Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

This is a very interesting response. I suspect that most people on here, like me, don't have the background to understand fully the complexities and the cost of bringing a civil case such as this.

Essentially, as I understand it, there is a part of the civil case which concerns abuse perpetrated at CBC. However, as CBC has no money, there is no point going to court unless an unbreakable link is established between CBC and CFC (who do have money).

There could be another part which involves abuse by a Celtic employee and on Celtic premises. Presumably that one could go ahead assuming there is a victim who so desires and the evidence of corporate wrongdoing is there.

I appreciate that some victims just want their day in court. However, that day can be very expensive and especially when you are up against a well funded corporate opponent. So the money has to come from somewhere and if the victims don't have it then the case cannot go forward.

All of us on here believe that CBC and CFC were inextricably linked. But having that belief and proving the link in court are two different things. CFC obviously believe that they can win an argument that they were not. Lawyer's for the victims will have to move very cautiously, carefully and systematically in order to build a robust case that they were. That takes time.
This is a very interesting response. I suspect that most people on here, like me, don't have the background to understand fully the complexities and the cost of bringing a civil case such as this.

Essentially, as I understand it, there is a part of the civil case which concerns abuse perpetrated at CBC. However, as CBC has no money, there is no point going to court unless an unbreakable link is established between CBC and CFC (who do have money).

There could be another part which involves abuse by a Celtic employee and on Celtic premises. Presumably that one could go ahead assuming there is a victim who so desires and the evidence of corporate wrongdoing is there.

I appreciate that some victims just want their day in court. However, that day can be very expensive and especially when you are up against a well funded corporate opponent. So the money has to come from somewhere and if the victims don't have it then the case cannot go forward.

All of us on here believe that CBC and CFC were inextricably linked. But having that belief and proving the link in court are two different things. CFC obviously believe that they can win an argument that they were not. Lawyer's for the victims will have to move very cautiously, carefully and systematically in order to build a robust case that they were. That takes time.

Hillheadbear; I will PM you later too detail it for you, not for open forum mate.
been up all night watching Boxing & need a snooze.;)

I think that there a quite a few guys on here now that are giving much of their spare time with emails etc to Sponsors and Partners of this rancid organization called Celtic Football Club. Hopefully the more they get at some point they will act on it. We need to keep this pressure up on them for the next few months when hopefully that documentary will be shown Sept/Oct time.

"jf1960; Aw feck, if the Documentary is on in October, bet its during the week I will be in spain from 17th October:mad: More importantly, the film "Spotlight" is on
BBC 2 @ 22:45 tonite. Exposing the Roman Catholic Church's cover-up of child sex
abuse by priests, by dogged reporters from the Boston Globe.:eek::mad:

"jf1960; Aw feck, if the Documentary is on in October, bet its during the week I will be in spain from 17th October:mad: More importantly, the film "Spotlight" is on
BBC 2 @ 22:45 tonite. Exposing the Roman Catholic Church's cover-up of child sex

It’s a national scandal like you say yardie. The disgrace of a nationalist government have to be brought to justice. Not only Celtic. I will not give up until humza is out of office. He will resign imo in the future. But he can’t get away with what he has failed to do. I class him as a criminal. Let me reiterate that comment. He is a criminal. Along with police Scotland they have to answer questions. Not only on the subject of the families. The effigies also.
We can bring murderers and rapists to justice no matter how long it takes. But they can lose evidence of effigies in the piggery and can’t trace the culprits?
Football stadiums are in this day and age covered with cctv worldwide. The only reason the effigies situation has been covered up imo is there must be a person of interest involved.

I've stated on here previously BlueNose94 that the person involved in the losing(sic)of evidence is well up the tree and therefore hidden and protected inside the p.f's offices

Great film & worth a watch in its own right, never mind the link to this thread.

I done a bit of research on digital cleansing, here is what cnet said about it

"To stop wrong 'uns attempting to whitewash their past, Google pledges to consider "whether there's a public interest in the information -- for example, information about financial scams, professional malpractice, criminal convictions or public conduct of government officials."

Now that to me makes any cleansing of information about child sexual abuse against their own policies.

Next step is to find out whether it is possible to find out who requested the removal of articles and their reasons for doing so.

great point and idea @Humbug

I’m having a wild stab in the dark but I believe what answers you seek lie not far from the door of Murdoch MacLennan.

A man with the connections and savy that individually or collectively knows how to do this and the capabilities imo.

We need to pressure those buddy like you says!

An absolute brilliant suggestion, there's been amazing worthy women winning that award but there's also been some amount charlatan bints nominated to make up numbers. Mrs Gray should be recognised. To think every year we hear more millions are spent on the Madiline McCann family but the Gray family and others are shooshed away.
Maybe if one of the guys who are in touch with the grey family can suggest it to Mrs grey then we can get the ball rolling if she agrees to it. I'm not sure how we'd go about it but where there's a will there's a way

One of the lines from the film that should be heeded by our journalists and politicians is that when the story breaks you don't want to be on the wrong side of it.

Cancel the holiday willbear :oops:

Spotlight,operation yewtree,every other means to bring this mob to justice is welcome!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...B0E6589C9D48D1C6527DB0E6589C9D48&&FORM=VDRVRV

Let's keep shining the torch on them.The more they try to suppress their sickness the more we will fight them.

Been watching and reading a few of 'Just Cat' and feel should be shared far and wide her excellent work.
That video shows how much of a cover up this is. I stated at the beginning that we'll now witness the cover up of the cover up. It's frightening what is going on in Scottish society and what has been going on with these monsters. The video you have posted deserves a wider audience and hopefully will awaken people to what is actually going on.

#celticknew,
Question,,,,,,Who would re-employ a convicted child molester?
Answer..... A club like no other
Celtic never re-employed him after he was convicted.
He was thrown out by Jock Stein(who knew) he then returned around 1978 after Stein had left. He was not first convicted until 1999.
I believe that someone is working on a timeline of individuals and events. It can't come soon enough.

Again, factually incorrect.

There is no record in existence of McNeil ever having said that it was an open secret. None.

Hugh Birt may have said it, but McNeil certainly never.
One night before the big walk, I couldn't sleep, so came downstairs and pissed about on the computer, I read the court transcripts of the Torbett case an I could've swore I read McNeil say that, I have since been unable to find those transcripts after several searches though.

they should be put under a transfer embargo till this is sorted. How can the sfa allow the mentally challengeds to buy players when they have recruited a PR company to mitigate their paedo troubles and have an alleged internal investigation into paedo activities?
That solicitor should go to court to ringfence £30m of Celtics money for the victims that have come forward, that would curtail their spending and put this story in the eyes of the world, they couldn't possibly clamp that in the media.

He was thrown out by Jock Stein(who knew) he then returned around 1978 after Stein had left. He was not first convicted until 1999.
I believe that someone is working on a timeline of individuals and events. It can't come soon enough.

Wasnt there a pic with him and stein at an official function after the so called booting out

Just watched that video,feel as if a could boak,tae think those kind of people are mostly alive and well,and guess what,those feckers in the east end are highly complicit in this along wae salmond another whose worth a watching along with henry and the list goes on,its what we don't know that scares me,those barstards are snaking about everywhere,probably 1 or2 close by.

The more I think about this, the angrier I get.

We live an a developed country. We are pushing boundaries on many fronts.

But we also live in a country where high up politicians, police officers and established newspapers are doing all they can to bury 50 years of child abuse.

The thing that gets me is that it isn’t one guy in the police, one guy in the government and one at each news paper, it’s a substantial group of influential people conspiring against the public and abused people and children.

The more I think about this, the angrier I get.

We live an a developed country. We are pushing boundaries on many fronts.

But we also live in a country where high up politicians, police officers and established newspapers are doing all they can to bury 50 years of child abuse.

The thing that gets me is that it isn’t one guy in the police, one guy in the government and one at each news paper, it’s a substantial group of influential people conspiring against the public and abused people and children.
Totally agree @Papasmurf. This is bigger than a lot of us think imo. I think the next few months will be pivotal though. The Times look as if they are now on a mission and we seem to be getting headlines nearly everyday now. Also with this documentary in the process of being produced then things look like they are heading in the right direction.
Like I said though I do think there will be a lot more to come out that we don’t even know yet.

That video posted needs sent to the research team of Dan Gordon,it’s chilling as much as astonishing it is IF even a fraction of its true.

It does seem well documented and researched who is this person?? Can they be contacted??

That's absolutely spot on Big Man.

Though in a sense they did continue to "employ" him through his Trophy Centre business with his partners in crime, Kelly & McGinn.

Very important we get our facts right.

Aw feck, if the Documentary is on in October, bet its during the week I will be in spain from 17th October:mad: More importantly, the film "Spotlight" is on

Thanks for the heads-up on Spotlight tonight. Definitely one not to be missed.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...B0E6589C9D48D1C6527DB0E6589C9D48&&FORM=VDRVRV

Let's keep shining the torch on them.The more they try to suppress their sickness the more we will fight them.

Been watching and reading a few of 'Just Cat' and feel should be shared far and wide her excellent work.
Brilliant stuff makes me proud to be a bear, i amnot keeping to good at the moment on lots of meds which give me a short attention span, so i have taken to commenting on various news papers and and articles that have the remotest sniff of deviancy and pointing out Celtic Boys Clubs activity i am carefull with my words, sometimes it is hard to bring in the name of The Celtic Boys Club to comments directed towards the Iranian tanker situation, but i do however ridiculous or strenuous the link,( poor anthony stokes where would he like to be now), thats ma wee bit towards helping child abuse victims, i salute all the guys out there, who are moving mountains to have the light of justice shone on the vermin and enablers who and whatever they are, and the more i read on this subject it has become apparent to me that those responsible,are like people on a slowly sinking lifeboat, surounded by sharks no water no food no rescue insight, start getting rid of the dead bodies hoping somehow the sharks will go away, thats where we are with them at the moment,the bodies in the water only attract other sharks which will in turn will be a feeding frenzy, when this corrupt gov in Scotland, perhaps the next one will do more and cast an eye on religoius groups Like Opus Dei, Knichts of Columba,AooH and the rest, it is not as if they walk about in public for all to see they lurk in the shadows sorrymate that ended up a rant

One night before the big walk, I couldn't sleep, so came downstairs and pissed about on the computer, I read the court transcripts of the Torbett case an I could've swore I read McNeil say that, I have since been unable to find those transcripts after several searches though.

I’ve read online that he made the statement in the ET of 13 November 1998. There is a site online with archived ETs , trying to find it.

Brilliant stuff makes me proud to be a bear, i amnot keeping to good at the moment on lots of meds which give me a short attention span, so i have taken to commenting on various news papers and and articles that have the remotest sniff of deviancy and pointing out Celtic Boys Clubs activity i am carefull with my words, sometimes it is hard to bring in the name of The Celtic Boys Club to comments directed towards the Iranian tanker situation, but i do however ridiculous or strenuous the link,( poor anthony stokes where would he like to be now), thats ma wee bit towards helping child abuse victims, i salute all the guys out there, who are moving mountains to have the light of justice shone on the vermin and enablers who and whatever they are, and the more i read on this subject it has become apparent to me that those responsible,are like people on a slowly sinking lifeboat, surounded by sharks no water no food no rescue insight, start getting rid of the dead bodies hoping somehow the sharks will go away, thats where we are with them at the moment,the bodies in the water only attract other sharks which will in turn will be a feeding frenzy, when this corrupt gov in Scotland, perhaps the next one will do more and cast an eye on religoius groups Like Opus Dei, Knichts of Columba,AooH and the rest, it is not as if they walk about in public for all to see they lurk in the shadows sorrymate that ended up a rant

Credit to yourself buddy,you may not be keeping to well atm but you find the time and effort to do your part like others and do your bit for justice,fair play indeed friend.

Hope you feel better down the line and like you so proud to be part of the Bear family.

I’ve read online that he made the statement in the ET of 13 November 1998. There is a site online with archived ETs , trying to find it.
Don't think he said it if I'm honest seems that part of the transcript was added at a later date although would be delighted if proved wrong

That is correct mate. I think the confusion on this point arises due to the fact that he did, indeed, go back after being turfed out by Stein plus the very significant fact that Celtic Football Club made 4 x £250k payments to the Trophy Centre in the 4 years AFTER Torbett was convicted in 1999.

Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Here’s another good site I’d forgot about

Friday, November 23, 2007
If You Know Their History
The Internet's No.1 database of Media reports relating to Celtic Football Club

Pervert preyed on Celtic Boys Daily

by Anna Smith Charles Beaton and Iain Ferguson

Pervert football boss Jim Torbett terrorised a generation of young Celtic players. The trusted team chief lured innocent lads with promises of the big time. Then the Celtic Boys' Club supremo molested the babes who idolised him.

Depraved Torbett, 50, is still a major figure in the Parkhead talent nursery. Today three of his victims -including Scotland cap Alan Brazil -break their silence. Brazil, 37, said: "Torbett should be locked up. "He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near boys' teams." Sex abuse allegations have haunted Celtic Boys' Club for almost a quarter of a century

A Record investigation has revealed Celtic's board knew about the rumours 20 years ago. Only Jock Stein was big enough to show Torbett the door. And after the legend died, the pervert wormed his way back into the good books.

Today, Torbett is a respected senior official of the boys' club. His Trophy Centre shops sponsor the league Celtic boys play in, and provide Celtic FC with most of their medals and awards. He also helped raise cash for the Celtic Charity Fund. And he has a regular seat in the Parkhead directors' box as guest of his pal, past chairman Kevin Kelly.

Bachelor Torbett lured Celtic kids to his council flat with ice-cream and fancy meals. He also took them on glamorous foreign tours. Then he used them as sex toys, in return for a promise of glory.

John McCluskey, brother of Parkhead star George, was one of Torbett's victims. He said: "All I ever dreamed of was to play for Celtic. But Torbett turned that dream into a memory that will haunt me until I die. "My shame is not for what happened, but for keeping it quiet so long."

Last night, Parkhead supremo Fergus McCann promised to personally investigate the scandal. He has already spoken to some of the victims. He even called in police, who found nothing. In a statement, McCann said: "These are very serious allegations, and those concerned should report all information to police. "I would like to make it clear that this matter has no current link to Celtic Football Club. "I have nothing to say on the past board's handling of the matter."

Celtic Boys' Club chairman Tony McGuiness said he would call for an immediate special general meeting to probe the claims. He said: "I asked Jim about the allegations, and he assured me he would never do anything to harm the club. "He is still connected with the club, although he is not a regular attender at meetings. "I have heard rumours and counter-rumours over the years against several people, and I recently helped police with certain inquiries." At his home in Glasgow's west end, Torbett said: "I have nothing to say on the matter."

If You Know Their History at 2:36 AM

Links to this post

Create a Link

MBER 23, 2007

Celtic Sex fiend left me weeping in Norway

by Anna Smith

At just 13, he was Celtic's youngest-ever signing and hailed as Scotland's greatest prospect. But John McCluskey's dreams of stardom were tarnished by Jim Torbett. The innocent lad was used for tawdry sex by the manager during a boys' club trip to Norway. And, when Torbett had fulfilled his sick obsession, he left his victim alone, confused and crying.

John, the brother of Parkhead favourite George McCluskey, spoke yesterday of the agony he has felt for 23 years. Near tears, he said: "My guilt and shame now is not for what happened that night. My shame is that I waited 23 years to do anything about it. "Dunblane was the one thing that made me come forward. If some of the boys abused by Thomas Hamilton had spoken out, perhaps the massacre might not have happened." Striker John was destined to be a Celtic great. At 12, he so impressed Jock Stein that he was promised a place on the ground staff as soon as he left school. A key player at Celtic Boys' Club, John's Lanarkshire home was littered with trophies and medals. But one Best Player trophy fills him with revulsion each time he looks at it. It was given him after the awful night in Norway that changed his life forever. John said: "Every time I look at that trophy, I wonder if I got it because of what Torbett did to me. "I've always felt like throwing it in a river. But, if I had, I'd have had to tell everyone what happened." Tears fill John's eyes as he relives the nightmare. He said: "We were lying in a dormitory talking about football -the usual stuff. "Torbett was sleeping in the dorm and shouted, `Fryer' -my nickname -`go in that room and sort the strips for tomorrow'. "But, when I went in, the strips were already sorted. "Torbett followed me in and sat me down on the bed. He put his hand inside my pyjamas and fondled me. "I was terrified. I didn't know what to do. I just sat there and let him do it to me. "When I think of it now it makes me sick. "He left, and I cried my eyes out. I didn't want to go back among the boys and I didn't want to be by myself. I was so frightened. "Eventually I went back to bed and pulled the covers over my head. "I didn't know what to think. I thought there must be something wrong with me and I must have enjoyed it, otherwise I wouldn't have let him do it to me. "So I was terrified to complain to anyone."

John had been on other foreign trips with the boys' club. But he came back from Norway a different person. He said: "Everything had changed. But I was still determined to be a great player. "I trained hard and played really well. I don't know how, but I was able to concentrate on my game." But he stayed away from Torbett. He said: "A crowd of boys used to go to his home all the time. I went once, and that was enough for me. "I saw him beat up a lad who played with the boys' club, but was about 17 and seemed to live with him. "I was horrified to see him slapping his face and punching him, yet the boy did nothing to stop him. "There was always talk around Celtic about Torbett and boys, but nothing seemed to be done until Jock Stein found out. "He kicked Torbett out, but it was still kept quiet. "All the directors and lots of others knew why Torbett got the boot, but it was swept under the carpet."

John soon became a young Scottish hero, scoring the winner against England at Wembley in a 1975 schoolboy international. All eyes were on the boy who was to be the new Kenny Dalglish. But, two years later, a kick in training caused a blood clot on his leg that destroyed his career. John made a brief comeback, playing with Celtic's first team in a European tie when he was still 17. But his injury recurred, and he hasn't played since. For nearly 20 years, he has watched former team-mates grab the trophies as his life has become a tragic tale of booze and disappointment. John, who now hasn't touched a drop in four years, reckons his injury helped push him into drinking. But he is sure his biggest reason was to blot out the memory of Torbett's abuse. He said: "I started drinking after Norway. Suddenly it looked like something I wanted to do. "I was drinking heavily from 17. It was the only way to forget what Torbett did. "I was shattered that my career had finished. But I could have lived with that if it hadn't been for Norway. "I'm so glad I don't have sons. I would have wanted to send them to Celtic Boys Club, but I would always have wondered if some pervert was abusing them. "It took me a long time to come to terms with what happened and understand it wasn't my fault. "But there are still days when I suddenly find myself in tears. "Nobody should get away with what Torbett did. How many more boys have suffered because of him? "I still love Celtic. I go to Parkhead every week and I'll be a Celtic man until I die. "I only hope real Celtic fans will understand why I have come forward. If I can help stop this happening to one more boy, it will have been worthwhile."

TORBETT PLEADED AS HIS VICTIM SOBBED A few days ago, John got a chilling phone call from Torbett pleading his innocence. It came after John made a sworn statement about the pervert to Celtic's lawyers, in the presence of club supremo Fergus McCann. John said: "I didn't even tell my brother George about Torbett until last week. "He was furious and wanted to do something about it. I told him to leave it, that I was coping fine. "But, when he left the house, I just burst into tears. "While I was crying, the phone rang. It was Torbett. "He said: `What are you doing to me, son?' "I told him it was what he did to me that was the problem. "He said:`You know I never touched you, son. You know I loved you, and your family.' "I was sick, just listening to him. "I told him that I hadn't gone to the police or the newspapers and he said, `I appreciate that, son'."

John told how a visit from the police, who were investigating sex abuse allegations at Celtic Boys' Club dating back four years, finally made him come forward. He said: "The police were asking about someone else. "I thought they wanted to talk about Torbett, but they didn't, so I didn't tell them my story. "I spoke to Tommy Burns about it instead. He got me to make a statement to Fergus McCann who asked me to make a statement to their lawyers. "I have now done that. I will also make a statement to the police." If you are a victim of sexual abuse at Celtic Boys' Club we want to talk to you. Please call us on 0141-242-3409 or 3325.
You might also like:
Mark Walters Rangers debut at racist Celtic Park

BURNLEY FC; CELTIC FANS SHAME

Celtic hero guilty of match-fixing

POSTED BY IF YOU KNOW THEIR HISTORY AT 2:37 AM
REACTIONS:

EMAIL THISBLOGTHIS!SHARE TO TWITTERSHARE TO FACEBOOKSHARE TO PINTEREST

LINKS TO THIS POST

what is becoming more and more evident, is that its now clear to us all that no matter how they try to spin this, their hiring of crisis pr companies and their apologists in the media and social media,they just cannot put a lid on this,it is now spiralling way out of their control to suppress this, every couple of days comes another knife into their rancid bellys,

if there was no link between CBC and CFC then there would be no crisis and no crisis pr team needed. its as simple as that

Back