Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

indianabluenose

Children’s tsar says clubs exploit young footballers

Scotland’s children’s commissioner has accused football clubs of exploiting youngsters and using them as financial assets in transfer deals.
Bruce Adamson will write to ministers and register his “disgust” at the practices in youth football, three years after his predecessor said that urgent action was required. In 2016 Tam Baillie demanded a crackdown after Celtic fielded Karamoko Dembélé in an under-20s match at the age of 13.

He said: “There is a real concern about the imbalance of power between business and children . . . there is restrictions on movement and they are seen as assets. Children don’t have the same political or economic power as adults so there is an inherent imbalance, and when you start to include the commercial interests related to football, and the power that they have, that imbalance becomes even more prominent.”
Mr Adamson said that children wanting to become professional footballers were “open to economic exploitation and the risk of harm”.

Johann Lamont, a Labour MSP, said: “Young people are manipulated. They’re financially exploited, vulnerable. There are cases of abuse where young people have talked about that power relationship and what the footballing coach can do to you, and what that meant for your dreams.

The Scottish government said that it was waiting for the committee’s report on the issue “and will consider its findings carefully”.

indianabluenose

Children’s tsar says clubs exploit young footballers

Scotland’s children’s commissioner has accused football clubs of exploiting youngsters and using them as financial assets in transfer deals.
Bruce Adamson will write to ministers and register his “disgust” at the practices in youth football, three years after his predecessor said that urgent action was required. In 2016 Tam Baillie demanded a crackdown after Celtic fielded Karamoko Dembélé in an under-20s match at the age of 13.

He said: “There is a real concern about the imbalance of power between business and children . . . there is restrictions on movement and they are seen as assets. Children don’t have the same political or economic power as adults so there is an inherent imbalance, and when you start to include the commercial interests related to football, and the power that they have, that imbalance becomes even more prominent.”
Mr Adamson said that children wanting to become professional footballers were “open to economic exploitation and the risk of harm”.

Johann Lamont, a Labour MSP, said: “Young people are manipulated. They’re financially exploited, vulnerable. There are cases of abuse where young people have talked about that power relationship and what the footballing coach can do to you, and what that meant for your dreams.

The Scottish government said that it was waiting for the committee’s report on the issue “and will consider its findings carefully”.
They do not mention sexual abuse in the article but a lot of the same dynamics at play. If this issue is brought up it the Scottish Parliament it could be an opportunity.

Heedbanger

The only way to screw the republican vote as you say is to vote tactically in marginal constituencies, which mine is (450 votes in Inverclyde) and that would mean me voting Labour to oust the SNP which I really cant stomach so for me like others on here I am stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea, I will be sticking to my guns in the hope that the tory vote increases as I think the tories will be the only party to tackle this disgusting thing head on, hopefully these cases come to the fore sooner rather than later.
I am thinking they got so many of their own in politics because they are joining the parties at local level and get to vote in party elections to elect who stands for MP (MSP) councillor, this would certainly explain why so many of them are in those positions.

Perhaps we need to try and do the same.

Might be easier and take less people to influence an election for who stands for each party in that constituancy than to influence the actual elections.

Gogso

I can not believe the Scottish Tories are not all over this like a rash.The general public probably know very little about the abuse at Celtic Park. When they do it will be a massive vote winner for the Tories. Am I missing something here?
I don't live in Glasgow but surely the local Conservitive Assoc would welcome our involvement on match days.
Any one been in touch? with them?

Blues and Royals

I can not believe the Scottish Tories are not all over this like a rash.The general public probably know very little about the abuse at Celtic Park. When they do it will be a massive vote winner for the Tories. Am I missing something here?
I was talking to a Hibs fan who detests the SNP and any mention of independence and he genuinely didn’t know anything of the Celtic abuse case when I brought it up.

tazzabear

The must know plenty about the abuse by now.
It’s been in every paper.
What they don’t know about is how the victims have been treated, the separate entity fiasco, the lack of a will for an inquiry, the reasoning why there is that lack of will, the lack of condemnation for and of this from the country’s government, more so from Sturgeon and Yousaf, the scandal of the two year internal investigation by one entity into another, apparently.
(If the purpose of this was anything other than to ensure all links to septic could be quashed, I’m a Dutchman).
And, second most importantly, this recent proposal of cash for silence.
Get this information out in the open, especially regarding the victims and they proposed pay-offs, and I’m sure we’ll see a major change of opinion and influence on this.

BlueNose94

What they don’t know about is how the victims have been treated, the separate entity fiasco, the lack of a will for an inquiry, the reasoning why there is that lack of will, the lack of condemnation for and of this from the country’s government, more so from Sturgeon and Yousaf, the scandal of the two year internal investigation by one entity into another, apparently.
(If the purpose of this was anything other than to ensure all links to septic could be quashed, I’m a Dutchman).
Get this information out in the open, especially regarding the victims and they proposed pay-offs, and I’m sure we’ll see a major change of opinion and influence on this.
Like Celtic, Humza and sturgeon want nothing more than for this to go away. We will not let that happen. The “cash for silence” proposal, I think a few victims may possibly take this offer as you’ll appreciate each individual case will be different.

We have to remember that some victims will want closure. The situation for them has dragged on for years. I personally hope that no victim takes up this offer as it’s an insult imo.

When the documentary is aired then I believe this country will wake up to what’s gone on at that disgusting excuse for a football club. Not only this country but the whole football world will see for themselves what Celtic have covered up.

In the meantime we are doing everything we can to bring this to light. To get people to stand up and notice. One thing that we have learnt on this issue especially, is we have to rid our country of the SNP. Votes before justice is their policy and a vision of a republic of Scotland.

Nothing will get in the way of their independence idea. They need the republican vote to do so and that’s why there has been no inquiry into Celtic Football Club. We need to fight that and defeat it.

tazzabear

Like Celtic, Humza and sturgeon want nothing more than for this to go away. We will not let that happen. The “cash for silence” proposal, I think a few victims may possibly take this offer as you’ll appreciate each individual case will be different.

We have to remember that some victims will want closure. The situation for them has dragged on for years. I personally hope that no victim takes up this offer as it’s an insult imo.

When the documentary is aired then I believe this country will wake up to what’s gone on at that disgusting excuse for a football club. Not only this country but the whole football world will see for themselves what Celtic have covered up.

In the meantime we are doing everything we can to bring this to light. To get people to stand up and notice. One thing that we have learnt on this issue especially, is we have to rid our country of the SNP. Votes before justice is their policy and a vision of a republic of Scotland.

Nothing will get in the way of their independence idea. They need the republican vote to do so and that’s why there has been no inquiry into Celtic Football Club. We need to fight that and defeat it.
I’m glad of this.
The victims deserve better than this proposal.
The taxpayers deserve better than this proposal!

allrightfeet

The only way to screw the republican vote as you say is to vote tactically in marginal constituencies, which mine is (450 votes in Inverclyde) and that would mean me voting Labour to oust the SNP which I really cant stomach so for me like others on here I am stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea, I will be sticking to my guns in the hope that the tory vote increases as I think the tories will be the only party to tackle this disgusting thing head on, hopefully these cases come to the fore sooner rather than later.
Not wishing to deflect from the main issue , but since reading your post, I have been surprised by the number of Bears that I have met in Inverclyde who intend to vote for Labour to get the SNP out. Like you it sticks in my throat to vote Labour but, realistically, the tories are so far down the pecking order that they will not take the seat. labour won't win the election and to do damage to SNP/Sinnfein, I am going to bite the bullet.

Ballymena Bear

Not wishing to deflect from the main issue , but since reading your post, I have been surprised by the number of Bears that I have met in Inverclyde who intend to vote for Labour to get the SNP out. Like you it sticks in my throat to vote Labour but, realistically, the tories are so far down the pecking order that they will not take the seat. labour won't win the election and to do damage to SNP/Sinnfein, I am going to bite the bullet.
Labour are close to being as bad but not just as bad yet. Very lucky I don’t have to at tactical vote - DUP with a healthy majority

Bluechip

A small percentage of the population read newspapers

BlueNose94

As you will see below, the cost of this is staggering. Yet John Swinney finds it appropriate that the Scottish taxpayer should pay for Celtic’s crimes.

Dorrans

As you will see below, the cost of this is staggering. Yet John Swinney finds it appropriate that the Scottish taxpayer should pay for Celtic’s crimes.

Can't read the full article but it'd be interesting to know who it is that has challenged the costs? Presumably they would also be concerned by the timeline (not reporting till 2022) and terms of reference?

BlueNose94

Can't read the full article but it'd be interesting to know who it is that has challenged the costs? Presumably they would also be concerned by the timeline (not reporting till 2022) and terms of reference?
Apologies if you couldn’t read the full article above on my last post. Full article below.

Scotland’s inquiry into historical child abuse has been challenged to publish a full breakdown of costs, after it emerged that an average of more than £40,000 a day was charged to the public purse over three months.

Figures for July to September reveal that costs exceeded £3.7m, taking the total to almost £27m since the inquiry began in 2015. Last week, the inquiry, chaired by Lady Smith, insisted that its approach to transparency over costs was “progressive”, but refused to publish a breakdown until its work was concluded.

It was due to last four-years, but it is now expected to run until at least 2022, amid predictions that the final cost will be £40m to £50m.

In recent months, officials are believed to have taken evidence from abuse survivors who have emigrated, involving flights to countries such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand. A spokesman said the costs involved were not a “significant factor”.

John O’Connell, chief executive of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said: “Many Scots will be concerned by the lack of transparency, given the increasing costs of this behind-closed-doors inquiry. It is not unreasonable to ask why interviews were conducted in person, rather than using video calling. A thorough breakdown of costs should be provided to ensure taxpayers’ money has been spent wisely.”

A spokesman for the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry said it published costs quarterly “to ensure it remains open and transparent”.

“The inquiry continues to pursue, at all times, the extensive investigative work required by its wide terms of reference,” he said. “Staffing levels have increased to support the level of investigative work that is carried out outwith hearings.”

This included the taking of evidence in private sessions. Costs had also been incurred relating to enhancing the digital evidence system to support the documentary evidence that would be critical for its future work.

The fourth phase of hearings began in June, with the first of three case studies on residential establishments run by male religious orders.

“A considerable amount of evidence has been examined in these hearings and the case study into institutions run by the Marists, the third in the series, concluded in early November. A case study into child migration is due to start in early December,” he said.

Last edited:

ibroxcats

Apologies if you couldn’t read the full article above on my last post. Full article below.

Scotland’s inquiry into historical child abuse has been challenged to publish a full breakdown of costs, after it emerged that an average of more than £40,000 a day was charged to the public purse over three months.

Figures for July to September reveal that costs exceeded £3.7m, taking the total to almost £27m since the inquiry began in 2015. Last week, the inquiry, chaired by Lady Smith, insisted that its approach to transparency over costs was “progressive”, but refused to publish a breakdown until its work was concluded.

It was due to last four-years, but it is now expected to run until at least 2022, amid predictions that the final cost will be £40m to £50m.

In recent months, officials are believed to have taken evidence from abuse survivors who have emigrated, involving flights to countries such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand. A spokesman said the costs involved were not a “significant factor”.

John O’Connell, chief executive of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said: “Many Scots will be concerned by the lack of transparency, given the increasing costs of this behind-closed-doors inquiry. It is not unreasonable to ask why interviews were conducted in person, rather than using video calling. A thorough breakdown of costs should be provided to ensure taxpayers’ money has been spent wisely.”

A spokesman for the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry said it published costs quarterly “to ensure it remains open and transparent”.

“The inquiry continues to pursue, at all times, the extensive investigative work required by its wide terms of reference,” he said. “Staffing levels have increased to support the level of investigative work that is carried out outwith hearings.”

This included the taking of evidence in private sessions. Costs had also been incurred relating to enhancing the digital evidence system to support the documentary evidence that would be critical for its future work.

The fourth phase of hearings began in June, with the first of three case studies on residential establishments run by male religious orders.

“A considerable amount of evidence has been examined in these hearings and the case study into institutions run by the Marists, the third in the series, concluded in early November. A case study into child migration is due to start in early December,” he said.
This is a fuken horror show of how deep into the sewer these kunts will plunge. Every single quote in there reeks of delay, spin, fuk 'em with long, nebulous rhetoric with no solid information except that it's going to be costly.

Rathcool Kai

The cost for this debacle should be placed at the feet of both the Catholic Church and Celtic F.C. as they are the two prolific contributing factors and both should be heavily punished financially, both with the costs of investigation and the compensation due to the poor victims.

Also the investigation is a farce unless carried out Independently which we all know is not the case.

Rathcool Kai

Email to Kirstene Hair Conservative M.S.P.

To:kirstene.hair.msp@parliament.scot

11 Nov at 10:46

Dear Kirstene,

Following your appearance on Question Time 7/11/2019 I would like to take the opportunity to commend yourself for your performance in the face of a hostile panel and a loaded audience as per usual with the B.B.C. for this programme.

It was particularly disturbing to have two anti British pro Independent cretins on the panel, whose credentials have to be questioned as to why they "deserved" their place on the panel, to allow them a platform to serve their nonsensical diatribe.

One a self centred, uncaring, obnoxious, ignorant, immoral & unethical, "justice secretary?", the other an apparent "journalist", who is a British hating, Republican terrorist sympathiser, both with the same agenda.

Humza Yousaf even had the audacity to accuse Barry Gardiner of weaponizing victims of child sex abuse , which leads me to informing you that I am working within a group fighting for justice for victims of historical child sex abuse within Scottish football for the past 5 decades. I relate Humza and audacity as this man has continually ignored our correspondence regarding the poor victims, it is utterly disgraceful and he is not fit for office within a democratic Government.

I have written to the opposition party leaders , regarding the proposal last week by Deputy First Minister John Swinney, that the Scottish taxpayer should fund £10k compensation per claimant for victims who have been abused and in turn they should sign a gagging order to protect the perpetrators, a disgusting and unethical proposal.

This is a fantastic opportunity to highlight to the electorate how unethical and corrupt the S.N.P. Government are, it is akin to you or I abusing children then have the taxpayer pay compensation for our abhorrent actions and have it silenced to protect us, it is nothing short of disgraceful and it should be enough to bring down this rancid party.

The opposition parties must not let this opportunity pass by, to date Humza, Swinney and Nicola and their cohorts have all failed to even acknowledge any of our correspondence on the scandal, their silence is deafening and their weaponizing of the victims is sickening.

Look forward to your thoughts and reply.

Yours sincerely

R.K.

BlueNose94

Email to Kirstene Hair Conservative M.S.P.

To:kirstene.hair.msp@parliament.scot

11 Nov at 10:46

Dear Kirstene,

Following your appearance on Question Time 7/11/2019 I would like to take the opportunity to commend yourself for your performance in the face of a hostile panel and a loaded audience as per usual with the B.B.C. for this programme.

It was particularly disturbing to have two anti British pro Independent cretins on the panel, whose credentials have to be questioned as to why they "deserved" their place on the panel, to allow them a platform to serve their nonsensical diatribe.

One a self centred, uncaring, obnoxious, ignorant, immoral & unethical, "justice secretary?", the other an apparent "journalist", who is a British hating, Republican terrorist sympathiser, both with the same agenda.

Humza Yousaf even had the audacity to accuse Barry Gardiner of weaponizing victims of child sex abuse , which leads me to informing you that I am working within a group fighting for justice for victims of historical child sex abuse within Scottish football for the past 5 decades. I relate Humza and audacity as this man has continually ignored our correspondence regarding the poor victims, it is utterly disgraceful and he is not fit for office within a democratic Government.

I have written to the opposition party leaders , regarding the proposal last week by Deputy First Minister John Swinney, that the Scottish taxpayer should fund £10k compensation per claimant for victims who have been abused and in turn they should sign a gagging order to protect the perpetrators, a disgusting and unethical proposal.

This is a fantastic opportunity to highlight to the electorate how unethical and corrupt the S.N.P. Government are, it is akin to you or I abusing children then have the taxpayer pay compensation for our abhorrent actions and have it silenced to protect us, it is nothing short of disgraceful and it should be enough to bring down this rancid party.

The opposition parties must not let this opportunity pass by, to date Humza, Swinney and Nicola and their cohorts have all failed to even acknowledge any of our correspondence on the scandal, their silence is deafening and their weaponizing of the victims is sickening.

Look forward to your thoughts and reply.

Yours sincerely

R.K.
Excellent RK.

alexg123

Top marks again RK , I only hope somebody of importance at the receiving end is taking this all in and is going to take it further instead of side stepping such important issues which only adds to more lack of sympathy or help for the victims . Methinks a grenade up the rear of some them might move them into taking action . What a mob of charlatans they are !

sdp02

Intersting reading today on the herald website. Apparently the sneeky SNPs have been desyorying emails and mails using undehand methods.
If im readimg this correctly then any responses from snp memebers frim snp email addresses are not subject to freedom of information legistation.

Grigo Yossarian

Intersting reading today on the herald website. Apparently the sneeky SNPs have been desyorying emails and mails using undehand methods.
If im readimg this correctly then any responses from snp memebers frim snp email addresses are not subject to freedom of information legistation.

Typical tactics.

Just a thank you to EVERYONE who helped us get the funding for the Anti SNP Leaflets.

I’ll name them all later but we were over subscribed due to the support of bears on FF and will distribute them at the Hearts game at Ibrox.

Due to the over subscription we will now have 30,000 leaflets instead of 20,000 we budgeted for, so when they are ready if anyone wants some to take to their local community then please let us know.

GET THE SNP out of Scotland guys for our community’s sake.

You see their behaviour every day on this thread.

Walters80

Been watching Chris Hansen on YouTube currently trying to out weirdo Onision for grooming that’s the kind of investigative reporter the victims of Celtic need to bring this case to light.

Hansen has been bringing these sick people to justice since 2004 and took on the Onision case because the sheer number of YouTube comments left on one of his vids. He also did some stuff on the Penn state case in the US.

Hopefully if enough bears were post comments he might look into the scandal that’s gone on at Celtic?

Bobafett Bear

Cairney up at court on Thursday and that’s the last route of appeal,one cheeky bastard!

as far as I believe that’s the last “live” case but either way if it is MP’s need to answer the question on an independent national enquiry into historical sexual abuse within the game and the gang of predators at cfc/cbc.

That should be the bare minimum for survivors and that is not even scratching the surface of the cover up by the main culprits of directors,managers and governing bodies.