Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

It would appear so. When I was looking for a link to this I got the ‘articles may have been removed…..’ message. The same thing frequently happens when you search for old news about the SNP.
Might be worth checking out https://archive.org/web/ if looking for old pages online. Had a search but could not see anything, not sure if it would bring up every printed article though or whether it is online articles only.

Weirdly enough, one of the stories that came back on the search was this one -

On a bit of a tangent here, but when you do a search on Catholic abuse, Google returns 96 million results, from all over the world. The USA, Poland, Canada, the U.K., Ireland, basically everywhere there is Catholic clergy, children are abused. Anyone would think there is a pattern here. The Church need to investigate WHY it happens, and change their doctrine if it is that which is contributing to it. Is their attitude to celibacy, sexuality and marriage somehow contributing to the problem? Maybe if nuns, bishops and priests were allowed to get their end away with other adults then it might at least reduce the problem, rather than them having to seek out children who are too scared to say anything.

I don’t understand how can anyone follow a religion that commonly facilitates and covers up the abuse of children.

Having followed this thread for a long time now, it has been mentioned many times the disgust people feel towards those who treat this subject with total denial because it’s their club. The separate entity nonsense from the club itself is so difficult to get your head around. If this had happened at Rangers I would be absolutely appalled by it and would disown the club. I wrote a post a while back now, in another thread, where I explained that one of my daughters friends had said she was being abused. I’ll never forget saying to my wife that now we had heard this information, we were now involved in it. We had to report this and had to be prepared for the backlash if the allegations were not true. Unfortunately they did turn out to be true and bastard was jailed for it. We did I think what any normal person would do in this horrible situation. As parents ourself, how could we have lived with ourselves if we had just turned our back on the girl and said it’s not our problem. To then see a tweet last night between two of their supporters discussing Griffiths has just blown my mind. To quote that Paedo or not, Who cares….as long as he scores goals. Where do you even begin with this mindset?

Having followed this thread for a long time now, it has been mentioned many times the disgust people feel towards those who treat this subject with total denial because it’s their club. The separate entity nonsense from the club itself is so difficult to get your head around. If this had happened at Rangers I would be absolutely appalled by it and would disown the club. I wrote a post a while back now, in another thread, where I explained that one of my daughters friends had said she was being abused. I’ll never forget saying to my wife that now we had heard this information, we were now involved in it. We had to report this and had to be prepared for the backlash if the allegations were not true. Unfortunately they did turn out to be true and bastard was jailed for it. We did I think what any normal person would do in this horrible situation. As parents ourself, how could we have lived with ourselves if we had just turned our back on the girl and said it’s not our problem. To then see a tweet last night between two of their supporters discussing Griffiths has just blown my mind. To quote that Paedo or not, Who cares….as long as he scores goals. Where do you even begin with this mindset?
It's black and white to me also mate. Zero tolerance for this kind of thing,nothing and no one should be protected when child abuse is involved!

It took me a long time to come on to FF regarding this issue. Even certain bears on this forum don’t want to talk about it and I get that.
2 members, who I’ll never name, but they know who they are accused me of doing it to get likes. Ffs, what’s that all about? Another respected member got tore into me publicly on the forum for posting something from the SNP’s national newspaper for not copy and pasting. Get a grip is what I’d like to say, but I’d like to meet him personally to show how this issue has affected families that are Rangers through and through but they were scouted by that club to be abused by their employees.
The simple fact is that if it doesn’t affect them then they don’t care. There’s one certain member on here that I would love to meet. A member that thinks he’s the biggest Rangers supporter above anyone else. Members of Spotlight chat with him now and again, but for some reason the boy doesn’t like me. Childish behaviour. I’ve been all over Europe and further with my club for many years.
Like yourself mate, many have followed this thread from before I came along. When I started Spotlight I asked @Haining84 if he minded if I could get involved in this thread. He gave me the obvious answer. I asked him out of respect as he was the man that brought it to the forefront on this forum.
@Rubyhardie, please be proud of what you done. It takes guts mate. It means you have to stick your head above the parapet and take it on.
I’ve had death threats from all over social media. I’m still alive.
When we were young we went to football training. Myself included were scouted by clubs. That club had a ring operating that promised kids everything. These beasts fooled families and brainwashed children that if they said anything they wouldn’t be believed. To the extent of buying children gifts on trips abroad making them believe they would fail at that club if they didn’t do what the beasts wanted.
They made them feel that if they reported it to their parents then they wouldn’t be believed. A very well organised ring.
As these children grew into adults it affected them. Some took their own lives. Some turned to drink and drugs to deal with everyday life.
And the club deny and refuse to comment. False internal investigations to coverup the good name of the club. Statues erected of people who knew.
We want the world to know what that club done to children over many years. Decades in fact. Just think about that.
I’ll take the filth on. They’ve come for me on more than one occasion. I won’t surrender along with every member of Spotlight no matter what it takes.

It took me a long time to come on to FF regarding this issue. Even certain bears on this forum don’t want to talk about it and I get that.
2 members, who I’ll never name, but they know who they are accused me of doing it to get likes. Ffs, what’s that all about? Another respected member got tore into me publicly on the forum for posting something from the SNP’s national newspaper for not copy and pasting. Get a grip is what I’d like to say, but I’d like to meet him personally to show how this issue has affected families that are Rangers through and through but they were scouted by that club to be abused by their employees.
The simple fact is that if it doesn’t affect them then they don’t care. There’s one certain member on here that I would love to meet. A member that thinks he’s the biggest Rangers supporter above anyone else. Members of Spotlight chat with him now and again, but for some reason the boy doesn’t like me. Childish behaviour. I’ve been all over Europe and further with my club for many years.
Like yourself mate, many have followed this thread from before I came along. When I started Spotlight I asked @Haining84 if he minded if I could get involved in this thread. He gave me the obvious answer. I asked him out of respect as he was the man that brought it to the forefront on this forum.
@Rubyhardie, please be proud of what you done. It takes guts mate. It means you have to stick your head above the parapet and take it on.
When we were young we went to football training. Myself included were scouted by clubs. That club had a ring operating that promised kids everything. These beasts fooled families and brainwashed children that if they said anything they wouldn’t be believed. To the extent of buying children gifts on trips abroad making them believe they would fail at that club if they didn’t do what the beasts wanted.
They made them feel that if they reported it to their parents then they wouldn’t be believed. A very well organised ring.
As these children grew into adults it affected them. Some took their own lives. Some turned to drink and drugs to deal with everyday life.
And the club deny and refuse to comment. False internal investigations to coverup the good name of the club. Statues erected of people who knew.
We want the world to know what that club done to children over many years. Decades in fact. Just think about that.
I’ll take the filth on. They’ve come for me on more than one occasion. I won’t surrender along with every member of Spotlight no matter what it takes.
Wow.That’s a powerful post sir.Sadly I can’t believe there are folk on here,Rangers fans,who are critical of what you do.I understand(well not really!)the abuse you get from the other lot but from our own fans?!Some people need a good look in the mirror

Sorry to hear you receive comments questioning your integrity and motivation for highlighting this scandal. I would like to say, that for every member having a go at you, there are thousands backing you and the Spotlight team.

Fk me. That's one powerful post.

I think the problem is, and has been for as long as I can remember, is that Rangers fans carrying out any public initiative are seen as "blazer chasers" by a tiny (but noisy) minority, so it doesn't surprise me you've had Rangers fans question your motives, even though they don't benefit Rangers in any way on this occasion.

As you and your team see every day, there are some really warped individuals out there with their priorities so wrong that it's mind boggling to decent people.

If it wasn’t for yourself and others ,myself and everyone else would be none the wiser what went
on at this club.
Stay strong and keep up the brilliant work you and your team do.

When I started viewing this thread, there was a poster, Tommy, IIRC, sending emails to everyone, Adidas, MPs etc. Every email contained the F word. IMO, not the best way to go about such a serious topic and get answers,but I understood his frustration.
Now that Spotlight have came on and done the far and wide research, posted invaluable info, it's more professional. And once again, we thank you Spotlight team, each and every one of you for the time and effort in bringing the crimes to the fore.

Speaking personally I would like you to understand that what you contribute to this forum plays a massive part in my continued support of it.

I am 100% certain I'm not alone in saying that and probably speak for countless bears alike. A thankless and extremely tiring job you do my friend. I know you won't , but don't ever be deterred because there will be satisfactory end to this. I'm sure of it.

Brilliant words and a brilliant post . Hold your head high , yourself and all the other members of Spotlight . Everybody know the reasons why you all do the amazing work that you do ; Anybody who says different is Not worth bothering about .
More power to you all ; You are a credit to humanity .
As you have often posted .... The world Needs to know .
All credit to you all .

It seems to me that things are going in the right direction. And hopefully sooner rather than later.

to those helping this along. More power to you. You are doing a great service.

for me, there is a murky past, beyond what is the focus of this that will always be shrouded with questions. 1888. That’s the start of it for me. Their alignment to the Catholic Church is the root of all things evil there for me.

that didn’t start with those in focus now.

I am certain this has been going on for near 140 years. It’ll never be found out. It’ll never be investigate.

Even to this day. They will never admit wrong. They never do what is needed. I saw this and firstly I was shocked. Then I realised I wasn’t.

from inception to current state from board room to the gutter, they accept this.

and for me, any one who supports, signs for or works for them, are part of the problem

It seems to me that things are going in the right direction. And hopefully sooner rather than later.

for me, there is a murky past, beyond what is the focus of this that will always be shrouded with questions. 1888. That’s the start of it for me. Their alignment to the Catholic Church is the root of all things evil there for me.

I am certain this has been going on for near 140 years. It’ll never be found out. It’ll never be investigate.

Even to this day. They will never admit wrong. They never do what is needed. I saw this and firstly I was shocked. Then I realised I wasn’t.

from inception to current state from board room to the gutter, they accept this.

and for me, any one who supports, signs for or works for them, are part of the problem
F.ucking shameful but not suprised. They are an evil cult. :mad::mad:

Speaking personally I would like you to understand that what you contribute to this forum plays a massive part in my continued support of it.

I am 100% certain I'm not alone in saying that and probably speak for countless bears alike. A thankless and extremely tiring job you do my friend. I know you won't , but don't ever be deterred because there will be satisfactory end to this. I'm sure of it.

I'll second this. Keep fighting the good fight guys. Sad that you have to as no one else will.

#justiceforthevictims

Celtic will never have a "Founders Trail " if that's the right saying , they have been theives and liars since they began their whole history is based on being upto no good

You do not need to justify to anyone the work you are doing. To me you, and the rest of the people you are working with are brave, and honorable people.

Wow…

Celtic will never have a "Founders Trail " if that's the right saying , they have been theives and liars since they began their whole history is based on being upto no good

Even when a memorial to the Higland & Irish famines was proposed the originators walked away in a huff deeming it "no kaffliky enuff" for their liking such is their ignorant refusal to acknowledge there were victims of all faith and none involved and like St Patrick's day..
Hijacked it as their own personal tragedy which simply is not the case.

BN94, I and so many others have the greatest respect for you, and the magnificent work you and Spotlight do. Be under no illusion, what you do is inspirational and you are a credit to the Rangers family far and wide.

Last edited:

They've got a student studying for a PhD into Celtic's 'charitable' foundations. The priest who made all the fuss about the Orange parades passing his church was instrumental in launching this. I think we all know how this will turn out.

They've got a student studying for a PhD into Celtic's 'charitable' foundations. The priest who made all the fuss about the Orange parades passing his church was instrumental in launching this. I think we all know how this will turn out.
Foreword by James Dornan no doubt

I agree mate. It definitely goes back to the days when they landed on our shores, but proving it is the difficult part. The Catholic Church is heavily involved in the abuse linked to that club.
When we uncovered Father Michael Spencer and the links to Celtic, I think the most upsetting and angering thing was it was Spotlight that unearthed it and handed it to the press. If it wasn’t for us then it would never have been known. If anyone hasn’t seen the article then I’ll post it again.
Can I also just say that the support and kind comments that have been posted in the past 24 hours has been great to read. Thank you very much from the whole of Spotlight. It really does mean a lot.

Last edited:
Their Charitable Beginnings didn't last long after 9 years they told them to do one and kept the profits ..... A Club Like No Other

For catholics in this country, from the day they were born they are fighting a war EVERY DAY. Every day they fight a war that determines they must defeat the big bad proddies at every turn. In their war, the victims of their clergy's abuse and the victims of their fitba club's abuse are seen as no more than collateral damage (much like the ordinary catholics who were murdered by the IRA). And just like the families of IRA victims who speak out, the families of CFC and RC clergy victims are rounded on and vilified as traitors to the cause. They are indeed part of a vile sect.
celtc were formed to take the Catholics away from the Protestant soup kitchens ( as the R.C. church referred them ) When they set up their own soup kitchens it was for R.C's only....They are the club like no other ...no other club has been formed through bigotry in our country.....
Bigots and Sectarian since 1888.....

Canadian priest accuses Indigenous victims of fabricating school abuse: ‘Kind of hard if you’re poor not to lie’
Just read in Washington Post. I can not copy a link so had to cut and paste full article.
Have they used this tactic yet?
In early July, the Rev. Rhéal Forest delivered a sermon at St. Emile Catholic Church in Winnipeg, Manitoba, about Canada’s residential schools, which had been sites of violence and sexual abuse toward Indigenous children for more than a century.
“Fake news,” Forest said about reports that the system inflicted psychological, physical and sexual abuse on the 150,000 children who attended the church-run boarding schools set up to assimilate them into European culture.
He asserted that Indigenous children enjoyed being at the residential schools and said that survivors of sexual abuse at the schools lied about it to receive settlement money from the Canadian government, which has paid $3 billion to 28,000 victims, according to the Canadian Broadcast Corp.
“If they wanted extra money, from the money that was given to them, they had to lie sometimes — lie that they were abused sexually and, oop, another $50,000,” Forest said during a video-recorded sermon that was removed from Facebook but reposted by the CBC.
“So it’s kind of hard if you’re poor not to lie,” he added.
After the Archdiocese of St. Boniface became aware of the videos on Monday, it removed them from St. Emile’s Facebook page and revoked Forest’s rights to preach or teach publicly, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. reported.
[What to know about Canada’s residential schools and the unmarked graves found nearby]
In a statement shared with The Washington Post, the archdiocese on Thursday said it disavowed Forest’s comments: “We very much take to heart the pain his words have caused to numerous people, not least of course Indigenous people and, more specifically, survivors of the Residential School system.”
The archdiocese did not make Forest available for comment.
The priest’s remarks come as the discovery of two unmarked gravesites near residential schools in British Columbia and Saskatchewan have roiled Canada, renewing scrutiny on a system that sought to detach Indigenous children from their homes and cultures.
In 2015, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada described the system as “cultural genocide.”
The commission’s report also determined that the children were routinely subjected to sexual abuse. It identified more than 40 “successful convictions of former residential school staff members who sexually or physically abused students.” As of January 2015, nearly 38,000 claims arising from physical or sexual abuse had been filed with the government, according to the commission’s report.
“The door had been opened early to an appalling level of physical and sexual abuse of students, and it remained open throughout the existence of the system,” the report said.
During his July 10 sermon, Forest claimed that only a “few” children experienced sexual abuse, but not by priests or nuns, but a “layperson” and a “night watchman.”
Indigenous leader Kyle Mason told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. he was surprised that a member of the Catholic Church would be “so out of touch and so outdated” to have such “disgusting views going on within themselves.”
“I would strongly encourage [the church] to use this as a teaching moment for them to make sure that anybody — priests, nuns, staff, whatever it is, whatever their leaders are within their ranks — are well-informed on residential schools … and all the other ways that we are seeing the impact of these atrocities within our society,” he said.
Following the discovery of some 215 unmarked graves on the grounds of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School in British Columbia in May — and 751 more in Saskatchewan in June — more than a dozen Catholic and Christian churches have been burned or vandalized. As many as 15 churches have been set on fire, the Wall Street Journal reported, although in most cases police have said there is no evidence they are linked to the unmarked graves.
[Two Catholic churches on Canadian Indigenous land destroyed in ‘suspicious’ fires, police say]
During a sermon on July 18, Forest said he passed a church that had been vandalized with the words “Save the children,” the CBC reported.
“As I’m passing by, thoughts of anger. If I had a shotgun at night and I’d see them, I’d go, ‘Boom!’ just to scare them and if they don’t run away, I’ll shoot them,” Forest said of the vandals, according to the CBC.
He backtracked, saying that would be “bad” and “would not help,” and then blamed the media for prompting vandals to target churches by reporting on the atrocities of residential schools.
In a 10-minute video posted on Facebook on Thursday, Albert LeGatt, the archbishop of St. Boniface, expanded on the archdiocese’s disavowal of Forest’s comments, calling them racist.
“I am not just sorry or regret or wish he hadn’t used those words,” he said. “I wish to say very, very clearly, I — and I hope more and more people — will come to that place of completely disavowing that kind of thinking.”
LeGatt also asked for forgiveness from Canada’s Indigenous community.
“Truth and reconciliation is a single thing. And so I need to come to know the truth — we need to come to know the truth,” he said. “And so the diocese [is] inviting all of the faithful to come to know more fully that truth as told by and shared by the Indigenous.”

Just read in Washington Post. I can not copy a link so had to cut and paste full article.
Have they used this tactic yet?
This guy's a nutcase. Some of the comments below the article are good, though -

"Kinda hard not to lie when you're poor. Wow. Kinda hard not to lie when you are a priest. Maybe more evidence for the latter."

"It's hard to be a catholic priest and not celebrate the abuse of children."

"Spoken like a true Roman Catholic priest."

"Those are the words of a priest who is trying to head off his own culpability, right out of the Trump book of deflection and what-about-isms. He would not make such statements unless he is also guilty and is building an offensive attack against the victims to protect himself."

"Right. Just like altar boys "fabricated" their abuse. Look in the mirror, Padre. Methinks thou doth protest WAY too much. Then shut up and sit down."

"Tell us father, did Indigenous Canadians also fake the 900+ and counting dead children found at Catholic schools?"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/07/30/rheal-forest-residential-schools/

This is the clown delivering the 'sermon'. Not the full shilling, if you ask me.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/rheal-forest-residential-schools-1.6121886

Back