Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Having watched this unfold over the years, I would like to thank Spotlight, BN94, Grigo Yossarian and other people that I haven't named, for their awesome efforts and sacrifices that they have made to bring this disgraceful CSA Scandal out into the open.

It appears to me that there is still a massive fight to be fought, however the bravery that has been shown by Gordon Woods, Michelle Gray and her Mother have been astounding and I am convinced that all these people named here have helped other victims to find the strength to get involved and come forward.

I applaud you all and hopefully justice will prevail. ( Good Luck and stay strong ).
I hope once this unravels,the guys/girls that have been abuse have the day that they have fought for,every last one of them.
And that’s is absolutely sincere.

So Man City have approached Bennell to act as a witness on their behalf? That’s absolutely deplorable behaviour from City if this is accurate. How could any court take anything Bennell says at face value? And what would Bennell get out of it all?

If true, I hope Man City fans strongly make their feelings known towards the owners.

Last edited:
Why should you,just because of a disgusting club?
It's not just the club though, is it? It's the football authorities having a hand in creating deflecting reports, the government, police & media doing their best to avoid the topic & a whole section of society that claims it as point scoring to want justice for the victims. That's abhorrent, not embarrassing.

Why should you,just because of a disgusting club?
Because Scotland is a country that we should all be proud of, Politicians and the Justice System that's currently in place is well off the mark.

Oor wee Country has always been revered around the world as being special, but let's be honest, 'I ask' what the F#*K is going on ?

Answers on a Post Card please to The SNP, (First Minister) Miss Sturgeon. ( These things Happen)

Last edited:
Excellent post and thank you. There will be more ups and downs but the fight for justice must go on.
Never ever give up on this. Keep fighting the poisonous entity that is trying to worm its way out of responsibility until the victims finally get justice.
And then those who allowed this to happen and did nothing along with those in government still trying to hide this disgrace to secure Catholic votes must be brought to account as well.

These 6 words that are related to Nevin‘s involvement are damning to him and his knowledge of all the abuse that he knew of, ignored and was effectively compliant with in its happening.

He is, in my opinion, as legally culpable as the perpetrators are.

Pat Nevin was the one to speak out about the racist abuse Paul Canoville suffered at Chelsea. He knows how brave and important that was.

His silence on this is even more damning.

It shows their power. A man brave enough in 1984 to tackle racism is not brave enough in 2021 to tell the truth about child abuse.

Jock Stein covered up sex claims to protect his Celtic; Trial told of order from manager.​

JOCK Stein and the Celtic board covered up allegations made against Boys' Club founder Jim Torbett, it was claimed yesterday.

Torbett, who is now accused of abusing three boys while he was at the club, was literally kicked out of Parkhead by Stein, a court heard.

But when the claims subseq9uently surfaced, Celtic manager Stein and the directors were anxious to keep the image of the club clean and nothing more was done about them.

The claim was made by former Celtic Boys' Club chairman Hugh Birt, 61, who said he felt "fabulous" when the Daily Record broke a story about Torbett two years ago.

Mr Birt told Glasgow Sheriff Court that when he first heard about the allegations he didn't have enough evidence to go to the police.

Asked how he now felt about giving evidence against Torbett, he replied: "It's a tremendous relief for me because I have been carrying it about for 25 years."

He said he was asked to be chairman when Torbett was "put out" of the Boys' Club.

Asked who got rid of him, Mr Birt said: "According to Mr Stein, he literally put his foot up his backside and kicked him out. It was all covered up by Celtic as to why."

He admitted that he had a good relationship with Torbett, who returned to the Boys' Club as a fund-raiser several years later.

Mr Birt said: "There was a lot of hearsay and it wasn't until Jim came back that I got involved because things started up again."

He told how he took the allegations against Torbett to the Celtic board and Stein and even told the then vice-chairman, Kevin Kelly, about them at a meeting in his car.

He said: "Although there were people who spoke to me I couldn't go to the police without actual proof of the allegations. When I joined as chairman, I was told by Jock Stein to keep the name of Celtic Football Club clean at all times."

He denied a suggestion from Alan Nicol, defending, that he was a "troublemaker" and that he had been forced to leave the Boys' Club for spreading gossip about the sexuality of a referee.

Kevin Kelly, 61, a director of Torbett's Trophy Centre firm, said during his time at the club no one made any allegations and he denied ever meeting Birt to discuss claims against Torbett.

Another Trophy Centre director, Gerald McAleer, 42, who played for the Boys' Club when Torbett was there, denied in evidence that his silence had been bought.

As a youngster, he had gone on trips with other boys to the cinema and restaurants with Torbett as well as going to his flat, but said he had never seen anything amiss.

Most of the time he was in the flat, Torbett's mother was there. He said he had a good relationship with Torbett then and was still friends with him now.

He was "absolutely positive" that he had never seen Torbett interfere with one of the alleged boy victims, James McGrory.

Torbett, 51, of Burnbrae Road, Auchinloch, Lenzie, near Glasgow, denies three charges of shameless indecency involving James McGrory, now 44, David Gordon, now 38, and former Scotland star Alan Brazil.

Torbett also denies further offences against Mr McGrory at two cinemas, two restaurants and a bowling alley.

The trial continues on Monday.

Jock Stein covered up sex claims to protect his Celtic; Trial told of order from manager.​

JOCK Stein and the Celtic board covered up allegations made against Boys' Club founder Jim Torbett, it was claimed yesterday.

Torbett, who is now accused of abusing three boys while he was at the club, was literally kicked out of Parkhead by Stein, a court heard.

But when the claims subseq9uently surfaced, Celtic manager Stein and the directors were anxious to keep the image of the club clean and nothing more was done about them.

The claim was made by former Celtic Boys' Club chairman Hugh Birt, 61, who said he felt "fabulous" when the Daily Record broke a story about Torbett two years ago.

Mr Birt told Glasgow Sheriff Court that when he first heard about the allegations he didn't have enough evidence to go to the police.

Asked how he now felt about giving evidence against Torbett, he replied: "It's a tremendous relief for me because I have been carrying it about for 25 years."

He said he was asked to be chairman when Torbett was "put out" of the Boys' Club.

Asked who got rid of him, Mr Birt said: "According to Mr Stein, he literally put his foot up his backside and kicked him out. It was all covered up by Celtic as to why."

He admitted that he had a good relationship with Torbett, who returned to the Boys' Club as a fund-raiser several years later.

Mr Birt said: "There was a lot of hearsay and it wasn't until Jim came back that I got involved because things started up again."

He told how he took the allegations against Torbett to the Celtic board and Stein and even told the then vice-chairman, Kevin Kelly, about them at a meeting in his car.

He said: "Although there were people who spoke to me I couldn't go to the police without actual proof of the allegations. When I joined as chairman, I was told by Jock Stein to keep the name of Celtic Football Club clean at all times."

He denied a suggestion from Alan Nicol, defending, that he was a "troublemaker" and that he had been forced to leave the Boys' Club for spreading gossip about the sexuality of a referee.

Kevin Kelly, 61, a director of Torbett's Trophy Centre firm, said during his time at the club no one made any allegations and he denied ever meeting Birt to discuss claims against Torbett.

Another Trophy Centre director, Gerald McAleer, 42, who played for the Boys' Club when Torbett was there, denied in evidence that his silence had been bought.

As a youngster, he had gone on trips with other boys to the cinema and restaurants with Torbett as well as going to his flat, but said he had never seen anything amiss.

Most of the time he was in the flat, Torbett's mother was there. He said he had a good relationship with Torbett then and was still friends with him now.

He was "absolutely positive" that he had never seen Torbett interfere with one of the alleged boy victims, James McGrory.

Torbett, 51, of Burnbrae Road, Auchinloch, Lenzie, near Glasgow, denies three charges of shameless indecency involving James McGrory, now 44, David Gordon, now 38, and former Scotland star Alan Brazil.

Torbett also denies further offences against Mr McGrory at two cinemas, two restaurants and a bowling alley.

The trial continues on Monday.

For me Hugh Birt is the only man of integrity at that shitehole of a club.

He only made the wrong choice on who he took his concerns to.

He took those concerns to Kevin Kelly.

Not sure of the full details of this case & obviously not anything to do with CBC cases but Glasgow City Council are having to pay a man £1.3 million abused by his foster carer back in the 80's. Could this possibly be an indication of financial punishments going forward?
Even more interesting is fact it brings seperate entity into the equation.
Different council at time as was Strathclyde. Different political party in control.
Still responsible due to vicarious liability.

Hey, mate, quick question. Has Celtic ever even used the "separate entity" defense in a court of law or any filing?
I did some quick reading, and I venture to say that any lawyer would know that it will not hold water. I further think that a "separate entity" is just a PR line to buy time. From a legal perspective, their strategy has to be to try and settle. I am not a Scottish lawyer but have worked in American law. My understanding is UK law has recently changed on this matter to become much similar to the rest of the English-speaking world. They have to know they do not have a prayer winning this thing. I could see how they could drag it out for a while longer, but they have to know they will lose.

Since part of these crimes took place in America, I would wonder if anyone has tried to use American RICO laws to go after Celtic. In America, we have a law that says that if an organization exists to conduct criminal activity, just being a member of that organization is a crime. You could make a convincing argument that Celtic Boys Club existed to give its cadre access to victims.

Hey, mate, quick question. Has Celtic ever even used the "separate entity" defense in a court of law or any filing?
I did some quick reading, and I venture to say that any lawyer would know that it will not hold water. I further think that a "separate entity" is just a PR line to buy time. From a legal perspective, their strategy has to be to try and settle. I am not a Scottish lawyer but have worked in American law. My understanding is UK law has recently changed on this matter to become much similar to the rest of the English-speaking world. They have to know they do not have a prayer winning this thing. I could see how they could drag it out for a while longer, but they have to know they will lose.

CFC only started making distance with CBC when the police became involved and continue to claim that distance was always there and CBC were in fact a "seperate entity" (which has been proven to be false)

Then Changing the name of CBC to StPatricks Academy to create further distance?

I think this one is going to court

CFC only started making distance with CBC when the police became involved and continue to claim that distance was always there and CBC were in fact a "seperate entity" (which has been proven to be false)

Than Changing the name of CBC to StPatricks Academy to create further distance?

I think this one is going to court
You sound like you are better informed than me on this topic. So I was a paralegal in America for a good long time. My question is, has Celtic ever used the "separate entity" in court? I have not followed this as closely as some here, but I have only heard them use that with the press.

Long story short, I have seen companies lose separate entity defenses here in America with much, much less evidence against them than is being presented just on this forum.

Any separate entity argument is dead when a Celtic coach could FIRE a coach at the Boys Club.

That is why they know their goose is cooked, and they are trying to buy time to reach settlements.

You sound like you are better informed than me on this topic. So I was a paralegal in America for a good long time. My question is, has Celtic ever used the "separate entity" in court? I have not followed this as closely as some here, but I have only heard them use that with the press.

Long story short, I have seen companies lose separate entity defenses here in America with much, much less evidence against them than is being presented just on this forum.

Any separate entity argument is dead when a Celtic coach could FIRE a coach at the Boys Club.

That is why they know their goose is cooked, and they are trying to buy time to reach settlements

A Celtic Manager

I really do hope this is the case, though I have lingering doubts.
Like you, I no longer live in Scotland (perhaps you do now?), but if this case is confined to Scotland then the fact that the judicial system and the state are not independent of each other (if what I read is true) may allow some foul play behind the scenes.
It really has to go to England, imo.

Back