Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Again we apologise that we can’t mention more on this, but I know you’ll understand.
With reading thread,admittedly not from beginning. I can understand and see you have said this on a few occasions and fully understand that some things cannot be said on a public forum for fear of jeopardise to case. But it is in a way pleasing to see some things coming to light more which can relieve some stress on the people behind the case and lets them talk more about it without repercussions. I just hope that finally it will all come out for all to see and many will see the real story

For those wondering what will happen if the judge refuses the class action, then it would mean the survivors would have to go forward individually.
I hope this judge doesn't bottle it and bend to the celtic name and reputation on the premise of "missing documents".
I hope the group can get the verdict and go forwards as a battalion and destroy them in the court room.

Even if they did find the bit of paper dating back to the 60’s which says they are separate entities, their actual behaviour over 4 decades demonstrates a clear and practical connection between the two.

In other words, despite what the original constitution might say, the reality is that Celtic were inextricably linked to the boys club and regarded them as their feeder academy. This is abundantly clear from their own club publications and something which Spotlight have highlighted time and time again.

Going by spotlight posts of statements made in CFCs own official magazine it seems to me this
piece of paper(if it even exists) was forgotten about in 1970 when the boys club was brought "closer" to the club.

60s,70s,80 & 90s

Every decade children were abused at that rancid organisation and they knew and did nothing

For those wondering what will happen if the judge refuses the class action, then it would mean the survivors would have to go forward individually.
Good to hear there are still options available should the judge unfathomably decide to ignore the mountains of evidence that has come from the defendants own publications, not to mention the previous judgement.

That would just mean Celtic having to pay a massive amount more in solicitor hours then, as I would imagine the victims ain’t going to give up now. Surely the judge can see the merits in a class action, given the amount of solitary civil actions that would come instead, and the subsequent knock on effect to judge/court time.

Hard to see the action being refused though, especially given Celtic’s defence basically was being unable to find an old document. Which is about as weak an argument as you could possibly get. It’s actually embarrassing, and I would like to think Roddy Dunlop was embarrassed by offering that defence.

It seems like their attempt to have the action dismissed is a last throw of the dice here. They're basically admitting they can't prove themselves to be a separate entity which is just baffling considering they've been fairly adamant they are! Were Thompsons expecting that?

Celtic have already lost a civil case Mackania.

The difference is that the first one was only based on McCafferty abuse, who they must have accepted was an employee.

They’re trying the separate entity argument now despite evidence that Torbett & Cairney we’re CFC employees.

Celtic have already lost a civil case Mackania.

The difference is that the first one was only based on McCafferty abuse, who they must have accepted was an employee.

They’re trying the separate entity argument now despite evidence that Torbett & Cairney we’re CFC employees.
Oh I've a lot of faith that this will succeed, the work done by all of you will see to that, I'm just amazed that their whole claim to be a separate entity is requiring papers that have been 'lost'. If that's all they've got to defend themselves then why are they bothering with a defence at all!

Which would essentially drive up the cost to the public tax payer. We have already paid enough by having a justice system that seems to seek to enable institunolised pedophilia. More importantly it would most likely make the ordeal more difficult fo each of the surviour's, I'd imagine it would be easier on your mental health to do this alongside other victims who can can support you and you them.

Once these basturds are finally served justice I hope that those in the justice system who are culpable of covering their crimes upnis also brought to justice and the laws are changed accordingly to make sure that something like this can never happen again.

Which would essentially drive up the cost to the public tax payer. We have already paid enough by having a justice system that seems to seek to enable institunolised pedophilia. More importantly it would most likely make the ordeal more difficult fo each of the surviour's, I'd imagine it would be easier on your mental health to do this alongside other victims who can can support you and you them.

Once these basturds are finally served justice I hope that those in the justice system who are culpable of covering their crimes upnis also brought to justice and the laws are changed accordingly to make sure that something like this can never happen again.
I suspect if a Scottish court refuses to accept a class action, then the lawyers will appeal the decision as far as the UK Supreme Court, where they will almost certainly win.
The crooks running the Scottish government legal system will know they need to try to keep the substantive claims within the Scottish court system in order to try to limit the damages that their favorite club will have to pay!!!

What a monumental day tomorrow will be. It’s my hope that the victims are given the green light for their day in court as a group. There’s greater strength in numbers and justice will prevail despite whatever hurdles are placed in its way! Along with the bravery of each and every one of these victims, a special mention must go out to these people that formed ‘spotlight’, giving their time, viewing first hand these atrocities, enduring through trauma, researching, providing evidence and getting things along with the lawyers to this stage. You’re the very best of us. Well done and thank you.

My missus is a litigator and junior advocate and has just said the Celtic defence seems a ‘bit technical’ and not something she would be overly happy going with if it was her case. She did caveat that RD has been doing this longer than her and she would need to read more than what I told her.

Got to hope that means it’s an act of desperation and once the court tells them to get real they will properly come to the table re: compensation for all the kids life’s ruined.

Oh I've a lot of faith that this will succeed, the work done by all of you will see to that, I'm just amazed that their whole claim to be a separate entity is requiring papers that have been 'lost'. If that's all they've got to defend themselves then why are they bothering with a defence at all!
Their ‘evidence’ is based on something that doesn’t exist! Desperate stuff.

I've read a number of times on this thread how the Spotlight team described themselves as amateurs. That may have been true at the start but with the hours, effort and sheer determination put in over the years I'm not sure that designation is still appropriate. Amateurs would carry on with a defence that has proved time and time again to be false. Amateurs would claim they have evidence but can't produce it. No matter what happens tomorrow, Spotlight can stand tall for all they have done for the victims

Missing bits of paper poor memory they cannot recall could be the SNP. Spotlight have produced a mountain of evidence showing the connection that plus internal investigations show that they are linked. If Judge cannot see that Scotland is fecked as badly as Russia.

This more important than last week the league or Belgrade only events in the East come close at the moment.

Onwards Spotlight he spirit of the righteous

If they are forced to defend ,the fact is a genuine claim against them they are forced to tell the stock exchange are they not ?

It would surely be a crazy decision to refuse?

There are cases of historical sex abuse against children being raised all over the world these days, and rightly so. Maybe the phrase "better late than never" is crass, and not applicable to such a horrendous crime, but closure for victims and their families will maybe feel like "better late than never".

But where historical cases are being raised and heard and (importantly) agreed with by judges throughout the world, imagine that one wee judge in Scotland who says "nah, not heinous enough for class action!"

I request anyone, regular on here or not, to find a bigger cover up, and child sexual abuse / paedophile ring, in a sporting institution or associated business anywhere in the world.

Because I can't.

Read my post again, if you need to.

In context. A country with approx. 6m people has potentially the biggest paedophile ring in a sporting institution in the world.

Some countries have 50m, 100m, 200m + people. And even they don't have a sports club that committed as many sexual crimes against children as Celtic FC.

Even if they did find the bit of paper dating back to the 60’s which says they are separate entities, their actual behaviour over 4 decades demonstrates a clear and practical connection between the two.

In other words, despite what the original constitution might say, the reality is that Celtic were inextricably linked to the boys club and regarded them as their feeder academy. This is abundantly clear from their own club publications and something which Spotlight have highlighted time and time again.

Celtic FC (and PLC) have referenced within the last few years that the Boys Club was part of their setup. They didn't meant to. But when you have so much dirt to cover up, some things slip through the net.

That's what I'm reading, but I'm thinking "surely to fùck that’s not what you're going to court armed with?".

Fingers crossed that today is the day.
Luckily it's not the SFA or Holyrood that is running the show as that would be enough evidence to get them off the hook.

Like the their version of "I don't recall", " I can't remember", "we didn't take minutes" x50.

BN94 I’m sure I speak for all the victims and their families when I commend you guys for your effort over the past years.

I hope when all this is over and everyone gets the result we’re hoping for that you can get back to a life that resembles some sort of “normal”, it can’t be easy going through all this and hearing the horrors that these kids and families had to put up with.

Hope we get a good result today for justices sake, but in this backwater country you never know.

Latest posts

Back