Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Everything is recorded and kept on record. As anyone who has ever been involved in Disclosure checks as part of their work will know. Even when no action is taken a record was always made and stored.
That might be the case nowaday. @Snakehips relates above about a friend of his which relates to my understanding that the policy used to be that a record was only kept if a prosecution was undertaken.
As the boys father was involved and was a policeman it seems to me a moot point.
What is of concern is that a coach at Rangers made threatening remarks after Neely was sacked. That coach is still involved in football

Top post mate.

The feedback our team have had supports this, that a decent number of victims & their families are happy.

That’s the most important thing, despite the SMSM behaviour.
It’s heartening to know that some of the victims at least feel recognised by the review and are in some way satisfied by it. At the end of the day, that is by far the most important aspect of it all, even if our sporting allegiances on the forum, and by those in the media, can sometimes overshadow this.

Hopefully, between this and the upcoming claims to be heard, then 2021 will be the year that some may manage to get some form of closure, or at least some form of comfort, in finally being heard.

It’s heartening to know that some of the victims at least feel recognised by the review and are in some way satisfied by it. At the end of the day, that is by far the most important aspect of it all, even if our sporting allegiances on the forum, and by those in the media, can sometimes overshadow this.

Hopefully, between this and the upcoming claims to be heard, then 2021 will be the year that some may manage to get some form of closure, or at least some form of comfort, in finally being heard.
They will be heard

And many reputations I'm sure are about to be ruined on a personal and professional level due to their involvement or inaction

This is nothing but an attempt to soften the blow for Celtic, they cant it is going to court where all the sordid dealings and hocus pocus will be revealed, the fury ,anger and hate are not because an unsuspecting company ,Football club, an order, church, mosque, chapel, playgroup ,FAMILY, discovered a paedophile. the lone pedo can slip through checks. No the Hatred , the anger, is because, 2 of theses groups have covered up child abuse repeatedly and for many decades and continue too do so,

The Victims fury will soon enough be witnessed in a court of Law, where all the victims and accusers voices will be heard, the stories of intimidation, witness threatening, and family members abused ,for the Lurkers on here, I want Neely investigated, if in some way damages my club so be it, if it meant my club going back to zero, i would be watching my team the following wk at the local park because i would be safe in the Knowledge that my club did the right thing,as for the lad that has made the accusations that Gordon neely assaulted when he was at Ibrox i sincerely hope he gets some sort of justice and and fully compensated,
But in the pursuit of Justice we need clarity we need to hear from Neelys Victims parents to Ascertain if they had been contacted by RFC or the police, we know he was sacked and not RE-EMPLOYED,

How can anyone have any confidence in this present SFA , they only cater for one club and no prizes for guessing which one , I think it's about time all other clubs and ours start making them work for what they get paid for although I have a sneaking suspicion a certain slant eyed "wide as the Clyde fly guy" will still be calling the shots to organise the chimps running Hampden as they are incapable of doing so on their own and need a ringmaster to make them look like they know what they are doing . God help Scottish Football !

Regarding Neely and reporting it to the police - was it that boy's father who was allegedly a policeman? I vaguely remember something like that being mentioned on here.
It would be good to read the club statement again if anyone can source it? From what I recall (not sure if it was solely from the statement) that Rangers head of security Alistair Hood urged the boys father to report the incident to the police, which I dont believe he did. However Hood went ahead and made a call (incident report) to the police himself, but only a charge file would and not an incident report would be kept on record after 7 years had expired. Both Hood and the boys father were ex serving police, and the only two living witnesses to the events of this meeting are both Souness and Walter. Both of which have never wavered in their account of the meeting.

This is only my recollection of what ive read from the club statement and on FF.

It would be good to read the club statement again if anyone can source it? From what I recall (not sure if it was solely from the statement) that Rangers head of security Alistair Hood urged the boys father to report the incident to the police, which I dont believe he did. However Hood went ahead and made a call (incident report) to the police himself, but only a charge file would and not an incident report would be kept on record after 7 years had expired. Both Hood and the boys father were ex serving police, and the only two living witnesses to the events of this meeting are both Souness and Walter. Both of which have never wavered in their account of the meeting.

This is only my recollection of what ive read from the club statement and on FF.
That is correct...files are destroyed after x amount of years and given it would have been Strathcllyde Police at that time dealing with the the incident so any record has possibly already been destroyed.

I am 100% in my mind to believe the club acted correctly in dealing with Neely.

He was fired and never worked in football again

Good enough for me.

A club like no other BB75.

It’s incredible the SMSM response to this, with a maximum of three claims against Neely for his perverted behaviour, and of course he was undoubtedly a bad one.

McCafferty alone had 10 that they convicted him of, and that was a reduction from the potential abuses.

Torbett’s first trial had 3 abused, never mind his next trial, or the others too.

And Rangers get the profile Celtic got for less than 10% of instances ?

No disrespect to any of the survivors here, I stress, it’s just a disgrace the SMSM take on this.
Its a disgusting act of suppression and spreading equal blame from the SMSM, only Thompson from channel four has asked the real questions so far imo. You would think the scottish media would be shouting from the rooftops given the amount of abuse that occurred from this one club!

Its a disgusting act of suppression and spreading equal blame from the SMSM, only Thompson from channel four has asked the real questions so far imo. You would think the scottish media would be shouting from the rooftops given the amount of abuse that occurred from this one club!

Exactly.

The only guy raising his head & being objective is English Ally.

You know this, but this is why our team around two years ago started to work outside Scotland to support us in getting the truth.

This last 48 hours has proven once again that we were right mate.

Exactly.

The only guy raising his head & being objective is English Ally.

You know this, but this is why our team around two years ago started to work outside Scotland to support us in getting the truth.

This last 48 hours has proven once again that we were right mate.
It was absolutely the right decision to appeal to not just journalism but many other avenues outwith this corrupt wee country. Credit to you all for doing so when many tried to suppress or simply shrugged their shoulders.

Not just a Spotlight, but an advocate and an ever growing voice for the many brave folks who have come forward. Heartfelt respect to each and every one of you Grigo.

Last edited:
Let me give you an example of the Scottish press. Not so long ago a certain journalist made contact with Spotlight. I won’t go into detail but she asked if they could use a part of our research.
After a long discussion on what angle they were thinking about I couldn’t believe what was said to me next..
“Now obviously Spotlight are coming from a bigotry angle”
Pardon was my reply. I couldn’t believe it. My exact words were.. Some Spotlight members have either directly or indirectly been affected by this and would you like to expand on that comment? She then said we need a headline. My reply was I’ll give you a statement from Spotlight if you want. Her reply was yes please. I then said something beginning with F and the opposite of on.
Now please believe us that there are some good journalists in Scotland that have worked on this issue, but there are some apologists out there that are a disgrace to that profession. We all know who they are.
We took it outside Scotland and we are so pleased that we did.

Last edited:
Let me give you an example of the Scottish press. Not so long ago a certain journalist made contact with Spotlight. I won’t go into detail but she asked if they could use a part of our research.
After a long discussion on what angle they were thinking about I couldn’t believe what was said to me next..
“Now obviously Spotlight are coming from a bigotry angle”
Pardon was my reply. I couldn’t believe it. My exact words were.. Some Spotlight members have either directly or indirectly been affected by this and would you like to expand on that comment? She then said we need a headline. My reply was I’ll give you a statement from Spotlight if you want. Her reply was yes please. I then said something beginning with F and the opposite of on.
Now please believe us that there are some good journalists in Scotland that have worked on this issue, but there are some apologists out there that are a disgrace to that profession. We all know who they are.
We took it outside Scotland and we are we so pleased that we did.
Incredible or actually not so incredible, BN94. It's the way the country has become and it is absolutely shocking. Thank f*** that Spotlight are on this. History will judge Spotlight kindly but as for Scotland in the last 50 years I'm not so sure.

It was absolutely the right decision to appeal to not just journalism but many other avenues outwith this corrupt wee country. Credit to you all for doing so when many tried to suppress or simply shrugged their shoulders.

Not just a Spotlight, but an advocate and an ever growing voice for the many brave folks who have come forward. Hearfelt respect to each and every one of you Grigo.

Thanks a lot Ally. We appreciate the support you & many others have given us.

Expect some attacks from us in the coming days LOL

Let's get one thin clear - this would not be an issue if Hibs had done the right thing and warned Rangers of the danger (or maybe even have turned Neilly in(WOW!))

If anyone is due an apology it is Hibs to Rangers for putting them in this position.

However, should anything have been proven to have happened on our watch then we must appease the victim -they are the innocent party.

Top post mate.

The feedback our team have had supports this, that a decent number of victims & their families are happy.

That’s the most important thing, despite the SMSM behaviour.
Regardless what any of us make of it. It is the victims and their families opinions that matter and the fact that they are happy is probably the best they have felt since it began.

I remember last year someone joking that Celtic might get praised in the report.

That club stands a mile out by anyone doing 5 minutes research into CSA.

The apology that the report praises, my English isn't good enough to describe it but it was the most non-apologetic non-apology I've probably ever read... All the many, many man hours from the lawyers that went into each sentence jumped out from the page.

And this was praised in a report into CSA?

Am I correct that there is no mention of their internal investigations which contacted no victims? You'd think that would merit a mention in a report.

No surprise at all to see the general findings of the report alude to a nationwide problem with no specific club to blame.

Strange to the read it's a "full and final report". Any legitimate inquiry would have very quickly called for immediate police investigations, including into the police themselves.

For any journalist reading this... this report, the behaviour of the SFA during the process and the man they picked to do the report should all be thoroughly investigated in future court cases. A lot of people should be facing jail time including many in your profession.

I remember last year someone joking that Celtic might get praised in the report.

That club stands a mile out by anyone doing 5 minutes research into CSA.

The apology that the report praises, my English isn't good enough to describe it but it was the most non-apologetic non-apology I've probably ever read... All the many, many man hours from the lawyers that went into each sentence jumped out from the page.

And this was praised in a report into CSA?

Am I correct that there is no mention of their internal investigations which contacted no victims? You'd think that would merit a mention in a report.

No surprise at all to see the general findings of the report alude to a nationwide problem with no specific club to blame.

Strange to the read it's a "full and final report". Any legitimate inquiry would have very quickly called for immediate police investigations, including into the police themselves.

For any journalist reading this... this report, the behaviour of the SFA during the process and the man they picked to do the report should all be thoroughly investigated in future court cases. A lot of people should be facing jail time including many in your profession.

Well said KBHB.

Hard to prove, unless you have victims in their 80s willing to come forward

However, putting religion aside, you have to wonder why a young man with no football management experience was able to set up Boys Club in conjunction with one of the largest clubs?

If Torbett set up a boys football club for the purpose of taking advantage and abusing boys (which itself is bad enough) then surely it would be easier to set up a local community club in Hamilton or East Kilbride or wherever. Unless...

1. There were previous abusers at Celtic FC that Torbett knew of, and he worked in conjunction with.

2. He was given permission to set up under Celtic FC name, structure, brand and logo.

3. His "ring of associates" (for want of a better phrase) knew that the promise and lure of playing for Celtic put them in a position of power more than a small community football team ever could.

Torbett didn't just roll out of bed one day and say "I am going to set up a boys football team and steal Celtic's identity without agreement".

This looks to have been a well thought, sinister and disgusting plan... with others unknown involved.
I've always thought that R.W.L. I also believe that reid was the public face of those higher up.

Neely was a wrong ‘un that Hibs failed to act upon and he ended up continuing his sordid actions at our club before we did the right thing.

There is no comparison between that and the cesspit of abuse and covering up at world sport’s biggest paedophile ring.

The SFA report is a shambles not worthy of the paperwork it was written on.

7 convictions for 6 peadohpiles at the one club - so far.

What bit of that don’t they get ??

Neely was a wrong ‘un that Hibs failed to act upon and he ended up continuing his sordid actions at our club before we did the right thing.

There is no comparison between that and the cesspit of abuse and covering up at world sport’s biggest paedophile ring.

Well said LTD.

Massively underwhelming response from the SFA, which was predictably
expected and again they didn't disappoint.
The current regime fall into the same category as their predecessors, incompetent and not fit for purpose.
It seems that the government and football association have the same script,
ignore the scandal in question and move on ?
They continue in their dereliction of duty.

Makes me sick to my stomach when I see mentally challengeds on social media making utterly disgusting allegations about a decreased former Rangers coach and a great player, both of whom are held in the highest regard by all who knew them, with no evidence whatsoever.
I wouldn’t worry at all with what the vermin have to say. In the next month or two Spotlight will show something that’s never been seen before. Believe us it’s in the correct hands.

Last edited:
Would Rangers not have been sent a copy of the report (from the corrupt SFA & CFC )before it was published , this would give them the time to go over it before they reply .
Like a lot of people on here it would be nice to apologise and compensate the victims and move on.

I’ve not read the whole report and somebody may correct me if I’m wrong. The SFA are rotten to the core in all this. They are the governing body and had known Paedophiles within their own ranks. Where was the due diligence. If the SFA can’t govern itself how do we expect it to govern the rest of football. Scotland is in the gutter.

Last edited:
Would Rangers not have been sent a copy of the report (from the corrupt SFA & CFC )before it was published , this would give them the time to go over it before they reply .
Like a lot of people on here it would be nice to apologise and compensate the victims and move on.
Your last sentance is correct, but I think the club need to tackle this report for its bias slant that all clubs are equally responsible, they're not. Only one club had a fully functional and working Peadophile Ring at their club, it needed highlighting in the report. It has to be called out now, or its buried away once again. If the club can't do it for fear of SFA sanction, then C1872 need to rip the report apart imo.

Last edited:
I’ve not read the whole report and somebody may correct me if I’m wrong. The SFA are rotten to the core in all this. They are the governing body and had known Paedophiles within their own ranks. Where was the due diligence. If the SFA can’t govern itself how do we expect it to govern the rest of football. Scotland is in the gutter.
They are quite good at marking their own homework!

Our club should be suing the SFA for that abomination of an "independent report" mentioning our club but only Celtic boys club? That is a deliberate attempt to deceive (don't laugh) the authorities from the truth while protecting Septic and their own arses, reprehensible ©unts that they are.

Back