Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Really?

I thought they’d offered a huge compensation payment and issued an apology.

F uck them, if that’s not the case.

I am actually amazed how quiet the sponsors have been in all of this - without a doubt they are seen as standing by a group that have covered up child abuse for years and years. Stood beside a group that have used every possible excuse to squirm out of any responsibility.

For someone like Adidas it's not going to hurt them all that much not having a relationship with Celtic. A lot is probably going to come out over the months to come and people like Adidas are without a doubt going to be linked. A lot of people will be ensuring that is the case.

Last edited:

Celtic FC has been urged to face up to its responsibilities after a judge ruled that sex abuse survivors could launch a multimillion-pound claim against the club.
Lord Arthurson granted permission for 22 former players with Celtic Boys Club, its feeder club, to launch a class action.

Four men connected with the boys club have been convicted of sexual offences against young footballers.
Two other men with ties to Celtic FC and Celtic East Youth Club — a now defunct feeder team in Edinburgh — have also been found guilty of serious offences against boys.
Ian Mackay QC, representing the survivors, told the Court of Session that Celtic FC and the boy’s club were “intimately connected”.
Roddy Dunlop QC, acting for Celtic FC, said the club would be denied a fair trial because bosses had been unable to trace historic documents that would prove the Parkhead club was a separate legal entity to the feeder outfit.
Confirming the action could take place, Arthurson said: “Having considered parties’ position on the supposed permission application I am satisfied that the relevant criteria in granting this application has been established and I can exercise my discretion to grant the application.”

Patrick McGuire, a partner with Thompsons Solicitors, who leads the legal team representing the survivors, described the ruling as a “watershed moment”.
“The court has sent a clear message to Celtic FC that it will not countenance the club’s continued efforts to engage delay tactics and hide behind legal technicalities,” he said.
He added: “Survivors, the court and all of civic society are unified in their views of the tactics being deployed by Celtic to evade their moral and legal responsibilities.
“Celtic must now face up to those responsibilities and immediately begin meaningful discussions towards ensuring that every survivor receives full financial justice and compensation.”
They brought “group proceedings” against Celtic FC PLC — a procedure similar to US class action style litigations. Group proceedings, which were brought in to Scots law in 2020, allow groups of two or more people with the same, or similar, claims to raise a single action in the Court of Session.

Celtic Boys Club was founded in 1966 after Jock Stein, the Celtic FC manager, gave permission for the club’s name and crest to be used.
In a hearing on Monday Mackay argued the two clubs were inextricably linked.
“Players played in Celtic strips and wore blazers which were virtually identical to those worn by Celtic FC players,” he said. “Football kit, holdalls and training gear was provided by Celtic FC. Celtic Boys Club trained at Barrowfield, the training ground of Celtic Football Club and Celtic Park.”
Mackay said that in the 1980s and 1990s Jack McGinn and Kevin Kelly, then senior members of the Celtic FC board, became involved when allegations of abuse within the boys club emerged.
“Because of the controlling hand of Celtic in the boys club, we say that Celtic FC are vicariously liable,” he said.

In response, Dunlop said: “There are significant documents missing. There are things as basic as the constitution of Celtic Boys Club that cannot be found.”

This Rangers/Celtic game in Oz. I cannot believe Rangers are involved in this. Celtic releasing this to try and bury the other really big news.

On Twitter not even trending in Scotland?

BBC Scotland there leading on the David Goodwillie story WTF?

Only Ukraine could possibly be bigger than Celtic now liable to being sued for abuse surely.

This Rangers/Celtic game in Oz. I cannot believe Rangers are involved in this. Celtic releasing this to try and bury the other really big news.

On Twitter not even trending in Scotland?

BBC Scotland there leading on the David Goodwillie story WTF?

Only Ukraine could possibly be bigger than Celtic now liable to being sued for abuse surely.
Exactly!
Aussie game speculation is obviously to hide the abuse cases!
Celtc PR are miles ahead of us!

Rather an unfortunate phrase 'intimately connected' when referring to sexual abuse I am intimate with my wife but I don't sexually abuse her. Wish that had been phrased better.

Regards Adidas & Coca Cola, perhaps if any bear with tech skills can set up online petitions for real decent football fans/consumers to boycott these products in support of the victims #GoPEPSI #GoNIKE.
When Adidas can get involved for a domestic pet being abused then surely human lives are more paramount, wonder what the RSPCC (or equivalent) would say about that? But I am sure Adidas will use Asian sweatshops to make garments for a pittance to maximise their profits, and as for Coca Cola with their Santa Claus Christmas advert and the connotation of happy smiling children really is a strange one.

If all goes in the right direction during this case then surely Mrs Gray has every right to highlight that the First Minister of Scotland refused to reply or acknowledge her when she was asked to step up and explain why no enquiry has been put in place ?

The fact that a judge has deemed this serious enough to be taken as a court case must surely ridicule the First Minister's judgement in sticking her head in the sand.

A big thank you to BN94, Grigo and the (unknown to me) other members of Spotlight team for their relentless efforts in going through with this. I hope you all sleep a little easier tonight in the knowledge that the scummy club will now have a case to answer and in no small way is this down to the efforts of you guys and gals. Tremendous work. Cap doffed.

Heartening to see the victims get justice but it’s been far, far too long.

Can someone recap how many victims are looking to take Celtic to court and what is a likely ball park figure for compensation or does it vary per case?

Being a bit flippant here so i will apologise in advance but why dont we get in tandem with other clubs supporters and press our respective clubs not to play paedo fc there is a precedent 2012 where supporters demanded there pound of flesh .

Being a bit flippant here so i will apologise in advance but why dont we get in tandem with other clubs supporters and press our respective clubs not to play paedo fc there is a precedent 2012 where supporters demanded there pound of flesh .
In all seriousness it's not a topic to be flillant about.
This is about folk getting justice. Not about point scoring.
Today is the start of hopefully the road to justice for 22 brave men. This process with appeals etc could still take years.
But at least it's a start.

Celtic FC has been urged to face up to its responsibilities after a judge ruled that sex abuse survivors could launch a multimillion-pound claim against the club.
Lord Arthurson granted permission for 22 former players with Celtic Boys Club, its feeder club, to launch a class action.

Four men connected with the boys club have been convicted of sexual offences against young footballers.
Two other men with ties to Celtic FC and Celtic East Youth Club — a now defunct feeder team in Edinburgh — have also been found guilty of serious offences against boys.
Ian Mackay QC, representing the survivors, told the Court of Session that Celtic FC and the boy’s club were “intimately connected”.
Roddy Dunlop QC, acting for Celtic FC, said the club would be denied a fair trial because bosses had been unable to trace historic documents that would prove the Parkhead club was a separate legal entity to the feeder outfit.
Confirming the action could take place, Arthurson said: “Having considered parties’ position on the supposed permission application I am satisfied that the relevant criteria in granting this application has been established and I can exercise my discretion to grant the application.”

Patrick McGuire, a partner with Thompsons Solicitors, who leads the legal team representing the survivors, described the ruling as a “watershed moment”.
“The court has sent a clear message to Celtic FC that it will not countenance the club’s continued efforts to engage delay tactics and hide behind legal technicalities,” he said.
He added: “Survivors, the court and all of civic society are unified in their views of the tactics being deployed by Celtic to evade their moral and legal responsibilities.
“Celtic must now face up to those responsibilities and immediately begin meaningful discussions towards ensuring that every survivor receives full financial justice and compensation.”
They brought “group proceedings” against Celtic FC PLC — a procedure similar to US class action style litigations. Group proceedings, which were brought in to Scots law in 2020, allow groups of two or more people with the same, or similar, claims to raise a single action in the Court of Session.

Celtic Boys Club was founded in 1966 after Jock Stein, the Celtic FC manager, gave permission for the club’s name and crest to be used.
In a hearing on Monday Mackay argued the two clubs were inextricably linked.
“Players played in Celtic strips and wore blazers which were virtually identical to those worn by Celtic FC players,” he said. “Football kit, holdalls and training gear was provided by Celtic FC. Celtic Boys Club trained at Barrowfield, the training ground of Celtic Football Club and Celtic Park.”
Mackay said that in the 1980s and 1990s Jack McGinn and Kevin Kelly, then senior members of the Celtic FC board, became involved when allegations of abuse within the boys club emerged.
“Because of the controlling hand of Celtic in the boys club, we say that Celtic FC are vicariously liable,” he said.

In response, Dunlop said: “There are significant documents missing. There are things as basic as the constitution of Celtic Boys Club that cannot be found.”
BN94, this will conclude with a trail and probable award or an out of court settlement. Could any or all of these scenarios restrict the spotlight team releasing the information that you hold. For me, i would want the world to know who knew what was going on and chose to do nothing. Will you and survivors get the opportunity to name and shame and Not allow these people to slip back into their current comfortable world of anonymity. …I somehow think this is definitely not going to happen but given the legalities to ensure the survivors are rightly protected it could work both ways. Well done and keep up the good work. It’s apparent the Spotlight team have been very patient, guarded and genuinely have best interests of the survivors at heart.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to Celtic's internal investigation that Lawwell supposedly started 2-3 years ago?
It's scheduled to begin the minute they conclude the one into who launched a lighter at Ricksen at The Crime Scene.

These things don't happen overnight.

BN94, this will conclude with a trail and probable award or an out of court settlement. Could any or all of these scenarios restrict the spotlight team realising the information that you hold. For me, i would want the world to know who knew what was going on and chose to do nothing. Will you and survivors get the opportunity to name and shame and Not allow these people to slip back into their current comfortable world of anonymity. …I somehow think this is definitely not going to happen but given the legalities to ensure the survivors are rightly protected it could work both ways. Well done and keep up the good work. It’s apparent the Spotlight team have been very patient, guarded and genuinely have best interests of the survivors at heart.
Spotlight have stated many times that the overriding factor is the welfare of the victims.

When this is all over they intend exposing protectors and prevaricators. From hints given this is a very large web.

That's my take on it.

The appetite from the diddy clubs just isn't there unless we are the subject of their ire.

I doubt any of their fans will show the least bit of interest - especially Hibs who have a very large skeleton in the cupboard.

Was it not Scum FC defence trying to make that very point???
The point I'm making mate.

Separate entity is the basis of their defence, but they can't find the boys club that is supposedly nothing to do with them.

Surely they've just dug their own hole a little deeper?

As we know Celtic announced sometime ago that they were conducting an internal investigation into the crescendo of child abuse allegations, I’m sure it was suggested this was to take the form of an assessment from their insurers over potential liabilities and then it all went very quiet.

I have some knowledge of commercial insurance and can see a huge number of pitfalls for them in the road ahead if they are expecting their liability insurers to meet their eventual compensation bill. Firstly they’ll need to trace who their insurers at the time of the occurrences were, this may not be easy and may involve more than one insurer if they changed provider regularly. If they successfully trace the insurer at the time, they’ll then need to establish if the policy included cover for abuse claims, again will not be easy tracing the extent of what cover was provided at the time (in modern policies you’d often expect this to be a buy back extension and not provided as standard).

If they do manage to trace the insurer and find the relevant wording, I would expect unless the wording is extremely clear that abuse cover is included (extremely unlikely) that the insurer will fiercely resist any claim which Celtic try to pass to them (given the precedent they could set for future claims).
In addition if the policy at the time was on a claims made wording it would render the cover at the time useless for claims made now, there is also the prospect of aggregate limitations on value of claims.

This may have also played into Dunlop’s comments around them not getting a fair trial because they didn’t have evidence of CBC being separate, well if they don’t have valid insurance in place they may have also tried to play this card that they wouldn’t get a fair trial.

I’d imagine they will be desperate to avoid a trial and see out of court settlement as best option, avoid the legal fees and the potential PR crisis of having a highly public court-case and all that could bring out, however, out of court settlements could easily open the floodgates for many others to come forward. Eifher way, this ruling is huge and they’re in a real spot now.

Back