Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Nevin urges Celtic to act over abuse scandal at feeder club

Celtic FC insists that its feeder club was an “entirely separate” organisation
GETTY IMAGES
Marc Horne
Friday June 26 2020, 12.01am BST, The Times

Celtic should accept responsibility if the club was aware of the widespread abuse that took place at its feeder club and compensate survivors, one of its most distinguished former players said.

Pat Nevin, the former Chelsea and Scotland player, spoke out after legal action was formally launched against the Parkhead club. Thompsons Solicitors, which represents 25 individuals who claim they were molested at Celtic Boys’ Club over three decades, claims that it represents the largest abuse scandal in British football.

It lodged papers on behalf of one survivor who is seeking damages from Celtic FC. The test case will be heard at the Court of Session within months.

Nevin, 56, the broadcaster who started his career with Celtic Boys Club in the 1970s butwas not abused, called on the Scottish champions to take responsibility. “If [Celtic FC] did know about the abuse they should pay up,” he told BBC Scotland.

“They should apologise profusely and pay up now, if they knew it was going on at the boys’ club. If they knew about it for a number of years and allowed it to carry on they should apologise to everyone profusely and pay up to the people who were hurt by it. “

Four senior figures at the boys’ club have been convicted of molesting dozens of young players.
In February Celtic FC said it was very sorry that the abuse took place but the club continues to insist that its feeder club was an “entirely separate” organisation, with which it had “historic contacts”.
Patrick McGuire, a partner with Thompsons, who is representing the survivors, claimed that both clubs shared a name, crest, personnel, premises and players. “One of the world’s largest and celebrated sporting institutions, Celtic FC, will now have to reckon in civil court to answer for the decades of the most serious sexual abuse of children committed by their staff and close affiliates,” he said.

According to the BBC article, they’ve been in negotiations for a year. It would appear they’ve now chosen to roll the dice in court.
Like the poster you replied to, I’m astonished they’ve elected not to settle.
Maybe they didn't have a choice.

The lawyer for the victims gave them chance after chance to admit their guilt.
I've little doubt that the filth saw that as a sign of weakness and thought it wouldn't go any further.

The bbc should be called out. Not only did john lydon say in his book that when on totp's it was an open secret around the bbc about saville.

This creature was getting paid by us and getting access to children with his Jim'll fix it programme. If john lydon knew about this and as we know he's not a man for subtlety, then why the hell did the press not go after him.

Very dark all this and was definitely kept quiet by powerful people. Remember lord boothby won a slander case against the mirror I think, when they wrote about his sordid goings on with the krays. All true as well and the rest of the media were hushed up.
Lydon(then Sex Pistols frontman Johnny Rotten) did an interview for radio in 1977 in which he talked about making a movie about people he would like to kill.
He then said he would kill Saville because he was ap to all sorts of seediness they were not allowed to talk about and said I could tell you some rumours
Think he then said something like..I bet this wont get out...the female presenter then mentioned taking out the libellous bits
Rotten then stated...nothing I've said is libellous.

That interview was canned and buried was never broadcast until after Saviles death and national exposure as a paedophile.

Lydon literally exposed Savile in 1977 and those purveyors of good taste at Auntie Beeb covered it up

The thing is the coaches were people of trust and not strangers. In fact most child abuse is done through people in a trusted position.

The Charlie says warnings got a simple point across very well in their day, but I agree they were quite limited in that they did not inform the public of the full picture of child grooming. So in that respect most of society has since become far more aware and better equipped, largely due to victims breaking with the old taboo of silence and coming forward. Thats why its so important to support them when they do so.

According to the BBC article, they’ve been in negotiations for a year. It would appear they’ve now chosen to roll the dice in court.
Maybe the investigation their insurance company carried out warned them the cost would be high, and they have decided to gamble on this ‘separate identity’ nonsense. Watch out for their stooges in the media repeating that mantra over and over in the days ahead incidentally.

It does seem strange though that they’re willing to risk their reputation (what’s left of it) on an inconsequential technicality. Perhaps they have no option. It could be that the actual numbers impacted by this is far greater than is known at present.

Maybe the investigation their insurance company carried out warned them the cost would be high, and they have decided to gamble on this ‘separate identity’ nonsense. Watch out for their stooges in the media repeating that mantra over and over in the days ahead incidentally.

It does seem strange though that they’re willing to risk their reputation (what’s left of it) on an inconsequential technicality. Perhaps they have no option. It could be that the actual numbers impacted by this is far greater than is known at present.
I think the numbers will be staggering, hence them trying the ‘separate entity’ pish again

I think Nevin has put himself in the firing line now. He did try to make light of the creepy coaches in the team bus but ulimately he said the right thing. Celtic are liable and need to take responsibilty for what happened on their watch.

The Scottish media's two favourite football icons and heroes, Jock Stein and Billy McNeill, knew that children and other young people were being molested and sexually assaulted. Both refused to call the police, as the "good name " of Celtc must be upheld at all times. The Scottish media are complicit in their collective silence and non-condemnation of Stein and McNeill. They will never publicly condemn them, not then or not now.

“They should apologise profusely and pay up now, if they knew it was going on at the boys’ club. If they knew about it for a number of years and allowed it to carry on they should apologise to everyone profusely and pay up to the people who were hurt by it. “
Pay up??

If they knew about it for a number of years and allowed it to carry on the club should be shut down and those responsible made to face justice.

There is more than financial recompense at stake here. It’s also an issue of public safety. If anyone at the piggery knew what was going on and decided to stay silent then they’re guilt of knowingly putting children in harms way. Six pedophiles connected to one organization is not a coincidence, it suggests a pattern of behaviour.

I think that Nevin should be publicly apologising. Making light of this subject is scandalous. Trying to suggest that the 70s was a different time and that somehow lessens the cover-up of decades of paedophilia and abuse by multiple people who had a duty of care.

Laughing the monsters off as creepy.

Pat you wouldn't take your son to Parkhead because of an IRA song? You don't seem to give a shit that these boys, your peers were being molested and raped?! Boys you knew!? Your friends?! These brave men have fought the pain from this their entire lives! Some have lost the fight!!! And you laugh!!!! What would you say had it been your son!! What if he had not heard ooh ah up the rah but something much worse.

Trivializing this subject like you might have done as a teen does not help, it hinders. This is not a comedy, or a fluff piece or a football story. This is crime, violence, abuse.

I hope you read this Pat and feel ashamed of yourself.

Bhxo2KA.png
Pity the photo of Jock Stein with jimmy saville isn't on that.

I think that Nevin should be publicly apologising. Making light of this subject is scandalous. Trying to suggest that the 70s was a different time and that somehow lessens the cover-up of decades of paedophilia and abuse by multiple people who had a duty of care.

Pat you wouldn't take your son to Parkhead because of an IRA song? You don't seem to give a shit that these boys, your peers were being molested and raped?! Boys you knew!? Your friends?! These brave men have fought the pain from this their entire lives! Some have lost the fight!!! And you laugh!!!! What would you say had it been your son!! What if he had not heard ooh ah up the rah but something much worse.

Trivializing this subject like you might have done as a teen does not help, it hinders. This is not a comedy, or a fluff piece or a football story. This is crime, violence, abuse.

Brilliant post

Here's a couple of extracts from The making of Pat Nevin...

In the semi-finals we beat Celtic Boys’ Club and the Celtic manager walked in afterwards, congratulated everybody, then walked over to me and said, “You’re playing for us next year.”
‘I went to the boys’ club and from there Celtic Football Club saw that Dundee United were going to sign me and so they signed me up as a schoolboy.

In November 1979 Nevin received the award for the boys’ club’s Under-15 Player of the Year. The previous summer he had travelled with them to the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides. On the same trip was an older, flame-haired defender called David Moyes. ‘Moyesie was the captain of the team above me. I played for the composite team sometimes – I would be the youngest player and Moyesie the captain.’

Nevin, despite his player-of-the-year accolade, was not inside it for much longer. At sixteen, he was released by Celtic.

Nevin knows way more than he's letting on.

Brilliant post
This is the whole problem with Nevin and his ilk, they have been allowed to get away with doing this throughout the years with little or no consequences of any kind.
These people are guilty of being part of the shocking and shameful treatment of the victims, by dismissing and trivialising a serious crime of historical sexual assaults on children who played for their club or associated boys club.

Old Mrs Gray is rightfully seething with him.

She got demoted down the ranks and lost the higher salary to be put on the the wages of a constable, the cronies executed it and her perfectly because of comments made about a Paedohiders cake.
Sums present day Police Scotland up perfectly.:eek:
I get that a policeman, more so, a policewoman, should be even more aware of the pc stuff in their business but this is scandalous.
I’m guessing now that some perma-offended scumbag reported her?
I wonder if any policemen, maybe from our side of the fence, sought retribution here.
I know, for an absolute fact, I would.

A year and a half ago, McAvennie chose to say this in his column.

3 lies, no apology due from the club and sympathy for the guy who wrote Torbett's 4 x £250,000 cheques, when he wasn't there according to Frank, only arriving many years after.

Trust none of them.

There was only one person to blame and his name is Jim Torbett. Some folk are hell-bent on getting an apology from Celtic Football Club for offences that were committed by the founder of a separate organisation.

We haven’t always seen eye-to-eye, but I have a great deal of sympathy with the Parkhead chief executive Peter Lawwell in this matter.

He arrived at the club many years after this scandal surfaced yet has found himself slap, bang in the firing line.

The information that has been on this thread this past week has been revelatory. It is also humbling to see the results of the work that some on here have done to bring the information out . At last, those involved in this crime and subsequent cover up will face justice.

Yesterday was the start and already we have seen those who wish to deny and deflect, abuse and harass victims and family members on social media. We have even seen it on here with the usual point scoring allegations thrown in by one individual. So I say this to any lurker who wishes to question the motives of people on here, we want justice for all of those affected by this crime, no matter who they played for. The people on this thread have been motivated to unearth the truths about what went on, not out of hatred, or malice for your club, but a genuine desire to see that justice is served and the victims get their voice heard. The victims and their families have been ignored for far too long by those in power whose job it is to represent them. They have also been ignored by a media who have refused to investigate and who have journalists only too willing to turn a blind eye. Those days are over now, it is out of their hands.

To the victims and their family members who come on here, I wish to say, stay strong, we are all behind you through what will be a difficult time.

The information that has been on this thread this past week has been revelatory. It is also humbling to see the results of the work that some on here have done to bring the information out . At last, those involved in this crime and subsequent cover up will face justice.

Yesterday was the start and already we have seen those who wish to deny and deflect, abuse and harass victims and family members on social media. We have even seen it on here with the usual point scoring allegations thrown in by one individual. So I say this to any lurker who wishes to question the motives of people on here, we want justice for all of those affected by this crime, no matter who they played for. The people on this thread have been motivated to unearth the truths about what went on, not out of hatred, or malice for your club, but a genuine desire to see that justice is served and the victims get their voice heard. The victims and their families have been ignored for far too long by those in power whose job it is to represent them. They have also been ignored by a media who have refused to investigate and who have journalists only too willing to turn a blind eye. Those days are over now, it is out of their hands.

To the victims and their family members who come on here, I wish to say, stay strong, we are all behind you through what will be a difficult time.
Surely any right minded individual would be wanting justice for the victims. Unfortunately there are an obscenely vocal minority out there who do not want to believe what went on because it brings extensive damage and shame to the most important thing in their life, Celtic Football Club. They really should be looking at the bigger picture and engage their brains before spouting their bile.

As for the journalists who seek mitigating excuses; I just cannot comprehend this way of thinking. These people are well enough educated to realise that they should not be turning a blind eye to the evil which has taken place. They really need to take a deep breath and reset their minds.

Unfortunately there are an obscenely vocal minority out there

Worryingly there are a lot of ordinary people out there who know nothing or very little about this scandal because it has not been given headlines where ordinary people would find reports and analysis.

Even the long running inquiry into historic child abuse in care does not get the publicity or more importantly the discussion that it should.

This is the real failure of Scotland and its government. If you cannot protect children, the elderly and the disadvantaged you have a failed society.

Stating the obvious, but it isn’t just Celtic on trial here, it’s Scotland. The conduct of the news media (BBC in particular), the press, the government (especially our ‘justice minister’), the footballing authorities, the police. If this case gets the worldwide exposure it should, the ramifications will be huge. A country that ignores child abuse on an industrial scale - what an advert for independence that is.

Surely any right minded individual would be wanting justice for the victims. Unfortunately there are an obscenely vocal minority out there who do not want to believe what went on because it brings extensive damage and shame to the most important thing in their life, Celtic Football Club. They really should be looking at the bigger picture and engage their brains before spouting their bile.

As for the journalists who seek mitigating excuses; I just cannot comprehend this way of thinking. These people are well enough educated to realise that they should not be turning a blind eye to the evil which has taken place. They really need to take a deep breath and reset their minds.
They will be named and shamed in due course, do they really want to be on that list it's not too late
" Silence is no longer an option"

During this lockdown I've watched an awful lot of Netflix which has many real life movies/documentaries/dramas about child abuse, 100% of which was carried out by someone associated with Catholicism. It absolutely ruins the innocent child's life, never leaving them and the shame they feel makes them feel like they're to blame somehow, if indeed they've managed to live with it! I just cannot understand for the life of me why the celtic pedophile scandal is not headline news and why there are so many seemingly normal people protecting this atrocity from ex players, managers, directors, politicians, media. Are they really so brainwashed from birth? All my thoughts go to the innocent starry-eyed kids who are now adults wondering just what the heck happened to their lives. I hope many good people have told them they are brave, beautiful and innocent and one day they will see everyone who ignored their obvious hurt and pain punished in a court of law and on the front pages.

Nevin, now a media pundit, told MSPs he had grown up in the east end of Glasgow, where the club is based, and was part of the area’s Irish catholic Diaspora.

“I supported Celtic for most of my life,” he said.

“But one day, I found myself sitting in the stand with my son, who had started to take an interest in football, hearing the song Ooh ah, up the RA.

“I could not accept bringing up my son alongside that, so I was driven away from the club that I loved. I was very disappointed about that.”

Nevin was commentating for the BBC at this year’s cup final between Celtic and Dundee United when he provoked the ire of the club when he hit out at a section of their fans over their chants.

He told MSPs: “The song went something like, ‘As a young man, I’m going to join the IRA – provisional wing’.

“It offended me and I do not want to hear it at a football ground.

“I was shocked and surprised that Celtic Football Club and a great number of fans complained to the BBC, because I expect to hear them say that they do not want to hear that sort of song at their ground.”

That last paragraph is totally damning.

And just a couple of years ago their sectarian singing at McInnes saw him SENT TO THE
STAND. Compare & contrast us & Clarke.

3 lies, no apology due from the club and sympathy for the guy who wrote Torbett's 4 x £250,000 cheques, when he wasn't there according to Frank, only arriving many years after.

Trust none of them.

There was only one person to blame and his name is Jim Torbett. Some folk are hell-bent on getting an apology from Celtic Football Club for offences that were committed by the founder of a separate organisation.

We haven’t always seen eye-to-eye, but I have a great deal of sympathy with the Parkhead chief executive Peter Lawwell in this matter.

He arrived at the club many years after this scandal surfaced yet has found himself slap, bang in the firing line.

Maybe Frank would be better asking who's name was signed on the cheques from celtc to Jim Torbett for his silence before he feels sorry for Lawwell

Makes you wonder if they have advance knowledge of how things will pan out, say, for example, if there will be a sympathetic judge or something like that?

Celtic FC insists that its feeder club was an “entirely separate” organisation
GETTY IMAGES
Marc Horne
Friday June 26 2020, 12.01am BST, The Times

Celtic should accept responsibility if the club was aware of the widespread abuse that took place at its feeder club and compensate survivors, one of its most distinguished former players said.

Pat Nevin, the former Chelsea and Scotland player, spoke out after legal action was formally launched against the Parkhead club. Thompsons Solicitors, which represents 25 individuals who claim they were molested at Celtic Boys’ Club over three decades, claims that it represents the largest abuse scandal in British football.

It lodged papers on behalf of one survivor who is seeking damages from Celtic FC. The test case will be heard at the Court of Session within months.

Nevin, 56, the broadcaster who started his career with Celtic Boys Club in the 1970s butwas not abused, called on the Scottish champions to take responsibility. “If [Celtic FC] did know about the abuse they should pay up,” he told BBC Scotland.

Four senior figures at the boys’ club have been convicted of molesting dozens of young players.
In February Celtic FC said it was very sorry that the abuse took place but the club continues to insist that its feeder club was an “entirely separate” organisation, with which it had “historic contacts”.
Patrick McGuire, a partner with Thompsons, who is representing the survivors, claimed that both clubs shared a name, crest, personnel, premises and players. “One of the world’s largest and celebrated sporting institutions, Celtic FC, will now have to reckon in civil court to answer for the decades of the most serious sexual abuse of children committed by their staff and close affiliates,” he said.
That's quite a bit different to what I read on here last night about him laughing at the accusations.

Trust none of them.

BS Mate.

Kelly, McGinn, McCann, Stein, Macari, Brady, Lawwell.

WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST CALL THE POLICE ?

I honestly can’t comprehend the stance from the rest of scotland/media on this.

For me a totally independent investigation into historic and current CSA covering ALL clubs should be welcomed to purge the game of beasts. If it uncovers goings on at Rangers so be it and we should answer to it. The only thing it points to is that one club in particular KNOW they are totally fucked if it happens.

Lets just hope the sheriff or judge is totally neutral.

The mountain of evidence against this horrible club is damning but I still don't trust our judicial system to deliver the correct verdict.
There is no appetite to punish them or they would already have been shut down.

I wouldn't put it past our courts to accept this separate entity bullshit.

Part of the problem we have is the people/person behind this fool Ronnie Adidas posts , his incapacity is glaringly obvious by his additions to any post . He is a simpleton gub for the Opus dei which is rife in our wee republican country

Last edited:
The SFA investigation is a sham and that is well known, they should call it quits now as only a truly independent investigation will uncover the horrors that they and the paedohiders do not want exposed.

Here's a couple of extracts from The making of Pat Nevin...

In the semi-finals we beat Celtic Boys’ Club and the Celtic manager walked in afterwards, congratulated everybody, then walked over to me and said, “You’re playing for us next year.”
‘I went to the boys’ club and from there Celtic Football Club saw that Dundee United were going to sign me and so they signed me up as a schoolboy.

In November 1979 Nevin received the award for the boys’ club’s Under-15 Player of the Year. The previous summer he had travelled with them to the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides. On the same trip was an older, flame-haired defender called David Moyes. ‘Moyesie was the captain of the team above me. I played for the composite team sometimes – I would be the youngest player and Moyesie the captain.’

Nevin, despite his player-of-the-year accolade, was not inside it for much longer. At sixteen, he was released by Celtic.

Nevin knows way more than he's letting on.
I think he probably does too!

Back