Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Another word stood out from that article

Collage-Maker-20210927-215157739.jpg
[/url]

It really is disgusting behaviour from CFC

The BC and CFC are clearly intertwined

They cannot claim otherwise

Same regarding their claims of not knowing till the 1990S.

The proof is there regards P1s ejection by bawface...they even investigated allegations of abuse in 1986

Forgive me for playing devil's advocate, but it might be that there was never any contractual relationship between CFC and Celtic Boys Club, and this is why Celtic have claimed that the two are separate entities. They may have the letter of the law on their side if there's no paperwork to be found stating quite clearly that the latter worked for the former.

You're absolutely right, though: as has been proven beyond all reasonable rebuttal by BN94 and other stalwarts on here, the two are inextricably linked, and the law, if it is indeed, technically, on the side of Celtic as an institution, does not excuse their moral culpability.

And did not the SFA not at some time and somewhere state that a club with clear links to another had responsibility for the latter?

Celtic are guilty as charged, guilty of one of worldwide sport's most shameful episodes. That's as clear as the face on John Kennedy's nose. The issue is, the authorities in Scotland don't want to charge them, and there is no significant pressure from the press for them to do so. The threat to them of fan media exercises our investigative and righteous 'journalists' more.

Forgive me for playing devil's advocate, but it might be that there was never any contractual relationship between CFC and Celtic Boys Club, and this is why Celtic have claimed that the two are separate entities. They may have the letter of the law on their side if there's no paperwork to be found stating quite clearly that the latter worked for the former.

You're absolutely right, though: as has been proven beyond all reasonable rebuttal by BN94 and other stalwarts on here, the two are inextricably linked, and the law, if it is indeed, technically, on the side of Celtic as an institution, does not excuse their moral culpability.

And did not the SFA not at some time and somewhere state that a club with clear links to another had responsibility for the latter?

Celtic are guilty as charged, guilty of one of worldwide sport's most shameful episodes. That's as clear as the face on John Kennedy's nose. The issue is, the authorities in Scotland don't want to charge them, and there is no significant pressure from the press for them to do so. The threat to them of fan media exercises our investigative and righteous 'journalists' more.
Reference your first paragraph.. I’m sure it was in Alex Thomson’s C4 piece on Gordon Woods where he stated that Celtic clearly benefited from the boys club and that’s how the Supreme Court will view it.
This also below from Patrick McGuire back in 2018..

It would be great if someone could find the quote by Billy McNeil saying it was an open secret
I remember reading it im sure in the daily record after torbett was convicted the first time.
I don't think he said that Pal sorry it looks like it was added on later by a reporter, court documents are the only place it would show us for definite

I don't think he said that Pal sorry it looks like it was added on later by a reporter, court documents are the only place it would show us for definite
My understanding of it was him being interviewed by a reporter after the trial.
Sorry for any confusion.
Must be in public records somewhere

It really is disgusting behaviour from CFC

The BC and CFC are clearly intertwined

Same regarding their claims of not knowing till the 1990S.

The proof is there regards P1s ejection by bawface...they even investigated allegations of abuse in 1986

Q. Exactly, why would CFC investigate what was happening in a separate entity?

A. Because they were not separate.

The ‘open secret’ quote has been searched for many times and no one has been able to source it in black and white, yet.

It could be a Mandela effect phenomenon on FF, as we all remember being said.

It’s a footnote though. The existing evidence is damning in its own right.

Was it a quote in Lou Macari's autobiography or was that another damning one?

My understanding of it was him being interviewed by a reporter after the trial.
Sorry for any confusion.
Must be in public records somewhere
It seems to have stemmed from a post on FF.

People have searched for the quote and never found it.

The most damaging aspect of Torbett’s first trial was the evidence given in his defence by Celtic directors.

I have written to the SFA / SFL/SPFL in great detail over all the evidence now out in the public domain in respect of the what action they have taken in response to these abuse convictions, numerous other allegations over the years etc etc to ask what they did to try & prevent this, what actions they have taken against a member club for example employing a convicted offender, what actions they intend to take on the outcome of each Court case & any future court cases etc etc & they simply will not interact in any manner.
That's why the Spotlight team are doing such a good job as when i started contacting them years ago & was being ignored, I never thought I'd see the day when this scandal began to make headlines.
That club are so so lucky that this mainly happened before we had social media like we do now but the work being done is slowly getting information out there to the general public to let them see what has actually been going on & may eventually be the thing that gets justice for all those victims out there.

I have written to the SFA / SFL/SPFL in great detail over all the evidence now out in the public domain in respect of the what action they have taken in response to these abuse convictions, numerous other allegations over the years etc etc to ask what they did to try & prevent this, what actions they have taken against a member club for example employing a convicted offender, what actions they intend to take on the outcome of each Court case & any future court cases etc etc & they simply will not interact in any manner.
That's why the Spotlight team are doing such a good job as when i started contacting them years ago & was being ignored, I never thought I'd see the day when this scandal began to make headlines.
That club are so so lucky that this mainly happened before we had social media like we do now but the work being done is slowly getting information out there to the general public to let them see what has actually been going on & may eventually be the thing that gets justice for all those victims out there.

Thanks for your great efforts TGF.

Spotlight had our first ever post with over 100,000 impressions in the last few days, so the message is now getting out there more than ever.

Many British journalists are now following us.

It definitely didn't stem from FF in my case. I remember the quote being in the paper over 20 years ago.
This has come up several times and various posters have searched for the quote without success.

I’ve never seen it in black and white - only referred to by posters.

This has come up several times and various posters have searched for the quote without success.

I’ve never seen it in black and white - only referred to by posters.
I've searched for it too and can't find it, that doesn't mean to say he never said it.

I am 100% certain he said this and I am 99.9% he said this in the column he used to have in the 'Scottish sun' on Saturday mornings - I remember reading it. There is no chance this will be found online - it would need days combing though physical copies- I dont know if places like the mitchell library would even hold historical copies of that rag!
They don't I was looking for something totally different and no archived copies even the Sun themselves were unhelpful when I enquired about their back issues copies.

They don't I was looking for something totally different and no archived copies even the Sun themselves were unhelpful when I enquired about their back issues copies.
I am based in SW England.

The only other place I can think of is the national library for Scotland - their website is a bit awful to navigate but from what I can tell they might have physical copies of the sun from around this time.

I KNOW I read it in the sun!

This from a thread a few years back that pulled together some press quotes

Post in thread 'Billy McNeil Quote "Open Secret" Daily Record' https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...e-open-secret-daily-record.76100/post-3641659

Paedophilia is vile. In fact it is beyond vile. The perpetrators are monsters. Evil, depraved, sub-human.
For a generation, a paedophile operated at Celtic Football Club, molesting children supposedly under his care. Celtic Football Club is not to blame for James Torbett's horrific perversions. These devious and deceitful men (and occasionally women) make it their mission to wheedle their way into areas where they have access to children. James Torbett was one of them.
But that is where any absolution of blame regards the Celtic Paedophilia Scandal should end. Let us be blunt here – Celtic Football Club, its manager and board of directors knew about Torbett's sexual molestation of young boys and failed to contact the police. Further, they attempted to cover up his crimes, with manager Jock Stein in particular, disgracefully instructing Celtic employees to "keep the name of Celtic Football Club clean at all times".
Digest press reports from the time the scandal was finally uncovered:
"Jock Stein and the Celtic board covered up allegations made against Boys' Club founder Jim Torbett…… He (witness Hugh Birt) told how he took the allegations against Torbett to the Celtic board and Stein and even told the then vice-chairman, Kevin Kelly, about them at a meeting…… I was told by Jock Stein to keep the name of Celtic Football Club clean at all times." (1)
"Kevin Kelly (former Celtic Chairman), still honorary president of the (Celtic) boys' club, is a fellow director of Torbett's company The Trophy Centre, and current board member Jack McGinn is an employee……it is not clear why a man widely regarded as a child abuser was allowed back into a position of responsibility at the boys' club." (2)

"Birt claims he was concerned about the behaviour of both Cairney and Torbett - who wheedled his way back in after Jock Stein's death – and raised the matter with the club. Before he knew it Birt was asked to resign. When he stood his ground and refused, Celtic withdrew his ticket to the directors' box and he had no option but to get out." (2)
"Why didn't they blow the whistle?.......a pervert was allowed to prey on a succession of vulnerable kids……while those (at Celtic) in authority looked the other way…… why - despite the stream of accusations of sexual abuse - was Torbett still acting for Celtic in an official capacity as late as 1993?...... why did former Celtic chairman Kevin Kelly - who was made aware of the allegations - give Torbett his endorsement by becoming a director of his Trophy Centre shops? …….The police must carry out an immediate criminal investigation……"(3)
"A disturbing aspect is the allegation of a cover-up to maintain Celtic's image. That is shameful..." (4)
"It (Torbett’s crimes) was an open secret at Parkhead" - former Celtic captain Billy McNeil. (5)
"Dark secret that took 30 years to expose; NO MORE COVER-UPS: HOW THE RECORD BROUGHT AN END TO THE CANCER THAT EXISTED IN CELTIC BOYS' CLUB... from the boardroom to the dressing room, it was murmured that Celtic Boys' Club boss Jim Torbett was molesting young stars... to a man, the Celtic board did nothing to expose the pervert and the dreadful scandal... if ever a story had been hushed up it was this one... the shameful silence only helped the man who preyed on the teenage hopefuls, knowing they would be too afraid to reveal the truth." (6)
"Victim 1 – 'the burly six-footer broke down in tears as he recalled the abuse that ended his football career and has left him depressed and lonely.'

Victim 2 – 'Now an alcoholic, the man had carried his burden for 23 years. He told through tears of the night Torbett performed a sex act on him as other boys slept nearby on a Boys' Club trip to Norway. He was 13 years of age.'
Victim 3 – 'He said that he had been abused by Torbett and he believed there were other victims. (He) had also been molested in Torbett's home.'" (6)

"HUGH Birt's 25-year crusade has been to unmask perverts like Jim Torbett. Today, 12 years after he quit as chairman of Celtic Boys' Club over the sex abuse cover- up, Hugh is still angry. He is convinced that there are dozens of other Torbett victims suffering in silence……."Jock said to me to keep its (Celtics) name clean…..he (Birt) said (Celtic Chairman Kevin) Kelly, who had just been given a plum job at Torbett's Trophy Centre, promised to investigate and the claims were reported to the Boys' Club committee. But minutes from that meeting have vanished. Hugh claims he finally quit after a row with Kelly over the abuse claims." (6)
One report above states "the police must carry out an immediate criminal investigation". To this day, those who covered up Torbett’s sick perversions were never brought to task and forced to explain why they did so. No official apology was made. Celtic paid no compensation to victims, many of whom had their lives ruined by Torbett. Sickeningly, he was actually allowed to RETURN to Celtic after his "indiscretions" were brought to the fore, enabling him to molest more children.
Of course any mention of this absolute scandal evokes accusations of "point scoring" and drags out the very worst of the Denial Branch of the Celtic following to claim that the discredited Stein "booted Torbett out the door". He may have done just that. What he didn’t do was what any decent person would - phoned the police. More children suffered because of Stein and the Celtic Board’s inactions and pre-meditated cover-up. THAT is the real scandal and it is one that should be investigated fully by both Police Scotland and the Scottish Football Association.
Roll forward to present day as revelations of paedophilia in England rock the football world. A freelance journalist by the name of Marcello Mega, under the headline "FOOTIE KIDS BOMBSHELL - Rangers fired abuse quiz coach Gordon Neely after boy made allegations against him" regurgitates a 25 year-old story about a youth coach at Rangers. The coach, one Gordon Neely, is alleged to have said something inappropriate to a youth player. Rangers’ manager Graham Souness sacked him immediately and called in the police, in effect showing Celtic FC how it should be done. No cover-ups at Ibrox. No shameful secrets. Doing the right thing was at the forefront of thought.
Of course the aforementioned Denial Branch CSC turned full circle, abandoned their faux morality and attempted to embark on the kind of "point-scoring exercise" they had previously decried... failing miserably. One thing was puzzling. There are enough old newspaper reports out there regards Celtic FC and their paedophilia shame to fill the National Library. Why did the aforementioned "journalist" Mr. Mega choose to drag up a next-to-nothing story about a former Rangers youth coach who was sacked having said something untoward to a child?
The clues can be found on Mr. Mega’s Facebook page, which lists his "sporting likes" as "Celtic; Neil Lennon; Kris Commons' Celtic's Midfield Maestro; CSC- Celtic Supporters Club; Henrik Larsson; Jimmy Johnstone - Lisbon Lion Legend". Mr. Mega-Failure also also features on the "107Cowgate" blog. 107 Cowgate just happens to be the birthplace of Irish Republican James Connolly. Purely a coincidence I'm sure. Well, purely coincidental unless you happen to know that the blog "107Cowgate" is run by disgraced Irish Republican activist Jim Slaven. Presumably The Sun newspaper considers this social misfit and his friends to be credible.
Point-scoring? Twisted? Fail Fail Mr. Mega. You are part of the problem. However we thank you for highlighting the differences in decency and morality between our own club and the perpetually and indelibly tainted organisation you support.
(1)Daily Record, 11th July 1998.
(2)Scotland on Sunday 18th August 1996
(3) Daily Record 12th August 1996
(4)Daily Record 13th November 1998
(5)Billy McNeil, Evening Times 13th November 1998
(6)Daily Record 13th November 1998

Reference the Billy McNeil quote..

The only place Spotlight has seen this quote is in the link below. We’ve been unable to find the Evening Times article quoted. I’d also like to add that our associates have also been unable to find it.

I know this is a bit off topic but I've just realised that any and all threads on KDS related to Celtic Child Abuse are closed and redirected to a generic CSA abuse thread. On the first page you can see "Big dirty masonic cover up without a doubt.". A quick click through some pages and you can see some are wanting their club to do the right thing but the outrage is mainly reserved for Prince Andrew. This is probably not worth a post but I was pretty shocked,

Last edited:
I know this is a bit off topic but I've just realised that any and all threads on KDS related to Celtic Child Abuse are closed and redirected to a generic CSA abuse thread. On the first page you can see "Big dirty masonic cover up without a doubt.". A quick click through some pages and you can see some are wanting their club to do the right thing but the outrage is mainly reserved for Prince Andrew. This is probably not worth a post but I was pretty shocked,
Deflection and finger pointing is a specialliity with that lot.

They are anything but innocent ..and they know it

I am fairly certain a poster/posters checked both papers in the Mitchell and found nothing.
I checked the Times and the Herald in the Mitchell over a decade ago because this kept cropping up.

Reading through the reports of the Torbett trial the most striking thing was the level of support he got from Celtic directors, especially Michael Kelly.

They backed Torbett to the hilt.

I checked the Times and the Herald in the Mitchell over a decade ago because this kept cropping up.

Reading through the reports of the Torbett trial the most striking thing was the level of support he got from Celtic directors, especially Michael Kelly.

They backed Torbett to the hilt.
Michael Kelly was a close friend of P1 iirc

I recall reading he was seen sneaking into P1s home at strange hours

Great work bears, keep it up, their day is certainly coming, i have been monitoring the celtic podcasts and there is a few of the more astute ones, wondering where has all the money gone, and are very distrustfull of the board, that in itself proves that the work done on here is having an effect, once again well done, you are doing the human race a service by lifting up the rugs at Celtic and Holyrood and exposing the vermin that inhabit these places.

Recall evidence from when the family the boy was staying with in Florida contacted the Boys Club with allegations of abuse. I'm sure the first people they tried to contact in the UK were the directors at CFC. Separate entity, nonsense

Macari also definitely made reference to it.
IIRC - Macari's book referred to something along the lines of - he was given a list of things to do when taking over the manager's job -
Most things related to general duties like players contracts etc.
But amongst the usual activities was a complaint about CSA
Where he mentioned this was a matter for the police (not the manager).
To my knowledge he didn't inform the police & neither did the club's board

I may have got this wrong - I never read his book & I'm trusting my memory from a previous quote & haven't researched it
So maybe it'll go along the same way as Ceaser's 'quote'

I've spent many many hours on the web and can't see the "open secret" quote anywhere. Tried many search variables.That's not to say it doesn't exist, or was ever said. I just can't find it. And the Daily Record archives don't go as far back. Neither do the Glasgow evening times or the Scotland on Sunday.
I'll keep trying though.

Back