Celtic defender Duffy has been a ‘major disappointment’ and looks ‘fragile and slow’ says Tam McManus

BlueMeanie

TAM McMANUS has branded Celtic defender Shane Duffy as a major disappointment.

Celtic have suffered a poor week of results with defeats to Old Firm rivals Rangers and AC Milan and a draw at Aberdeen last time out.

Lennon’s men have conceded eight goals in those three matches and McManus reckons the man who was brought into the club to shore up the defence has so far looked fragile, slow and lethargic in his performances.

Speaking on PLZ Soccer, he said: “He has been a major disappointment Peter.

“I think every single Celtic fan was rubbing their hands when he came in the door.

Celtic have shipped eight goals in their last three games Credit: Getty Images - Getty
“He was exactly what Celtic were needing. We thought and supporters thought they were going to get a real aggressive centre-half up here in the Celtic team to win headers, be solid at the back and not give anything away and he has been the complete opposite to be honest.

“He’s been fragile, slow, lethargic and not been up to the pace of the game. He is diving in to tackles and is all over the place at the back.

“It has been desperately poor from Shane Duffy. Particularly when you think of the outlay Celtic are paying.

“They are probably paying a good whack of his wages and the loan fee.

“So he has been a major disappointment. Whether you drop him or not is up to Neil Lennon but he’s certainly not earning his place at the minute.

“Another mistake and poor game on Sunday. Once you get [Christopher] Jullien, [Nir] Bitton and [Hatem] Elhamed back there is maybe going to be options for Neil Lennon to drop him.”

Host Peter Martin added: “I am going to be blunt with you Tam. Shane Duffy is just calamitous.

“Every time he gets the ball Celtic fans have got their heart in their mouth with him because he can’t pass it, he certainly can’t defend at the moment and his confidence must be shot.”

He was exactly what Celtic were needing
Was he? Weren't they in the market for a ball playing centre half? Getting in someone who is more a siege defender i.e. just heid & hoof it, just shows their recruitment is all over the place. But he's a provo loving inbred, 3 toothed mononbrowed mentally challenged bastard so the scum took them instantly to their hearts :rolleyes:

Duffy must be wondering what kind of football club he's joined. If he didn't already.

They're like a pack of fucking hyenas all over him. They deserve it. Even the cloven hoofed manager is having a go at everyone now from Charlie Ridiculous to Maurice Ross. Who next the fat boy Commons? It's truly wonderful.

Said at the time of his last name wasn’t Duffy they wouldn’t have bothered about signing him. He has made a few Shocking mistakes but their full back line has been terrible. Long may it continue

When they went for him I thought he'd be a decent signing for them. He looked solid enough in games id seen him for Blackburn prior to his move to brighton. Seemed pretty steady for Brighton too on the occasions I had watched in the premier League . For them though he moves like my dad playing fetch with the dog, and Long may it continue.
He reminds me of some of the centre backs we had under Warburton and Pedro . Take an eternity to turn and move like they are towing a caravan.

Was he? Weren't they in the market for a ball playing centre half? Getting in someone who is more a siege defender i.e. just heid & hoof it, just shows their recruitment is all over the place. But he's a provo loving inbred, 3 toothed mononbrowed mentally challenged bastard so the scum took them instantly to their hearts :rolleyes:

They never learn. Remember when they were falling over themselves to get rid of Strachan and bring in a sellik minded man like morbray? That worked out well.

When they went for him I thought he'd be a decent signing for them. He looked solid enough in games id seen him for Blackburn prior to his move to brighton. Seemed pretty steady for Brighton too on the occasions I had watched in the premier League . For them though he moves like my dad playing fetch with the dog, and Long may it continue.
He reminds me of some of the centre backs we had under Warburton and Pedro . Take an eternity to turn and move like they are towing a caravan.

He is suited to back to the wall defending and heading balls clear. Bringing the ball out, building up play as we have seen so far isn’t his thing.

It was a lazy unimagitive signing from Lennon and long may he continue to struggle

Which deadbeat mentally challenged will be wheeled out next to call their players pish? This is absolutely brilliant, big rebel c.unt thought he was coming up here for a wee holiday and to soak in the adulation of his fellow mutants but instead he's been exposed for the shitebag carthorse he is and the sound of knife-sharpening is deafening.

Well done, Tam. That'll do his confidence the world of good, keep it up . Lennon's gonna have more people to go after. What's that - Charlie Nicholas, Mo Ross, now Tam and Commons. The poor guy won't be able to concentrate on his tactics board, shape and intensity at this rate. The stress must be getting to him

Remember the poster on here calling Duffy a fearless warrior, or something similarly boak inducing, when he signed?

Hope he's got off his knees by now.
I always think of the “last piece in the jigsaw“ crew on here when a Duffy thread pops up on here. :)) :)) :))

I'm actually starting to feel just a wee bit sorry for Duffy. I don't think I can ever recall as many players/ex-players lining up to openly slate a current player... ever!
The open abuse he has taken is quite breathtaking to be honest. Five weeks ago they were calling up phone ins and referring to him as God and now he is persona non grata. Their fanboys in the media are taking the same approach.
It just shows you how much they are feeling the pressure.

They are rabid bastards who thought all they had to do was turn up to win the league this season

Now we have turned up they are seeing how shite they are and believed the mhedia hype telling them how wonderful their team is.

Duffy is costing a fortune and he looks utter garbage. Hope he keeps playing like this

If we can win on Sunday v Killie they have a few tough away games so the pressure will be on them

Our focus is on us winning as that makes them even more concerned

To be fair, I can remember there were many posters on here that highlighted he wouldn't suit their style of play whatsoever as he is a backs to wall defender and would really struggle in a team with high possession.

Would be interesting to bump that massive thread when they were first linked with him, it would show up a good few drama queens.

Last edited:
Back