Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

But if the club told the parent - a cop - should they have told the police independently ?
I suppose it depends on what was discussed between them.
I suspect the club should have gone to the police, and they may well have done.
If they didn't then they should apologise for not doing so and explain the reason.
We all talk about how the bhoys club trip to America should have involved the police, but the manky club kept it between themselves and the parents.
Easy to say in hindsight, but IMO the police should have been informed, even if the parent was in the police themselves.

Celtic welcomes the publication of the Final Report following the Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football. The Club recognises the courage of all those who came forward and contributed to this review.

The abuse of young people is an abhorrent crime, which has unfortunately affected many organisations within Scottish football, indeed Scottish society as a whole.

The Club has publicly expressed its sincere sympathy, regret and sorrow to all those affected across Scottish football including at Celtic Football Club and Celtic Boys’ Club, something which the Independent Review acknowledged and welcomed. Today we reiterate this apology.

Since the publication of the Interim Report, Celtic has been working with the Scottish FA and Scottish football as a whole to review those recommendations and to strive to make Scottish football a safer place for our young people. The Club remains fully committed to continuing to prioritise welfare and safeguarding protections for our young people, including working with the Scottish FA in respect of the Recommendations in this Report.

That paragraph - why ?

Because they can't just say sorry.

They have to deflect.

@Grigo Yossarian

Thanks Archie. I’ll get this into the file.

I cant actually see an apology - The nearest bit is here "Today we reiterate this apology".

Celtic welcomes the publication of the Final Report following the Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football. The Club recognises the courage of all those who came forward and contributed to this review.

The abuse of young people is an abhorrent crime, which has unfortunately affected many organisations within Scottish football, indeed Scottish society as a whole.

The Club has publicly expressed its sincere sympathy, regret and sorrow to all those affected across Scottish football including at Celtic Football Club and Celtic Boys’ Club, something which the Independent Review acknowledged and welcomed. Today we reiterate this apology.

Since the publication of the Interim Report, Celtic has been working with the Scottish FA and Scottish football as a whole to review those recommendations and to strive to make Scottish football a safer place for our young people. The Club remains fully committed to continuing to prioritise welfare and safeguarding protections for our young people, including working with the Scottish FA in respect of the Recommendations in this Report.

Can only hazard a guess that it’s all about the cover up. Dodgey deals done. Remember mate it’s all about protecting the club name at all costs.

A club like no other BB75.

It’s incredible the SMSM response to this, with a maximum of three claims against Neely for his perverted behaviour, and of course he was undoubtedly a bad one.

McCafferty alone had 10 that they convicted him of, and that was a reduction from the potential abuses.

Torbett’s first trial had 3 abused, never mind his next trial, or the others too.

And Rangers get the profile Celtic got for less than 10% of instances ?

No disrespect to any of the survivors here, I stress, it’s just a disgrace the SMSM take on this.

Last edited:

That paragraph - why ?
The whole thing is written in cover-your-arse-don't-admit-anything-lawyer speak.

For me the media can try and make this report look like an equal share of the blame for us and separate entity. But in my opinion they can only use the Neely story so much, it's one man one story. They haven't even scratched the surface with separate entity. They will sooner or later have to turn on them. I truly hope that Rangers make a statement apologising if their has been anyone abused, also pay compensation. I only hope it helps anyone that might have been abused

A club line no other BB75.

It’s incredible the SMSM response to this, with a maximum of three claims against Neely for his perverted behaviour, and of course he was undoubtedly a bad one.

McCafferty alone had 10 that they convicted him of, and that was a reduction from the potential abuses.

Torbett’s first trial had 3 abused, never mind his next trial, or the others too.

And Rangers get the profile Celtic got for less than 10% of instances ?

No disrespect to any of the survivors here, I stress, it’s just a disgrace the SMSM take on this.
Honestly mate I understand. I am lost for words with regards this report. There is several factors that I can’t get my head around.
1, what was the need to add in finger pointing or point scoring. They might as well have out please leave Celtic alone or we will not be taking any action against Celtic.
2, and if I am wrong please accept my apologies now. But was Celtic actually mentioned or did they try to go with boys club being separate entity without actually saying that.
3, the implying of its across Scottish football not. Yes some disgusting individuals out there. But one club has actually had several employees and reemployed one in particular that reoffended at same club.

why can’t they just tell the truth and actually listen to and report the heartbreaking stuff gordon woods has said.

That paragraph - why ?
Whataboutery, projection, deflection and false equivalence.

Honestly mate I understand. I am lost for words with regards this report. There is several factors that I can’t get my head around.
1, what was the need to add in finger pointing or point scoring. They might as well have out please leave Celtic alone or we will not be taking any action against Celtic.
2, and if I am wrong please accept my apologies now. But was Celtic actually mentioned or did they try to go with boys club being separate entity without actually saying that.
3, the implying of its across Scottish football not. Yes some disgusting individuals out there. But one club has actually had several employees and reemployed one in particular that reoffended at same club.

why can’t they just tell the truth and actually listen to and report the heartbreaking stuff gordon woods has said.
As i've said before BB this fcker should never have been anywhere near the enquiry let alone be in charge of it!!

Who at Rangers claimed we reported it?
It was a stupid claim to make if indeed it did not happen.
It's far fetched to imagine that police would not have details logged of a complaint of sexual assault on a child.

Our Head of Security at the time was Alistair Hood, a Former Assistant Chief Constable.

I am pretty sure he would have been involved in any discussions and the correct course of action taken. Unfortunately he is no longer alive to confirm what this was.

Police Scotland can’t even manage information and evidence in this day of modern technology, can you imagine what it was like over 30 years ago. I don’t imagine they even had a proper computer system.

With you mate.

They did mention them, of course, but between the SFA review & SMSM reporting all was done to try & turn this into a Scottish Football issue.

Lawwell’s hands all over it and, to a lesser degree Rod Petrie, SFA President & Hibs man.

Hibs knew about Neely, and this report lets them off lightly.

Firstly, I hear that a good number of victims & their families are happy, which is great, but for Rangers it must feel like another kick in the teeth in the whole scheme of things. Despite this, we must as a club do the honourable thing for our very limited number of potential victims.

Alex, I’m sure you’re like me & the vast majority of our fans that predicted this.

It’s a propaganda tactic Celtic have used since 1888.

Christ, when RC talk about it on their show, that tells you their cult are happy with the outcome.
Man. City are a class act compared to the schum , they apologised to the victims of CSA without any arguments or denials and paid out the compensation immediately . They don't come any lower than that mob of pervert protecting shower of lying conniving rhats .

That paragraph - why ?
Probably written without even a hint of a blush , How those people can even look at themselves in the mirror is beyond belief , the victims must be raging with disgust reading that two faced insulting pile of lying shit .

The alleged victim is in the Sun saying it was never reported to police.
If true, the club should apologise.

Re the Sun, they have worded their article to make it sound like Neely abused multiple boys at Rangers and raped a 10 year old, when in fact it clearly happened elsewhere. They are utter scum.
It's the same with Dunn as well I believe, careful wording by the SMSM.

I heard it was on their news UJ, but I didn’t hear exactly what they said.

They then started to discuss it on the SSB programme, but they brought the news guy McLean on & it was nothing unusual.

The big thing for me was them now being willing to talk about it mate, now that Rangers are a part of it.

I turned it off. Sick of them.
I wonder if Keevins will be prepared to talk about it now on SSB. As far as I can see there were 3 incidents at Rangers, which to a point were handled well. It would be interesting to see how they react to that when compared with what went on at the Chamber of Secrets.

Who at Rangers claimed we reported it?
It was a stupid claim to make if indeed it did not happen.
It's far fetched to imagine that police would not have details logged of a complaint of sexual assault on a child.
Think sensibly.

At the time of the statement we would surely have contacted those who were there to get the facts of what happened at the time, before releasing such a statement.

I remember the interview with the victim and there was no indication whatsoever that his father wanted to take the issue further in respect of charges, given Neely was to be sacked and the issue dealt with. The issue was clearly dealt with in the manner his father requested.

Also, how would a kid know if Rangers phoned the police or not? Or that the police even hold records of phone calls from 30 years ago? I know, personally of someone who was falsely identified in a line up of an indecent assault and theft in the late 80’s when in their late teens, so far in that he was questioned at the local police station at the time. The person involved was still aggrieved by it over 20 years later and asked the police for the details held. Guess what? No record of the assault, nor was his name held on file.

I can understand Souness, Smith and others not wanting to get involved, but maybe it’s time for a detailed joint statement from them, or even from the club, clarifying exactly what happened.

I wonder if Keevins will be prepared to talk about it now on SSB. As far as I can see there were 3 incidents at Rangers, which to a point were handled well. It would be interesting to see how they react to that when compared with what went on at the Chamber of Secrets.

Knew Keevins knows a lot, but it’ll be interesting what his & their attitude is to calls on the subject mate.

Man. City are a class act compared to the schum , they apologised to the victims of CSA without any arguments or denials and paid out the compensation immediately . They don't come any lower than that mob of pervert protecting shower of lying conniving rhats .
And let us not forget the new owners of Man. City had nothing to do with the CSA at their club.

With you mate.

They did mention them, of course, but between the SFA review & SMSM reporting all was done to try & turn this into a Scottish Football issue.

Lawwell’s hands all over it and, to a lesser degree Rod Petrie, SFA President & Hibs man.

Hibs knew about Neely, and this report lets them off lightly.

Firstly, I hear that a good number of victims & their families are happy, which is great, but for Rangers it must feel like another kick in the teeth in the whole scheme of things. Despite this, we must as a club do the honourable thing for our very limited number of potential victims.
Just hope and pray that court cases blows this up in all the rotten apples faces who like stein before them have tried to cover it and protect the name before the victims !

Hard to prove, unless you have victims in their 80s willing to come forward

However, putting religion aside, you have to wonder why a young man with no football management experience was able to set up Boys Club in conjunction with one of the largest clubs?

If Torbett set up a boys football club for the purpose of taking advantage and abusing boys (which itself is bad enough) then surely it would be easier to set up a local community club in Hamilton or East Kilbride or wherever. Unless...

1. There were previous abusers at Celtic FC that Torbett knew of, and he worked in conjunction with.

2. He was given permission to set up under Celtic FC name, structure, brand and logo.

3. His "ring of associates" (for want of a better phrase) knew that the promise and lure of playing for Celtic put them in a position of power more than a small community football team ever could.

Torbett didn't just roll out of bed one day and say "I am going to set up a boys football team and steal Celtic's identity without agreement".

This looks to have been a well thought, sinister and disgusting plan... with others unknown involved.
Agree 100% be rest assured this report is complete mud raking to bring others into this scandal. There is no way Torbett just appeared and was allowed to set up a boys club for one of the biggest clubs in the country with no known football experience. There is far more to this and what's known is highly likely to be the tip of a very large iceberg.

See this victim being re-directed to the liquidators.....did it actually happen?

This is The Sun we are talking about...hardly a bastion of truth when it comes to Rangers.

Eggs Benedict...pepprramis...orange sashes being cut in the turf of Ibrox......

I could go on......
This is where Rangers need to stand up and say what happened. Personally I'd like to see Sourness and Smith say what happened that day also. Put the truth out there whether its good or bad .

That paragraph - why ?
As per usual, they are a reaction to us, regardless of the situations.

It’s a wee thinly veiled dig at everyone else, especially rangers for not coming out so far, but it’s their usual way of saying “look, it wisny jist us right, it wis evrybudy else anaw n at”

Scum club as always.

Just say sorry. Easy word, dead hard to say.
Rangers will say sorry too once the dust settles. There wasn’t a recommendation on the timeline for apologies, as long as they were made. Let’s not pander to a slavering media that already hates us.

That's not the crux of the article.

It gives details of Neely's other sordid crimes, but they are interspersed with details about his time at Rangers and pictures of the gates at Ibrox, and says the incident at Rangers was clearly taken to 2 senior managers (Souness and Smith presumably).
It then goes on to say that there was only 'suspected' knowledge of abuse at Celtic.
The way that article is worded is absolutely shocking.

I would be surprised if it remains unedited for more than 24 hours.

As per usual, they are a reaction to us, regardless of the situations.

It’s a wee thinly veiled dig at everyone else, especially Rangers for not coming out so far, but it’s their usual way of saying “look, it wisny jist us right, it wis evrybudy else anaw n at”

Scum club as always.

Just say sorry. Easy word, dead hard to say.
Rangers will say sorry too once the dust settles. There wasn’t a recommendation on the timeline for apologies, as long as they were made. Let’s not pander to a slavering media that already hates us.
They are giving the impression of an apology, without giving an actual apology. What a rancid club they truly are. Then to try and say it wisnae just us is a cowardly statement. Scum.

Our Head of Security at the time was Alistair Hood, a Former Assistant Chief Constable.

I am pretty sure he would have been involved in any discussions and the correct course of action taken. Unfortunately he is no longer alive to confirm what this was.

Police Scotland can’t even manage information and evidence in this day of modern technology, can you imagine what it was like over 30 years ago. I don’t imagine they even had a proper computer system.

Everything is recorded and kept on record. As anyone who has ever been involved in Disclosure checks as part of their work will know. Even when no action is taken a record was always made and stored.

The father being a Police Officer maybe dealt with it himself

As much as the review is unbalanced and clearly biased, the 3 positive things to take from it, as far as the victims go, are as follows (pay attention Timmy, we know just are lurking):-

1) That Celtic and the Boys club were not a separate entity.

2) That Celtic‘s management knew in some cases, and in some other cases had very strong suspicions on many occasions (and that is being kind), and failed to act accordingly.

3) That Celtic are liable, both morally and financially.

Also, that when the abuse became widely known, you dropped the Boys club in an attempt to distance yourself from them, despite sharing so much of your history, facilities, finances, achievements and players for 50 years. And yet you still sing Liverpool FC’s song ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone‘.

Therefore, Celtic FC will forever be known worldwide as the club that harboured and facilitated the largest sporting paedophile ring in history. All sporting achievements, past present, and future, will forever pail into insignificance.

Everything is recorded and kept on record. As anyone who has ever been involved in Disclosure checks as part of their work will know. Even when no action is taken a record was always made and stored.

And these are only the very recent cases, and reported cases, of data record failures.

That paragraph - why ?
What they mean is since publication of the interim report they’ve been working with the SFA to doctor it to suit them. What a vile “club”.

As much as the review is unbalanced and clearly biased, the 3 positive things to take from it, as far as the victims go, are as follows (pay attention Timmy, we know just are lurking):-

1) That Celtic and the Boys club were not a separate entity.

2) That Celtic‘s management knew in some cases, and in some other cases had very strong suspicions on many occasions (and that is being kind), and failed to act accordingly.

3) That Celtic are liable, both morally and financially.

Also, that when the abuse became widely known, you dropped the Boys club in an attempt to distance yourself from them, despite sharing so much of your history, facilities, finances, achievements and players for 50 years. And yet you still sing Liverpool FC’s song ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone‘.

Therefore, Celtic FC will forever be known worldwide as the club that harboured and facilitated the largest sporting paedophile ring in history. All sporting achievements, past present, and future, will forever pail into insignificance.

Top post mate.

The feedback our team have had supports this, that a decent number of victims & their families are happy.

That’s the most important thing, despite the SMSM behaviour.

Back