Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Simply a Bear

Spotlight doesn’t just hunt down perpetrators and enablers linked to that club. We also assist survivors in helping to speak to the correct people. We know survivors view this thread. Anyone who has contacted Spotlight knows we treat it with complete confidentiality. That will never be compromised.

It is really amazing and humbling to think this thread was started as a discussion of this scandal, and has now evolved into supporting survivors in their push for justice, and now has an organised team helping to bring information into the public domain.

I truly believe that the survivors will get, what is for them, justice. I also believe that this scandal will one day be headline news around the world.

I hope that survivors who view this thread find some comfort in knowing that every member on this forum and thread is behind them.

BN94

Ministers past and present are to face a “grilling” in the latest public hearings of the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry.

The inquiry into historic abuse, chaired by Lady Smith, has already heard damning evidence about the neglect and brutality endured by young Scots over many decades.

Now senior politicians and civil servants will be asked to explain their relative inaction when calls for a public inquiry into institutional child abuse in Scotland were turning into a clamour.

Lord McConnell of Glenscorrodale, the former first minister, will give evidence this week, as will Cathy Jamieson, minister for education and young people and justice minister in his successive Labour governments. Peter Peacock, who followed Ms Jamieson at education, Michael McMahon, former Labour MSP, and the retired civil servant Colin MacLean will also give evidence. The hearings, which begin tomorrow for the next fortnight, will hear written contributions from Jeane Freeman, the health secretary, and Gerald Byrne, a senior civil servant, this week.

These witnesses will be followed next week by senior figures in the SNP, which has been in power since 2007.

John Swinney, deputy first minister and education secretary, and Kenny MacAskill, former justice secretary, are also thought certain to be called.

Mr MacAskill, now an SNP MP, was considered by opponents to have been a major obstacle to an inquiry. Graeme Pearson, the former chief police officer who was Labour’s justice spokesman during his time as an MSP from 2011 to 2015, was among the MSPs pushing for an inquiry on behalf of constituents.

He said: “As a new parliamentarian, I naively thought that ministers and senior officials would be keen to hear about these matters and do all they could to try to make things right. I was shocked at the lack of urgency, even though by 2011 the calls for an inquiry into institutional abuse, and the need for accountability, seemed irresistible.”

One insider said he had been told that ministers and civil servants would face a “grilling” in the days ahead about why they took so long to act. He added: “Noises emerged as far back as 2004 when Labour was in power. In 2007 the Shaw Report was commissioned and confirmed there had been widespread abuse and neglect. More funding was required to investigate further, but requests were turned down and there was a feeling that the Scottish government wanted to avoid scrutiny.”

Alan Draper, of In Care Abuse Survivors, said: “It is only right that people like Jack McConnell and Kenny MacAskill are held to account in the same way the inquiry in England and Wales has held politicians to account. We need to understand why there was so much delay, why the politicians seemed intent on getting away with doing as little as possible. I was chair of INCAS back in 2004 and wrote to every MSP. The evidence for action was overwhelming and Jack McConnell issued a public apology as a result, but he should have known an apology was not enough.

“Sixteen years later we are finally in the midst of an inquiry, but for many of our members it is too late. Frank Docherty, who founded our group, is just one of many members who have died and been denied justice.”

A Scottish government spokesman said: “We continue to listen to all the issues and are determined to ensure lessons are learnt to better protect children in care and support survivors.”

Mackania

One insider said he had been told that ministers and civil servants would face a “grilling” in the days ahead about why they took so long to act. He added: “Noises emerged as far back as 2004 when Labour was in power. In 2007 the Shaw Report was commissioned and confirmed there had been widespread abuse and neglect. More funding was required to investigate further, but requests were turned down and there was a feeling that the Scottish government wanted to avoid scrutiny.”
One insider and several million outsiders thinking the same thing there.

Grigo Yossarian

The quest for justice by a particular few on this thread is simply remarkable.

When do the victims get their day in court, or Is there a date in place already?

It feels like the incredible effort has been ongoing forever, is there any light at the end of the tunnel for the survivors?

Theres already been a successful civil case WAR, as well as the criminal convictions mate.

We don’t want to release the players name out of respect.

There are a significant number in progress which, as BN94 Said, have not been helped by the COVID impact to the courts.

bad boy boogie

In the article,is an email address for questions to be submitted for their AGM.

I'm sure many would like to ask:
1.why they covered up child sex abuse inside their club for 50 plus years.
2.why they never actually questioned victims of child sex abuse at their club as part of their "internal investigations".
3.why they failed to disclose the child sex abuse inside their club and the results of their internal investigations to shareholders,public and stock exchanges.

I'm sure there will be many other questions bears and victims will want answers to.....

denzie

Perhaps survivor support advocate Ian Ackley would be able to assist victims/survivors, providing help in accessing services which provide expert support for those abused. Ian himself a victim of notorious Barry Bennell could maybe point those in need of support in the right direction.
just seen a report on sky sports news English FA leading the way with support for victims,
Scotland could learn a lesson or two.

Lucifer666

To think Pat Nevin 'laughed it off' when discussing this subject in a recent interview. He got serious negative for that, will his conscience get the better of him as time passes? I've never liked that wee weasel ever.
When the whole sorry story properly breaks they’ll be falling over themselves to condemn it, wringing their hands in sorrow and revulsion when the truth is they all stood by and done nothing for decades. You can’t come back from that, they are finished in terms of media work.

Fairs fair

To think Pat Nevin 'laughed it off' when discussing this subject in a recent interview. He got serious negative for that, will his conscience get the better of him as time passes? I've never liked that wee weasel ever.
Since then he has totally blanked Scottish football, you would normally hear him on radio commenting, but now nothing. He's trying to punt his book, so its back to the hipster indie music guy image that sells in England

Dr Steve Brule

When the whole sorry story properly breaks they’ll be falling over themselves to condemn it, wringing their hands in sorrow and revulsion when the truth is they all stood by and done nothing for decades. You can’t come back from that, they are finished in terms of media work.
BN, Grigo and their team have said numerous times on this thread that every one of these enablers will be outed, named and shamed when the time is right. Politicians that ignored the pleas for help, journalists that ignored the story, the lot.

Given what this team has achieved so far, I would not want to be in their shoes.

Tick tock.

Woodrow Call

The quest for justice by a particular few on this thread is simply remarkable.

When do the victims get their day in court, or Is there a date in place already?

It feels like the incredible effort has been ongoing forever, is there any light at the end of the tunnel for the survivors?

The courts are an absolute shambles at the moment to the point they are running out of cinemas. Huge backlog.

Robertjohn

I stumbled across a really good video, sums these beasts up. Would post but unfortunately not savvy enough to post.

its on Youtube, titled T

change consent