Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Maybe I am just feeling a bit fragile today as I have other issues in my life at the moment, but how can people act like this ? Horrible world we live in. What kind of religion makes you think like this. With me, its, you have to do the correct thing in life, even if it was a member your own family who was guilty, you cant defend that. Honestly feel sick with this shite

Last edited:
So was Cassidy the editor in question?

Guardian reports on him not to flattering. Big fall out with SDM over John Greig’s treatment. So he’d print about Big John being a daftie but not Big Jock Knowing?

Not sure when the Record actually ran the story, but for sure in was a subject in the season they played ay Hampden.

Last edited:
Maybe I am just feeling a bit fragile today as I have other issues in my life at the moment, but how can people act like this ? Horrible world we live in. What kind of religion makes you think like this. With me, its, you have to do the correct thing in life, even if it was a member your own family who was guilty, you cant defend that. Honestly feel sick with this shite

Your not alone my friend it affects my health too. If it doesnt affect people ide say there would be a real problem!

Here is a list of former Editors of the Sunday mail , freely available from, wiki,
Editors[edit]
1973: Clive Sandground[9]1981: Endell Laird[10]1988: Noel Young[11]1991: Jim Cassidy[3]1999: Peter Cox[12]2000: Allan Rennie[13]2009: Jim Wilson[14]2016: Brendan McGinty[15] i

This is when charles lavery worked there taken from his own Linked in page once again freely available to the public, if any one can get some thing out this good,
Chief Reporter
Company Name
Trinity Mirror plc
Dates EmployedApr 1994 – Jun 2010
Employment Duration16 yrs 3 mos
LocationSunday Mail

Chief Reporter with Scotland's biggest selling newspaper.
so Charles Lavery Joined the paper when Jim Cassidy was Editorduring Laverys time there were Jim Cassidy ,Peter Cox,Alan Rennie, Jim Wilson then took over, and Charles Lavery left the following year, dont know if this helps any one,

Last edited:
In respect of the “separate entity” argument, has anyone ever challenged them on any payments made from Celtic FC to Celtic Boys Club as part of the transformation into St Patrick’s Boys Club

in addition what stipulations were made regarding the use of anything remotely linking Celtic FC to St Patrick’s Boys Club, such as strips etc to allow this payment?

it’s widely thought in Boys Club circles that Celtic paid £70k to facilitate this change. Why would a separate entity, with no responsibility make such a payment and why overnight was this Boys Club banned from holding monthly meetings, functions etc at Celtic Park?
Charlie Nicholas, Paul McStay, Peter Grant amongst many others were all products of and promoted to the first team from Celtic B.C. now, unless there is a payment for these players to prove that Septic FC paid the Boys Club for their signature, then I reckon that alone will blow the separate entity pish out the water immediately.

Charlie Nicholas, Paul McStay, Peter Grant amongst many others were all products of and promoted to the first team from Celtic B.C. now, unless there is a payment for these players to prove that Septic FC paid the Boys Club for their signature, then I reckon that alone will blow the separate entity pish out the water immediately.

Paul mcstay eh? That the guy who asked the fans to crowd fund the publication of his book and it never came to light? Yet they fund melts like larkin who make documentaries on conspiracy theories

Lavery’s LinkedIn says he was at the mail between the years of April 1994 and June 2010. Narrow downs @Delboy s list to:
1991: Jim Cassidy[3]1999: Peter Cox[12]2000: Allan Rennie[13]2009: Jim Wilson[14]
Now realistically, it probably wasn’t Jim Wilson as he was only there for a year whilst Lavery was there. Hmmm, Cox only being there for a year is a bit weird, will do a bit of digging to see if his departure was controversial.
EDIT: Can’t find anything on Cox, but have managed to find a blog by the Hag where she complains about Cox calling Celtic players thieves (https://angelahaggerty.com/the-scottish-sun-thugs-n-thieves-and-a-better-standard-of-journalism/) , would someone reluctant to paint Celtic in a bad light write this? Not sure.

Last edited:
So was Cassidy the editor in question?

Guardian reports on him not to flattering. Big fall out with SDM over John Greig’s treatment. So he’d print about Big John being a daftie but not Big Jock Knowing?

Looks like it was him mate.

From the Celticwiki :

Reference to Mark Daly’s programme and a page on the BBC website

Torbett had two stints at the Boys' Club, the first from 1966-1974. He returned to the Boy's Club around 1980 and stayed until a series of Daily Record stories revealed abuse claims against him in 1996.

I have also noted a reference to August 1996 being mentioned on the Rangers Media forum (Google search)

From the Celticwiki :

Reference to Mark Daly’s programme and a page on the BBC website

Torbett had two stints at the Boys' Club, the first from 1966-1974. He returned to the Boy's Club around 1980 and stayed until a series of Daily Record stories revealed abuse claims against him in 1996.
This time scale narrows it down to Cassidy. Does anyone know if he is still alive

Last edited:
Now realistically, it probably wasn’t Jim Wilson as he was only there for a year whilst Lavery was there. Hmmm, Cox only being there for a year is a bit weird, will do a bit of digging to see if his departure was controversial.
EDIT: Can’t find anything on Cox, but have managed to find a blog by the Hag where she complains about Cox calling Celtic players thieves (https://angelahaggerty.com/the-scottish-sun-thugs-n-thieves-and-a-better-standard-of-journalism/) , would someone reluctant to paint Celtic in a bad light write this? Not sure.
I thought it was the record that came Out with the story, unless the 2 of them went with it , i lifted this of of one of their sites Celtic wiki

I thought it was the record that came Out with the story, unless the 2 of them went with it , i lifted this of of one of their sites Celtic wiki

Cox was the editor at the record during the years 2000-2003. He is now in his words :
Managing Director, the-editors.co.uk
Self-employed
Nov 2013 – Present6 years 5 months
UK
I run a PR, crisis management and media training company together with my partner Bob Bird.
Our USP is our solid national newspaper background. Combined, we have edited all four of the biggest-selling newspaper in Scotland.
I run a PR, crisis management and media training company together with my partner Bob Bird.
Our USP is our solid national newspaper background. Combined, we have edited all four of the biggest-selling newspaper in Scotland.

Almost certainly Jim Cassidy. Guess who he supported?

The Editor of Scotland's top selling Sunday Newspaper suppressing the biggest child sex abuse scandal in sporting history because his beloved team were culpable.
A relation to Terry cassidy perhaps?
Terry cassidy the first chief executive of the manky mob who turned over 1.6 million in his first year at the Irish Times and had previously worked at the evening Times and Glasgow herald?

Back