Precisely. I await the clamour with non-baited breath.

Tried to search for their accounts on companies house but can't find any record of them, the only 2 entries for trophy centre in Glasgow were incorporated in the 90s and dissolved a year or so later. They do show up on a company check on other websites (company number SC087327), this in the one were it list Kevin Kelly as a director and a female relative of McGinn I'm assuming as secretary.

Billy McNeil was running a pub at Victoria Road and held the award nights for the dominoes.
I went along with a friend to collect said trophies for teams and noticed his had trophy centre
on the base. Chucked it accross the pub and shouted "still getting freebie trophies from the pervert".
This was around 2004/5. Got strange looks at my outburst. Don't know if they were free, I was just angry that an ex player was still dealing with the trophy centre knowing what he knew. Ok, Torbett was in jail by this time but it just sickened me.

https://www.gov.uk/report-an-unregistered-trader-or-business

I reported them to HMRC for suspected money laundering of £250,000 a year for 4 years.

It might help the investigation if more people reported their suspicions with some details?

It would be really ironic if HMRC found there was a case to answer.
Superb work. A great angle to look at this from. What exactly did they receive for their million pounds apart from silence obviously.

Would be interesting to see their turnover though for the 4 years mentioned compared to any normal year of business.
And the matching invoices.

If you believe that something dodgy went on then it is your moral duty to report the Trophy Centre and Celtc FC to the HMRC whistleblowers website. They even reward you up to 15% of the tax.

Now that our situation with them is done there will be dozens of investigators twiddling their thumbs looking for stuff to do.

The Trophy Centre.

Any Idea when Lawell left them if he came back in 2003 ?

I read, so cannot in any way verify, that the payments were for the total of their merchandise stock per year. If the figures tally before and after then it may simply have been a standard payment. Even if it was legitimate then there would be mileage in whether it was tendered, whether the amounts reflected a decent return for the club in terms of gross income etc and whether the trophy centre were given preferential treatment in any bid process. If the numbers do add up, it might prove counter-productive to pursue it, but it is 100% something that needs to be closely scrutinised.

This is what it was. The last payment was made in 1990 was it not?
Torbett was not jailed until 1998 first time round.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/BOYS+CLUB+PERVERT+DUMPED+BY+CELTIC;+Club+axes+contract+with+Torbett...-a094570229
"They have paid that firm more than pounds 1million in the time since Torbett was convicted and that is appalling."
"This has now lapsed (contract)and we are opening up the supply of our merchandise to tender."

The article is from the Daily Record 2002 confirms payment from 1998 until 2002 of £1m.

Last edited:
I read, so cannot in any way verify, that the payments were for the total of their merchandise stock per year. If the figures tally before and after then it may simply have been a standard payment. Even if it was legitimate then there would be mileage in whether it was tendered, whether the amounts reflected a decent return for the club in terms of gross income etc and whether the trophy centre were given preferential treatment in any bid process. If the numbers do add up, it might prove counter-productive to pursue it, but it is 100% something that needs to be closely scrutinised.
The figures are just too perfect for me. Exactly £250,000 each year for 4 years = a million quid. Merchandise demands would vary each year or they could end up with a warehouse full of plastic medals and cups if they were pre ordered.

Why would Celtic FC pay £250k per annum for 4 years to buy trophies? Surely these were not presented to their players. Couldn't be for the boys club as they were a separate legal entity.

Everyone knows there was a cash only turnstile at parkhead for many years refered to as the Kelly turnstile,god knows how much tax they didn’t pay .
Sporting integrity at it’s best.

Why would Celtic FC pay £250k per annum for 4 years to buy trophies? Surely these were not presented to their players. Couldn't be for the boys club as they were a separate legal entity.

The Trophy centre would also be suppling embroidered items etc to the club.

It was not just trophies and baubles. It was scarfs and bunnets etc. Regardless it should not have been the same figure every year.

It stinks to the heavens.

Which other football club spends £250,000 per year on trophies?

Surely clubs win a maximum of 4 per year?

Why pay for other Trophies? That doesn’t make sense. Even youth teams or boy’s clubs play in competitions for trophies supplied by the organisers.

Even if you purchased, as an example, 10 trophies for player of the year / goal scorer that would be about £50-£100 max total and likely be bought by sponsor or supplied gratis.

These payments were clearly illicit

Which other football club spends £250,000 per year on trophies?

Surely clubs win a maximum of 4 per year?

Why pay for other Trophies? That doesn’t make sense. Even youth teams or boy’s clubs play in competitions for trophies supplied by the organisers.

Even if you purchased, as an example, 10 trophies for player of the year / goal scorer that would be about £50-£100 max total and likely be bought by sponsor or supplied gratis.

These payments were clearly illicit

Did you actually read the post? In particular the very first sentence? :D

It would be interesting to know how much Kelly and McGinn were paid by the Trophy Centre. If they were directors the accounts should show this. Anyone have access to Companies House info?

After the contract with the trophy centre finished , who did celtic use and where the contracts anywhere close to 250k per year .

If not , why not . Questions have to be asked what that 250k per year bought
They must be spending more than that now with inflation with whoever does all that business that the Trophy Centre used to get.

This is what it was. The last payment was made in 1990 was it not?
Payments were made from 1998 to 2002.
£250,000 per year for 4 years.
£1,000,000 for plastic cups n trinkets, hats n scarves and other supporters merchandise.
What were they paying for the 4 years before that and the 4 years after. I’d be shocked if it was £250,000 per year.
Any neutral individual who knows the whole sordid story regarding Torbett and the Celtic Paedophile Ring would probably hazard a guess that the Trophy Centre money was either a form of money laundering or hush money. Only in my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Back